• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DelireMan7

There is also a note sold by a merchant telling you a specific torch can reveal invisible ennemy.

Some stuff can be obscure in this game but this one isn't.

It's like Ranni's quest. I found it rather straightforward. Didn't need help for it.
On the other side the Millicent's one... after you healed her, you have no indication of where she goes. You can summon her on the way to atlus so you could guess she somewhere here but I miss it (she's like standing in a middle of nowhere). Couldn't find her without help.

I guess everyone have different experiences on this game

Freeman76

NG+ is an odd one for me this time around. It feels so wierd just tearing through everything at the start, vs how much of a struggle it was at first. I finished it yesterday after 240 hours at lvl 170. Faced Margit this morning and killed him in 2 specials of rivers of blood 🤣🤣. The game is easily the greatest experience I've enjoyed in gaming since the wonder of new games as a kid. The last 5 or 6 bosses i had to tackle solo as summoning seems broken on xbox, and the satisfaction of beating Malenia and elden beast is unmatchable to me. 10/10 cant wait for DLC.

Freeman76

There is also a note sold by a merchant telling you a specific torch can reveal invisible ennemy.

Some stuff can be obscure in this game but this one isn't.

It's like Ranni's quest. I found it rather straightforward. Didn't need help for it.
On the other side the Millicent's one... after you healed her, you have no indication of where she goes. You can summon her on the way to atlus so you could guess she somewhere here but I miss it (she's like standing in a middle of nowhere). Couldn't find her without help.

I guess everyone have different experiences on this game

Exactly!! I have to admit, during Ranni quest I had to look something up as that illusory floor was really hard to come across, but thats not bad game design, its Souls, they clearly like to create a sense of community and discovery. Some people just dont get what these games are about unfortunately.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sounds like it's a you problem to me. Souls games are all about reading the text and picking up hints. The parts of the game you're losing sleep over are fine if you pay attention, nothing to do with bad game design. There are also spells that clearly tell you they help with these enemies, and if you dont use magic there are ashes as well. I mean, its pretty obvious that a pack of wolves are gonna hound the assassin for example.
Oh yeah because it is my problem that I don’t read every item description from totally another part in the game. Even if I had the torch in my inventory, it’s still a far reach.

Why you people sucking er so much. The game is not perfect and there is no such thing as you problem. I game my whole damn life and finished all these games.
Just like 4 kings. Wtf would honestly without wiki put on the ring and drop somewhere randomly

DelireMan7

Oh yeah because it is my problem that I don’t read every item description from totally another part in the game. Even if I had the torch in my inventory, it’s still a far reach.

Why you people sucking er so much. The game is not perfect and there is no such thing as you problem. I game my whole damn life and finished all these games.
Just like 4 kings. Wtf would honestly without wiki put on the ring and drop somewhere randomly

Maybe not your thing.

The Covenant of Artorias ring was pretty obvious for me. It's clearly stated that you can walk in the abyss with it and Ingward in new londo clearly says that the 4 Kings are down below the city, swallow by the abyss.
Then you cross the boss fog gate and it leads to a pitch black well... For me it was like "Time to put this ring !"

Freeman76

Maybe not your thing.

The Covenant of Artorias ring was pretty obvious for me. It's clearly stated that you can walk in the abyss with it and Ingward in new londo clearly says that the 4 Kings are down below the city, swallow by the abyss.
Then you cross the boss fog gate and it leads to a pitch black well... For me it was like "Time to put this ring !"

Yep another case of not paying attention to something most avid souls players will pick up through being meticulous. I think this guy needs the sites of grace to turn into full on quest trails that hold your hand all the way to the objective. I'm so glad Miyazaki hasn't pandered to the modern gamer, games like this that require attention to detail and thinking for yourself are getting rarer and rarer.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe not your thing.

It's called cryptic shit. The artorias ring did had the description but it wasn't clear where the abyss is.
And at this point, it wasn't clear what the description means.
Now everyone is acting like this was obvious. It wasn't.
Just as the torch in elden ring. Just like Elden Ring quests.
At least quests in trilogy were easier because there was a higher chance to find quest npc along the way since the games were more linear.

