• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Aesius

Got Malenia on my 3rd try. Full Bull Goat Armor, 2H Ruins Greatsword, and Mimic Tear. I was actually in fat roll mode but it didn't matter. Never needed to roll. It was somewhat insane to beat such a tough boss by absolutely face tanking her.

My Mimic Tear did a lot of the heavy lifting by spamming the Weapon Art that launched her into the air and then kept her on the ground for a bit. Also got a bit lucky by stunlocking her a few times that took off massive chunks of health during her second phase.

I sort of wish I had struggled more with the fight because as of now, it wasn't a memorable one for me and she doesn't even crack my top 5.

1. Orphan of Kos
2. Midir
3. Headless Bloodletting Beast
4. Fume Knight
5. Sister Friede

Just beat it on my hulk run. 1st time was as you say but I managed to get killed by the bloody thing just before landing the final blow. 2nd and 3rd tries the bastard unloaded it's full bag of tricks. Couldn't even string 2 hits together before it teleported away and started the bs again. 4th try it didn't even fly let alone teleport. So I Just nuked it. I think they may have broken it rather than nerfed it.
I had double checked with others and it was like that for them too before I posted that. Just to check again, I hit search just now and this was first vid that came up.

Same thing. Melee attacks with occasional light laser rain attack. He can still do his other attacks, but they're rare now.

Last edited:
I had double checked with others and it was like that for them too before I posted that. Just to check again, I hit search just now and this was first vid that came up.

Same thing. Melee attacks with occasional light laser rain attack. He can still do his other attacks, but they're rare now.

Yup that looks like my 1st try. Except it got me lol. Like I said though the next 2 attempts it was back to normal and the 4th time it didn't even do as much as the vid. No magic or anything. It was over in no time.

Yup that looks like my 1st try. Except it got me lol. Like I said though the next 2 attempts it was back to normal and the 4th time it didn't even do as much as the vid. No magic or anything. It was over in no time.
Yeah, my friend just fought him first attempt and he actually worked as intended. So probably something is broken. Like Radahn's damage values getting glitched (making them lower than intended) in the nerf that they fixed later, won't be surprised if some AI variables got glitched in this nerf.
Edit: When he refought it, AI worked first half the health bar, but then glitched out second, so something is definitely scuffed.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Now that I remember... Last week in Caelid next to where you find that sage and where that troll is throwing magic pots down I fought a big bird creature, looked very spacy in black and white and it had frost attacks and a close counter pecking attack with which I could pick you up. I died fighting him and upon returning he was not there anymore. Bug?

I also had that dragon at Ranni dissapear on me mid fight..

DelireMan7

Now that I remember... Last week in Caelid next to where you find that sage and where that troll is throwing magic pots down I fought a big bird creature, looked very spacy in black and white and it had frost attacks and a close counter pecking attack with which I could pick you up. I died fighting him and upon returning he was not there anymore. Bug?

I also had that dragon at Ranni dissapear on me mid fight..
The bird is a night boss. Go to a grace and passtime to nightfall fight it again.
There is several night time only boss across the world.

The dragon's disappearance is normal.

Last edited:

slade

I also had that dragon at Ranni dissapear on me mid

Did you fight the bird at night time. Certain boss fights like with Deathbirds or the Night's Cavalry only happen at night.

slade

So I went to start the Corhyn questline and he was dead and Goldmask is no where to he found. What gives?

Did you burn the Erdtree? I remembered Corhyn's questline after I had already been transported to Farum Azula. Backtracked to where Corhyn was supposed to be and only found his robe and bell bearing. Goldmask was MIA.

DelireMan7

So I went to start the Corhyn questline and he was dead and Goldmask is no where to he found. What gives?

Did you burn the Erdtree? I remembered Corhyn's questline after I had already been transported to Farum Azula. Backtracked to where Corhyn was supposed to be and only found his robe and bell bearing. Goldmask was MIA.

That's where I am also. Strangely the Goldmask NPC symbol is still next to the erdtree on the map but he's not there anymore.

Jacob0101

jyZ97ZX.jpg

BIG DICK TIME
How to have 2 thesame weapons?

Methos#1975

Yep, I did. Guess I have to wait till my 2nd run.

hlm666

How to have 2 thesame weapons?
If it's a weapon that you can only get 1 of them per playthrough you need to get a second in ng+ or have someone willing to give you theirs (or trade with you) by going into a multiplayer game and dropping it for you to pick up. You wont see dropped weapons of a higher upgrade level than whatever your most upgraded weapon is. There is a trading sub on reddit I think if you don't have any friends to help you get it done.

tommib

Gold Member
Guys I’m a bit lost. I did the whole ranni quest and finished the capital. I now need to open/burn the tree but don’t know where to go? I don’t mind getting lost because there’s always something entertaining around the corner. I bumped into volcano manor completely by chance and what a trip that was but some direction now would be helpful.

