• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SkylineRKR

Great heal or lord's heal = dead revenant. Those guys are actually a joke if you have one of those spells.

Malenia is the hardest souls boss ever and anyone saying she is easy can suck my pee pee.

Ludwig and Orphan are like little babies compared to her.

She def took me the most retries. And eventually I locked phase 1 down, without summon or physick. Just pure melee. It was mostly a case of having the reactions and ability to throw a pot in time at her flurry. Though I kinda know how to evade it.

Phase 2 however is just annoying. But I can probably do it more consistently now as well. You could just bait her AoE, and punish that. She's a glass cannon here.

Last edited:

slade

While going through the Mountintop of Giants, I stumbled on the 2nd half of the medallion that gets me to the Haligtree area. Should I continue and finish Mountaintop area or should I do Haligtree first? Which makes more sense, i.e, which area has higher levelled enemies?

SkylineRKR

While going through the Mountintop of Giants, I stumbled on the 2nd half of the medallion that gets me to the Haligtree area. Should I continue and finish Mountaintop area or should I do Haligtree first? Which makes more sense, i.e, which area has higher levelled enemies?

Finish mountaintop first. Make sure you get the Katana before you delete the area lord. Haligtree is tough, its tougher than Farum Azula imo.

Last edited:
Malenia is the hardest souls boss ever and anyone saying she is easy can suck my pee pee.

Ludwig and Orphan are like little babies compared to her.

Nah shes only hard because she heals herself which FROM added to counter the summons/overpowered weapons. Shes also optional. If anyone tells you, that you should not use those they are an idiot. Literally every streamer and every person has used some dumb overpwoered build even without summons. If you watched streamers when they first started they all played dual wield shit which was also OP in DS3. Use whatever tools the game gives you and dont feel bad. Ez game.

SkylineRKR

I feel kind of dirty killing Jars. I tend to run past them lol. I like Alexander a lot too.

In fact

I fought him fair. No spells etc. He even killed me once, I somehow got blasted off the edge. Didn't want to fight him but FROM gonna FROM, no happy endings for any character.

How about a run of pot throwing, lol.

Last edited:
Nah shes only hard because she heals herself which FROM added to counter the summons/overpowered weapons. Shes also optional. If anyone tells you, that you should not use those they are an idiot. Literally every streamer and every person has used some dumb overpwoered build even without summons. If you watched streamers when they first started they all played dual wield shit which was also OP in DS3. Use whatever tools the game gives you and dont feel bad. Ez game.
Fair. If solo build its always rivers of blood or some bleed build. Boring way to play tbh.

In the final area and ready for that plat.

Cyberpunkd

Did all the Volcano Manor quests - the woman, the guy, Patches, I think - hope - I should be good.

Tried for the 4rd time to respect to magic, failed again - the thing just doesn't have enough BOOM. Sticking with Giant Crusher (got it to +23).

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Today i'm going to the sewer at leyndell. I was looking for that damn well after killing all enemies around and a couldn't find it, had to watch a youtube video to understad the location.

This is the second time a have to watch for a place. The first time i cleared Stormveil castle and i couln't reach some loot hanging in a balcony and i was getting pist. Had to look at it, there was a stair in plain sight that my brain omitted completely.

Last edited:
cleared up some bosses/areas today.

• killed the putrid tree spirit in the cloister bell.
  • beat the dual fight in redmane castle and done the boss in war catacombs behind radahn.
  • fought gurranq who had turned hostile and beat the black blade kindred outside the sanctum
  • done the spiritcaller cave and the godskin bosses
  • found the catacombs in the hidden path to haligtree. beat stray mimic tear
  • beat the putrid avatar in snowfield area
  • killed the misbegotten crusader in cave of the forlorn
  • got my ass kicked off the great wyrm theodorix, astel stars of darkness, and borealis the freezing fog.
  • got to the ordina lithurgical town but can't be bothered figuring it out today.
tomorrow i'll clear up some more stuff. will try astel + theodorix again. i missed a catacomb so will do that. also have a few hero graves to do still (i hate them). i'll figure out the ordina town. i know where it leads me to but i'm not going there just yet. i'll head to mogwyn before going to haligtree. after haligtree i'll go back to farum azula.

i feel like i'm near the end of the game now. haligtree doesn't look a big area and neither does mogwyn. i'm about half way through farum azula. so as long as i can easily defeat the bosses it shouldn't take too long. i'm lvl 136 now. +10 rivers of blood, +25 uchigatana/nagakiba/arrow/shield, and +9 bloodfound fang.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Haligtree should be one of the last areas you do, but you should handle it just fine if you’ve made it that far. However I’d unlock Azula first so you can purchase higher tier weapons upgrades.

SkylineRKR

Man, boss
Maliketh
is awesome once you figure him out.

