• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

DelireMan7

If a host summoned you in a dungeon and they are already at the boss it means they just ran there right after touching your sign.
I was invading. The host do not have to touch a sign. And it was Caria manor ao a bit big.
I spawned at the very beginning of it and they enter the boss immediately.
Maybe I was unlucky and they were at the beginning when the game matched me with them and they just rushed the place during I was joining they world.
But often I have the feeling the spawning points are weird. Like I said the opposite arrived where I spawn at the very end of the dungeon and they are at the very beginning (I speak about big dungeons not the catacombs/cave)

Trying to Understand this game do all ash of war moves make your weapons weaker,I have a sword that has an attack of 176 and when I look at ash of war for it there’s a lot of red on the weapons stats.
Ashes of war don't just change the move set or add a power up they can also change the type of weapon scaling (affinity). You get shown a list and can choose what you want. What is on the list depends on the type of ash of war / weapon and which whetblades you have found. Depending on your stats some will provide a lot more damage than others. You should just be able to stay with the default scaling but sometimes it's better to get less damage to get a high amount of a status effect. Bleed or frost or whatever. It'll mention that under passive effects.

If you are going strength you should probably use heavy scaling or keen for dex and so on.

Last edited:
This is the first open world game I’ve ever actually enjoyed. And despite my many personal grievances towards some philosophies of From (for example: I want cutscenes) I genuinely loved this game.

However: the last stretch of the game was truly fucking atrocious. Just way too many annoying areas and enemies/bosses.

Ordina, anyone?

jimmyd

So I think I'm 1 step before the end... doing a lot of backtracking and I end up finishing 2 or 3 questlines and finding some whole new areas and bosses. All I keep saying is "How did I miss this?"

I just don't want this game to end.

slade

I converted my Str/Dex build and added Faith to the mix. Using the Blasphemous Blade, I was steamrolling most enemies. Then I got to Malenia. Honestly, even with that build, I could have eventually beaten her. Came close three times in that horrendous second phase but all three times were because of my Bloodhound Fang and because I managed to get her to Bleed.

I decided to just go exploring and level up more and in doing that I ran into a few more enemies where the Blasphemous Blade just wasn't doing much damage, namely the Draconic Tree Sentinel before the Maliketh fight and the Dragons around Farum Azula.

I respecced and put most of the Faith points into Arcane. Upgraded the Rivers of Blood Katana and Malenia went down in one try. So did the Draconic Tree Sentinel.

This build is almost criminal with how wide the attacks hit. The bleed damage on top is just icing. Even Malenia's speedy dodging didn't fully keep her out of the path of those slashes. Going to try this out on some Dragon next. I think I only have Lansseax, Fortisax and Placidusax left.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
i can't stop thinking about the game and want to play it again but i can't bring myself to put another 100+ hours into it. is there a guide that shows strictly mandatory/essential routes? i don't necessarily want to speed run it but if i could get through it in ~40 hours i'd be up for that.
40 hours is still a lot. Any ending except Chaos and Ranni is basically the same thing, so if you’re not interested in those particular endings you can skip the biggest sidequest. But you still need to beat Radahn if you want the Mimic Tear.
If you know your build beforehand you can probably get anything you need with just boss runes and some very minimal farming here and there, especially at the beginning.

But yeah, there’s so much content in the game, you basically need to know exactly what you want to go for before you even begin the game if you want to skip everything not essential. And by doing that you’re basically ignoring the entire point of ER which is exploring the world, so I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as I did with Dark Souls.

One thing I’m sure about is, I’m never doing Blood Palace or anything related to Haligtree ever again. They’re completely optional, and frankly I don’t see the fun in doing Elphael and Malenia again.

40 hours is still a lot. Any ending except Chaos and Ranni is basically the same thing, so if you’re not interested in those particular endings you can skip the biggest sidequest. But you still need to beat Radahn if you want the Mimic Tear.
If you know your build beforehand you can probably get anything you need with just boss runes and some very minimal farming here and there, especially at the beginning.

But yeah, there’s so much content in the game, you basically need to know exactly what you want to go for before you even begin the game if you want to skip everything not essential. And by doing that you’re basically ignoring the entire point of ER which is exploring the world, so I’m not sure I’d enjoy it as I did with Dark Souls.

One thing I’m sure about is, I’m never doing Blood Palace or anything related to Haligtree ever again. They’re completely optional, and frankly I don’t see the fun in doing Elphael and Malenia again.
40 hours is still a lot yeah but it seems a reasonable amount of time to get through the game. i don't want to put another 100 hours into it.

i want to try a magical build but have no idea what to do. never played a magical build in any of these games. as for exploring, well i think i saw everywhere and i done every catacomb/cave i found except a couple hero graves.

i agree with the mohgwyn and haligtree areas. they were pissing me off lol.

suppose i'll just start a new save and just follow the grace directions to see how it goes. i'll only go explore tombs/caves if i am needing to get stronger.

