• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Mossybrew

Yea I don't feel the open world adds much to the game. I prefer the more linear style due to the 'constant tension'.

Well, that's why it's Elden Ring and not just another Souls title. The open world makes a huge difference and elevates the game way above a typical Souls game (which I am not a fan of). So have to really disagree here.

Aesius

I think the open world absolutely elevates Elden Ring, but only on a first playthrough. As I'm approaching the end of NG, I can't see myself bothering with basically ANY optional area on NG+. And I also can't see myself starting over from scratch and venturing into the countless catacombs, caves, dungeons, etc., but that's somewhat expected to remain properly leveled.

Talonz

This game is an easy platinum. At least it was for me. I had 200 hours in my first playthrough so I pretty much had everything already except for a few pieces of gear. It's the first game, I actively went back to get platinum. I enjoyed the game so much. I went through the game as a melee, so I'm going to replay it again as a Mage. The magic in this game is pretty cool, so I want to play around with that stuff.

I_D

This is kind of a weird question, but does anybody know how Elden Ring sorts the character-selection screen?

It's not based on hours-played.
It's not based on character level.
It's not based on alphabetical-order.
It's not based on most-recently-made.
It's not based on most-recently-played.

I know this is OCD as hell, but I was hoping to have my characters show up in a specific order.

As far as I can tell, it's totally random.

Pejo

This was pretty good.
n3z7xy4834v81.png

HYDE

Banned
Someone please come help me asap at the shaded castle inner gate boss fight!
This is the same guy as the bell thief iirc

Cyberpunkd

Someone please come help me asap at the shaded castle inner gate boss fight!
This is the same guy as the bell thief iirc
When in doubt just boink, he died in 3 hits.

Also why is nobody talking about high poise and colossal weapons absolutely demolishing everything in this game? I have almost full bullhorn armour with bull talisman, sitting at 133 poise with giant’s crusher +23, I just run to the boss and boink.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Some people are strange. They farm to death, summon mimic tear and then complain how the game is easy. Go one on one, don't farm and you'll be challenged.

For example, I went with lhutel against mohg as I enjoyed it a lot and didn't want to spoil it with mimic.

Last edited:

Sweatlord2000

Neo Member
Just got to Melania last night. Was level 147 so I was ready to get my assed handed to me over and over. Was kinda looking forward to it because I felt a bit too powerfull last couple hours. Beat her without breaking a sweat the second try.... Damnit.

Rivers of Blood is overpowered for sure haha!

Cyborg

This is so fcking annoying! I finished Vulcano Manor, I was on a role and defeated the boss. Only to find out this locked me out of a bunch of sidequests.

What a bullshit…

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, that's why it's Elden Ring and not just another Souls title. The open world makes a huge difference and elevates the game way above a typical Souls game (which I am not a fan of). So have to really disagree here.
Agreed completely. It gives you so many different directions to go. You can literally skip so many bosses and tackle them in any order, provided you have the skill. My ONLY major complaint is that they locked off higher tier ball bearings to Crumbling Farum Azula. It would have been nicer if you had access to these tiers earlier in the game. It makes no sense that the game gives you the option to respec which is seen as encouraging you to experiment, but they make weapon experimentation much harder.

ClosBSAS

i missed the raging wolf armor quest...what a moron...gonna have to do ng+ to get it, only thing am missing. over 200 hrs...goty for me. but yeah, its not made to be replayed fully.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When in doubt just boink, he died in 3 hits.

Also why is nobody talking about high poise and colossal weapons absolutely demolishing everything in this game? I have almost full bullhorn armour with bull talisman, sitting at 133 poise with giant’s crusher +23, I just run to the boss and boink.
i love it when GAFers talk dirty

This is so fcking annoying! I finished Vulcano Manor, I was on a role and defeated the boss. Only to find out this locked me out of a bunch of sidequests.

What a bullshit…
Do this before doing that? QUEST FAILED
Talk to this NPC before talking to that NPC you never even knew existed? QUEST FAILED.

This is why I have the wiki at all times on my second monitor. Who needs a quest log when you have the wiki. Right?
And quests with fail states that you never knew existed is genius game design.

I love this game. And I can't stop playing it. But there are many many things that I find very annoying.

Like last night, I saw this golden knight in another section of the castle below me. And I thought "Imma cheese this motherfucker" and started throwing lightning bolts at him. He then teleported behind me and unleashed a never-ending combo killing me in two or three hits. I wasn't even mad.

It's like the combat boils down to who can be the cheapest bastard. I have the blasphemous blade now and the best way to use it is to just spam the special attack over and over.

SkylineRKR

i missed the raging wolf armor quest...what a moron...gonna have to do ng+ to get it, only thing am missing. over 200 hrs...goty for me. but yeah, its not made to be replayed fully.

I had everything in one run but within 20 minutes I had beaten Godrick already in NG+. Its really easy to get there again, just skip everything and make a beeline for the boss rooms.

Anybody else a bit disappointed by the armor selection? I’ve been rocking Blaiid’s set for like half the game because it has good stats and it looks cool (I know it’s just Gut’s armor, but man it looks swag swinging dual wielding weapons with the cape shifting everywhere). I’m kinda sad I screwed myself out of the Raging Wolf set unknowingly by doing Rykard before the Capitol.

The only other armor I got that I like is the Ronin set but that has poor stats in comparison so I only switch to that if I’m playing the earlier areas in Co-op. A lot of armors seem kinda generic looking compared to stuff in DS2 and 3. Or maybe I’m off base it’s just nostalgia goggles? I’m not sure.

Cyberpunkd

Do this before doing that? QUEST FAILED
Talk to this NPC before talking to that NPC you never even knew existed? QUEST FAILED.

