• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Banned
Final boss is currently broken. It doesn't always use it's bag of magic tricks or it's teleport. Just stays close and lets you kill it.

well it teleported twice for me and used that ring that closes on you once... also shot magic at me once, but my maxed out axe did a a lot of damage and I killed it pretty quickly

well it teleported twice for me and used that ring that closes on you once... also shot magic at me once, but my maxed out axe did a a lot of damage and I killed it pretty quickly
Sounds like you beat the better version then. Except that one usually teleports constantly, unloads endless magic bs and only lets you get 2 or 3 hits in before pissing off again! lol

mansoor1980

gave up and started the game again with a new character and the shader stutters are gone , boost to stamina is also very nice.Really nice performance improvement with the new patch

MadPanda

Banned
I spend almost whole day yesterday playing the game. I've beaten some notable bosses. Maliketh, Malenia, that boss before. Malenia, Dogfrey, some evergaola I think and tried radagon which I managed to kill once but died to Elden Beast and stopped as I've had enough for a day. I'll try Elden beast again today.

Malenia is probably my favorite boss in the game. It's amazing. Can't wait to come to her again in NG+. Maliketh is also very cool. All of these endgame bosses are great.

Mr Hyde

NG+ in Elden Ring is so much fun. The level of freedom is even greater the second time you roam around, since now you are powered up and basically steamroll a lot of enemies and bosses. It´s like you are a demigod yourself. I´m also much more confident now with parrying so that´s been really fun as well. Currently I´m doing Caelid now before Liurnia. I´ve also come to appreciate some of the areas now when I´m not just running away from everything for fear of being killed. And even though I thought I was very thorough with my first playthrough (200 hours, explored every nook and cranny) I´ve missed so much content. I´ve found more caves, dungeons, items, bosses and god knows what. It´s crazy how much optional content there is in Elden Ring. You can even skip the entirety of Stormveil Castle and go straight to Liurnia if you want, something I didn´t realize until my second playthrough. From Software are basically the only ones I know who are doing this kinda game design, whereas other developers go out of their way to let us experience everything their game has to offer.

Banned
Sounds like you beat the better version then. Except that one usually teleports constantly, unloads endless magic bs and only lets you get 2 or 3 hits in before pissing off again! lol

I actually think the first try, the one where I died, I had the broken version. I almost killed it but was way too greedy and literally died with it having like maybe 5% health left... I had 7 flasks left as well 😭 I could have killed it first try, but my hubris was in the way

but in the second try at least I could let some steam off when I completely bum-fucked the first phase lol... I destroyed his ass xD

Last edited:
You can even skip the entirety of Stormveil Castle and go straight to Liurnia if you want, something I didn´t realize until my second playthrough.
lol i done that very early on...like maybe 6-7 hours in. i was exploring and instead of going up to the castle i went around it. jumped off the broken bridge and ended up at a site of grace. that was the point where i was taken to round table hold so i never bothered to go back. i was curious of how far i could go but i thought i had to do stormveil.

once i finally beat stormveil i realised that the world had already updated to a point as if i had cleared it. i think roderika isn't meant to go to RTH until you clear it but she was there before i beat Margit. having rested at the cliff facing site of grace the game must've thought i wasn't going to do stormveil. when i came out stormveil i ended up right at that site of grace.

when i tried NG+ i headed straight for liurnia and defeated Rennala. in my original playthrough i didn't get there until about maybe 30-35 hours in but in NG+ i defeated her after about 40 minutes lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck it. I turned all wizard on those 2 marionette asshole in volcano mansion and it was a breeze

Any tips for that cocaine filled rune bear in that cave in Caelid?

Last edited:
I actually think the first try, the one where I died, I had the broken version. I almost killed it but was way too greedy and literally died with it having like maybe 5% health left... I had 7 flasks left as well 😭 I could have killed it first try, but my hubris was in the way

but in the second try at least I could let some steam off when I completely bum-fucked the first phase lol... I destroyed his ass xD
It's a lot more enjoyable beating the good version. I just went back and killed it with my faith build as I previously got stuck and didn't bother. I dumped the shield I had been using, went and got another scythe to power stance that shit and destroyed the bastard. Good version too with endless magic spam.

