• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Chiggs

Gold Member
I found one of the most ridiculous shortcuts/secrets in this game, and then good old From had to throw 3 normal enemies at me, which I immediately attacked, but one of them was only disguised as a normal enemy, but in all actuality ended up being a From troll enemy (remember the bird dogs in Bloodborne?), who has a devastating one-shot grab/hold you can’t do shit about.

Just thinking of getting back to where I was makes me want to quit for the day.

We’d did from said the game is 30 hours. I am 15 and still not out of limgrave lol. Or is this and the castle the main whole portion of a game?

From what I've heard the game is more like 120 if you're going to be doing everyting. From what I've seen of the map so far and how much time I've spent I would say that sounds about right. I'm 15 in as well and haven't done half of Limgrave, maybe 1/3? Though I've done some map exploring which was fun.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
After eight hours, I went back to beat Margit, having left him behind after getting ganked twice, for some exploring. At level 25, with gravity sorcery, and the wolves, it….. wasnt hard. This game‘s easy mode really is ‘go and explore the map’.

This this this. The flask charge/amount upgrades are incredibly powerful and this game is DESIGNED around using the minor summons / weapon arts, it's not the same as older games where NPC summons can trivialise bosses, they're just bonuses. Or, you can mainline the story naked and still beat it. That's the beauty.

If you're stuck on a boss go in another direction for a few hours. I was getting railed by Margit and a gigantic bonus boss, came back 5 hours later and rinsed 'em.

GymWolf

Gold Member
im so incredibly stuck i just dont know what to do? I keep going to areas, kiling everything and then I'm just clueless wat to do. Nothing happens, no new area unlocks. I can get anywhere I want in this game unlike previous souls games.
I cant really seem to figure out if there are objectives or a main campaign of a path u just gotta follow lol
How are you supposed to play this game and finish it?
(super dumb question but I really dont get it)
Maybe this can help?

I'm freaking confused so the yellow light said I need to go to west side , which I did and there were some jelly guys there and nothing else so I went a bit north killed gotric or whatever his name was now a new light wants me to go to north , no clue where should I go now and what to do tbh

GymWolf

Gold Member
That's some huge claims , does the sense of exploration and discovery better then BOTW ? That's why i absolutely loved BOTW
Well for once in this game the rewards for exploration are not korok seeds, samey small dungeons or breakable loot, also interesting secret enemies\bosses to fight that botw completely lacks.

That's a gigantic plus over botw.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

What level were people when defeating
Margit
? I am level 17 and am having trouble with him, so I decided to ride around and discover some more - there is A LOT I had overlooked or just areas I never went to. So much to do, don't feel like you need to rush the main story.
im alot lower level and it took me 3 hours but I upgraded my spirit beast and it helped me beat him finally.. i was stubborn :/

mansoor1980

my level 9 pathetic wretch finally felled the beastman of farum azula
200.gif

protonion

2 hours in. Believe the hype.

I stumbled upon an early mini dungeon with some gremlins, fire traps and a cool boss that took me 4 tries. Now just killing mobs and wildlife.

Everything feels so good. Generally open world gameplay bores me but this feels different.
There is always something that picks your curiosity and usually there something to discover at every corner.

If Ragnarok misses 2022 this will be the easiest goty ever.

kikkis

Academy main boss was frustrating, half the attacks were 1hk, trick first phase and fair amount of running to boss everytime.

Game doesn't seem to give indication what's the correct path after academy. Dude talked about capital but there is a lot of great rune bosses left.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Hello cully

who the hell is this invisible guy near stormfront gates or whatever it is called down near the bridge there near the site of grace is a wooded area and someone talking to me but I cannot see them, no prompt to speak to them, they must be invisible or a rock person, this game is funny as fuck

Hinedorf

Banned
If you're using a shield you need to get Ash of War Barricade shield, feels a bit OP as it's been the game changer in me starting to wipe out bosses all over the map

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Spent 5 hours playing co-op with a buddy today, password matchmaking works perfectly. I'm 15 levels higher so when I joined his game it simply nerfed my power. I told him I covered a lot of ground in the opening area and for him to take the lead and see what happens. Turns out - despite my extensive exploration - I missed no less than *3* dungeons and 2 NPC's, this game truly is massive. I haven't beaten Godrick yet because I haven't even *seen* Godrick yet lol. Getting close I think though, I'm exploring every inch of Stormveil and finding lots of cool stuff.

I'm telling you right now this is a 100+ hour game if you're playing it as it's "meant" to be played and actively exploring it's densely packed world. The opening story cinematic indicated there are 5 Lords to defeat? Safe then to assume each Lord has their own "region", the massive starting map area is only Godrick's, do the math.
🤯🤯🤯

I'd discourage anyone from looking stuff up/using guides, Souls is best played by *doing*, it will be a much richer and rewarding experience 🙏.