I am not asking for quest markers or tips pop ups. Just ANYTHING. Not using a normal looking torch in a middle of the day to see completely invisible enemy who teleports and does not even leave snow footprints. fucking CMON.
EVERY PLAYER WILL DIE THERE AT LEAST ONCE. There is no way someone gets in there and puts on the magic torch. You need to die first to learn that there is an invisible enemy.
I had the blue torch in my inventory, so that would make more sense but no. The normal looking torch does the job.
Why would I even read it's description?! I didn't need anything from that merchant so I didn't pay attention to a torch since I already had one in my inventory... and the belt lamp.
And also - you have to find the merchant an approach him. There are a lot of steps to this and assumptions

This is excusable only by a fact that the area is fully optional secret. That makes is almost ok

Last edited:
It's called cryptic shit. The artorias ring did had the description but it wasn't clear where the abyss is.
At least quests in trilogy were easier because there was a higher chance to find quest npc along the way since the games were more linear.

I am not asking for quest markers or tips pop ups. Just ANYTHING. Not using a normal looking torch in a middle of the day to see completely invisible enemy who teleports and does not even leave snow footprints. fucking CMON.
EVERY PLAYER WILL DIE THERE AT LEAST ONCE. There is no way someone gets in there and puts on the magic torch. You need to die first to learn that there is an invisible enemy.
I had the blue torch in my inventory, so that would make more sense but no. The normal looking torch does the job.
Why would I even read it's description?! I didn't need anything from that merchant so I didn't pay attention to a torch since I already had one in my inventory... and the belt lamp.
And also - you have to find the merchant an approach him. There are a lot of steps to this and assumptions

This is excusable only by a fact that the area is fully optional secret. That makes is almost ok

Even with the torch is exhausting, I don’t think I will be wasting much time in to this quest

DelireMan7

Depends on each player I guess. I immediately understood for this ring.

I haven't reach the stuff with the invisible ennemy but I know that I read a note about it. So yes I might die once to them and then I will understand what I need to do. Because I've read note and description.

I read description of every weapons/armour/talisman/key item I get. It's part of the game for me and kind of necessary.

Some quest are too obscure I agree. Like the Millicent one I mentioned. Without meticulous exploration you don't get clues about her next location

About 60 hours played, taking my time because I can only put a few hours into it every week. I can't think of a game this rich and expansive, it's hard to even keep track of all the options I have regarding places to explore.

I still can't believe that this game, despite all the hype, was able to over-deliver. Hidetaka Miyazaki is on one of the greatest runs of all time since Demon's Souls.

Last edited:
played a bit more this morning. started the mountaintop of giants area. the enemies around zamor ruins were kicking my ass. got to the catacombs and done that. looks like i missed a heros grave though. beat the erdtree avatar + death rite bird. reunited the jellyfish <3.

done the juno hoslow invasion. fuck that cunt. took me about 15 tries. the best thing that worked for me was guard counters + jumping. i went back to volcano manor and seems i have a boss fight now. i'm probably going to do that next and go through the manor dungeon.

went through castle sol. that pigeon with the claws was destroying me and the stupid knights too. fought the boss but i summoned 2 people to help me lol. probably one of the hardest bosses in the game so far! got the other half of the haligtree medallion so went to the consecrated snowgrounds. i know where this path leads so will be keeping that boss fight off a while yet :)

i'll do volcano manor next then eastern mountaintops then snowgrounds.

MadPanda

Banned
I just found out outskirts and only by chance as I was looking for FL area, and that boss introduction was amazing. This game keeps on giving. I'm around 95 hours and it seems like I'm 3/4 through.

Finally meating Malenia is scary huh. Shes like a sekiro boss but you're fighting her with dark souls stamina bs. But she stagger easily and bloodboon incantation from Mohg destroys her first phase.

Freeman76

Finally meating Malenia is scary huh. Shes like a sekiro boss but you're fighting her with dark souls stamina bs. But she stagger easily and bloodboon incantation from Mohg destroys her first phase.