MadPanda

Banned
I've beaten the game today, that Elden beast was challenging. Then went tans tried that hidden boss in crumbling farum azula and got destroyed...

SkylineRKR

lol i done that very early on...like maybe 6-7 hours in. i was exploring and instead of going up to the castle i went around it. jumped off the broken bridge and ended up at a site of grace. that was the point where i was taken to round table hold so i never bothered to go back. i was curious of how far i could go but i thought i had to do stormveil.

once i finally beat stormveil i realised that the world had already updated to a point as if i had cleared it. i think roderika isn't meant to go to RTH until you clear it but she was there before i beat Margit. having rested at the cliff facing site of grace the game must've thought i wasn't going to do stormveil. when i came out stormveil i ended up right at that site of grace.

when i tried NG+ i headed straight for liurnia and defeated Rennala. in my original playthrough i didn't get there until about maybe 30-35 hours in but in NG+ i defeated her after about 40 minutes lol.

I did do stormveil again but it took me 10 minutes tops. I jumped down into the courtyard not long after getting the key from the knight. Made a straight run for the giant and boss door behind him. Enemies didn't scratch, so I just killed a few on the way too. I don't level up anymore so its really w/e.

Plantoid

Man this new patch 1.04 is awesome, finally the colossal swords are worth it, I'm doing a run as a godslayer spellslinger with the godslayer sword

Plantoid

Fuck it. I turned all wizard on those 2 marionette asshole in volcano mansion and it was a breeze

Any tips for that cocaine filled rune bear in that cave in Caelid?
Tips for bears in general:

Get a high stability shield, only attack after his second slash, you can buff your shield, don't get greedy, it's almost impossible to poise break these mofos

Portugeezer

I was probably over levelled (145 thanks to the bug talisman throughout most of my playthrough), my spirit Ash was fully upgraded, and my giant anchor was fully upgraded, but the final bosses weren't so hard for my strength build. Could eat most attacks with blocking and other damage is somewhat negated by talismans and different armour sets.

Glad I finished the game. 2 months straight I've been playing this, definitely the longest game I have played in terms of unique content.

Next game will have be some popcorn game which is more forgiving on reactions.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
AT LONG LAST...I have reached the cap on leveling before hard diminishing returns. :lollipop_tongue:

Level 501 - Over 367 hours
YMAphvF.jpg

SIQTrcG.jpg

It took many MANY hours of horrifically slaughtering defenseless sleepy Albinaurics for their mighty bounty of juicy tasty runes. ✨

The Lands Between should now sport a new mountain of piled high corpses reaching nearly as high as the tallest branches of the great golden Erdtree itself.

oFiVwyk.jpg

Worry not though, brother. Your sacrifice will not be in vain...
zMn3X1Q.jpg

...FOR I SHALL YET CONTINUE TO GROW STRONGER AND STRONGER STILL! UNTIL EACH STAT IS LISTED AT THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF 99- AND EVERY EVIL OF THESE LANDS SHALL FALL INTO RUIN AND DISTANT MEMORIES LONG FORGOTTEN..

AN AGE...OF THE FOOL'S ERRAND! ❤️‍🔥
eqKIX9t.jpg

The silliest thing is...one of the main reasons I've overleveled so much is so that I don't have to wear ugly armor. (Going with a Red Sonya inspired look for now).

I can wear what I like and still survive.
Priorities, y'know? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Tips for bears in general:

Get a high stability shield, only attack after his second slash, you can buff your shield, don't get greedy, it's almost impossible to poise break these mofos
I poise break them at least once per fight with my Str/Fai character. I just use a colossal weapons and jump/charge attack.

