• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Are we sure Farum Azula is not taken out of DS3 ?
It looks exactly like something in ds3 would. Higher graphical detail compared to other levels. Separate tiles and so on. and the whole dragon theme
it's possible. could be something they were working on for DS3 and scrapped it. some enemies are cut from DS3 one being the tree spirit:

iu

a lot of areas in the game remind me of DS3. i know it's made by the same studio and all that but at times it felt more like a Dark Souls game. i believe Elden Ring is essentially Dark Souls 4 but they went with a different setting/lore.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I mad some major progress yesterday. Finished Ranni quest and got my mushroom outfit and all..

Question, it was late so I don't remember but I fought a glintstone dragon that did mayor damage but I can't remember where I fought him =/

Vigor 40
Mind 20
Endurance 20
Strength 20
Dexterity 20
Intelligence 36
Faith 9
Arcane 8

Cerulian Shield + 6 and Moonveil + 6 or so

Btw adore blaidd outfit
SL 88

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I mad some major progress yesterday. Finished Ranni quest and got my mushroom outfit and all..

Question, it was late so I don't remember but I fought a glintstone dragon that did mayor damage but I can't remember where I fought him =/

Vigor 40
Mind 20
Endurance 20
Strength 20
Dexterity 20
Intelligence 36
Faith 9
Arcane 8

Cerulian Shield + 6 and Moonveil + 6 or so

Btw adore blaidd outfit
SL 88

Probably in the lake, not far from the Academy (where you picked up the glintstone key to enter it).

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You can get there once you're in the Liurnia area by doing a couple quick quest steps for Varre, after which he'll give you an item that will transport you to this zone. You then just have to backtrack a bit in that area and run past some freaks to get to the farming spot.
I'm at the part where I have to soak the maiden thing but I'm at a lost where to go. East of liurnia but I dont see shit =/

Mossybrew

I'm at the part where I have to soak the maiden thing but I'm at a lost where to go. East of liurnia but I dont see shit =/

Church up in northeast Liurnia has a dead maiden you can use. But be careful that madness tower is up there too.

Last edited:

tassletine

Are we sure Farum Azula is not taken out of DS3 ?
It looks exactly like something in ds3 would. Higher graphical detail compared to other levels. Separate tiles and so on. and the whole dragon theme
I would say it's closer to the Dragon Aerie from DS2 but a lot of the areas are riffs on past games.

Lokaum D+

Im done with pvp and this game after 300 hours, pvp is so broken that every fight is a glitch festival, 3 X 1 gangbang spam magic with unlimited mana or AFK players that u cant kill cause u just have 20 explosives arrows to use on ur Jarcanon, i ll be back for the dlc or if they do some balance in pvp.

hlm666

Seeing you were up where you finish that quest along with the dragon infront of ruins you find her in there are others up there you may have stumbled into? They are blue looking ones if that helps identify them a bit.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Im done with pvp and this game after 300 hours, pvp is so broken that every fight is a glitch festival, 3 X 1 gangbang spam magic with unlimited mana or AFK players that u cant kill cause u just have 20 explosives arrows to use on ur Jarcanon, i ll be back for the dlc or if they do some balance in pvp.

I really wish From would allow coop play without the ability to be invaded. It's just a video game, sometimes I feel like the devs take their own work and gaming in general, far, far, faaaaaar too seriously. Like everything that;s fun needs to be counterbalanced.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm closing in on 300 hours now, and I have to admit it feels near impossible for me to remember where I am in the game progression wise. I know I'm missing a few remaining boss fights, but I feel like I've already been "everywhere". I may be crazy but I almost wish for some kind of lightweight quest log right now..................... Wait, it just dawned on me, I'm playing the game completely offline, maybe that's why, the signs would help wouldn't they..

Anyway, after almost 300 hours it's kinda safe for me to say that this might be the best game I've ever played.. I've played pretty much all From Software games since the first Kings Field and I'm kinda obsessed by Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
1.04.2 rolling out

google translate is rough here but seems to be fixing Elden Beast AI crash, Malenia no-hit health regen, and what sounds like some boss cheese tactics, Radahn drowning perhaps?