Hello cully

who the hell is this invisible guy near stormfront gates or whatever it is called down near the bridge there near the site of grace is a wooded area and someone talking to me but I cannot see them, no prompt to speak to them, they must be invisible or a rock person, this game is funny as fuck
You’re close, not a rock person but

a tree person, smack the little tree that you hear the voice coming from

VN1X

Banned
Anyone else having issues "logging in" with this on Series X? Everytime I try it gives me a connection error so I'm having to play the game in offline mode. It's weird because I can still see other players' messages?

imsosleepy

there is one thing i dont understand yet.. Is this game build with getting lots of different weapons or do most people use their base weapon for the whole playtrough? Kinda dissapointed with loot so far.. Im a warrior and have not found anything that is a better new cool shiny weapon
just upgrading my base weapon and that gets kinda boring.

nemiroff

Gold Member
there is one thing i dont understand yet.. Is this game build with getting lots of different weapons or do most people use their base weapon for the whole playtrough? Kinda dissapointed with loot so far.. Im a warrior and have not found anything that is a better new cool shiny weapon
The drop rate feels very slow compared to the Dark Souls games. I'm also STILL on my base weapon after 10 hours, feels weird. But it might be the way I play, IDK.

Fess

How can I hide the user messages?
I’m playing offline but the world is still littered with stupid comments.
Edit: and now they’re gone, don’t think I changed anything? Oh well.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Anyone else having issues "logging in" with this on Series X? Everytime I try it gives me a connection error so I'm having to play the game in offline mode. It's weird because I can still see other players' messages?

Same here. Also a message saying i should check my connection. As if fhe problem is on my end! Sacrilege I tell you =P

Last edited:
just started. spent most of my time trying to make my character look good. not 100% happy with it but it'll need to do.

getting my ass kicked by the tree sentinel now :)

kikkis

Problem is the lack of stones for weapon upgrades, using just starting weapon is path of least resistance.

tassletine

Jesus the graphics are quite bad.

Okay I'll go to Stormfront, like the game says.

Hmm. This is just Dark Souls 3 open world. I really can't see any improvement.

Bounce off the Troll at the gate, run past it.

You know what, the art direction really makes up for the pop in, there's some great stuff here.

Get to Margit The Fell boss, bounce off,

Go and explore the rest of the world. This is pretty good, but I'm kind of sick of open worlds, damn you FromSoft you've watered yourself down, I really don't want to be running on horseback between each encounter. Is this it?

Lore seems really good. Cool characters.

Okay levelled up, lets fight Margit.

Win! Great boss, lets explore the castle.

HOLY FUCK!! THE OPEN WORLD IS THE FILLER???!!! This castle is HUGE!

Right now this has the potential of being the best game of all time. My jaw has remained on the floor.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We are playing the exact same way dude. I was feeling really bad about not being able to beat that douche Margit 9 hours in but seeing people also having problems makes me feel good. Margit kicking my ass was the reason why i start exploring the world tbh.

Have you been to
siofra river
yet? If not, I'd hardly recommened you to do so.
You are not kidding. I’ve beat margit but still exploring limgrave.
Far east is hell.
Finally found the place you recommended holy fuck. How from soft. How?! How there is whole landscape of game in every direction. You open a door and there is 5hours of optional area. I am overwhelmed. It is amazing

Last edited:

Aesius

I rolled a Vagabond becuase longsword + what looks like the Elite Knight Set. As others have pointed out, I can’t imagine switching to a heavier or slower weapon. I’m usually a 2H great sword guy but no way in this game.

Also, the various Catacombs are straight up mini Chalice Dungeons. Including weak and throwaway bosses (thus far).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Game is now capped at 30fps for me, which is fine. Haven’t noticed any hitching so maybe that patch helped out.

About 8 or 9 hours in. Wrapped up the
castle to the south of Limgrave
. Still some exploring there to do as I don’t have the map yet.

imsosleepy

I dont get it.. I go into stromveil castle.. But then get to a room that is locked and this incredible strong dude with a shield is there and I cant progress anymore :/

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I dont get it.. I go into stromveil castle.. But then get to a room that is locked and this incredible strong dude with a shield is there and I cant progress anymore :/

What don't you get? Kill the dude, there will be a key in the room needed to progress further into the castle.

Best dark souls formula improvement? Being able to roll up on a situation and saying, nah son, fuck that while jumping on your horse/manticore hybrid and dipping the fuck out in the opposite direction.

rwyKUWA.gif

Top Bottom