• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Plantoid

Bleed needs to be nerfed, it's so good that when I try something else it feels like I'm doing half the DMG

It's specially good against dragons and humanoids, I'm not even speccing into arcane since the weapons that scale with arcane are bugged, I'm doing full dex with bloodflame buff, 2 katanas, 80 dex

The uchigatana unsheathe skill is bonkers, super fast and breaks posture in 4 hits max using heavy attack(on the hardest enemies, most take 2 or 3)

SkylineRKR

Why can I not beat these fucking Minor Erdtree bosses, there something about its timing that keeps catching me out

If you have a Greatbow, you can potshot them from range. Sometimes they do lasers, but its the only thing they do besides walking back.

Cyberpunkd

Got the ability to upgrade summons
Put Godric Soldiers +2

First summon:

Keanu Reeves GIF

SkylineRKR

Indeed, I don't give much shits about UI. And the fact there is no quest marker that constantly pushes you into the same direction is a god send.

But ER does have a pointer on the map, that does point you towards your next goal. Its not in your face, however. You can follow it, or you can ignore it. NPC's have some mission for you, but its not outlined. You have to assume that its the castle close to them they want you to liberate, and you'll find out once you clear it. Which you should do anyway.

The likes of Horizon, you can disable everything, but the game will still lock you out of the majority of locations and scripts. As there is mostly really one way to advance the plot.

Last edited:

Freeman76

So far ive gone statwise

Vigor 17
Mind 17
Endu 17
Str 13
Dex 27
Int 26
Faith 7
Arc 11

I found sword of night and flame which looks right up my alley, will i have a totally shit build if i pump faith up by 17 so I can use it?

SJRB

Gold Member
This incredibly weird rage circlejerk on Twitter from other studios' game devs about how Elden Ring is more popular than their games feels extremely unprofessional. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

If I were the manager of these guys I'd have a long talk with them.

Very unbecoming. Not to mention completely misplaced. A Battlefield 2042 UX designer is slamming Elden Ring. I mean, where do I even begin with that one?

Freeman76

This incredibly weird rage circlejerk on Twitter from other studios' game devs about how Elden Ring is more popular than their games feels extremely unprofessional. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

If I were the manager of these guys I'd have a long talk with them.

Very unbecoming. Not to mention completely misplaced. A Battlefield 2042 UX designer is slamming Elden Ring. I mean, where do I even begin with that one?
Jealousy is a bitter poison

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So far ive gone statwise

Vigor 17
Mind 17
Endu 17
Str 13
Dex 27
Int 26
Faith 7
Arc 11

I found sword of night and flame which looks right up my alley, will i have a totally shit build if i pump faith up by 17 so I can use it?

That sword is completely busted. As long as you're okay having what might be the best weapon in the game at this stage, go for it.

It hits for regular, fire AND magic damage and scales with 3 stats, but the main use is that you can summon a wave of fire or a laser beam for not much FP at all. It absolutely destroys.

Drunkdadbr

Banned
I can't seem to handle larger enemies with slow wind up attacks, my timing is always off with them
two things:
- once you press a button, you cant do anything until the animation is done. They catch your antecipation to slight movements to f you.
- unlike ANY game, you have to press the dash/iframe button way before it connects, as you have to consider it start AFTER you release the button. It's counter intuitive when any miscalculation of the tiny iframe window can let entirely exposed.

So yeah.

BabyYoda

Banned
Is anyone else still struggling with performance on PC? I thought the patches would fix it, but it's still screwed for me.

I am currently encountering a bug where changing my trousers crashes the game.
Is that your real life trousers or in game?

Cyberpunkd

Granted the game is only a week old and this will change but I was surprised that 40% of players haven't beaten the first boss
By first boss do you mean
Margit?

If so I find 60% that have beaten him an incredible achievement.

Tomeru

Technically it's not a Souls game...
Technically it most deffinitely is. Everything for animations to combat to builds to items to bosses to co-op. Its an evolution of the same formula.

And the best fucking evolution of any ip EVER.
Goat.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
By first boss do you mean
Margit?

If so I find 60% that have beaten him an incredible achievement.
Sure do.

Seems the playerbase is sticking with it. Lot more people took him down I guess! That's pretty awesome to see.

SCB3

two things:
- once you press a button, you cant do anything until the animation is done. They catch your antecipation to slight movements to f you.
- unlike ANY game, you have to press the dash/iframe button way before it connects, as you have to consider it start AFTER you release the button. It's counter intuitive when any miscalculation of the tiny iframe window can let entirely exposed.

So yeah.
Thanks, I not a Souls newbie ,but good advice!

Its just for me a pain in timing and avoiding the insane tracking on these enemies/camera

GymWolf

Gold Member
Stupid question, where the fuck is the first major boss?? i beated the dude with a gold hammer and gold knives and reached the castle, explored a lot but i can't find shit? I reached the point with the 2 giants with maces and the one with a bow in that long bridge, i thought the boss was at the end but nada.

Is he even in this castle? Do i have to unlock some door\elevator??

Well since i didn't finded him, i explored the zone with red stuff and the mutant giants dogs with bird heads but i think it is not the right path either...

Some enemy design are straight outta of bloodborne lol.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I feel that, even with the summon effigy, the player base of a single platform is not enough for a healthy MP population throughout the game, specifically in obscure "hidden" places. I kinda understand why they added Spirit summons, although they are poor replacements for a good summon.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I came to the mine with the Magma Wyrm really early cause I want this intelligence katana and he's clapping my cheeks over and over. Ash summons die in 5 seconds lol.