I did him in with Zweihander, no summon.

For clergyman, learn when to strike. This is pretty much only after his ground pound (without unleashing shockwaves), he will typically do it after 5 or so strikes. You can also strike him after that long wind up horizontal slash from his right to left, evade into it and punish. I used claw talisman and knights resolve, first jump attack did over 1200 damage. Its evading in quick succession, wait when he rises up, and roll when he pounds. Then punish.

But Maliketh is actually rather easy. Despite me dying on him numerous times because I initially didn't know what to do. The way I beat him was, I kept distance, evading his rather easy to dodge slashes. Evaded his 3 projectiles, and then use the item from Bernahl when he flies into you. The timing is pretty lenient. A few times I was too late and we both got hit. But after this you can get 2 jump attacks in easily. I think you can also parry that downward slam since it resonates gold, but sadly I didn't try (its a nasty attack since it does AoE black flame damage afterward). But when he would fly, I knew I would win because I had the parry down.

Shifty

This has got to be the quickest that a Souls game has suckered me in for a second run - decided to go priest / paladin with a faith build (...Again, since my PC died before I could get going last time. New machine, new character!)

So far I've facerushed my way to Leyndell to get the Coded Sword, and I think I need some offensive incantations - mostly been using Heal / Golden Vow so far with a side of that faith-based L2 projectile + buff, and it feels like my melee skills from playthrough 1 are still pulling most of the weight.

I feel kind of dirty killing Jars. I tend to run past them lol. I like Alexander a lot too.

In fact

I fought him fair. No spells etc. He even killed me once, I somehow got blasted off the edge. Didn't want to fight him but FROM gonna FROM, no happy endings for any character.

How about a run of pot throwing, lol.
Alexander has a great personality, he kind of feels like the Onion Knight of this game - tally ho wot wot and all that.

Though seeing him after the Radahn fight was an 'ah... fell creature' moment :messenger_frowning_

I need to do his quest properly this time around - only saw him at castle redmane on my first run. I'm shocked at how many Limgrave NPCs I missed in my first 80 hours.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
They really hit it out of the park with how awesome armor sets are looking in this game, almost every time I get a new set I want to wear it for a couple hours.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Man Leyndell is just insanely large, but the way it loops around catches me by surprise every single time. Amazing level design.

Yeah, I have two characters past Leyndell now and I can't believe how much I missed my first time through. I didn't even find the sewers on my first character or some of the side areas. This game is like a full RPG plus 5 DLC packs in one beautiful package. Such a breath of fresh air when it seems most other games are much smaller while also charging money for pay to win items and cosmetics. I hope From never changes.

SSfox

OMG!!! This game is really next level!!

FQJ71N5WQAoQ1Om

Last edited:

Malachai

Finally got the plat last night after doing 3 ng+ runs to get all the endings. Took me about 80 hours to do everything on the first run then 5 for run 2 and about 3 for the last run. Had to have quite a few attempts at the last couple of bosses cos they hit like a truck even when over-levelled and mimic wasn't doing much to help but got there in the end. Incredible game overall and I struggle to think how From will top it.

GHG

The Haligtree is literally one bum rush after another. It feels like every other regular enemy is a previous boss in this area. Then to top it all off there are places where there are 3/4 of them at the same time.

Fuck this place. I'm running through and doing item grabs, lost too many runes already.

ssringo

Gold Member
The Haligtree is literally one bum rush after another. It feels like every other regular enemy is a previous boss in this area. Then to top it all off there are places where there are 3/4 of them at the same time.

Don't ya just love fighting multiple strong assholes at once?

I got gud by training my reflexes to rapidly quit game. Burst down one guy, quit to reset enemies, load game and burst the next. I'm too anal retentive about clearing everything and will use cheese if necessary.

SkylineRKR

I liked Haligtree a lot.

The roots were trash, but you can pick them all off with greatbow. After that it was pretty good. Guard counter works wonder there, lots of humanoid enemies. And dragon incantations go through walls, helped me out too. You can bypass the ballistas and Avatar spot by taking the lower route. Revenants can be deleted by area heals so its not much of an issue if you know it. Also, at the more busy areas you can summon.

Also Frenzy burst is so OP. Its probably the best offensive incantation next to the dragon spells. It snipes from bow range and with flame grant me strength it does good damage on my Arcane build (with dragon seal). I one shot birds at FA with it, 2 shot beastmen and 3 shot the mage at the ashen capital.

Last edited:
Nearing the end and can say the lore edges out dark souls 3 and sekiro for me. Bloodborne remains king of course. Just on the top of my head finding out about:

* Ranni Questline and what she wants/is. Also her connection to THAT night
* Radhan and Melenia epic fight that fucked up Caelid, Radhan and Melenia herself.
* The whole of Melenia/ Miquella/ Haligtree ordeal.
* The night of the black knives and Fia's motivation.