DelireMan7

seems to be fixing Elden Beast AI crash
What was this AI problem ? I heard it supposed to be more mobile but I fought it during this patch and it kept running away all the time. Extremely annoying fight. After several attempts, it decided to stay mostly in place so I could beat it.

Hope this patch will not make it running away more.

80 hours in now, taking my time exploring everything, this game is full of sleights of hand. It makes you believe you know the structure of what is coming up but then it surprises you and gives you something else.

I remain baffled by the size of it, I still have 2 or 3 map pieces missing in the surface. I love the attention to detail so that you can't tell how big the world is before you progress, the framing doesn't scale to all the pieces at the start, it only scales to them when you either go there or when it is mentioned in some questline or something.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
What was this AI problem ? I heard it supposed to be more mobile but I fought it during this patch and it kept running away all the time. Extremely annoying fight. After several attempts, it decided to stay mostly in place so I could beat it.

there is a reoccurring issue in the game where sometimes enemy AI bugs out and stops moving and/or attacking, I think that's it

Much, much more or not a lot. Depending on how glitched the version you got was. It varied a lot from working as intended to doing sod all.

So his AI doing melee too much was a bug. I assume the only actual intended nerfs was Elden Stars and his HP.
what sounds like some boss cheese tactics, Radahn drowning perhaps?
Introduced in last patch was a bleed glitch if you kill phase 1 of a multiphase boss with a bleed, it will then instant kill phase 2 with bugged bleed damage, this even works for Forskin Duo since they share the same lifebar, so killing 1 with bleed will caused bugged bleed damage for the remaining lifebar. I assume this is what got fixed.

Last edited:
I still think Bloodborne is their best game yet.
definitely. sekiro is probably my #2. i enjoyed elden ring but the open world wasn't done well. far too much empty space and wasted landmarks. there's lots to do which is good but a lot of it is repeated. if you explore too much it can be a bad thing because you will become way too powerful and there will be little challenge in the boss fights.

for Elden Ring 2, if it happens, then they need to either improve their open world making skills (to be fair it is their first time doing one) or go back to the small balanced games like Bloodborne/Sekiro and even DS.

I’ve been trying to do the “Main” bosses solo because I like to learn the bosses and beat them myself. There’s a few exceptions I made because I still wanted to try out the Summons and see what they did, so I mostly used them on Repeat bosses, Mini-Dungeon Bosses or Overworld bosses.

I summoned a friend in the Capitol and happened to beat ghost Godfrey and Morgott with him, so those were the only “Main” bosses I used any help on, but I’ll solo Real Godfrey later and Morgott was kind of a repeat boss anyways.

Last night though I got to Melania. I spent an Hour trying to Solo her, and could only get her to half health. I’m dual wielding Katanas but didn’t want to go with the same Bleed build everyone else does so I went Uchi and Dragonscale Blade. I wore the Raven Cloak and used the Talisman to buff my jump attacks and played a hit and run strategy that was working really well, but one mistake and she snowballs back like 40% health.

Im about to call it quits, but remember reading somewhere that Mimic summon helps with her. So I decide to try it out figuring I’d just die and go back to soloing her the next day. Me and my Mimic fucking spit roast her in both phases first try. Wtf.

I don’t know I just don’t like that. Her fight would be fun if she regened less health or something, but maybe only if you’re solo. Anyways on to Faram-Zuko’s Hot Sister.

Interfectum

I really wish From would allow coop play without the ability to be invaded. It's just a video game, sometimes I feel like the devs take their own work and gaming in general, far, far, faaaaaar too seriously. Like everything that;s fun needs to be counterbalanced.
It's just a risk / reward mechanic. If you want to invite friends to make the game less intense there is a risk that it could become more intense. I feel like this is what From games are all about.

kikkis

I haven't played this game in over a month. Got stuck on godskin duo and sort of stopped. I have level 24 long sword and melee build obviously. I haven't done haligtree. How should I approach getting back in?

hlm666

1.04.2 rolling out

google translate is rough here but seems to be fixing Elden Beast AI crash, Malenia no-hit health regen, and what sounds like some boss cheese tactics, Radahn drowning perhaps?