I started a new character, going for INT/DEX build aiming for a "swordman with magic". I like it so far.
I went to Stormveil after 3h while on my first run I went after 25h of exploring everything... The difficulty is quite different... The big knights give me quite some trouble when I can't stagger them like with my colossal weapons from my first build. I just have a long sword +1 and some magic. Each of them is a challenge xD

Yeah, Elden Beast has been nerfed. Your slowness has been your greatest advantage 😊 Keep going and Malenia should be easy in two or three patches.
I was so slow that I didn't fight Radahn until after he was nerfed and then un-nerfed. LMAO

Radahn is kinda dumb if you are overleveled though, his HP pool is tiny so you can just bonk him and he falls over. I never got to experience the sheer terror of trying to not get one-shotted by everything he does while desperately resummoning NPC buddies.

I felt bad for his tiny horse, sentenced to bear him for an eternity of rot-fueled madness until some Tarnished finally found a way to put him out of his misery.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I was so slow that I didn't fight Radahn until after he was nerfed and then un-nerfed. LMAO

Radahn is kinda dumb if you are overleveled though, his HP pool is tiny so you can just bonk him and he falls over. I never got to experience the sheer terror of trying to not get one-shotted by everything he does while desperately resummoning NPC buddies.

I felt bad for his tiny horse, sentenced to bear him for an eternity of rot-fueled madness until some Tarnished finally found a way to put him out of his misery.

Radahn actually learned gravitational magic so his trusty horse Leonard didn't have to carry him.

He refused to part ways with his trusty steed.

Chadahn!

FN7OqxsXMAgDnwG.jpg:large

DelireMan7

I did him pre nerf and it was bullshit honestly. The first phase was OK but the hitboxes were bullshit.
In second phase, everything was onehsotting me... Not a fun experience. I ended up staying in distance and spamming Fire dragon breath while the summons keep him busy.

I like the idea to fight such a powerful being, but in practice it was a pretty bad fight in my opinion. I'll see on my second run how he is but I don't have great memory of it.

Everyone complain about Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls 1 but I think it's a way better fight than Radahn (pre nerf at least).
Radahn is like half gimmick/half "true fight" boss and I am not sure I like that. I prefer rather 100% gimmick or 100% pure fight.

Meicyn

Gold Member
AT LONG LAST...I have reached the cap on leveling before hard diminishing returns. :lollipop_tongue:

Level 501 - Over 367 hours
YMAphvF.jpg

SIQTrcG.jpg

It took many MANY hours of horrifically slaughtering defenseless sleepy Albinaurics for their mighty bounty of juicy tasty runes. ✨

The Lands Between should now sport a new mountain of piled high corpses reaching nearly as high as the tallest branches as the great golden Erdtree itself.

oFiVwyk.jpg

Worry not though, brother. Your sacrifice will not be in vain...
zMn3X1Q.jpg

...FOR I SHALL YET CONTINUE TO GROW STRONGER AND STRONGER STILL! UNTIL EACH STAT IS LISTED AT THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF 99- AND EVERY EVIL OF THESE LANDS SHALL FALL INTO RUIN AND DISTANT MEMORIES LONG FORGOTTEN..

AN AGE...OF THE FOOL'S ERRAND! ❤️‍🔥
eqKIX9t.jpg

The silliest thing is...one of the main reasons I've overleveled so much is so that I don't have to wear ugly armor. (Going with a Red Sonya inspired look for now).

I can wear what I like and still survive.
Priorities, y'know? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Love the look, I went with something similar. Have to look hot while you slaughter each region. Awww yeeee.

