• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Fuck that Giants Conquering Hero's Grave for now.

But thanks P Peter303 😁

I skipped the Subterranean inquisition chamber so that's were I am at the moment.

Also Soodanim Soodanim about rolling into attacks, works wonders on the big rune bears. They have like.. tunnelvison. Roll into their midst and hack away. Easy peasy. BTW Soodanim I'm going to try those crystal darts on those armored orc in the Subterranean chamber. Let's see! And yeah I could craft 388 haha

Holy shit this a big dungeon with all the tunnels and drops to lower levels. Just got killed by that spider arm dude. Damn.

Such a confusing catacomb..
I think I opened the door to the boss but I missed some exploring in the slugs tunnels and have not yet killed the spider arms dude. So I'll relocate myself to the entrance and hope I can take the route I took that let me there... Great you can fast travel in that area.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ok so I found the sewer slugs pipes, made sure to jump over the holes. Explored and killed everything. (Lucky i had poison incantation on me could craft Deathblight bolussus) ended up opening the door in front of the site of grace. No to go back to the sewer tunnels because I missed a left turn somewhere AND I have to drop down (twice I think) to fight spiderman. LET'S GO

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I did it all AND released Dung Eater. Boss time I guess!

I swear I found a second site of grace but it's not on the map. Ow man... can't remember where it was.. Hmm... Well just look for the boss door in guess there's a stake or marika just next to it

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I didn't do everything! Found a manhole in that "imps chilling on sewerpipes" section that led me to a labyrinth which ultimately led me to the bonfire just before the boss door. JFC what a area this was....

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Okay beat Omen second try.. easiest boss yet it think? And what does my stupid ass do? Open up the secret entrance and get killed losing 200000+ runes :( A BitterSweet ending. Not even from the platforming section (well it started there) but one of these fire breathing assholes who got me stunned. 2 fire breaths and yeah. Bybye runes.

Also FUCK that vertical platforming shit. Soooo annoying. And the more you die the more hasty you tend to get; arrggghhh

Last edited:

Soodanim

Okay beat Omen second try.. easiest boss yet it think? And what does my stupid ass do? Open up the secret entrance and get killed losing 200000+ runes :( A BitterSweet ending. Not even from the platforming section (well it started there) but one of these fire breathing assholes who got me stunned. 2 fire breaths and yeah. Bybye runes.

Also FUCK that vertical platforming shit. Soooo annoying. And the more you die the more hasty you tend to get; arrggghhh
Strangely, I had almost no trouble with the platforming. The trouble I had was from overshooting, because different drops have to be jumped, rolled, or walked.

Also, practice the quick quit out. Get the muscle memory and you will never die from falling again.
Start, up, A, L1, A, left, A. Something like that. It can be done in about half a second when you're practiced at it, and when you load back in you'll be on the last safe platform you were on. It's a trick I learned back in DS1 and has saved me countless times in every game since because From keep throwing platforming at us and it's never great

Eventually there's nowhere else to go and you have to take the plunge, you won't die though

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Strangely, I had almost no trouble with the platforming. The trouble I had was from overshooting, because different drops have to be jumped, rolled, or walked.

Also, practice the quick quit out. Get the muscle memory and you will never die from falling again.
Start, up, A, L1, A, left, A. Something like that. It can be done in about half a second when you're practiced at it, and when you load back in you'll be on the last safe platform you were on. It's a trick I learned back in DS1 and has saved me countless times in every game since because From keep throwing platforming at us and it's never great

Eventually there's nowhere else to go and you have to take the plunge, you won't die though

Yeah is the figuring out if it's a walk off, roll, running jump etc. Well said man.

Learning that combo is gonna take a good while but it's great advice, appreciated!

I do hope there's something to be found along the way down.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ordina, Liturgical Town

Looked on Fextra because somehow I missed the goal so I didn't knew what to do right.

Ok..Light four torches. Something something invisible enemies.

Then I read about the torch (cool, have it) and a talisman of concealment found in Sage's cave. What? I've been there already?

So I go there an yup, missed the black knight or something so I got the talisman.

Those black knights have a lot of health. And the talisman only works "like 5 medium rolls away" from being seen.