Nah the boss thing is bosses would straight up die in phase transitions if they were effected by some status effects.

Patch notes from steam.

MadPanda

Banned
I struggled with placidusax. I tried with mimic tear couldn't do it. Tried tiche couldn't so it. Tried latenna couldn't do it. I decided to invite someone for help for the first time in the game. Used furlcaling finger at lie down spot but nothing happened. I mean, there were no summon signs. I proceeded on to the fight, only to find out that I couldn't summon spirit ashes for some reason, I guess there's a bug or it's intended like it because I used furlcaling finger. Decided to still give it a chance and lo and behold, I've beaten it solo! I did User all of my flasks but somehow I managed to do it. What a fight :)

DelireMan7

I struggled with placidusax. I tried with mimic tear couldn't do it. Tried tiche couldn't so it. Tried latenna couldn't do it. I decided to invite someone for help for the first time in the game. Used furlcaling finger at lie down spot but nothing happened. I mean, there were no summon signs. I proceeded on to the fight, only to find out that I couldn't summon spirit ashes for some reason, I guess there's a bug or it's intended like it because I used furlcaling finger. Decided to still give it a chance and lo and behold, I've beaten it solo! I did User all of my flasks but somehow I managed to do it. What a fight :)
I love that fight. Probably my favorite Dragon fight.

I am not really familiar with summoning yet but I think the use of Furcalling finger disables the Spirit ash.
Yesterday, on my second run, I discover you can however still summon your ashes even if you summoned a NPC (because you don't use a Furcalling finger for it)

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm starting to detect several flaws with NG+ and beyond in Elden Ring. The caves and dungeons are pretty much useless the second time around, as you've already collected all the stuff there. Other things get redundant too, such ruins, evergaols and towers, which makes exploration less fun. I'm in Liurnia now and have done Limgrave and Caelid and I'm starting to get bored. However, starting a new character is such a chore and something I'd rather not do, just because the game is too goddamn big. Just the thought of starting over just makes me say nope. I played Bloodborne and Dark Souls repeatedly just because the campaign was so tight and focused, and you could make different builds without it taking too much time. In Elden Ring I don't feel the same way and that revelation sucks.

ymoc

As much as I loved exploring in this game and it took me 200+ hours to finish the game, a more focused map in the spirit of dark souls series would do wonders for replayability. If they cut the bloated plateaus at every single elevation, decreased the width of some super wide areas, made less copy&paste dungeons (which only gift a spirit ash, like I don't already have 50 of those that I'm never going to use already), made everything flow more fluently, the game could have a much much tighter gameplay experience.
The Map problem is also what is hurting the multiplayer component as well, both coop and pvp.

A note on the multiplayer.

I have thousands of hours in DS3 solely in PVP. There was no (major) problem with invaders being able to invade cooping pveers. It was something that didn't happen too often, and even if it did it was usually in the covenant areas and it was something that was planned or at least expected. In other more remote areas it was a nice spice-it-up for the solo players to get a bit of extra danger too. That said, it had its share of proponents and opponents.
But in ER, it shocks me to say, but I agree with people that would limit invasions for cooping pve people. It would've been a much better experience for new players if invasions were OPT-IN even while doing coop.
As it stands now a cooping noob duo or trio can't walk 5minutes in peace without getting invaded.
And since PVP balance is utterly disastrous in ER, people can cheese unsuspecting players in a matter of seconds. All these invading scumbags need is have a powerstance bleed naginatas or powerstance curved swords. Maybe throw in seppuku and they can proc bleed in 1 hit and kill the host in one move. And that's just ONE of a whole bunch of broken things dmg-wise.

