• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SkylineRKR

After 80 hours with the Bloodhound Fang I respec'd from STR/DEX to INT to use the Moonveil, really not having a good time. The moveset sucks and the damage output is largely dependent on the ash of war so I have to manage FP.

It's kinda wild how early on in the game you get the Bloodhound Fang and how crazy strong it is when upgraded properly.

Bloodhound is a good end game weapon. I believe you can enchant it, even? Top tier for sure. I think it also beats the Cursed Sword, which is the same type but I like its special less. And you can't enchant it. I beat the final boss with the cursed sword, so Bloodhound would probably be even better (w black flame).

I've used Katanas for a while, and I find that I rely a lot on staggers and stuns. So I rather take something like Bloodhound or colossal swords. Bleed proc works, I have Rivers+10 and Naga+25 on an arcane build, but its not that fun to me and kind of mashy.

Last edited:
After 80 hours with the Bloodhound Fang I respec'd from STR/DEX to INT to use the Moonveil, really not having a good time. The moveset sucks and the damage output is largely dependent on the ash of war so I have to manage FP.

It's kinda wild how early on in the game you get the Bloodhound Fang and how crazy strong it is when upgraded properly.
i love my bloodhound fang. lmao i remember getting my ass kicked off that boss. i’d probably not have bothered going back if it wasnt for blaidd helping me. i still havent done any of the other gaols. well i done one which had a crucible knight but i still struggle with them so not going back!

i have my fang at +9 now. need another ancient somber stone. i mainly use katanas but when i struggle i whip out the bloodhound fang and it wrecks.

I got so many of the ancient dragon somber stone that im upgrading gear to bring to ng+, a far cry from the bloodborne days. Also the game gives you so much more golden seeds than you need.
i have about 7 spare seeds i think. i was worried i had to collect them all and spent a long time fighting the putrid spirit in the cloister bell to get the golden seed but eventually gave up. now im at max flasks. i wish i could get more tears though cause one flask isnt really enough to fill my hp. i think im at +11.

Majmun

I'm really itching to go back to the Lands Between. I also like the theory about future DLC:

We have the Lands Between, where the main game basically takes place. But also the optional Lands Below, where the Eternal Cities are, the Rot Lake and Mohg's area etc
I wonder if the DLC will explore the Lands Above, where maybe the crazy alien/lovecraftian creatures come from. I'm very excited to see where they will go with the DLC.

SkylineRKR

i have about 7 spare seeds i think. i was worried i had to collect them all and spent a long time fighting the putrid spirit in the cloister bell to get the golden seed but eventually gave up. now im at max flasks. i wish i could get more tears though cause one flask isnt really enough to fill my hp. i think im at +11.

There are 12 and there are no spare ones it seems. Only thing you can do is use the talisman and the crystal tear.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I am in Farum Azul and it is a cool area. Made it to the boss and that guy swore to me he would not forget himself again. Now he is just wanting to kill me right out.

Doom85

Man, I so fcked up with Rani's quest. I finished it and not realizing that Seluvis
would die (I think by Blaidd)
There goes my chance with the
potion and making that ugly dude into a puppet

It seems Seluvis dies by making any choice with the potion, and his killer is different as well. I gave it to the Round Table dude to dispose of it (because, you know, rapists can go fuck themselves) and he said he’d deal with it, and soon after Seluvis was found dead and when I explored his tower I found a piece of equipment tied to the Round Table’s assassins.

didn't really do much today. done a catacomb in snowfields. the one with the pillars blowing frost out them and had a couple of those watchdog cunts and some knights. it's so simple but i died many times lol. the boss was so easy.

got the teleport to mohgwyn and found the first site of grace. done the ordina town puzzle (bought sentry torch and wore black knife gear) and got to miquella's haligtree area. again rested at the first site of grace and GTFO. i'm not ready to deal with that shit yet.

i'll try clear up some catacombs/hero graves then i'll go to mohgwyn. after that then it's haligtree and farum azula.
There are 12 and there are no spare ones it seems. Only thing you can do is use the talisman and the crystal tear.
yeah 12 sacred tears. i'm missing one but don't know what one :messenger_grinning_sweat: i will need to visit all the locations and see what i missed.

I'm really itching to go back to the Lands Between. I also like the theory about future DLC:

We have the Lands Between, where the main game basically takes place. But also the optional Lands Below, where the Eternal Cities are, the Rot Lake and Mohg's area etc
I wonder if the DLC will explore the Lands Above, where maybe the crazy alien/lovecraftian creatures come from. I'm very excited to see where they will go with the DLC.
i'm up for any kind of DLC but one with cosmic horror theme...count me the fuck right in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crownttano

I feel kind of dirty killing Jars. I tend to run past them lol. I like Alexander a lot too.

In fact

I fought him fair. No spells etc. He even killed me once, I somehow got blasted off the edge. Didn't want to fight him but FROM gonna FROM, no happy endings for any character.

How about a run of pot throwing, lol.
Hell yeah just got the headgear and talisman this weekend so I messed around with some pot throwing action !! It's damn fun 😁🍻

Death Pigeon Pot Pie!

full video if interested

✌️⚱️💥

SkylineRKR

Yeah I might try that. Pretty cool.

