• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Fake

Gold Member
It would be an optional tutorial, just like what they actually did. They only need to extend that tutorial cave idea.

But dude, for real, take a second read of what you ask. You can entirely make infinite loops into the tutorial area and you still want a more long tutorial?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just killed Maliketh the Black Blade on my first try. I thought people said he was hard?
Same here. I beat him on my first try. He was no match for my mimic and blasphemous blade. He didn't even get a hit on me. I honestly thought I had bugged him out. The first part with the beast was much much harder.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Same here. I beat him on my first try. He was no match for my mimic and blasphemous blade. He didn't even get a hit on me. I honestly thought I had bugged him out. The first part with the beast was much much harder.
He’s a pretty fair boss, even if he does hit like a train of trucks. The simple fact that his movements are readable and he doesn’t extend his combos at will in reaction to your inputs makes him so much better than many other bosses. He has patterns you can learn and react to. His first form instead, it’s just another infinite-stamina, ultrafast bs boss making up his combos on a whim just to fuck up any approach you may have in mind.

chris121580

Yeah castle Sol fucking sucks. Was really happy when I beat the boss and could leave that dump.

It's kinda weird how difficult that area feels compared to the rest. Especially those dual greatsword wielding spectres are crazy.
Absolute worst. Such an unnecessary spike in difficulty among what I consider a very fair game everywhere else. I think it's the hardest area of the game

But dude, for real, take a second read of what you ask. You can entirely make infinite loops into the tutorial area and you still want a more long tutorial?
Not that tutorial. Many concepts that are familiar to Souls fans are never introduced to new players. The game system is quite complex and you will be left alone too soon after those quick dialog boxes in the beginning.

SkylineRKR

I hate Castle Sol but I like Haligtree.

The boss of Sol though, I found him easier than those knights ganking you in the area lol. In the boss fight I picked the shieldless one off with a few flame bursts, while damaging the other and finishing him off melee. The boss on his own seems to do only a few moves, mostly that jump attack you can punish. Moghwyn was bad too. And I hated Siofra river.

Maliketh is tough, but he's really fair as the other poster said, apart from the fact he immediately attacks you. Its quite easy to beat him with the blasphemous claw, his dive after his 3 projectiles is an easy punish then. Just press item button when he flies in on you. Phase 1 isn't that bad either, he seems to do the same 5 hit combo a lot ending with the wind up stomp. That and his horizontal charge slash were the 2 things I consistently punished.

Last edited:
I hate Castle Sol but I like Haligtree.

The boss of Sol though, I found him easier than those knights ganking you in the area lol. In the boss fight I picked the shieldless one off with a few flame bursts, while damaging the other and finishing him off melee. The boss on his own seems to do only a few moves, mostly that jump attack you can punish.

Moghwyn was bad too. And I hated Siofra river.
with the sol boss you can get an item that turns his knights on him. if you're lucky they can take about half of his health away before he kills them both.

mohgwyn boss was quite easy for me but there was an attack that caused huged blood loss. i had to spam my flask to stay alive.

i've not reached malenia yet in haligtree but i did beat the loretta knight. it's the standard enemies that are fucking me up. i'm at the elphael area now but don't know what that's like

Last edited by a moderator:
Took out Rykard last night in coop, in my game and my buddies. Great fight, got our asses handed to us the first 2 times but took him out with ease once we learned the pattern.

Then we went and took out the Godskin in Caelid Tower, that was a satisfying fight. Rotten breath is a total game changer for me, only started using it recently and man, it deals pretty good damage and is just reliable to slowly chip away at the enemies health bar.

We're nearing the end game but still so much side stuff to do. Probably just gonna explore tonight and maybe take on Commander Niall.

Currently level 104, 95 hours played.

SkylineRKR

The thing with this game is, people probably don't use items. I hardly do.

But there so much that trivializes fights, spirits aside. First of all there are items that buff you (your poise, resistance, defense, attack etc), but you can throw crystal darts at imps and watch them go crazy. You can use bewitching branches. I feel that you just need to change loadouts more than in Souls. I ignored elemental and magic defense for a good portion of the game, but when I actually did it the likes of Magma Wyrm, Placudisax and final boss didn't do nearly as much damage.

A very good wake up call were those crystal enemies. I couldn't scratch them, but I knew hammers etc probably would. So I leveled such a weapon for a bit just for those kinds of encounters. And ofcourse their are the weaknesses. You can melt Avatars, Hands and tree spirits with fire, and I think Tree Sentinels with Lightning, etc. I think there is more rock, paper, scissors at play here than in classic souls.

with the sol boss you can get an item that turns his knights on him. if you're lucky they can take about half of his health away before he kills them both.

mohgwyn boss was quite easy for me but there was an attack that caused huged blood loss. i had to spam my flask to stay alive.

i've not reached malenia yet in haligtree but i did beat the loretta knight. it's the standard enemies that are fucking me up. i'm at the elphael area now but don't know what that's like

Yeah I didn't know about that item and guess what about Moghwyn. There is a crystal tear that eliminates his blood loss attack. And there is a shackle. So you can nullify him quite a bit.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't know about that item and guess what about Moghwyn. There is a crystal tear that eliminates his blood loss attack. And there is a shackle. So you can nullify him quite a bit.
i didn't know about the crystal tear but i did use a shackle on Mohg The Omen in the shunning grounds but didn't think to use it on bloody Mohg lol.