FROM really really dropped the ball when it comes to multiplayer. They made 0 quality of life improvements, apart from maybe having the "ember item" craftable at minor cost.
PVP in this game feels more like watching some anime DBZ fight. It's a sad state of affairs right now.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I think I'm going to stop playing this game

I'm 100 hours in and really enjoyed it at the start but I'm progressing too slowly I guess because every area feels too easy and I can just brute my way through the bosses, so there's no sense of challenge or achievement. feels like if souls added an easy mode....just awful

and the fashion souls in this game fucking sucks honestly, shame

bigger is not always better

overall a decent game 8/10

what is confusing to me is how Innovative demons souls/dark souls was .. and then there was like 0 innovation after that ?? I don't get it

Last edited:

Plantoid

After the colossal weapons buff the godslayer greatsword roocks!!! I'm doing a black magic themed build right now and the cancel-roll mechanic they have put on this weapon is marvelous, very viable while not being too op like katanas for instance

Hey Blinkin

I apologize if this has been asked already, but is there a bug where somber smithing stone bell bearing 5 doesn't show up at the Husks shop? I turned it in and it's not available for purchase.

Is there a fix if so?

V4skunk

Banned
definitely. sekiro is probably my #2. i enjoyed elden ring but the open world wasn't done well. far too much empty space and wasted landmarks. there's lots to do which is good but a lot of it is repeated. if you explore too much it can be a bad thing because you will become way too powerful and there will be little challenge in the boss fights.

for Elden Ring 2, if it happens, then they need to either improve their open world making skills (to be fair it is their first time doing one) or go back to the small balanced games like Bloodborne/Sekiro and even DS.
Elden Ring has too much empty space? Every thing is unique and hand crafted. No copy and pasting like every other open world.
I'm not talking about the caves or tombs either! I'm talking the open world!
So wtf you on bro?

Paltheos

I still think Bloodborne is their best game yet.

Agreed, although it's not perfect. Too many giant beast-type bosses, and blood vials not refreshing on death in particular is what keeps it from an undisputed top, but it's great.
BB>DS3>ER>DS1>DS2>DeS>Sek for me. (Sekiro's not a bad game; I just don't care for it at all. Also, I could flip DS2 and DeS depending on the day you ask me)

Maddux4164

Banned
Struggle bus with first boss (kinda)

Margaret or whoever she identifies as

Is it wise to summon?

Assuming no need to worry about humanity as it appears it’s not a thing when summoning
U0eQb9i.jpg

Elden Ring has too much empty space? Every thing is unique and hand crafted. No copy and pasting like every other open world.
I'm not talking about the caves or tombs either! I'm talking the open world!
So wtf you on bro?
yeah it does. too many times i've gone exploring an area and find nothing. there's a lot of padding. the map could be smaller and still keep all the content. there is wasted space too i mean there are buildings just for one item. so many towers that have a magic spell or ruins with a dungeon that has a single chest. it's a waste.

a lot of enemies/bosses are repeated from imps, watchdogs, crucible knights, fallingstar beasts, godskins, tibia mariner, etc.

Maddux4164

Banned
lmao i was about 25 hours in before i kicked his ass but to be fair i could've gone sooner.

go in and see how it goes i suppose :) remember you can go do other stuff and come back later. he's an optional boss too. good luck!
Frankly he’s not THAT bad. I can easily get him to half health

Wish I had more flasks
Also wish I had some gold pine resin equivalent

DelireMan7

Struggle bus with first boss (kinda)

Margaret or whoever she identifies as

Is it wise to summon?

Assuming no need to worry about humanity as it appears it’s not a thing when summoning
U0eQb9i.jpg
Two hours in, it might be a bit soon for him.

When summoning NPC, you don't need any ressources. For summoning players, you'll need Furcalling Fingers but they are not rare and you get some if you help others players (or invade them I think).

I think NPC summoning will also increase boss HP (like summoning players)

Maddux4164

Banned
Two hours in, it might be a bit soon for him.

When summoning NPC, you don't need any ressources. For summoning players, you'll need Furcalling Fingers but they are not rare and you get some if you help others players (or invade them I think).

I think NPC summoning will also increase boss HP (like summoning players)
Who wants to join me and kick this dudes ass? Hah

Am I too early? Frankly seemed like “the path to take”. I realize It’s open world.

But ya know. It’s where I went.

Top Bottom