I beat the final boss twice now and I must say its one of my favourite fights.

I love the first fight, against

Radagon. I like that fight a lot. If you bring sufficient holy protection, talisman and spell, and/or item.. the damage isn't that huge. He has long recoveries which means greatswords can also do well there. Its a case of getting the timing down of his final strikes, which have a long windup and roll behind him since they tend to have frontal cone AoE. You can also parry his normal strikes. Its also not hard to break his poise. Fun boss without too much endless flurries.

Elden Beast is pretty fun too. I hate one thing about that fight and that is that he constantly moves away. But his strikes and waves are easy to evade. His ring attack, I just ran through them with holy protection on though you can do running jumps. They didn't seem to damage at all. Homing rain just run away. The only problem is that Elden Stars move, I can't get away from it without bloodhound step or something. For the rest he's easy, just hard to get close to because he's a pussy thats constantly on the move. Hes sort of like Placudisax, but easier.

Kind of hilarious that I died more on Gideon, trying to melee him. That guy hits hard and spams arrow spells. But 3 flame bursts and he's toast and a no hit kill lol.

captainpat

Me: What's with all the bloodstains on this bridge? Are people jumping off it or something?
*godskin noble appears*
Me:
JyDVfsq.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tried new build.
Giant Crusher and ghizza wheel dual wielding.
Seems pretty good. Scaling is so weird though. I get better ar with quality compared to heavy on that crusher

TheBoss1

Hell yeah just got the headgear and talisman this weekend so I messed around with some pot throwing action !! It's damn fun 😁🍻

Death Pigeon Pot Pie!

full video if interested

✌️⚱️💥

Each of those enemies you slapped gave me a tough time, but here you are bitch slapping them with jars lmao

Tomeru

Im getting fucking bored with pvp in this game. The balance is out of fucking whack, its just not fun at times. Maybe I should make a new char and settle at 120 instead of 150, but this time there are just many more options the higher you go.

There are also many more idiotic things too... It feels like a waste of time sometimes.

SkylineRKR

Im getting fucking bored with pvp in this game. The balance is out of fucking whack, its just not fun at times. Maybe I should make a new char and settle at 120 instead of 150, but this time there are just many more options the higher you go.

There are also many more idiotic things too... It feels like a waste of time sometimes.

I hate the PVP here, tbh. Its all sorcery and bleed builds. And mostly 1 vs 2 or 3 since you can only invade co-op. Perhaps not if you do a competitive summon. But bottomline, this is the worst PVP of all. I've kinda enjoyed DeS Remake PVP last year, being summoned as the Monk. This has nothing on it.

I hate the PVP here, tbh. Its all sorcery and bleed builds. And mostly 1 vs 2 or 3 since you can only invade co-op. Perhaps not if you do a competitive summon. But bottomline, this is the worst PVP of all. I've kinda enjoyed DeS Remake PVP last year, being summoned as the Monk. This has nothing on it.
Main issue I have with the PVP (I assume you mean invading?), is that some invaders just come in and immediately run away like I'm supposed to chase them. Fuck that. Come in and fight, if you absolutely crush me, power to you, nothing but respect from me. This whole "I'm gonna run away so you'll chase me and trigger this giant enemy over here...." When that happens I just run off a cliff and die. Not gonna waste my time playing chase with some asshat.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Updates have given some nice performance boosts since launch, had a couple of hours with Series S version on my VRR display and it's nice and smooth now, hopefully they can keep improving the performance.

Topher

Gold Member
Updates have given some nice performance boosts since launch, had a couple of hours with Series S version on my VRR display and it's nice and smooth now, hopefully they can keep improving the performance.

Playing on my newly built PC and it runs about as smooth as you could expect although it seems to be capped at 60fps.

Main issue I have with the PVP (I assume you mean invading?), is that some invaders just come in and immediately run away like I'm supposed to chase them. Fuck that. Come in and fight, if you absolutely crush me, power to you, nothing but respect from me. This whole "I'm gonna run away so you'll chase me and trigger this giant enemy over here...." When that happens I just run off a cliff and die. Not gonna waste my time playing chase with some asshat.
That sucks. My most hated PvP bullshit is when the host glitches his way to some unreachable spot where you can't even see him. I sever the fuck out as soon as I see that.

On the other hand, some PvP encounters lead to strangely fun interactions.
qQ3jycK.jpg

8EWIRHW.jpg

oOUzfAQ.jpg
After being called out for overcompensating with not one but two colossal swords, I thought I'd try these ones just to show that the size of my virile member shouldn't be questioned. They have a nice moveset when dual wielded, one has bleed and the other poison.

Doom85

I did it! Final boss slain! And with all flasks used and only about 100 HP left!

Breaking Bad Aaron GIF
Just Do It Yes GIF by Rocky
We Did It Win GIF by HBO Max
Go Team Win GIF by Disney+

I went with the Age of Stars ending. Ranni is best girl to me, and also my friend said to check afterward, which I need to do so, apparently in the original Japanese it’s made more clear this is the closest to a happy ending for the realm.