At this moment, with the amount of fresh quality content the game throws at you constantly I have no problems saying this is the best game ever made. Just to see the study hall being reverted and fighting your way down blew my mind. It’s also my own dream come true: a 3D version of Zelda II for the NES.

Any help is appreciated.

Note: saying that it’s the best game ever made is not the same as saying it’s my favourite. I totally get why Citizen Kane is the considered the best movie ever made but my favourite is Sunset Boulevard. ;)

DelireMan7

Guys I’m a bit lost. I did the whole ranni quest and finished the capital. I now need to open/burn the tree but don’t know where to go? I don’t mind getting lost because there’s always something entertaining around the corner. I bumped into volcano manor completely by chance and what a trip that was but some direction now would be helpful.

At this moment, with the amount of fresh quality content the game throws at you constantly I have no problems saying this is the best game ever made. Just to see the study hall being reverted and fighting your way down blew my mind. It’s also my own dream come true: a 3D version of Zelda II for the NES.

Any help is appreciated.

Note: saying that it’s the best game ever made is not the same as saying it’s my favourite. I totally get why Citizen Kane is the considered the best movie ever made but my favourite is Sunset Boulevard. ;)
Did you came across a passage sealed, in the capital by Morgott seal ?

In Leyndell, teleport to the "Avenue Balcony" site of grace, get on the "main road" and follow it on your left. You should arrive in front of a big doorway that leads you to an area with sand and Misbegotten enemies. Follow this way.

J6af1tn.jpg

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Have you discovered the blood river runefarming site? If not then you need to go there and kill the bird and/or kill the sleeping albauneric enemies. Youll get some much and be leveling like nobody’s business!

Hmm maybe I should do that for a while =P

Aesius

Then why use the mimic tear? I get that it's built into the game but man, using summons at all felt like cheating to me, specially on bosses where a duel just turns into a gang rape.
I agree, actually. I wish it wasn't in the game, or at least bosses weren't designed around the fact that players would likely summon other players or ashes. I don't always use the Mimic Tear but I did on her because of all the hype she gets. But ultimately, it made the fight a little underwhelming. I never summoned for a single boss in any other FromSoft game, and I found that summoning ashes in ER took away a lot of tension in boss fights.

DelireMan7

Then why use the mimic tear? I get that it's built into the game but man, using summons at all felt like cheating to me, specially on bosses where a duel just turns into a gang rape.
I am with you on this one.

It's ok to use summons but it's not the first I see "This boss was not that hard, I first try it with mimic tear, I am disappointed". If you want a challenge, don't use mimic tear xD

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I agree, actually. I wish it wasn't in the game, or at least bosses weren't designed around the fact that players would likely summon other players or ashes. I don't always use the Mimic Tear but I did on her because of all the hype she gets. But ultimately, it made the fight a little underwhelming. I never summoned for a single boss in any other FromSoft game, and I found that summoning ashes in ER took away a lot of tension in boss fights.

That's how I felt with Radahn

Edit

Summons are awesome but it's less pure of a victory

Last edited:
I started exploring the Royal Capital last night. Calling this game huge is an understatement.

I keep getting lost. Absolutely no clue where the bosses are but I did get smacked by a putrid erdtree avatar that popped out of nowhere

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am with you on this one.

It's ok to use summons but it's not the first I see "This boss was not that hard, I first try it with mimic tear, I am disappointed". If you want a challenge, don't use mimic tear xD
Yep and these same bozos try to petition From to remove these things. I find it just as much fun to bitch slap these bosses with my blasphemous blade build with my mimic tear and/or Tiche. They can’t conceive people can find a game fun in different ways that doesn’t involve countless trial and error.

Mossybrew

Yep I've stomped most bosses easily with my buddy Mimic and OP Magic/Moonveil and Rivers of Blood builds. They got what they deserved. The fact that I can go in overleveled, backed by a strong ash summon, with an OP build is what makes this game fun. If it was a typical Souls slog of dying over and over till you fully learn a boss, I would have never made it more than a few hours into the game.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It is less of a pure victory. Your kids, friends and family will all think less of you now.

Fun fact: I used mimic tear in every fight and it didn’t affect my manhood in any way. I had fun.

I got that feeling from you last time. It's not about ebragging but more of a self test you know?