I found her intimidating as fuck for a few fights but eventually found her second form a lot more problematic as her first phase is pretty easy if you use a mimic and let her come to you at the start. Me and the mimic cornered her and in the battle where I was victorious I stunlocked her and didnt take a single bit of damage for phase 1. Still clutched it as phase 2 wrecks me lol

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Please fix it so "A Door has opened somewhere" message doesn't stop me from attacking. Anyone else had that, where you accidentally walk into a room with enemies with that message still displaying and unable to attack, then after you die you realize you forgot to press the triangle(PS45)/Y(Xbox)? Absolutely stupid design choice.

It recently happened in that rise in Giant Mountain where you have to walk on the invisible bridge. I get into the rise and "A seal on the rise has opened" message appears and I immediately get flailed on by those spazzy bat enemies and am unable to attack because I didn't notice the message was displayed until after I died. Thankfully the seal stayed open and I was able to walk in, put those enemies in their place with my blasphemous blade, and reclaim my runes, but that shit should never have happened.

Seriously, how did someone not notice that shit was going to be a problem?

2nd area of frustration, was falling down that hole to get the Frenzy flame ending. From got cute there. It wasn't needed. Wayyy to glitchy. Shouldn't take 30 tries.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Make sure you get the best Katana in the game before beating the fire giant.
I fucked up once with the white mask and beat the boss in the area before getting it :messenger_crying:
I have the Nagakiba and I wasn't a fan. The hit box seems off to me. I went back to the regular Uchigatana despite that the extra length should have made Nagakiba a much better choice. I guess the mystery of whether "longer is better" has finally solved. :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My mimic and me used blasphemous blade on her and she went down rather easily. Took 4 tries, but only because she got me with that scarlet rot AOE attack. Its so hard for me to dodge those fast type of attacks.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey bros, so is anyone doing NG+? How's the difficulty? Was wondering if it would be best to do NG+ or just starting out as a new character.

Also... Favorite boss so far? For setting, design and mechanics, I would say mine is Rykard, but Malenia's a pretty cool fight too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hey bros, so is anyone doing NG+? How's the difficulty? Was wondering if it would be best to do NG+ or just starting out as a new character.

Also... Favorite boss so far? For setting, design and mechanics, I would say mine is Rykard, but Malenia's a pretty cool fight too.
I got the Platinum during NG+. It felt like it went by so fast. That’s because I was solely focused on getting the Trophies and I didn’t have to grind at all.
I did not do the Volcano Manor or Malenia, but most bosses were not bad at all. I was a level 183 when I got to the very end. Godfrey got me once and the Elden Beast got me twice. I was using a 10+ Moonveil and I was taking decent damage away from all the bosses. I’d say if you’re a 170 it shouldn’t be difficult at all. Maliketh went down pretty fast.

Needlecrash

Just made it to the Atlus Plateau. Damn this game is PRETTY. Also I found this Serpent Curved Sword that restores HP upon every kill. VERY USEFUL.

Last edited:

Bojji

I love this game. 55h in...

FP_tdG0XwAQPrTi
FP_tcyyXoA0egCx
FP_tdR7XEAom3Hp

SSfox

Finally switched from my Heavy Longsword +25 to a Warped Axe. It has S scaling for Strength and only 7.5 weight. Swings fast too.

Given the timing difficulty of swinging most of the heavy strength weapons in the game against super fast enemies and bosses, I think this axe might be one of, if not the best strength weapon in the game. It hits very hard but is fast enough to get in a hit or two and then dodge or block.
I've been playing heavy longsword since the earlier and it started to become quite hard tbh, switched to Dual heavy longsword just recently and it's much better. Also specially since i realize i rarely use my shield tbh.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I found her intimidating as fuck for a few fights but eventually found her second form a lot more problematic as her first phase is pretty easy if you use a mimic and let her come to you at the start. Me and the mimic cornered her and in the battle where I was victorious I stunlocked her and didnt take a single bit of damage for phase 1. Still clutched it as phase 2 wrecks me lol

Phase one is rather easy imo, I constantly did it without spirit. What you want to do is do a jump attack and then a combo. She'll likely bleed before she can retaliate. Then, her jumping attack and her thrust can be punished. I noticed she will do waterfowl at 75% and 30% ish. And when her health is back up she does it again at those tresholds. When 25% of her health is gone, expect her to hover and throw a freezing pot.