This is why I have the wiki at all times on my second monitor. Who needs a quest log when you have the wiki. Right?
And quests with fail states that you never knew existed is genius game design.

I love this game. And I can't stop playing it. But there are many many things that I find very annoying.

Like last night, I saw this golden knight in another section of the castle below me. And I thought "Imma cheese this motherfucker" and started throwing lightning bolts at him. He then teleported behind me and unleashed a never-ending combo killing me in two or three hits. I wasn't even mad.

It's like the combat boils down to who can be the cheapest bastard. I have the blasphemous blade now and the best way to use it is to just spam the special attack over and over.
BB - you should be ashamed of your deeds :)

Regarding the rest - I find it refreshing. It is no doubt game design from 30 years ago when games had 300-pages manuals you HAD to read. I love that we have at least one game series that does that now even if it’s a major PITA to get right. Volcano MAnor is probably the most ridiculous example.

ClosBSAS

Anybody else a bit disappointed by the armor selection? I’ve been rocking Blaiid’s set for like half the game because it has good stats and it looks cool (I know it’s just Gut’s armor, but man it looks swag swinging dual wielding weapons with the cape shifting everywhere). I’m kinda sad I screwed myself out of the Raging Wolf set unknowingly by doing Rykard before the Capitol.

The only other armor I got that I like is the Ronin set but that has poor stats in comparison so I only switch to that if I’m playing the earlier areas in Co-op. A lot of armors seem kinda generic looking compared to stuff in DS2 and 3. Or maybe I’m off base it’s just nostalgia goggles? I’m not sure.
Nah, the armors are the best they ever been. Love them.

SJRB

Gold Member

Bloodhound Knight armor is more Berserk-style than Blaidd's armor, I feel.

bloodhound_knight_armor_elden_ring_wiki_guide_200px.png

Blaidd's cape is too.... furry. Stats are WAY better though.

DelireMan7

Like other here I am surprised. I have a huge variety of armor but I explored a lot.

I don't really look the stats but for fashion there is a lot of choice.

SkylineRKR

I liked the Cleanrot set, especially altered. My fave is probably the malformed tree sentinel set. I beat the game with the Crucible set though.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
The fingerprint night armor, Hoslow armor, Cleanrot, the black potbelly looking armor from the house near the sewer entrance in the capital, Varre's armor(especially with my glowing eyes from doing Hyetta's quest and pissing Melina off lol), Blackknife Assassin armor with its displacement blurriness, Crucible knight including the tree version, and many more are awesome to me. I love the Elden Bling. Most of these would be paid DLC in a UBI game.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

i only used.....................
knight set.
scaled set.
tree sentinel set.
veteran set.
want to try the the bullgoat set and the fire prelate set in the future

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, Crumbling Farum Azul, what the fuck.

I have to say the game is kinda wearing me out at this point. I just want to finish it and this area is just bullshit.

"Hey we like dragons, so here's a thousand of them".

ClosBSAS

Man, Crumbling Farum Azul, what the fuck.

I have to say the game is kinda wearing me out at this point. I just want to finish it and this area is just bullshit.

"Hey we like dragons, so here's a thousand of them".
Ya the late game is pretty brutal. Halig tree and farum Azul are ridiculous.

SJRB

Gold Member
Ya the late game is pretty brutal. Halig tree and farum Azul are ridiculous.

It's just one area too many. It would've been perfect without Crumbling Azula. It's not exactly a fun, cool or beautiful area either [the "gimmick" of the tornadoes and stuff wears out in like 5 minutes, the enemies and their placement suck. Whole area feels like padding, honestly].

So I warped out of there and started tying up loose ends, going around destroying evergaol bosses. And I do mean DESTROYING, the Limgrave/Liurnia evergoal bosses got absolutely annihilated.

After that I totally bodied Commander O'Neill in Caelid. It's nice to go around just grinding "difficult" enemies to a pulp.

Last edited:

Boneless

It's just one area too many. It would've been perfect without Crumbling Azula. It's not exactly a fun, cool or beautiful area either [the "gimmick" of the tornadoes and stuff wears out in like 5 minutes, the enemies and their placement suck. Whole area feels like padding, honestly].

So I warped out of there and started tying up loose ends, going around destroying evergaol bosses. And I do mean DESTROYING, the Limgrave/Liurnia evergoal bosses got absolutely annihilated.

After that I totally bodied Commander O'Neill in Caelid. It's nice to go around just grinding "difficult" enemies to a pulp.
Best bosses of the game in that area.

Banned
I'm super slow but I finally finished my first run!! YAY lol

what a game... holy shit

but... did anyone else beat the final boss without coop on the second try?

I never farmed at all the whole game and was like lvl 140 I think... and was kinda surprised how easy the final boss was tbh lol

what a game... holy shit

I never farmed at all the whole game and was like lvl 140 I think... and was kinda surprised how easy the final boss was tbh lol
Final boss is currently broken. It doesn't always use it's bag of magic tricks or it's teleport. Just stays close and lets you kill it.

FunkMiller

what a game... holy shit

Yeah, Elden Beast has been nerfed. Your slowness has been your greatest advantage 😊 Keep going and Malenia should be easy in two or three patches.

Well, I finally triple dipped, got ER for Steam so I can play it on my Steam Deck.

Does anyone know if it’s risky to use Nexus mods for ER? can my account get soft-banned?

Yeah, Elden Beast has been nerfed. Your slowness has been your greatest advantage 😊 Keep going and Malenia should be easy in two or three patches.
If it's a nerf it's an odd one. It works like it used to roughly 1/2 the time. I just finished up another plat run (ps4 too cos why not?) and 1st try it was old version and 2nd it wasn't and it died. Really quickly.

Top Bottom