This is going to take a while I think.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Yeah I'm going back and do that when I have to go there anyway to give Dung Eater all of his meals and some of those meals are found in the Haligtree

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Okay. So I need to take 2 Magic archers out to get to the last 2. I never use bows and the angles are annoying

Soodanim

Ordina, Liturgical Town

Looked on Fextra because somehow I missed the goal so I didn't knew what to do right.

Ok..Light four torches. Something something invisible enemies.

Then I read about the torch (cool, have it) and a talisman of concealment found in Sage's cave. What? I've been there already?

So I go there an yup, missed the black knight or something so I got the talisman.

Those black knights have a lot of health. And the talisman only works "like 5 medium rolls away" from being seen.

This is going to take a while I think.
Good luck, that's one of my least favourite parts. It's the Black Knife Assassins that I don't like, I haven't learned their movset so they're all over the place. They jump around too much and they slice your damn throat for huge damage. Fighting several in a row turned out to be not worth it (I would use 4+ flasks on the first one so I was never going to get them all) and I ended up running through the area.
Okay. So I need to take 2 Magic archers out to get to the last 2. I never use bows and the angles are annoying
On the rooftops? I think crouched behind something until they stopped and then sprinted towards them. Once you get to them, you're fine. You could always look through your consumables and see if anything works, free aim a long throw and see what happens

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Good luck, that's one of my least favourite parts. It's the Black Knife Assassins that I don't like, I haven't learned their movset so they're all over the place. They jump around too much and they slice your damn throat for huge damage. Fighting several in a row turned out to be not worth it (I would use 4+ flasks on the first one so I was never going to get them all) and I ended up running through the area.

On the rooftops? I think crouched behind something until they stopped and then sprinted towards them. Once you get to them, you're fine. You could always look through your consumables and see if anything works, free aim a long throw and see what happens

Agree 100% with your Black knife asshole experience.

After lighting the first and jumped down to get an angle on the archers one assassin attacked me from behind so i booked it and could light the one "in the middle".

The route takes me on top of the buildings where I need a perfect jump to progress while being shot at from in front of me and one on the right. I'll try waiting, see if they stop. Or free aim with a long bow. Annoying but it has to be done.

Yes i think i found a strat.
Fingers crossed

Edit see below

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
KKWNZwd.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
So… this happened today

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/PABT3BUT
L158
Vigor 68
Endurance 44
Strength 46
Dexterity 45
R Armament 1 497

Blood Uchikatana +25
White mask

Lord of Blood’s Exultation
Rotten Winged Sword Insignia
Prosthesis Wearer Heirloom
Dragoncrest Greatshield Talisman

Mimic Tear +10

Basically it’s more a game of DPS than actual combat. And you need to get lucky with the RNG so that you don’t get those spin attacks.

Last edited:
Congratulations on making it to Haligtree. It is my favorite area of the entire game. It is visually stunning, everything is in plain sight, it has amazing items, it is great for farming, and it has the most broken weapon in the game. Too bad Malenia is an unfair boss. She would be pretty great if every hit she landed didn't heal her, but it just justifies abusing the game mechanics.

The most broken weapon in the game is the Envoy's Long Horn. It drops from the large Marshmallowmen. If you pair it with:

1. Envoy Crown headgear
2. Shard of Alexander talisman
3. Sacred Scorpion Charm talisman
4. Godfrey Icon talisman
5. Two Fingers Heirloom talisman
6. Faith-Knot Crystal Tear and Holy-Shrouding Cracked Tear mix of Woderous Physick
7. Golden Vow incantation
8. decent base Faith stat

... the Bubble Shower ash of war will erase endgame bosses in under half a minute.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Congratulations on making it to Haligtree. It is my favorite area of the entire game. It is visually stunning, everything is in plain sight, it has amazing items, it is great for farming, and it has the most broken weapon in the game. Too bad Malenia is an unfair boss. She would be pretty great if every hit she landed didn't heal her, but it just justifies abusing the game mechanics.

The most broken weapon in the game is the Envoy's Long Horn. It drops from the large Marshmallowmen. If you pair it with:

1. Envoy Crown headgear
2. Shard of Alexander talisman
3. Sacred Scorpion Charm talisman
4. Godfrey Icon talisman
5. Two Fingers Heirloom talisman
6. Faith-Knot Crystal Tear and Holy-Shrouding Cracked Tear mix of Woderous Physick
7. Golden Vow incantation
8. decent base Faith stat

... the Bubble Shower ash of war will erase endgame bosses in under half a minute.