Still need time to decide if this will push Bloodborne or another game out of my top 10 of all time. Got to let it sit for a while, you know? Still got a little left to wrap up, primarily beating Malenia who is just…yikes.

Bless you, Miyazaki, and your wonderful team for another unforgettable experience.

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

V4skunk

Banned
1fNkdBa.jpg
Switched to these big bad boys for a bit. They're one of my favorite big dick swords in the entire series.
People say the Great sword is shit!
2 hand that fucker. It's move set is insane though, long reach, fast, has pokey attack. Charged heavy and heavy jumping attack breaks down and crumples all mobs and bosses. The stock Ash the upward strike launches all man sized mobs into the air.
It's like, what isn't to like? It's even 1 or 2 hit kill in PVP.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Holy shit, I beat Malenia on 2nd try 😳

Napoleon Dynamite GIF by Ben L

First time I was kind of fascinated by it all, and the spawn is much closer to her so when I tried to summon, she basically removed 3/4 of my life lol. 2nd time I went in with no expectations. Got to 2nd phase and I was thinking to myself this is death for sure. But holy crap, let me tell ya how OP rivers of blood & a +25 uchigatana blood. Me and the mimic bled her so fast. I couldn’t believe it.

Or I got extremely lucky in RNG of moves.

First time I was kind of fascinated by it all, and the spawn is much closer to her so when I tried to summon, she basically removed 3/4 of my life lol. 2nd time I went in with no expectations. Got to 2nd phase and I was thinking to myself this is death for sure. But holy crap, let me tell ya how OP rivers of blood & a +25 uchigatana blood. Me and the mimic bled her so fast. I couldn’t believe it.

Great job!

And yeah bleed is her kryptonite. That fight is all about outdamaging her as fast as you can.

Dokku

Would anyone be so kind as to drop a bolt of gransax for me on ps5? I've borrowed the game from a friend and have almost platinum'd it after a mammoth 70 hours of play during the last week but realised that I forgot to get the bolt of gransax before I burned the pledge down.

Would be much appreciated!

SkylineRKR

dual sword bleed build can delete her in seconds. You do need some luck, not being too eager at certain health tresholds where she will do waterfowl but sometimes i got her bar so far down that she didn't even do it anymore. I ended phase 2 in 15 seconds after her scarlet attack.

She's also weak to frost. I think it slows her down as well.

Would anyone be so kind as to drop a bolt of gransax for me on ps5? I've borrowed the game from a friend and have almost platinum'd it after a mammoth 70 hours of play during the last week but realised that I forgot to get the bolt of gransax before I burned the pledge down.

Would be much appreciated!
Sure. Need a location you haven't beaten the main boss and a password.

DelireMan7

Finally found Malenia. Having a hard time.
I want to beat her solo with a Str/faith build (Magma Wyrm curveblade). Anyway I don't use the OP mimic tear so my summon is just free heal for her.

I basically can avoid everything but her "anime move" is killing 90% of the time. I start to get the timing but it's really tricky.
A typical fight is lasting 30 sec. I drop her to 50%, she does her move, I die xD

Then I still have to memorize the second phase pattern and find openings.

So far she's flirting a bit much with the "unfair" border that Souls usually avoid. Still enjoy the fight but a bit frustrating

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I basically can avoid everything but her "anime move" is killing 90% of the time. I start to get the timing but it's really tricky.
If you have a shield and enough stamina, you can block the first wave and dodge the rest, thats what I did against that attack.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

If you have a shield and enough stamina, you can block the first wave and dodge the rest, thats what I did against that attack.
No shield unfortunately.

For the moment, I try to keep my distance when she's mid HP. That allows me to run and avoid the first part and then dodge the end.

But if she does it when I am close to her... I have the feeling unlocking make it easier but it's still look too random.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I love when you randomly encounter an NPC in the middle of nowhere who dumps a ton of exposition so vague and abstract that every line makes you go "what", "...wait, what?", "what is happening".

I get the feeling this story is important but I don't understand any of it, lol.

[It is Shabriri in the Mountaintops. I mean, who even is this? Where did he come from? How did he get there anyway?]

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Finally found Malenia. Having a hard time.
I want to beat her solo with a Str/faith build (Magma Wyrm curveblade). Anyway I don't use the OP mimic tear so my summon is just free heal for her.

A typical fight is lasting 30 sec. I drop her to 50%, she does her move, I die xD

Then I still have to memorize the second phase pattern and find openings.

So far she's flirting a bit much with the "unfair" border that Souls usually avoid. Still enjoy the fight but a bit frustrating

She does it at 75% and at 30% ish I think. Its not random, she never does it again unless her health is back up.

What you can do, after hacking away about 25%, stay back and anticipate it. Then quickly throw a freezing pot. This way you do damage and her move doesn't come out.

To evade it, first run away to the back. Second flurry, roll into it. Third one I think backpedal and roll to the side. Its not hard to evade the first 2, and the third alone likely won't kill you if your vigor and defense is good.

Top Bottom