Low level hybrids life is rough. Stats are too spread out and vigor is ass.

cormack12

Gold Member
Any tips for prisoner? I don't really wanna smith the starting sword. Not keen on the moveset. But not even STR for Longsword and not enough DEX for Flail.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Seems like a couple Twitter twats spouting nonsense to me.

That they work in dev shouldn't be considered relevant; as noted elsewhere its unprofessional and frankly an embarrassment by association.

They are entitled to their opinions, and certainly should believe in the quality of their own work and creative vision BUT when couched in this way and under the circumstances -bemoaning critical reception being better than theirs- it just looks petty and jealous.

I highly doubt it'll curry favour with their employers, that's for sure.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This boulder powerleveling spot had to be intentional. The portal is right near the starting area. First site of grace you get to there, you also get access to the roundtable. I started an Astrologer to mess around with a pure mage build, and once you know where to go, you can beeline straight there as soon as you get your mount and powerlevel for as long as your patience holds out to get a nice head start.
Are you talking about that zone with the small soldiers that gave you like 1000 runes each?? Discovered this thing yesterday and immeditely bailed out, it feels like straight up cheating tbh.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Do we know at what point stats start giving less benefits when leveling up? Is it at 40?

My Uchi went from 2 points to 1 point at 40 with B scaling. Idk or how much higher it is with A and S scaling though.

Guys, did they improve load times? I see I'm on version 2.02 on Xbox now. Load times in Stormveil are like 3-5 seconds and I am not seeing the frame dips.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stupid question, where the fuck is the first major boss?? i beated the dude with a gold hammer and gold knives and reached the castle, explored a lot but i can't find shit? I reached the point with the 2 giants with maces and the one with a bow in that long bridge, i thought the boss was at the end but nada.

Well since i didn't finded him, i explored the zone with red stuff and the mutant giants dogs with bird heads but i think it is not the right path either...

Same castle. Just keep exploring it, you'll eventually find a site of grace with a boss door right nearby.

You might surprise yourself to find he's easier than Margit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Same castle. Just keep exploring it, you'll eventually find a site of grace with a boss door right nearby.

You might surprise yourself to find he's easier than Margit.
Margit went down in 3 tries, i sincerely doubt that he can be easier.

The problem is to find the motherfucker.

I'm also having hard time deciding my build, do weapon skills scale with int? Or they just have a fixed damage??

Jesus i played any from game but i still feel lost every single time and i always end with a shitty non-specialized build...

People in here talking about specialized builds with double katanas and i'm here with my halberd +1 because i have no fucking idea where to use stat points or upgrades...i'm probably stupid enough to fight the next boss with a +1 weapon that does jack shit damage :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I haven't died to Margit gud yet. I beat him with three characters so far. I am finding soooo many other bosses much harder. Godrick gave me much more trouble. Even the boss down below the castle was tougher.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Getting to 26 str so I’ll finally be able to one hand the anchor if I want to. This weapon is really amazing. Then I’ll put some points into faith and mind since the incantations I’m finding are finally looking useful.
I defeated a boss very bloodborne like in aisle river? I don’t remember the name but the boss caused frostbite with its electric attacks. This game really needed a bestiary so we could keep track of enemies and bosses.
I found that anchor...what is so special about it??

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
well I did it. Bought the game, diving into my first real attempt at a Soulsborne game.

I went bandit. Kind of wish I had a larger shield. Ran from a lot of shit to make it to the first camp fire where I can level up. Those damned wolves out of nowhere scared the shit out of me - I had like 5 HP and no flasks, killed one and ran lol

Cyberpunkd

When you went to the bridge with giants backtrack to main road and go up to the main courtyard. Hug right side all the way on top of stairs - left you find site of grace, right leads to boss.

Swift_Star

Banned
essa
Margit went down in 3 tries, i sincerely doubt that he can be easier.

The problem is to find the motherfucker.

I'm also having hard time deciding my build, do weapon skills scale with int? Or they just have a fixed damage??

Jesus i played any from game but i still feel lost every single time and i always end with a shitty non-specialized build...

People in here talking about specialized builds with double katanas and i'm here with my halberd +1 because i have no fucking idea where to use stat points or upgrades...i'm probably stupid enough to fight the next boss with a +1 weapon that does jack shit damage :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
look up DS3 builds. What you can do in that game and in this games is pretty much the same. That will help you have some idea of builds you could make. I went with str/fth because it’s versatile enough.

Ozrimandias

Do you guys think there will be in a short period of time a patch that could give the PS5 version a consistent 60fps? i really dont understand how, the best way to play elden ring on Ps5 is, a PS4 game.

kikkis

How much I have left? Beat capital, and now in forbidden area. I still like the game over pretty much every game out there, but its starting to feel bit long in the tooth.

Tazzu

I'm starting to think the backlash is a bit too well-timed. There is this other open-world game coming out soon which I think may have something to do with it.

Ogbert

Gold Member
How much I have left? Beat capital, and now in forbidden area. I still like the game over pretty much every game out there, but its starting to feel bit long in the tooth.
Likewise.

The game amplifies everything I love about Souls games, but also the underlying frustration. Its obtuseness is starting to get a little tiresome.

And I’m sure most will disagree, but the game just feels too big. Needs editing. Wonder has been displaced by a feeling of mild pointlessness.

Still incredible.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Mandatory areas, you have 2 more (maybe 6-7 more bosses). If you want to include optional areas, there are a few more after the Capital (3 I think, 4 if you include the area needed for the bad ending).

Top Bottom