I3EdsaX.jpg

Relique

Well, that's why it's Elden Ring and not just another Souls title. The open world makes a huge difference and elevates the game way above a typical Souls game (which I am not a fan of). So have to really disagree here.
I thought so too at first because there were some really cool moments in the beginning like the open world Agheel fight but after my tenth open world dragon I was over it. By the end I realized that it was also the case the ulcerated spirits, crucible nights, deathbirds, etc. Can't forget about all the tree avatars which are basically re-skinned Capra demons from dark souls with the same moveset plus lasers. There were certainly some cool open world moments but my favorite parts of the game are by far the legacy dungeons which are closest to old souls games. There are over 50 dungeons but only a dozen maybe felt really cool with the rest being very samey catacombs filled with imps (another re-skinned ds3 enemy). I actually think the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne were better and those were universally disliked from what I can tell. Elden ring dungeons are helped by being spread out so there is travel time to break up the monotony but the quality is worse. It didn't help that most rewards were spells and stuff that I didn't really use for my strength build. Don't get me wrong I love the game and it's in my all time faves but the open world wasn't as big of a deal for me.
I think the open world absolutely elevates Elden Ring, but only on a first playthrough. As I'm approaching the end of NG, I can't see myself bothering with basically ANY optional area on NG+. And I also can't see myself starting over from scratch and venturing into the countless catacombs, caves, dungeons, etc., but that's somewhat expected to remain properly leveled.
This was pretty much my feeling. I started seeing the cracks in Liurnia with the repetition, and by the last two zones I was starting to want to race to the end. Fortunately those zones had less dungeons than the first three and also lead to the best legacy dungeons in the series imo.

One of my first thoughts after finishing it is that I don't see myself doing another playthrough anytime soon and if I do I'm skipping most of the open world stuff. Stuff like that doesn't hold up on a second playthrough once the mystery is gone

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I was probably over levelled (145 thanks to the bug talisman throughout most of my playthrough), my spirit Ash was fully upgraded, and my giant anchor was fully upgraded, but the final bosses weren't so hard for my strength build. Could eat most attacks with blocking and other damage is somewhat negated by talismans and different armour sets.

Glad I finished the game. 2 months straight I've been playing this, definitely the longest game I have played in terms of unique content.

Next game will have be some popcorn game which is more forgiving on reactions.
Same, all you need is poise that is high enough not to get stunlocked, vigor not to be OHK, and medium roll. I was trying to be fancy with spells, shields, etc., when all you need to a buffed giant hammer.

ClosBSAS

Beat the game...200hrs. the nerfing of bosses is absolute bullshit. Radhan was like the easiest shit ever and final boss was like...mmmmkkk..seriously? That's it?

DelireMan7

Beat the game...200hrs. the nerfing of bosses is absolute bullshit. Radhan was like the easiest shit ever and final boss was like...mmmmkkk..seriously? That's it?
I heard that a lot and I feel dumb because he gave me a lot of trouble (and it was after "nerf").
It constantly run away on the other side of the arena, raining spells on me. I had to run all the time to finally arrive at it, out of stamina, place 1 or 2 attacks and then he ran away again...
Took me quite some tries to get him. And actually, the fight I got it was when he decided to stay in place for almost the whole fight.

In either way, I think it's a bad fight. Very cool design but just annoying to fight.

Last edited:
Just fought with Malenia and found out why everyone says she is very difficult. Its basically fight with her one special move. I think she is representation of many players who just rely on one special move/ash of war to beat almost every enemy they come across.

Does anyone else feel that the walking mausoleums could have been done differently? They are a spectacle when you come across one at first but then they are just not that great. They could have made them like a mini dungeons like cave/tunnels etc. with the end reward being a token or something which can be used for duplication. At least the puzzles to take them down could be different instead of just clear the skulls or jump from higher area. As of now they only feel like a minor inconvenience to go through for duplication.

I haven't finished the game yet so don't spoil anything if the answer to my question has something to do with it. Any lore reason why are many of the main characters/bosses named using R and M? Marika, Morgott, Malenia, Miquella, Margit, Mogh, Melina, Rykard, Renalla, Radagon, Radhan, Ranni etc?

tassletine

Just fought with Malenia and found out why everyone says she is very difficult. Its basically fight with her one special move. I think she is representation of many players who just rely on one special move/ash of war to beat almost every enemy they come across.

Does anyone else feel that the walking mausoleums could have been done differently? They are a spectacle when you come across one at first but then they are just not that great. They could have made them like a mini dungeons like cave/tunnels etc. with the end reward being a token or something which can be used for duplication. At least the puzzles to take them down could be different instead of just clear the skulls or jump from higher area. As of now they only feel like a minor inconvenience to go through for duplication.