SkylineRKR

i didn't know about the crystal tear but i did use a shackle on Mohg The Omen in the shunning grounds but didn't think to use it on bloody Mohg lol.

Yeah its not obvious though the tear description does say it. Its not obvious because its found so early, the Purifying Crystal Tear (honestly I had to look up where, its 2nd church). That should be mixed when going against him.

Mossybrew

Continuing along NG+ and I continue to be amazed at all the stuff I missed. I just stumbled into Deeproot Depths, I never knew this place even existed! This game man.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
mjygk6bmdot81.jpg

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Finished it. Took me about 10 tries to get the Elden Lord, but it felt good when I did it. Did the thing where I got all the endings. Xbox did do one odd thing on the frenzied flame ending where it said it needed to be online for Elden Ring and crashed out. But the other times it worked just fine.

An amazing game that combined what I loved about Dark Souls and added some great exploration.

ssringo

Gold Member
Ironjar aromatic is a great counter for assholes with super juicy physical combo strings like the dual weilding banished knight in castle sol.

Just don't use it against lightning buffing enemies.

got throught the rest of haligtree. seriously fuck that area. by getting through it i mean i just ran right through it. you'd think it would be easy running through but nope i still died a lot of times. i don't know i am expected to fight these fucking bullshit enemies. got to malenia. she can go take a fuck to herself. she was wrecking me in 2-3 hits with me doing 0 damage to her. summoned help and even then with 2 other players it took about 20 tries. there has definitely been a huge difficulty spike in the mohgwyn/haligtree and farum azula areas. now i'm back at farum azula and i feel lost. i don't know where the hell i am meant to go now. i'm seriously considering just giving up on the game. i'm lvl 145 with +10/25 weapons and it's ridiculously difficult.

i enjoyed previous games but this is straight up stupid. i can't deal with this shit anymore :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SJRB

Gold Member
got throught the rest of haligtree. seriously fuck that area. by getting through it i mean i just ran right through it. you'd think it would be easy running through but nope i still died a lot of times. i don't know i am expected to fight these fucking bullshit enemies. got to malenia. she can go take a fuck to herself. she was wrecking me in 2-3 hits with me doing 0 damage to her. summoned help and even then with 2 other players it took about 20 tries. there has definitely been a huge difficulty spike in the mohgwyn/haligtree and farum azula areas. now i'm back at farum azula and i feel lost. i don't know where the hell i am meant to go now. i'm seriously considering just giving up on the game. i'm lvl 145 with +10/25 weapons and it's ridiculously difficult.

i enjoyed previous games but this is straight up stupid. i can't deal with this shit anymore :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Later game stuff is pretty harsh, yeah. After getting bodied at Castle Sol I now get two-shotted by invisible ninjas in the Consecrated Snowfield castle.

I could get around Leyndell without any real problem, but now even random mobs are kicking my ass. I think I'll stop pushing forward and go back to previous areas to mop up stuff I haven't done, like Leyndell sewers or Siofra aquaduct or something.

Later game stuff is pretty harsh, yeah. After getting bodied at Castle Sol I now get two-shotted by invisible ninjas in the Consecrated Snowfield castle.

I could get around Leyndell without any real problem, but now even random mobs are kicking my ass. I think I'll stop pushing forward and go back to previous areas to mop up stuff I haven't done, like Leyndell sewers or Siofra aquaduct or something.
if you're talking about the gaol in ordina you can buy a torch from a merchant in leyndell (i think it's a hermit) which when equipped makes them visible.

the only things i've not done are some hero graves and maybe 1 or 2 catacombs. they aren't going to give me enough runes to level up much more. i've done mohgwyn and haligtree. if i hadn't died so many times i could probably be a few levels higher but i'm not sure it'd make much difference. these last few areas just throw enemies at you.

SkylineRKR

Ordina is terrible but there are ways to do it. I picked them off with greatbow and they fell off the roofs. Perhaps Erdtree greatshield works as well. And ofcourse magic resistance. But if you shoot a few off the roofs, you can easily enable the 3 braziers. The one on the ground you can do first, w/e that invisible dude will do. They stay lit.

Those enemies are for some reason tanky, I didn't even kill them.

Last edited:
Struggling with a boss. Decided to go online and summon someone to help me. Someone invades instead.
I waited until he was a few feet away from me and I just alt-f4'd. Fuck this shit.

I know this is the GOTY but I'm really lacking the patience to enjoy it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Struggling with a boss. Decided to go online and summon someone to help me. Someone invades instead.
I waited until he was a few feet away from me and I just alt-f4'd. Fuck this shit.

Which boss are you struggling with? May I ask what level you are and which weapon?