I'm extremely OP right now with my very basic simple srt and Grafted blade build. This seems to be exposing a little bit of the drawbacks of the game being so open. I get that I explored too much, but what is the point of an open world game if you are not going to explore it? Very few times I encountered bosses that had that proper level of challenge you find in the other From Software games.

The hardest boss I met so far were 3 red crystal guys in a cave, I'm lvl 117 already and have close to 90h played and didn't really got stuck anywhere outside of the first time I encountered Margit, every other boss that seemed too hard I just came back later.

I just got into the Grand List of Rold and I still haven't fought 2 of the initial main bosses mentioned and now a lot of new ones have popped up. I found Margit while looking for the other boss and killed him in the first try. I actually have no idea of where Godfrey is, I'm going after the Dung guy in the sewers now.

Spirit summons seems OP as hell but it's presented as a core mechanic. I think there should be some sort of incentive inside the game to not use them.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
40 hours is still a lot yeah but it seems a reasonable amount of time to get through the game. i don't want to put another 100 hours into it.

i want to try a magical build but have no idea what to do. never played a magical build in any of these games. as for exploring, well i think i saw everywhere and i done every catacomb/cave i found except a couple hero graves.

i agree with the mohgwyn and haligtree areas. they were pissing me off lol.

suppose i'll just start a new save and just follow the grace directions to see how it goes. i'll only go explore tombs/caves if i am needing to get stronger.
I finished the game with a magic build. There’s some good videos on how to become moderately OP early on. I did explore as much as possible though, so I probably ended up getting more spells than you actually need if you just want to go through the main quest. While many guides will vouch for spells like Azur’s Comet and Ranni’s Dark Moon, I actually brought only Stars of Ruin into the final battle and did it (with the help of Mimic Tear). The game feels much different when you don’t have to get into melee range with bosses.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm lvl 88 at 180 hours. Occasionally looking some obtuse stuff up. I finished DS3 around 160/80 hours

Seeing folks finishing the game at lvl 180 in 120 minutes boggles my mind =P

Btw no judgement here's just thinking aloud <3

Perhaps because I love exploring?

Last edited:

kevm3

Just been going back through Dark Souls 2 and having a ton of fun, even though I didn't really like it at the time. The boss fights feel much more 'fair' and less of a slog here and shields and bows are actually useful. However, playing through the Dark Souls 2 DLC and fighting aava, this is where it feels like they turned the series into a Rollsbourne where shields and armor are worthless because the boss destroys your stamina and all you are doing is rolling everywhere, the boss hitbox is ultra generous, the boss has some explosion AOE.

DelireMan7

I'm lvl 88 at 180 hours. Occasionally looking some obtuse stuff up. I finished DS3 around 160/80 hours

Oo

I finished in 190 hours with level 169. (No farming)

Each player have different experiences.
I saw some players finishing in 80 hours with lvl 190 xD I was thinking I was slow.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oo

I finished in 190 hours with level 169. (No farming)

Each player have different experiences.
I saw some players finishing in 80 hours with lvl 190 xD I was thinking I was slow.

Fore sure I don't mind. Just came to mind that's all. I'm cherishing this game like *insert nice stuff*

Well fuck me, after playing the game like 6 times to the end and taking one of those to new game plus 5 I've discovered my new favorite armour set. The Night Cavalry set. I'd tried fighting what I thought was 1 of the buggers in the snow fields before but it always vanished before dying and I assumed the bugger was glitched. But it turns out there are 2 of the cunts and beating them gets you the armour. I'm guessing you need to have beaten all the other versions of them for both to spawn or something like that.

Anyway awesome looking kit.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

So I think I'm 1 step before the end... doing a lot of backtracking and I end up finishing 2 or 3 questlines and finding some whole new areas and bosses. All I keep saying is "How did I miss this?"

I just don't want this game to end.
That's why I had to do a second playthrough, too much fun, was all about frenzy flame, dragon, winged scythe bullshit the first time now I'm about an int strength double frost hammers setup.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why does the Hoslow innvasion Vulcano Manor quest stay active even after beating the vulcano Manor boss?

Beating him cancels out all contracts but this one stays active. I just beat him but nothing special seems to happen either.

FunkMiller

Make sure you do an NG+ run for that sweet speed run feeling.

Fake

Gold Member
He has a quest and an ending, but why would anyone want to help that guy? He's obviously evil and basically filth incarnate. I used Seluvis' potion to change him into a puppet/spirit ash that I'll probably never use. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

There is an explanation for his behavior. If I remember right, he is suppose to control population for the golden order, not entirely 'polulation', but rather to keep the balance between the 'high society' and the rest of people, aka 'rich people'.
Notice the itens you collection from the bodies around the game. All from members of high society. He got mad in the process for all this doing as you imagine.
I guess Miyazaki took espiration from animals in real life (rat pest control) that do exact the same in the nature.
Anw, people call his ending the 'COVID' ending, because you literary cause plage in the lands between.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
There is an explanation for his behavior. If I remember right, he is suppose to control population for the golden order, not entirely 'polulation', but rather to keep the balance between the 'high society' and the rest of people, aka 'rich people'.
Notice the itens you collection from the bodies around the game. All from members of high society. He got mad in the process for all this doing as you imagine.
I guess Miyazaki took espiration from animals in real life (rat pest control) that do exact the same in the nature.
Anw, people call his ending the 'COVID' ending, because you literary cause plage in the lands between.