Wow thanks man! I bet I'll love it as well! Not going to read your spoiler yet but thanks anyways! Also I've seen that name come up so much it's like whatever; we'll see how I fair...

Btw is Dung Eater Puppet a good on for her? Gonna collect all his.. well.. shit, and get his puppet.

Still have to so that dark mansion where you have get the imps into the light. And the asscat.. I dread going back. Perhaps after Haligtree I'm stronger and it's more manageable. I mean, it's not hard it's just so random and luck based with those imps.

Last edited:
In Malenia boss fight, Dung Eater is a tank that can draw agro. The damage he dishes out and the hits she lands on him result in a net zero. Mimic Tear works better if you have a quick weapon/weapon art as she is easily staggered by two constant attackers. If you respec to focus on Vitality and Endurance with the best armors the Mimic Tear will be even more tanky than Dung Eater. I took her out with Bull-Goat set on and Darkmoon Greatsword equiped with Mimic Tear by my side out of an abundance of caution.

* Worth noting that you should be finished with Millicent side quest by the time you reach Malenia.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Ordina Town? Fuck that place. Actually I wouldn't mind the assassins at all. Just light the one torch on lower ground and yolo to the ladder. You don't have to light it up again if you do get shanked. But those guys on the rooftops with their infinite MP and rapid fire? Fuck them. What I did was I took my Golem Greatbow, and just picked them off from range. After a few hits they should fall down after which they're harmless and you can just light all torches.

As for Malenia. I prefered not to use summons as she regains health on hit. I beat her without summon, eventually. With a melee build. You CAN however perfect her first phase by keeping max distance from her and pelt her with frenzied burst if you can cast it. If you opt to melee her, she only does her waterfowl attack at 2 health tresholds. I think 70% and 30% and if she regains she does it again. Its not random. Expect it after taking a chunk of her health bar. Throw a freeze pot when she ascends, it will cancel her special. But its actually not that hard to evade too. IIRC you can evade the first wave by backpedaling, the second wave you actually need to roll straight into and then a side roll third. I could usually evade the first 2 and the third wouldn't kill me anyway, never bothered to use shields in this game.

Soodanim

I just watched this whole video, there's some entertainingly broken things in here. To quote a comment: "Ah yes, the RL 1 run guide disguised as a One-shot run guide disguised as a Break Elden Ring run guide."

I’m traveling tomorrow so I’m going to miss my daily one hour of Elden Ring.

I managed to reach the first site of grace on the mountaintops of the giants. But damn that gargoyle was tough! I then met Shabriri there and listened to him ramble about chaos. The tall enemies in the ruins nearby drop a whopping 6K runes each, but they’re quite vicious. Glad the game allows you to use your summon there.

And so it seems I’m at the late-game now. At level 120 I don’t feel overlevelled anymore, in fact I’m gonna have to find an ancient dragon smithing stone for my Bloodhound’s Fang and whatever that item is called in English to upgrade the mimic tear.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This game is intense. I finished my 5 hour long session shaking. Managed to kill 4 bosses, including taking revenge on that first monstrosity that kills you at the beginning of the game.

Ik lach omdat het zo herkenbaar is.

Yeah man after some intense sessions i need a break. Especially after frustrating shit. It's like completing a difficult puzzle with a misprint that throws you off until you figure it out.

After such an endeavor I need a break lol

Wow I'm so bad at analogies

Good work though brother!!!

Manji Uzuki

After 104 hours I finished the game yesterday! I went to all map locations and did a lot of optional things but dam, this game is HUGE. Will give it some time before doing a ng+. Lets see if we get DLC in the meantime.

The bosses in this game are incredible. Some of them I think are truly among the best of the series. Fromsoft keeps delivering every single time

Soodanim

Decided to make a Kaiden warrior character, spent 1.5 hours farming the 6 enemies near Northern Agheel Lake. Ended up with 5 Dismounters, 5 helmets, 8 gauntlets, 6 legs, and eventually my 1 armour.

I don't know if I'll see it through, but it's an easy/early one to set up and the Dismounter is a very competent weapon. Going to throw on some ashes of war I haven't used before, there's a lot of them.