Which boss are you struggling with? May I ask what level you are and which weapon?
Godrick the grafted. Level 30. I'm using some one handed sword +5. I almost killed him a few times.
I picked confessor. I was going for a faith build but I have no idea what to prioritize. I should have picked pure strength first like I always used to do in every souls game before.
I know I probably should watch some guides or read the wiki. But I don't like playing games like this.

Darkone

Hello,

What is a good class/build for a hybrid class?
I always eake melee in souls like games, want to use some magic along the way as well.

GHG

Hello,

What is a good class/build for a hybrid class?
I always eake melee in souls like games, want to use some magic along the way as well.

Confessor.

IMO the faith incantations are far more interesting and versatile than sorcery, but if you want sorcery then go with prisoner instead.

Urban

I tried pvp for the first time .

I’m a lvl 50 strength build and the other guy was a samurai. Damn was he fast and inflicted poison to me. Had no chance and lost 3 times against him.

Can I always play pvp or do I need the item for it ? Because I only have 2 of those invading fingers left

Godrick the grafted. Level 30. I'm using some one handed sword +5. I almost killed him a few times.
I picked confessor. I was going for a faith build but I have no idea what to prioritize. I should have picked pure strength first like I always used to do in every souls game before.
I know I probably should watch some guides or read the wiki. But I don't like playing games like this.
Yeah I always do strength 1st too. Turns out it's hard mode in this game. Sure you can end up with a fantastic fuck you shield but the damage output is miserable compared to any other way of playing. Faith is pretty decent but bleed and magic are best.

Talking strength, off the back of my no shield bleed run success I decided on a real challenge. So I'm doing a hulk run. No shield, no armour only trousers and only heavy weapons. So far so difficult lol. Anyway I'm approaching Godrick soon myself if you want some gaf coop help. Playstation only.

luffie

totally different experience. Was summoned by others for Godfrey, and an invader came, and we quickly destroy him, and bow to each other after. Then proceed to face Godfrey, what a moment.

just finished the game! i was getting frustrated with the it towards the end but now i'm a bit sad it's over lol. i feel a bit lost now.

today i started from the site of grace in farum azula just before the red lightning dragon. got up to fight the draconic tree sentinel. i was doing little damage so summoned help. the person who helped me also came in with me to fight malkieth which took a few tries. ofnir was dead in 2 seconds. godfrey took a couple tries with just me and my mimic. i managed radagon myself but the elden beast i only got like 1/4 of health off before it killed me. summoned help and defeated them. i got the age of stars ending. finished the game at lvl 150 and with 109 hours according to steam but in game it is 99 hours and 8 seconds.

i know i'm late to finish and most people have already seen these scenes but i took some screenshots :)

VNlrAm1.jpg

iWUQlM7.jpg

gli8fMM.jpg

TYwDIXc.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Am I right in thinking there's a amulet that negates holy damage that could be use for that major damage dealing scythe wielding boss at the bottom of that Divine tower in Caelid? =P If so I should probably go find it lol

Am I right in thinking there's a amulet that negates holy damage that could be use for that major damage dealing scythe wielding boss at the bottom of that Divine tower in Caelid? =P If so I should probably go find it lol
haligdrake talisman gives resistance against holy.

+1 is in leyndell and +2 is in mohgwyn palace

luffie

I tried pvp for the first time .

I’m a lvl 50 strength build and the other guy was a samurai. Damn was he fast and inflicted poison to me. Had no chance and lost 3 times against him.

Can I always play pvp or do I need the item for it ? Because I only have 2 of those invading fingers left
If you do varre's quest, you will get a bloody finger that allows you unlimited invasion.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
haligdrake talisman gives resistance against holy.

+1 is in leyndell and +2 is in mohgwyn palace

Ahh thanks! I looked him up and it's death what he uses. Thanks anyways =) Lol asshole kills me in 2 shots at 40vigor

Edit got him 70% down. Only matter of time now

Last edited:
started NG+

not sure how long i'll stick with it though. i started just after i posted my comment above and i've already defeated Rennala. took me about 30 or so hours to get to this point before lol. i jumped on the horse and headed straight to the academy. got the key. and ran through the castle. i want to respec my character so that's why i went straight there. i don't know the quickest way to get through the game and i'm not trying to impress anyone with how fast i get through it lol.

i can't level up yet though. i have about 600,000 runes. i don't want to lose them.

In Redmayne castle now. Just beat those 2 lions and roamed around. Back to bonfire for a cig break

Btw nice avatar Billy
thanks :) went to see northman yesterday. can't wait to watch it again!

when i went to redmane there weren't any enemies other than the two lions. blaidd bro had killed them all for me. after defeating the boss the castle was reset and i could fight the enemies and do the dual boss.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
thanks :) went to see northman yesterday. can't wait to watch it again!

when i went to redmane there weren't any enemies other than the two lions. blaidd bro had killed them all for me. after defeating the boss the castle was reset and i could fight the enemies and do the dual boss.

Same here, I was like wtf shit's empty haha! Eerie tho!

Man I loved The VVitch and The Lighthouse and Queens Gambit <3

Top Bottom