• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SkylineRKR

I've been going towards quality but its not too late to change plans towards either STR or DEX. With an investment into FTH it seems like you'll need to prioritize 5 stats now ... might be spreading yourself too thin. How's it working out for you/what level are you?

Level 40 ish. Its pretty good. I can throw fireballs etc as well.

I don't need a ton of STR. Most weapons I'll 2 hand anyway. It probably means I have somewhat less health down the line and I probably drop DEX from now on.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anybody else constantly check the bloodstains? Some of them are hilarious.

Some of my personal favorites so far:
-A guy readying himself for 1 foot gap jump in a cave. Super easy jump and he someone fails completely and falls down a waterfall to his death.
-Guy full speed over shoots a dead end of a bridge on his horse. You can see his panic in his movements as he attempts to turn around.
-Some mage stealthing along a cliff and gets slammed with a giant arrow from nearby enemies to his death.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Level 40 ish. Its pretty good. I can throw fireballs etc as well.

I don't need a ton of STR. Most weapons I'll 2 hand anyway. It probably means I have somewhat less health down the line and I probably drop DEX from now on.
Wait so if you don't need a ton of STR and you're dropping DEX ... what's your damage stat going to be?

Aesius

Anybody else constantly check the bloodstains? Some of them are hilarious.

Some of my personal favorites so far:
-A guy readying himself for 1 foot gap jump in a cave. Super easy jump and he someone fails completely and falls down a waterfall to his death.
-Guy full speed over shoots a dead end of a bridge on his horse. You can see his panic in his movements as he attempts to turn around.
-Some mage stealthing along a cliff and gets slammed with a giant arrow from nearby enemies to his death.
I've seen a lot of people just randomly jumping off cliffs lol. Bloodstains didn't work on PC for several days so when they started showing up, it scared the shit out of me because I thought it was an invader.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm going to make a new thread about a GAF password to use in game so we can see each others messages and blood stains more often.

NickFire

I've seen a lot of people just randomly jumping off cliffs lol. Bloodstains didn't work on PC for several days so when they started showing up, it scared the shit out of me because I thought it was an invader.
I see suicides at all the cliffs, and I always wonder why is someone who hates their runes that much even playing this game?

Rex_DX

Gold Member
he's saying he doesn't need a lot of str because 2h gives you a boost so you don't need to match the actual strength requirement.
I get that mechanic.

I meant if you're going for a quality/ melee build but not leveling strength or dex ... how are you going to up your damage output? Weapon upgrades will only take you so far.

Maybe I misread his post.

SCB3

Nope. I usually put a summon sign down before trying a boss a few times. Gives you a sneak peek and can help some folks out. Tried that with one of the Evergaols and although I did get summoned, it looked like the poor host couldn't active the gaol and she ended up using the Finger Severer to send me home.

Some of those have an NPC summon sign, or so I read after that incident.
Yea I thought that I could at least summon the Ashes but nope, seems the game is wanting a fair fight, I've cleared the 2 in the starting Area and the South area.

Now onto the East of Limgrave and... This is a big area to clear out, this game is gonna take me to the summer isn't it?

Aesius

I'm glad that PVP invasions are opt-in in this game. I always hated that mechanic in other Souls games, but playing offline takes away a lot of the fun of the messages and bloodstains. Glad I don't have to choose this time around.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'm glad that PVP invasions are opt-in in this game. I always hated that mechanic in other Souls games, but playing offline takes away a lot of the fun of the messages and bloodstains. Glad I don't have to choose this time around.
Really, they're all opt-in? I assumed I'd unlock an item to allow the invasions of old.

That's a damn shame.

SCB3

ok, found a portal to a place called Beast Sanctum, open the doors to a Grace site, other way is a fucking mega gargoyle that almost one shots me in one hit, I'm going back to safety and not come here for a long time

Really, they're all opt-in? I assumed I'd unlock an item to allow the invasions of old.