So, soo good.

Krathoon

I don't even mind but the stunlock when fighting multiple of these makes it an impossible task:

kt6285i92cm81.jpg

It feels like they designed it for you to cheese or run through.
I saw this video and they have a weakness to healing. Some of the game text mentions it. There is a trick to killing them.

Reactions: GHG

Paulxo87

level 60 quality build gonna respec into spellblade how should I split my int/dex stats for this level? invest more in dex or vigor.

SSfox

Just finish it and i choose the
Ranni Ending

Sekiro was already so epic, but FS manage to follow by another game as epic. To me there is no doubt Fromsoft is the best game dev of the last 10 years for sure.

Now thinking if i'll go NG+ or NG with new build, so much possibilties in this game!!

best looking area in the game
There are so many great looking areas i can't tell, but yes definitely one of the best.

Last edited:
After my arduous collecting of bearings, and with a sizeable rune wallet at my disposal for upgrades, I found myself in the position of trying out weapons and have some fun.

WjRfeKi.jpg

Morgott's blades are kind of clumsy but hit sufficiently hard. And their special skill is pretty neat.

msJZRnQ.jpg

Eleanora's poleblades have a ridiculously cool looking moveset and good bleed procs.

4pwjFZu.jpg

Halo Scythes are a bit on the slow side, but they more than make up for that with their insanely useful ranged skill.

lFKran6.jpg

Magma Blades are a tough one to farm, and even though they look cool I was kind of underwhelmed by their skill. Nowhere near as huge AoE as when wielded by the lizard d00ds.

DelireMan7

yeah cause he was attacking me lol. oh well.

Sad ! He turned hostile after 2-3 deathroots for me and it was really early in the game. He was oneshotting me and I was doing almost no damage. Came back 20 hours later and I could kind of survive but still doing very littlz to his HP. Then mid fight he stopped, apologized and asked for more deathroot.

Not a big quest anyway. You missed some bestial incarnations and a great hammer. I think you get the Ancient Dragon something stone when you kill him. You also get it at the end of the quest

Krathoon

Sad ! He turned hostile after 2-3 deathroots for me and it was really early in the game. He was oneshotting me and I was doing almost no damage. Came back 20 hours later and I could kind of survive but still doing very littlz to his HP. Then mid fight he stopped, apologized and asked for more deathroot.

Not a big quest anyway. You missed some bestial incarnations and a great hammer. I think you get the Ancient Dragon something stone when you kill him. You also get it at the end of the quest
Yeah. I heard about that. He goes feral sometimes and you have to beat him down.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I saw this video and they have a weakness to healing. Some of the game text mentions it. There is a trick to killing them.
Yeah, ‘cuz when I stumble upon a cheap bastard like that - who can also teleport around on top of attacking 15 times a second - the first thing I think of is to use a healing spell. That I may not even have the stats to use.

I find the Runebears to be really annoying too. They are hard to distract.
Those fucking mama bears, the ravens and some dogs will chase you for literal miles if they feel like it - which they most often will. I thought aggro in Dark Souls 2 was ridiculous back then, but this is 100 times worse.

Cyborg

Man, I so fcked up with Rani's quest. I finished it and not realizing that Seluvis
would die (I think by Blaidd)
There goes my chance with the
potion and making that ugly dude into a puppet

SkylineRKR

Yeah, ‘cuz when I stumble upon a cheap bastard like that - who can also teleport around on top of attacking 15 times a second - the first thing I think of is to use a healing spell. That I may not even have the stats to use.

Those fucking mama bears, the ravens and some dogs will chase you for literal miles if they feel like it - which they most often will. I thought aggro in Dark Souls 2 was ridiculous back then, but this is 100 times worse.

Its not obvious, but its in the notes you can buy. And I think the req is about 12 faith, which I should take anyway since Cleanse Me is pretty good as well unless you like farming flies and crafting boluses.

The bears can fuck off. I wonder if they have some sort of weakness. They outrun you, and they have barely any recovery and ignore poise.

Majukun

thankfully i barely failed my first attempt at
killing rygar

suspected it would
fuck up the volcano manor questline
, and it was indeed the case

Last edited:

Boneless

Look, I understand and can relate to all the love that the game is getting, but there seems to be just such a massive oversight that I don't understand that this is not bothering other people. Shame, close to GOTY.

Why are these not gestures??????! Just imagine....
the-pruld-dark-souls.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
After 80 hours with the Bloodhound Fang I respec'd from STR/DEX to INT to use the Moonveil, really not having a good time. The moveset sucks and the damage output is largely dependent on the ash of war so I have to manage FP.

It's kinda wild how early on in the game you get the Bloodhound Fang and how crazy strong it is when upgraded properly.

Top Bottom