One time I finished phase 1 with frenzy flame bursts. She doesn't do anything from range.

Phase 2 sucks, but if you can evade the initial slam you have time to buff yourself and call a spirit there. Then, wail on her. I took like 80% of her bar away in just that phase. Her AoE is her weakness here, after it you can unleash.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think I broke the fight with Maliketh….
I got him on the first try with my blasphemous blade mimic. Once he showed his true form. A shot of my blasphemous blade staggered him. I got a crit and then another hit with blasphemous killed him.

Is that what was supposed to happen,…?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Beat millennia in the Halifax tree in my second try. She does have some tough hits but what I find that is killing most people is a lack of patience with her. And when she changes form the host is diving in and getting wiped. Roll away. Run away. I go to help as a cooperator but man if I don’t see these players die left and right because they can’t fall back and keep their guard up.

SkylineRKR

Beat millennia in the Halifax tree in my second try. She does have some tough hits but what I find that is killing most people is a lack of patience with her. And when she changes form the host is diving in and getting wiped. Roll away. Run away. I go to help as a cooperator but man if I don’t see these players die left and right because they can’t fall back and keep their guard up.

I noticed you can easily avoid her crash by running towards her, she'll dive over you every time. But yes the host always needs to stay on the back line. When the host dies its over.
I think I broke the fight with Maliketh….
I got him on the first try with my blasphemous blade mimic. Once he showed his true form. A shot of my blasphemous blade staggered him. I got a crit and then another hit with blasphemous killed him.

Is that what was supposed to happen,…?

Sort of. You can stack posture break so he will stagger in phase 2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I finished the game. Got all endings and 1000G on my XSX. 105 hours. Gonna take a break from this for a LONG while. Hopefully DLC will come. Relied on my mimic tear to get me through most bosses. No shame. I had a lot of fun.

The only end game boss I had difficulty wioth was the two-headed dragon DRAGONLORD PLACIDUSAX. That motherfucker can kiss my ass. Even then it only took like 5 tries and was only difficult due to the beams.
Maliketh, Godrey/Horah Loux, and Radagon/Elden Beast were all taken down in one try. Although, I nearly got killed by Elden Beast, but was able to pop my holy resistance in time and heal and then beat them down with spamming blasphemous blade.
The Sentinel fight right before Maliketh was much much harder for me. Died like 5 times and had to use rot and run to beat him.

The hardest boss/fight for me was Mohg even with total prep. He did insane amounts of damage.

The enemies I hated the most were in no order:
1. Kindred of Rot- Pestilent Mists HURT
2. Imps - annoying little shits
3. Revenants - oh my god did I hate these things.
4. Lobsters - sniper powers
5. Red Wolf - aggressive and very annoying.
6. Warhawks - hard to hit, but easy with range.
7. Bloodhound Knight

Masterpiece 10/10

Last edited:
My mimic and me used blasphemous blade on her and she went down rather easily. Took 4 tries, but only because she got me with that scarlet rot AOE attack. Its so hard for me to dodge those fast type of attacks.
Yeah I just upgraded that blade to +10 and she melts the first round easy damn. I need Tishe to survive the second phase and I got it.

Also that lobster meat blackguard sells you (grinded 100 k runes and bought like 150 of em haha) and the dragoncrest medallion +1 for physical damage lets me survive Malenia waterflow most of the time.

Hinedorf

Banned
I've been fast tracking on NG+ and it's just so fun smashing through everything in one shot, I've jumped into the whole Rivers of Blood build which just absolutely breaks the game. If there's anything I can say for Rivers of Blood it makes me feel like my first go-thru was honest. This time around it's a clown show and in a fun way.