Like starting over race on a final lap you've been trying for over 10 times because you accidentally cut a corner without a penalty.

It's more of an ocd thing. Not these toxic dudes I know you're referring to. I bet most of the latter I was talking about come the same place but turn it into this annoying way

Last edited:

Aesius

I got that feeling from you last time. It's not about ebragging but more of a self test you know?

Like starting over race on a final lap you've been trying for over 10 times because you accidentally cut a corner without a penalty.

It's more of an ocd thing. Not these toxic dudes I know you're referring to. I bet most of the latter I was talking about come the same place but turn it into this annoying way
Yeah, I think the most tries I've ever needed on a FromSoft boss was Midir, which was probably around 15. And while it sucks to bash your head against the wall in the moment, those boss fights end up being super memorable. I distinctly remember my struggle against Fume Knight, and that was around 7 years ago.

MagnesD3

After finishing my 190 hour playthrough I'm now diving into the lore trying to figure it out and I'm honestly surprised that not many people have speculated that Malina is Godwyns Soul in Rannis body (0 people on YouTube Ive seen have they all cry gloam eyed queen, which is possible) since there are alot of interesting connections like melinas eyes, "burned and bodiless", her mother's in the erdtree snd as far as we know Godwyn and Ranni should be the only demigods dead.. I also wonder if the crows feet around thier eyes is connected to the deathbird outer god in some way as well.

iQuasarLV

After finishing my 190 hour playthrough I'm now diving into the lore trying to figure it out and I'm honestly surprised that not many people have speculated that Malina is Godwyns Soul in Rannis body (0 people on YouTube Ive seen have they all cry gloam eyed queen, which is possible) since there are alot of interesting connections like melinas eyes, "burned and bodiless", her mother's in the erdtree snd as far as we know Godwyn and Ranni should be the only demigods dead.. I also wonder if the crows feet around thier eyes is connected to the deathbird outer god in some way as well.
Godwyn = destroyed soul / body untouched
Ranni = soul untoucned / body destroyed

It was what had to be done to complete the ritual she started with the death rune she stole. If you have seen most of the game and quests you know where Godwyn is and where Ranni's soul is.

Raven117

Is Moonveil still viable end game (with a high INT build) or do I need to switch over to either (i) Wing of Astel, or (ii) Bastard of Stars?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You gang me up with TWO fucking Crucible Knights in a room, you get the Mimic Tear and be thankful I can’t summon two spirits at once. From can fuck off with that BS.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You gang me up with TWO fucking Crucible Knights in a room, you get the Mimic Tear and be thankful I can’t summon two spirits at once. From can fuck off with that BS.
Nah man, both those and the Godskin Bros are perfectly doable solo. The pumpkin pair on the other hand... that was hard as fuck going solo.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nah man, both those and the Godskin Bros are perfectly doable solo. The pumpkin pair on the other hand... that was hard as fuck going solo.
Your definition of “perfectly doable” is pretty optimistic. Or maybe you’re just very very good at Souls. I mean, yeah, I beat the Crucible duo solo. On my final playthrough. With magic that hit both bastards at the same time. And with some ridiculously beefed Intelligence.

The pumpkin pair was unnecessarily hard like every other thing they thought it’d be so incredibly fun to make you fight in a ridiculously small room with a camera that rivals Sekiro’s worst moments.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Your definition of “perfectly doable” is pretty optimistic. Or maybe you’re just very very good at Souls. I mean, yeah, I beat the Crucible duo solo. On my final playthrough. With magic that hit both bastards at the same time. And with some ridiculously beefed Intelligence.

The pumpkin pair was unnecessarily hard like every other thing they thought it’d be so incredibly fun to make you fight in a ridiculously small room with a camera that rivals Sekiro’s worst moments.
Tbh... I think I was just very lucky. Beat the Godskin bros while severely high on weed, at like 3:00AM and on my first try. My strat was to focus on Luigi while positioning myself in a way so Mario and I had a column at all times between us.
Meanwhile the pumpkin dudes took me like 10 tries or so... :goog_relieved:

I really hope FROM step up their game on the technical side for the next game. Camera was shit while fighting the Taurus Demon, it was shit against the Cleric Beast and it's still shit today.

Have you discovered the blood river runefarming site? If not then you need to go there and kill the bird and/or kill the sleeping albauneric enemies. Youll get some much and be leveling like nobody’s business!

Mogwyn's Palace. Praise the Mohg you will never need to level up again after grinding that bird for an hour or so.
Someone said that area isn't available until later in the game. Is that true?

Top Bottom