I missed all of that apparently- Thanks so much for the explanation! :)

Gave pvp a chance as an invader. Spent 5 minutes running around looking for the host. When I found him he had two buddies to help him. Of course, I got destroyed.
What's the point? Oh well, back to offline mode.

Instead of finishing my first playthrough, I started another. Samurai dual-wielding uchigatanas. The game feels so much easier. Defeated Margit and Godrick first try.

Joho79

Gave pvp a chance as an invader. Spent 5 minutes running around looking for the host. When I found him he had two buddies to help him. Of course, I got destroyed.
What's the point? Oh well, back to offline mode.

Instead of finishing my first playthrough, I started another. Samurai dual-wielding uchigatanas. The game feels so much easier. Defeated Margit and Godrick first try.
I also started a new game with two uchi. Made them blood infused and had a ball. But later I started to really miss the stagger from my two great swords.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Damn , so much detail...

MadPanda

Banned
Guys, achievements are driving me nuts. I'm at 38/42 and don't know which secret one's I'm missing. There are two related to endings, one is for all achievements and can't figure out what's the last one. I looked up the list of achievements and still can't figure it out. I've for all spells, talismans, weapons, ashes, killed all the bosses I could find out.

Can someone on Xbox help me. I'm missing Elden Ring achievement, a diamond one with 8.47% players unlocked, a diamond one with 4.58% players unlocked and one without a diamond with 14.50% players unlocked.

Edit: I linked my account with true achievements and found out ima missing mohg, the omen. I hope I can still fight it...

Last edited:
Beat the game. Got 2 of the 3 endings (accidentally used an item that locked me out of the 3rd lol).

Man, this game is soo good. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to get into Souls games - very forgiving with checkpoints and spirit summons etc.

man build up the fight with Radagon was so hyped! Soundtrack was awesome. Was a bit disappointed that the fight with him was so short. Maybe I was over-leveled (142).

Elden Beast fight was very disappointing. The arena was too big and the boss was a bit of a pushover. Again, maybe it was because I was overleveled?

I locked myself out of the frenzy ending because I used Miquella's needle BEFORE getting the ending lmao. Excuse for another playthrough when the DLC hits

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm cheesing my way at the crumbled bell fry just spamming that magic bow. Those dudes hit hard man

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Beat the game. Got 2 of the 3 endings (accidentally used an item that locked me out of the 3rd lol).

Man, this game is soo good. Highly recommended to anyone wanting to get into Souls games - very forgiving with checkpoints and spirit summons etc.

man build up the fight with Radagon was so hyped! Soundtrack was awesome. Was a bit disappointed that the fight with him was so short. Maybe I was over-leveled (142).

Elden Beast fight was very disappointing. The arena was too big and the boss was a bit of a pushover. Again, maybe it was because I was overleveled?

I locked myself out of the frenzy ending because I used Miquella's needle BEFORE getting the ending lmao. Excuse for another playthrough when the DLC hits

Isn’t Elden Beast bugged at the moment?

MadPanda

Banned
Any magic build recommendations? I tried elementalist and kinda don't like it. Maybe I don't know how to use magic after 140 hours of dex/arc but this seems like underwhelming to me. I'm trying spells against mountaintop beasts and I'm having a hard time. My intelligence is at 83 and my faith is at 60. What am I doing wrong?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This is the first open world game I’ve ever actually enjoyed. And despite my many personal grievances towards some philosophies of From (for example: I want cutscenes) I genuinely loved this game.

However: the last stretch of the game was truly fucking atrocious. Just way too many annoying areas and enemies/bosses.

Ordina, anyone?

Agreed. I was enjoying the game immensely but as soon as I hit forbidden lands/mountaintop of giants the game tanked and I started feeling bored. Simply powered through the rest of the areas in next 10-15hrs or so and couldn't wait to be done with it it at the end.

Still absolutely loved it and hats off to From software, but its length might be to its own detriment. There is no denying that the game is choke full of content though. You totally get your money's worth.

Amazing game but Bloodborne remains my favorite souls game still. My personal raking (what can I say. I like upgrading and customization and Sekiro simply didnt scratch that itch. It really wanted me to play the game in a very specific manner that I didnt enjoy)-

Bloodborne>Dark Souls=Demons Souls>Elden Ring>Dark Souls 3>Dark Souls 2>Sekiro.

Top Bottom