200+hours and would rather play this again than something else

V4skunk

Banned
the dungeons are my favourite part and i'm making sure to do them. it's the open world that is frustrating me. it's so boring. it was exciting maybe the first 15-20 hours but i've seen it all now. it's all the same copy + pasted dungeons/caves and bosses. stupid items i don't even need are locked in landmarks.

if we get Elden Ring 2 i want them to either seriously improve the open world or go back the old ways of smaller more linear maps. it feels like the game is open world just for the sake of it and to pump up game time.
What do you think about ubisoft openworld or Botw or horizon?

The_hunter

Finished the game, 120 hours as a Sorcerer, cleared every area. The final battle was incredible, one of the best bosses in any videogame! Overall I liked the game a lot, there's a lot of room for improvement in the design, but it's an incredible game when you consider it as a whole.
I almost want to play the game again as a different character after completing the game, that says something about how much fun I had.

SkylineRKR

I finished the game. Got all endings and 1000G on my XSX. 105 hours. Gonna take a break from this for a LONG while. Hopefully DLC will come. Relied on my mimic tear to get me through most bosses. No shame. I had a lot of fun.

The only end game boss I had difficulty wioth was the two-headed dragon DRAGONLORD PLACIDUSAX. That motherfucker can kiss my ass. Even then it only took like 5 tries and was only difficult due to the beams.
Maliketh, Godrey/Horah Loux, and Radagon/Elden Beast were all taken down in one try. Although, I nearly got killed by Elden Beast, but was able to pop my holy resistance in time and heal and then beat them down with spamming blasphemous blade.
The Sentinel fight right before Maliketh was much much harder for me. Died like 5 times and had to use rot and run to beat him.

The hardest boss/fight for me was Mohg even with total prep. He did insane amounts of damage.

The enemies I hated the most were in no order:
1. Kindred of Rot- Pestilent Mists HURT
2. Imps - annoying little shits
3. Revenants - oh my god did I hate these things.
4. Lobsters - sniper powers
5. Red Wolf - aggressive and very annoying.
6. Warhawks - hard to hit, but easy with range.
7. Bloodhound Knight

Masterpiece 10/10

Imps can be totally fucked up by crystal darts. Revenants yes I hate them but do you know

you can one shot them with a great heal/lords heal? They lost like 80% and are insta staggered for a finishing blow

Red Wolf sucks ass. Because the only time I can hit it is after its upward headbutt or double attack. Lobsters should be cooked and eaten, these guys are trash.

I would add those fucking huge birds who attack relentlessly just as my number one bane of existence; the fucking bears. They outrun you, which makes it all the worse. And, fuck those Siofra archers. And those Ordina archers but thats only like 3 or 4 in the game.

Bloodhound is okay ish, they do get predictable. They sort of attack like Artorias.

Cyberpunkd

Some nice progress, I killed
Azula
, and will probably work at
Black Knight Ringleader
for that sweet summon. Afterwards should be the capital since I want to do all the
Volcano Manor
before facing the boss (and you need a separate area unlocked to do that).

Last edited:
I have the Nagakiba and I wasn't a fan. The hit box seems off to me. I went back to the regular Uchigatana despite that the extra length should have made Nagakiba a much better choice. I guess the mystery of whether "longer is better" has finally solved. :p
i got the nagakiba too and im disappointed in it. wasted stones getting it to +22. i was trying to fight the juno guy and thought ill use my nagakiba to put a bit of distance between us but nope. didnt help. uchigatana and bloodhound are still my fav weapons.

Interfectum

Played the game as much as I could over the weekend. Level 70 with a blend of sorcery and swords and Radahn, among other bosses, down. I can't get over how much I love this game.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

FUCKKKKK if you kill the boss of Volcano Manor it cancels all the invasion quests you haven't done.

Now I can't invade Vargram to get his armor.

I hate this shit.
Yup, and the worst thing is you need access to Mountaintop of the Giants in order to finish that quest line, which requires going through the capital.

gonna cry tobey maguire GIF

At least the swamp area is bearable this time.

Last edited:
So I’m wondering if anybody else has had this issue (on Xbox), but since the 1.03 patch I haven’t been able to summon anybody into my game, but I can still be summoned into other peoples’ games. Every time I try it says “Failed to Summon.” I have no idea why it makes no sense, and I’ve tried regarding setting and my internet.

Top Bottom