I haven't finished the game yet so don't spoil anything if the answer to my question has something to do with it. Any lore reason why are many of the main characters/bosses named using R and M? Marika, Morgott, Malenia, Miquella, Margit, Mogh, Melina, Rykard, Renalla, Radagon, Radhan, Ranni etc?
I have a feeling the walking mausoleums were going to be something else originally.
They're pretty useless unless you're going for completion and it seems very strange they would program something so spectacular for something so minor.

MagnesD3

GRRM

DOW

Finished my third play through this weekend. I’m currently helping a friend clear some areas and it’s been the most fun experience.

The hilarity of all the stupid stuff, the thrill of being invaded….so fun. Now if they’d just make the multiplayer interface a little better…

Relique

Can't really agree with this considering there are over 50 dungeons already most of which are cave or catacombs like you said and they get too repetitive by the end. The dungeon rewards are about on par with what you get at the mausoleum anyway.

The answer to your other questions is spoiler territory so I suggest getting through to the end first and then looking up a lore video to figure out anything you may have missed.

I have 75 hours played now and I still don't understand the size of the game, it's ridiculous. I keep finding new areas and new questlines and It's hard to keep track of all the place I've been to but still need to either kill something or solve something.

I decided to change to from a faith/Int/Sword of Night and Flame build to a simple str build with a Grafted Blade Greatsword and I was able to complete walk all over some bosses that were giving me a hard time.

Can someone give me a spoiler and tell if I can ruin questlines by progressing others too far? That Volcano Manor questline freaks me out, if feel less wrong than just blindly following the Two Fingers but I'm not sure the game is interpreting what I'm doing as someone trying to infiltrate an organization or not.

Last edited:

Urban

Im at Volcano Manor now and found myself in Lyndell the Royal Capital. How fucking big is this game pls?

But some things are bothering me(Spoiler but no ending spoiler)

I think i did all quests up on this point but some of them are so cryptic. I found a doll of Renni and i dont have any clue what to do with it.
Blaidd is missing on the whole map. Selvius just died. Dialos was in the village of the jars and i talked to him and sometime later he was injured and died too!?

this game is for sure cryptic. No way that somebody can find all the quests and how to progress them without any help from the internet.

But i dont want to be spoiled so i think i will figure it out

Relique

I have 75 hours played now and I still don't understand the size of the game, it's ridiculous. I keep finding new areas and new questlines and It's hard to keep track of all the place I've been to but still need to either kill something or solve something.

I decided to change to from a faith/Int/Sword of Night and Flame build to a simple str build with a Grafted Blade Greatsword and I was able to complete walk all over some bosses that were giving me a hard time.

Can someone give me a spoiler and tell if I can ruin questlines by progressing others too far? That Volcano Manor questline freaks me out, if feel less wrong than just blindly following the Two Fingers but I'm not sure the game is interpreting what I'm doing as someone trying to infiltrate an organization or not.
You want to complete the volcano manor questline before completing the Mt. Gelmir zone completely. You can stop at the boss but to get everything done will require you to venture farther than Altus Plateau and come back later to finish Mt. Gelmir

Can't really agree with this considering there are over 50 dungeons already most of which are cave or catacombs like you said and they get too repetitive by the end. The dungeon rewards are about on par with what you get at the mausoleum anyway.

The answer to your other questions is spoiler territory so I suggest getting through to the end first and then looking up a lore video to figure out anything you may have missed.

I actually like the chariot based hero grave dungeons so maybe they could have done a different environment based puzzle for them. I just don't like that they are these huge monstrous moving structures and all you need to do is stand in a place and shoot the skulls off using a bow (easiest way) and none of the soldiers care as well as they are off patrolling far away. What is the point of making this elaborate mobile structure which has nothing but a door and menu to simply duplicate? Its not a deal breaker but they could have done a better implementation.

Pejo

I apologize if this has been posted here already but I saw this and fell in love ...

I love when a game is good enough to get the creative juices of fans going to create some really awesome stuff surrounding the game. Things like this and the VR mod remind me why gaming can be a fun hobby, despite the constant negativity most of the time.