That's a damn shame.
I just unlocked an item that lets me invade other people's games

it's there, just a but cryptic to find it

I was wondering why I wasn't getting invaded. I'm guessing most people haven't found the item

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I think once you use the item you opt-in and can be invaded at anytime. I don't think you have to opt-in per invasion.
Oh gotcha. I thought you meant you had to activate a red summon sign every time and ask to be invaded.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay so apparantly those balls that get pushed around by those beetles hide all manner of treasure, and not just flask refills like I've been thinking for the last FUCKING THIRTY HOURS OF PLAYTIME.

I've been ignoring all of them all this time.

big-oof-size.gif

Rex_DX

Gold Member

I was wondering why I wasn't getting invaded. I'm guessing most people haven't found the item
Its not the item you get for beating
the NPC invader at the Colosseum-like structure below the big castle bridge
in the starter area is it?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Okay so apparantly those balls that get pushed around by those beetles hide all manner of treasure, and not just flask refills like I've been thinking for the last FUCKING THIRTY HOURS OF PLAYTIME.

will ferrell laughing GIF

That's rough lol

Last edited:

iorek21

That's it, Leyndell is my favorite level of all time, and probably the best ever done in the Souls Franchise. It's so interconnected, filled with secrets, shortcuts, alternate paths and optional areas, very impressive stuff. It's also the most dangerous area in a Souls game by far, you have to face a bunch of old bosses at every corner, but now as regular enemies. Not even going to mention the absolute mind-blowing moment of finding the original Roundtable Castle.

As if it wasn't enough, if you advance in the Dung Eater quest, you get access to a completely new level which is basically the Depths from DS1 in steroids + an amazing mindfuck dungeon.

Simply amazing how much content there is in this game, and nothing makes it tiresome or bloated like AC Valhalla. Persona 5 Royal was the last game with so much quality content crammed together like that, and I guess you can get 120h out of both.

Kinda sad that I'm probably at the second half of the game already.

Freeman76

Try them all for 10 min. Whatever you start with in terms of armor and weapon could easily be what you're stuck with for 20 hours. 100% less gear than in any other Souls game. Starting choice is a lot more significant.

This is awful advice, please dont listen to this. Firstly, 10 minutes isnt enough time to get used to anything in this game. Secondly, there isnt '100% less gear', there is tons of stuff to find in this. I have loads of shit to choose from already and I only just beat the first boss. This guy is determined to piss on the game, that's all.

Been watching DrDisrespect play the game and man the game just clicked with him on yesrdays 3rd stream, an 11 hour stream and he only stopped because the game crashed and his wife was giving him grief.
He's blasted the game a lot, mostly about the camera and sluggish controls, but he's also getting to the addiction point with the game.

Myself, i'm about 25 hours in, and just love the game.
I saw a compilation video of him this morning. Based on the footage, it was so obvious that he was just going about it the wrong way. Trying to kill that massive bear on foot, lol. COME ON!?!? He wasn't utilizing Torrent at all and just going after mobs of enemies in open fields. Nice to know he stuck with it and is enjoying it.

I also saw another video from someone who was completely against the game, but then 8 days later uploaded a new video saying that he was completely wrong and just wasn't approaching the game how he should have been.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people, streamers especially, are really that unfamiliar with these games, I figured that most people are aware of what these games are all about and have played them, even a little, over the past decade.

Stuart360

I saw a compilation video of him this morning. Based on the footage, it was so obvious that he was just going about it the wrong way. Trying to kill that massive bear on foot, lol. COME ON!?!? He wasn't utilizing Torrent at all and just going after mobs of enemies in open fields. Nice to know he stuck with it and is enjoying it.

I also saw another video from someone who was completely against the game, but then 8 days later uploaded a new video saying that he was completely wrong and just wasn't approaching the game how he should have been.

I'm honestly surprised that so many people, streamers especially, are really that unfamiliar with these games, I figured that most people are aware of what these games are all about and have played them, even a little, over the past decade.
Well to be fair to DOC, he's never played a Souls game before, and its took him 2 full streams to start getting the hang of the game, and the gameplay mechanics. He was expecting COD level responsiveness when he first started playing lol.
It didnt help that he wasnt letting stream chat help him.

SCB3

Just beat a Fire giant in the very north of the Map (I got teleported there) and no reward? That was a unfair fight die to the camera

bitbydeath

big-oof-size.gif
I just discovered the same not too long ago, time to travel the south again.