The Kaiden warriors drop Frozen berries (well, all the berries), which can only be made from items in the mountain tops. Yet we only see this (quite tough) enemy at the beginning. I think we we originally supposed to get them everywhere, as they are travelling mercenaries. Would have been better fighting more variations of these than some of the enemies we got, like Caelid's giant birds somehow in the mountains that are a giant pain to fight

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hey Guys,

So I read here yesterday that Malenia is easily staggered so fast weapons like katana's should work wel then I reckon?

If this is the case, which would you guys prefer;

Morgott's Cursed Sword
Moonveil (have used it, loved it)
Rivers of blood (looks very sexy and causes bloodloss build up just like Morgott's)

Thoughts?

Because I need to respec perhaps when I finally meet her for being able to use them

mansoor1980

Hey Guys,

So I read here yesterday that Malenia is easily staggered so fast weapons like katana's should work wel then I reckon?

Morgott's Cursed Sword
Rivers of blood (looks very sexy and causes bloodloss build up just like Morgott's)

Thoughts?

Because I need to respec perhaps when I finally meet her for being able to use them
guardians swordspear

Guardian%27s%20Swordspear.png

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
it is
- relatively fast compared to other spear class weapons
-good range and damage
-unique move set
-has good scaling with both strength and dexterity

Mansoor, since you're 2 years older than me must mean you're wiser and I will take your advice to <3

I just looked it up and it seems I am not yet in possession of this great looking spear.

I will look up where to find it, how to obtain it and practice with it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
it is
- relatively fast compared to other spear class weapons
-good range and damage
-unique move set
-has good scaling with both strength and dexterity

Mansoor, since you're 2 years older than me must mean you're wiser and I will take your advice to <3

I just looked it up and it seems I am not yet in possession of this great looking spear.

I will look up where to find it, how to obtain it and practice with it

Fuck me I DO have it 🙌

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

Hey Guys,

Morgott's Cursed Sword

Thoughts?

I used the rivers of blood with her. The special skill destroys her, specially if you go with the mimic

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
After 104 hours I finished the game yesterday!

Let's say.. Take off 30 hours idling when taking phone calls, sigaret breaks, etc. No make it 50. I'm still 450 hours into my first playthrough..

I don't get it.. I'm far from a bad player.

GgJQEKT.jpg

(Well, to be fair I was using quite some substances the first 200+ hours. Hmmm)
Oh and I mostly walk, same in death stranding... But still

I used the rivers of blood with her. The special skill destroys her, specially if you go with the mimic

That's why I like asking it ITT. Everyone uses something different and that's very nice to read. So thanks for your advice as well.

Last edited:

Peter303

I accidently killed a shopkeeper and I feel genuine guilt.
I did that too but you get their Bell Bearing. I did wonder if it was worth killing all the shopkeepers and giving all their Bell Bearings to the twin hags back at Roundtable hold, make some kind of Elden Ring Walmart equivalent.

Woggleman

I did that too but you get their Bell Bearing. I did wonder if it was worth killing all the shopkeepers and giving all their Bell Bearings to the twin hags back at Roundtable hold, make some kind of Elden Ring Walmart equivalent.
This is true but I felt bad. He was nice to me and then I mistook him for an enemy.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm definitely not a fan of fighting bosses the size of entire screen in small, closed spaces. I was exploring underground of the starting area (the one with the crazy chariot) and killed a big ass, fire breathing tree. I'm tired. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm definitely not a fan of fighting bosses the size of entire screen in small, closed spaces. I was exploring underground of the starting area (the one with the crazy chariot) and killed a big ass, fire breathing tree. I'm tired. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yes, that's quite an on your toes session first time around lol. You'll meet more, their moveset is pretty basic you'll notice eventually.

Got to the third site or grace in the Haligtree and it was quite the ride. Very dope.

In other news I did a respec so I could use the rivers of blood. It's only missing the somber dragon stone but I wouldn't have used it anyways. Not much of those laying around.

It's very nice using a fast paced weapon again although it's damage output even just below max was disappointing.

I have Strength at 40 so it'll grow stronger as time goes on.

I feel the need to farm so I can use multiple weapons and armor but for now I'll leave thing go on organically.

Oh and I bought 8600(0?) runes worth of boiled crab lmao.