Dr Bass

So ..20 hours in. Just beat Godrick last night. The size of the game just feels so daunting even now. And it also doesn't feel like I put 20 hours in. Still feels like I'm at the beginning, which as far as I can tell, I sorta am.

Quite a game. And intimidating. It's gonna take me all of 2022 to finish at this point it feels like. :messenger_tongue:

Here is a question.

Where does FromSoftware go from here with this genre? Is there going back to the old more linear style? I can't even imagine what they are trying to cook up next.

Relique

I actually like the chariot based hero grave dungeons so maybe they could have done a different environment based puzzle for them. I just don't like that they are these huge monstrous moving structures and all you need to do is stand in a place and shoot the skulls off using a bow (easiest way) and none of the soldiers care as well as they are off patrolling far away. What is the point of making this elaborate mobile structure which has nothing but a door and menu to simply duplicate? Its not a deal breaker but they could have done a better implementation.
Yeah there was definitely room to make the mausoleums more interesting. They tried to give some of them a gimmick like needing to drop down on them. That one where you have to dodge a shower of spells really tanked my framerate on PC. I was just pointing that based on their overall dungeon design I'd rather just spend a few minutes cleaning the feet and moving on with my life. I'd say maybe a quarter or a third of the 53 dungeons were fun. Like you said the hero ones were the best and a few others stood out, but the rest weren't much better than the mausoleums themselves. In fact, most open world elements were too repetitive. If you fought one open world dragon you fought them all, if you visited a ruin that's how all of them worked.. loot the couple of items and find the door to the underground chest/elite. It was fine to go through that the first time hoping for a reward, but the gameplay isn't particularly engaging to stand on it's own, particularly on a replay.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Are we sure Farum Azula is not taken out of DS3 ?
It looks exactly like something in ds3 would. Higher graphical detail compared to other levels. Separate tiles and so on. and the whole dragon theme

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Well, I finally triple dipped, got ER for Steam so I can play it on my Steam Deck.

Does anyone know if it’s risky to use Nexus mods for ER? can my account get soft-banned?
Slowly reading through the thread so apologies if this has been answered already, but yes.

With past Souls games, even simple graphics mods could have you soft-banned. From was actually pretty good about recognizing benign modders looking for a prettier game versus cheaters but there were a lot of cases where a simple texture mod would put you in a soft-ban.

Rule of thumb - only play modded if you're in offline mode. If you're not cheating, you're probably safe but its a gamble.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I've beaten the game today, that Elden beast was challenging. Then went tans tried that hidden boss in crumbling farum azula and got destroyed...

Yeah, plus there is no stake of Marika nearby making it even worse lol. Took me 8 tries. Coolest stage ever though!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yeah, they've yo-yo'ed Radahn up and down way too much. He was harder than Malenia pre-patch, then easier than Pinwheel after :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If I can level a definite criticism at From for this game is that their play testing has been a bit poor. The levels for these bosses should have been nailed down prior to release.

We shouldn't be in a situation where your enjoyment and/or struggle with the game is predicated on what patch you're playing.

Cyborg

Guys I had 4 seedbed Curses and gave it to
Dung Eater
and nothing happened I looked it up that and you need to give him 5. Am I locked out of his storyline? Or could I just go out and find the fifth?

Relique

Guys I had 4 seedbed Curses and gave it to
Dung Eater
and nothing happened I looked it up that and you need to give him 5. Am I locked out of his storyline? Or could I just go out and find the fifth?

There are six total in the game and you can go back and get them. Maybe look up the item on Fextralife and it will tell you all the locations

tassletine

I agree. But frankly the game is unbalanced to the point of being broken and will probably stay that way knowing From.
They clearly couldn't balance it -- So what do they do? Make the hard parts easy now, to stop people complaining whilst they try? That's weak if it's the case.

The game is superb in lots of ways but the dice rolling mechanics and general trolling of the player have reaches new levels. I simply don't trust the game to read my inputs and it feels like most of the boss fights are determined more by player level and then a random dice roll than any actual skill. I certainly have never been one shotted this many times in a game before, they make up the great majority of my deaths.

Top Bottom