I’ve found quite a few katanas but it doesn’t seem like any beat the uchi you start with as a samurai, especially if you power stance them

Bleed is just so good and the weapon art is great

Swift_Star

Banned

That’s not how this works, exactly. You can’t be invaded randomly anymore.

big-oof-size.gif
and how do you get the items?

Cyberpunkd

Just beat a Fire giant in the very north of the Map (I got teleported there) and no reward? That was a unfair fight die to the camera
This was so funny, I was expecting to be teleported to the same crystal tunnel, but no - From trolling.

Cyberpunkd

do what you like.. thats the beauty of it ;)
Killed Tree Sentinel, I guess I will try Evergaol then go north.

Also had a listen about all the shardbearers at the Roundtable Hold - Jesus, why is no other company able to do the mythos properly ? From is literally schooling the West how to do D&D.

Freeman76

This game has really sucked me in for the entire week since release. I find myself trying to cover every inch of ot so I dont miss anything, which can leave me feeling a bit aimless at times. Then I see a building in the distance, head on over and get drawn in again. 56 hours and about 1/3rd of the lake district covered.

Saw a messagr in front a guy in Roundtable that said "edge, lord" had 9999 upvotes 🤣

So I found a fatal flaw with the game compared to other souls games(or it could be my PS5's fault but this hasn't happened with other games when they unexpectedly crash or anything happens), unless I'm missing something. I played for about 6 hours, and my apt complex had a power issue which ended up cutting the power to everything in my apt. I didn't quit the game at all during this long session, and after letting the PS5 go through it's power/repair process, I booted up the game and noticed that I lost all 6 hours of progress. I tried the online storage method but it also tracked my last save prior to the 6 hours.

Majmun

I’m going to start playing tomorrow.

What’s the most OP way to play this game? I want game breaking stuff.

Thanks!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So I found a fatal flaw with the game compared to other souls games(or it could be my PS5's fault but this hasn't happened with other games when they unexpectedly crash or anything happens), unless I'm missing something. I played for about 6 hours, and my apt complex had a power issue which ended up cutting the power to everything in my apt. I didn't quit the game at all during this long session, and after letting the PS5 go through it's power/repair process, I booted up the game and noticed that I lost all 6 hours of progress. I tried the online storage method but it also tracked my last save prior to the 6 hours.
That's a known bug with the auto saving on PS5, you should quit the game every so often (always when you stop playing) in case the PS5 turns off unexpectedly like yours did due to the power cut, they're working on a fix. Sucks you missed it, I don't even have a PS5 but it's had threads here.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Way to go completely spoiling that area even while marking other stuff as spoilers within the same post...

Yeah, I've already been there and seen what I needed to see (still haven't finished it) but I would be peeved by that post. Thanks for pointing it out; good to just ignore folks who don't know Spoiler Etiquette: "Oh man this cool thing happened at that one place and I'm not gonna spoil it but oh man you fight Megaman X boss again but oh man it is so cool you're gonna love it!"

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Had to upgrade my armor because of stats. My Confessor now looks like a retarded chainmail gimp.

But the results are there. I just look like I belong on the short bus.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I’m going to start playing tomorrow.

What’s the most OP way to play this game? I want game breaking stuff.

Thanks!
Twin-Greatsword melee build with stats in STR/VIT/END seems pretty viable. You can grab two Greatswords within about 20 minutes of starting if you know where to look.

Points in MND/INT/DEX/END for a Spellsword type of deal. Fast attack weapons with a magic buff seem pretty OP in early PvP plus you have access to good ranged spells if you need 'em.

Pure mage will most likely wreck shit later on but in typical FROM fashion its definitely not OP in the early game.

Had to upgrade my armor because of stats. My Confessor now looks like a retarded chainmail gimp.

But the results are there. I just look like I belong on the short bus.
Fashion will always be better than armor stats in From games. I know of no one who had an easier time with a boss because they had +14 Phys. Res. etc. Worst case you can switch it up when you reach a fire-heavy boss and then change back to looking ... you know ... actually good.

Go with what looks good. Good armor barely makes a difference.

Top Bottom