• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

So I’m gonna spoiler this because I’m like 3/4th of the way through the game:

Is anybody else sick of the sections where it’s just falling on to very small platforms? I just defeated Mohg underneath Lyndel Capitol, and right after him there’s a catacomb area where you have to jump down onto tiny tombstones.

Mohg took me two tries. I’ve died to this platforming crap more than any boss in the game, and there’s like 4 places I found where the game does this. Honestly the worst sections of the game. I get they wanted to do something with the improved jumping, but they didn’t improve the jumping enough to make it non-janky enough to do these sections consistently.

clem84

Gold Member
Malenia isn't really going down with that build though.
I did it. It was long but it worked. I had to retreat sometimes to get my stamina up and I also had to roll from time to time to prevent too many blows that would heal her HP. It wasn't easy though. I think I defeated her after 3-4 attempts.

SkylineRKR

Is anybody else sick of the sections where it’s just falling on to very small platforms? I just defeated Mohg underneath Lyndel Capitol, and right after him there’s a catacomb area where you have to jump down onto tiny tombstones.

Mohg took me two tries. I’ve died to this platforming crap more than any boss in the game, and there’s like 4 places I found where the game does this. Honestly the worst sections of the game. I get they wanted to do something with the improved jumping, but they didn’t improve the jumping enough to make it non-janky enough to do these sections consistently.

Thats the worst platforming section in the entire game though. I died 10 times or so. Its just bad.

DOW

I’m still loving the hell out of the game. Again, my first souls game and my first ng+ ever but I’m 125 hours in and about to finish Farum Azul again.

I’ll ng+ again and change my build. First play through I was a bleed boi with katanas. This one I’ve been faith based using dual blasphemous blades.

Some of my most fun moments are playing co-op with my friend and the hilarious stuff that happens (mostly my buddy dying and raging 😂).

OsirisBlack

Banned
To anyone that has beaten this game start a new game with no HUD I promise you it’s different and absolutely amazing. Best no bud game experience I’ve had outside of FFXIV

Shubh_C63

OK what the hell.
13 hours into it the game crashes thrice.

Now as soon as it loads it gets stuck for a sec and hard crashes. Literally cannot proceed.
Any chance frequent crashes corrupts the steam cloud save files ?

edit: phew resolved. Don't know what worked but updated drivers, restarted, file integrity worked.

Last edited:

Boneless

Finished the game, did all the optional bosses. Switched builds a couple of times to keep things exciting, so many viable builds.

As a souls noob (never played a souls) I found the game challenging, but definitely not too hard. I actually wish there was another optional boss that was just way beyond what's currently in the game in terms of difficulty.

Great game, 10/10.

SJRB

Gold Member
ghqtx1d9k2u81.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just started another playthrough as an Astologer. Seems way easier with a ranged class and a little cheap to be honest. Not sure how I feel about it.

Majmun

Got the Platinum today. The last three bossess were really tough in New game+3

I think I'm going to leave the game at NG+3 and start the DLC at this level. DLC usually never scales in these games, no?

mansoor1980

simply afwul area , AWFUL , wanted to punch someone in the face

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Man, I listened to your advice and I just got him on my first try with your advice. Thanks a lot! I was lucky enough to avoid all of his rolls.

Does proceeding after the fire giant lock me out of some content? is there anything I should do before going on?

There’s a legendary collectible you can miss in Leyndell for definite. Check a guide or two though, there’s so much going on, I cant remember if it locks you out of much else or not! Well done on Fire giant. One of the worst fights in the game.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It’s annoying for sure, but it’s such a tucked away, optional area of the game, that it didn’t bother me. Most people will never find it. If it had been mandatory though…

Reactions: GHG

MadPanda

Banned
There’s a legendary collectible you can miss in Leyndell for definite. Check a guide or two though, there’s so much going on, I cant remember if it locks you out of much else or not! Well done on Fire giant. One of the worst fights in the game.

I've already proceeded to crumbling farum azula. I'll try to see about that item. Thanks a lot!
PS. AI just saw on fextralife that I can still obtain that item. I have to do it before the crumbling farum azula boss.

Last edited:

slade

Finally made some real headway this long weekend. Cleaned up some boss fights in Mountaintop of the Giants. Beat the Fire Giant and proceeded to Farum Azula. Beat the Electric Dragon. Didn't like how the fight went. He jumped around a lot and I had to chase him down all the while the camera is going haywire. I didn't want to completely respec so I decided to put some extra 15-20 points into Faith. That gets me some of the better Incantations. My high Strength and Dexterity paired with Faith also gives me access to the Blasphemous Blade. I levelled that up to +10 and it is an amazing replacement for my Bloodhound Fang. Its Art, Taker's Flames, hits like a truck.

Backtracked to Consecrated Snowfield and beat a few bosses there and did the Ordina Town puzzle and got to Haligtree. Looked around at all the tree branches with enemies that were waiting to pick me off at range. Proceeded to run through until I got some stable footing under me. Elphael was easy, nothing too hard. All that got me the points I needed to put into Faith. I think I'm right outside the door to the Malenia boss fight now. Going to go back to it when I get some time.

I've still got Mohgwyn Palace to do as well.

FunkMiller

I've already proceeded to crumbling farum azula. I'll try to see about that item. Thanks a lot!
PS. AI just saw on fextralife that I can still obtain that item. I have to do it before the crumbling farum azula boss.

Great. I had to NG+ it as had already beaten that boss. Wasn't too much of an issue. NG+ is a cake walk for most of it. Got to where you are in about two hours, and then mopped up everything else before finishing.

luffie

Just started another playthrough as an Astologer. Seems way easier with a ranged class and a little cheap to be honest. Not sure how I feel about it.
It gets better 😎.

Spec up on Mind, and get Bloodhound step. Soon, you'll pair up Bloodhound step on the right hand with spells like Adulla's Moonblade or Comet etc.

Hit like a truck, and untouchable. Just make sure you maintain your fp.

Ovech-King

I found the easy way by mistake : on your last way down you take the corner on the left (with the musician) and from there the trick is to simply ... Roll . You will fall on each rock underneath perfectly.

Last edited:

Fess

I’ve seen people say it’s easy mode. Would probably fit me perfectly… Took me like 2 hours to beat Godrick with my current melee build, with at least 3 scenarios like this…
qd0oGdW.jpg
😖

Arozay

I'm almost finished with my level 1, torch only character and all it has done is made me appreciate the range of normal weapons, and weapon arts. Especially coming from a Colossal Greatsword (which has its own issues).

I found the easy way by mistake : on your last way down you take the corner on the left (with the musician) and from there the trick is to simply ... Roll . You will fall on each rock underneath perfectly.
I found a good route for it. I was going to record it but my Xbox was having an issue with doing so for some reason at the time.

the only boss weapon i got from a remembrance was malenia's sword but i didn't have enough dex to properly use. i sold all my remembrances for runes to lvl up.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadPanda

Banned
If there's a game worth paying full price, this is it. The amount of content is insane.
On another note, I apparently found my easy mode. It's called Winged Scythe. It has faith scaling and bleed buildup and a nice moveset.

I never buy games digitally full prices but I did it for this one and I don't regret. I'm over 120 hours and I'm sure I'll clock more. It's not my gotg but it's probably goty (I'll wait for starfield just in case).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone replayed any of the souls after this?
I defeated Malenia ad everything. 90 hours. Mixed feelings. For sure GOTY so far but I have so many issues with the game, annoying boss design and bloat/boss repeat.
I like the game but I feel it's inferior to the trilogy tight pacing and balance.

In my head, best parts of this fall between ds3 and ringed city. Nothing as good as ringed city, gael or midir music!
oh btw - my fav is dark souls 2 (non sotfs)... so I gotta verify that and probably replay all the souls now :p
The music, fight, theme is all perfect in Gael fight.. Bosses in Elden Ring are great too like Godrick, Morgot or Radagon but imo are big spammers and have too smalkl attack windows.
I feel that Elden ring is better when played open minded... not just closed in melee build. Although when I switched to giant crusher+ghizza in offhand, the game got much easier. Malenia melted as long as I avoided the damage.. and using spirits is really the name of the game here. once I embraced it, I started enjoying it more.

Gael for comparison

arvfab

Banned
So which normal enemy is the most "bullshit" one for you?

For me, it has to be the runebears. Aggressive, fast, hit like a train and at least using magic, they take a while to go down. I usually go for a "cheesy" kill if I have to fight them.

DelireMan7

I feel that Elden ring is better when played open minded... not just closed in melee build
I agree with more or less everything you say on Elden Ring. And this statement is so true. Malenia gave me a really hard time because I approached her like another Souls boss.

I don't have time to elaborate but basically what you said : Elden Ring is amazing but I prefer the Dark Souls.
I am not done yet with my first playthrough (180 hours and slowly approaching the end) but I think I have seen enough to make my opinion.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Finished the game, did all the optional bosses. Had tons of fun and around 200 hours of gameplay. First souls game, I was able to do without someone elses help. Now I am just using this game, for breaks from work, letting other players summon me, so I help them with bosses. Man what a great time it was.

Fess

So which normal enemy is the most "bullshit" one for you?

For me, it has to be the runebears. Aggressive, fast, hit like a train and at least using magic, they take a while to go down. I usually go for a "cheesy" kill if I have to fight them.
I haven’t downed one yet… I tried at lower level and was slayed in seconds, still turn into Solid Snake everytime I see them lol

Urban

Finished the game, did all the optional bosses. Had tons of fun and around 200 hours of gameplay. First souls game, I was able to do without someone elses help. Now I am just using this game, for breaks from work, letting other players summon me, so I help them with bosses. Man what a great time it was.

I tried pvp for the last 2 days and even if i lost nearly all of them, i had so much fun!
But once i killed a host which called a friend to help him out. That was epic fight.

Im close to 100 . Maybe im staying there for a bit and pvp around.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I tried pvp for the last 2 days and even if i lost nearly all of them, i had so much fun!
But once i killed a host which called a friend to help him out. That was epic fight.

Im close to 100 . Maybe im staying there for a bit and pvp around.
I am going to be honest, I never tried PvP, just a co-op.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Finished the game tonight. Didn't respec, went back to my first love, the Moonveil.. Finished the fight with no potions, 200 hp left o_o

Got all achievements. First time i get sucked in so much in a "souls" game and care enough to find every nook and cranies. 135 hours, lvl 170.

This game..

michael fassbender perfection GIF

V4skunk

Banned
Looking to restart the game, any build recommends that are super cool or fun?
Strength / faith build.
You'll be surprised at the amount of damage heavy infused weapons do if you've been going dex / int.
If you go with a colossal weapon 2 handed or some heavy class weapon, you'll never go back to using a shitty katana as you button mash away attacking a mob that isn't even flinching from the hits.

Top Bottom