Done for the night.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This is true but I felt bad. He was nice to me and then I mistook him for an enemy.

I dont blame you

They do emit a malicious aura

Like a trickster! Being all nice at first and before you know it he's got the drop on you!

smirk dwight GIF

Last edited:

Soodanim

I've been playing with a mod that changes the FOV and it feels so much better.

I booted up Dark Souls 3 and started a new character, and the camera is so much closer it's unreal. I might have to mod DS3 as well.

What I also found funny about going back to DS3 (apart from control changes and no jump) is that because delayed attacks are a way of life in ER, DS3 feels easier for the most part. Bosses do, at least. I'm playing better than I ever did and I'm out of practice. Normal enemy groups can and will kill you in seconds if you let them. They make ER gank dog packs seem tame.

You also don't realise how much the animations changed from DS3 to ER until you go back. I just wish I had the performance of DS3 in ER.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
guardians swordspear

Guardian%27s%20Swordspear.png
This thing is a fantastic weapon. If you're the type of player who usually mains longsword style weapons this is similar but has some spear moves too. I just wish it had a thrust.

Also its extremely effective in PvP. The moves come out fast, can surprise people and when I buff it with my faith build it can two or three shot people pretty easily. A lot of people don't know the moveset either and you won't see 50 players back to back using it unlike say, the uchi etc..

Great recommendation, mansoor.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

This thing is a fantastic weapon. If you're the type of player who usually mains longsword style weapons this is similar but has some spear moves too. I just wish it had a thrust.

Also its extremely effective in PvP. The moves come out fast, can surprise people and when I buff it with my faith build it can two or three shot people pretty easily. A lot of people don't know the moveset either and you won't see 50 players back to back using it unlike say, the uchi etc..

Great recommendation, mansoor.
i did like thrust attacks on other spears at first but they tend to miss and are not good for hitting multiple enemies.
by the way this thing does have a couple of thrust attacks

Rex_DX

Gold Member
i did like thrust attacks on other spears at first but they tend to miss and are not good for hitting multiple enemies.
by the way this thing does have a couple of thrust attacks
No kidding? I messed around with it for a couple hours in PvP and loved it. Sadly I'd put most of my upgrade mats into other weapons. Once I can get it to a level similar to my other stuff I'm considering maining it. Maybe I'm misremembering about the thrusts then ... haven't played in two weeks since I haven't had a day off.

I agree with your criticism of spear thrusts, but I enjoy the thrust attacks when I can bottleneck hordes of enemies or when I'm in a hallway etc. Not amazing against bosses (Treespear being a major exception), but a good spear and a doorway can hold off a gank squad fairly efficiently.

mansoor1980

No kidding? I messed around with it for a couple hours in PvP and loved it. Sadly I'd put most of my upgrade mats into other weapons. Once I can get it to a level similar to my other stuff I'm considering maining it. Maybe I'm misremembering about the thrusts then ... haven't played in two weeks since I haven't had a day off.

I agree with your criticism of spear thrusts, but I enjoy the thrust attacks when I can bottleneck hordes of enemies or when I'm in a hallway etc. Not amazing against bosses (Treespear being a major exception), but a good spear and a doorway can hold off a gank squad fairly efficiently.
running light attack and back step light attack are pokes , no poke combos tho

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I tried the Guardians Spear moveset but on the first site of grace where I needed a weapon to keep enemies on their place (farming items) and I really like trust attacks. But maybe it's a case of getting used to a kind of weapon I've NEVER used in all the Souls games..

And I really wanted rivers of blood..

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Chittagong

Gold Member
I tried the Guardians Spear moveset but on the first site of grace where I needed a weapon to keep enemies on their place (farming items) and I really like trust attacks. But maybe it's a case of getting used to a kind of weapon I've NEVER used in all the Souls games..

And I really wanted rivers of blood..

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

I completed my first Dark Souls with a spear, the reach helped back then.

How about Uchikatana? I made mine a Blood Uchikatana +25. Scales B with Dex, is pretty fast and once you pair it up with the correct talismans, mask and seppuku it is really quite powerful. Took down Malenia with it.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah my Dex is low and I don't even have it yet it seems. Isn't it the very long one?

I used it in DS3 for a while I think. Anyways it's great you're able to give It an ash, tempting.

How do you do a seppuku ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom