• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

SCB3

Finally unlocked the Bell that allows me to buy the Smithing Stones finally, I have plenty of weapons to try out, however I still cannot use this Golden halberd at 30 str (only at 20, been levelling up all round like a bit of faith for a heal spell and some Magic)

I also just saw the full map.... This is gonna be a looooooong game, especially as I like to 100% souls games mostly

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I had my pack of summonable wolves and stupidly to test I got them all killed. I go to use them again and I can't - do I have to recharge them with an item at a grace site? If so how? Thanks.

Finally unlocked the Bell that allows me to buy the Smithing Stones finally, I have plenty of weapons to try out, however I still cannot use this Golden halberd at 30 str (only at 20, been levelling up all round like a bit of faith for a heal spell and some Magic)

I also just saw the full map.... This is gonna be a looooooong game, especially as I like to 100% souls games mostly
I can tell you for a fact - the Golden Halberd is incredible. It's probably going to carry me through the entire game.

I can tell you for a fact - the Golden Halberd is incredible. It's probably going to carry me through the entire game.
I'm 3 levels away from using the Golden Halberd but I'm really digging this plain ol' Halberd +8. Kinda want to stick with it cause she hasn't failed me yet.

I get sentimental with weapons in Souls games, they're on the quest with me and I'd feel guilty to cast them aside, lol.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I had my pack of summonable wolves and stupidly to test I got them all killed. I go to use them again and I can't - do I have to recharge them with an item at a grace site? If so how? Thanks.
Yea, just reset the area by resting at a bonfire. You're only allowed to use a summon once per encounter. Also, you know you're in a summonable area when you see a blue icon that looks like a grave or an arch on the left of your screen.

Nitty_Grimes

You can't use summons in some places. And you need enough magic points, (Blue bar).
Thanks I get that - I've got the little icon bottom left showing that I can summon in this area and have enough in the blue bar just cannot seem to use the wolves again.

I'm 3 levels away from using the Golden Halberd but I'm really digging this plain ol' Halberd +8. Kinda want to stick with it cause she hasn't failed me yet.

I get sentimental with weapons in Souls games, they're on the quest with me and I'd feel guilty to cast them aside, lol.
Dude, I was literally the same haha! I switched my +8 Halberd for the Golden Halberd lol, felt guilty about it but wanted to give it a shot. Then I wrecked my first enemy with it and my plain Halberd has not crossed my mind since.

Nitty_Grimes

Yea, just reset the area by resting at a bonfire. You're only allowed to use a summon once per encounter. Also, you know you're in a summonable area when you see a blue icon that looks like a grave or an arch on the left of your screen.
Ah, understand - thanks.

SCB3

Yea I've been seeing this, it makes me hesitant to use it as it feels cheap but we'll see, I've been upgrading it with the Somber Stones as I go as well as I have loads of them

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
People say the best console version is the PS4 version on PS5.

I have no issues with a base PS4 but if you have a ps5, maybe go the ps4/ps5 route for the locked framerate, etc.

PC is probably the best, although it varies.
PS4 version on PS5 is great.
XSX version only if you have a VRR TV.

I'm playing on PS4 Pro and can confirm after 40 hours I've had no bugs or performance issues worth noting. So, PS4 on PS5 is my suggestion.

Thanks, Guys. I got it on Steam to see how it runs. If it's crap, I'll get it on PS5. Good to have options.

Dude, I was literally the same haha! I switched my +8 Halberd for the Golden Halberd lol, felt guilty about it but wanted to give it a shot. Then I wrecked my first enemy with it and my plain Halberd has not crossed my mind since.
Are you doing a str/dex build?

I don't know too much about the leveling mechanics but I've been going 1 for 1 with each level. Str/Dex are both at 27 for me. Seems to be working well though, I can get through most areas if I'm smart.

Are you doing a str/dex build?

I don't know too much about the leveling mechanics but I've been going 1 for 1 with each level. Str/Dex are both at 27 for me. Seems to be working well though, I can get through most areas if I'm smart.
I was leveling str/dex equally until I settled on the Golden Halberd. Now I'm focusing on Strength, Endurance and dabbling in Faith for scaling and minor spellcasting. I like the cure rot/poison spell and the Beastial incantation charm scales with Strength for spells which is nice. I know I'll have to toss some more points into Vigor down the road but at the moment health isn't really a problem for me (I'm only at 20 Vigor).

Urban

Hey boys,

can i play it from the beginning to the end as a co-op game? My friend wants to play it together. Can we share quests/xp/souls etc pp?
Its his first Souls game and he wants to do it in Co-op.

NickFire

Hey boys,

can i play it from the beginning to the end as a co-op game? My friend wants to play it together. Can we share quests/xp/souls etc pp?
Its his first Souls game and he wants to do it in Co-op.
I don't think so. You can help each other with bosses for sure. Haven't seen anything suggesting the type of co-op you are looking for.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Are we talking about the halberd from the tree sentinel??

Because right now i'm using a simple halberd +3 and i kinda like the moveset, but the requirements for that thing are a bit steep so i was not sure about how good it is...

2 x Platinum trophies for Elden Ring gotten

Thank u mimic bro

J0ous3o.png

Last edited:
Are we talking about the halberd from the tree sentinel??

Because right now i'm using a simple halberd +3 and i kinda like the moveset, but the requirements for that thing are a bit steep so i was not sure about how good it is...
Man I was sticking with my halberd up through +8......decided to give the Golden Halberd a shot and the rest is history. Between the moveset, the reach and the damage it's ridiculous. I can hide behind my shield and poke people to death, or do the jump R2 if I'm feeling aggressive. It's great for 2h or 1h builds. You simply cannot go wrong with it. Plus, since you're putting a little into Faith you can cast a few spells if you want just for funsies. If you're loving the halberd already, it's not even a question.

Edit: yes the tree sentinel Halberd.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Man I was sticking with my halberd up through +8......decided to give the Golden Halberd a shot and the rest is history. Between the moveset, the reach and the damage it's ridiculous. I can hide behind my shield and poke people to death, or do the jump R2 if I'm feeling aggressive. It's great for 2h or 1h builds. You simply cannot go wrong with it. Plus, since you're putting a little into Faith you can cast a few spells if you want just for funsies. If you're loving the halberd already, it's not even a question.

Edit: yes the tree sentinel Halberd.

Thanks, i'm gonna think about it.

I still have hope to find some trick weapon from bloodborne before settling on anything.

Also already settling on a final weapon for the whole game when i'm at 20 hours of a 100 hours game feels a bit short sighted.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
took me three days but I finally killed that Margit motherfucker 👺

I refused to use summons/ level up first

guy really doesnt have a lot of punishable moves tbh......

This game is really really good and I love it but does anyone else have an issue with the enemy lock/targeting system? I don't know how many times I've been fighting one enemy only for it to lock on to some random background deer or just a farther away enemy. Any setting to fix that? I think I have an issue where I bump the right stick and it moves the target to the next enemy? It's been hard for me to not move the stick at all when fighting. So far I'm 30 hours in and it's my one big complaint with the game. Only other issue I can immediately think of is the inconsistent drop/fall damage. Sometimes you drop and just die and other times you can drop even further and take zero damage? Silly.

I think what they should do is add an option to ignore auto targeting of non enemies like the deer/any other non aggressive wildlife. That would at least half fix the issue.

Anyway other than that so far it's on par with Bloodborne for me (only other Souls like game I've played) which is to say it's one of my favorite games of all time. I'd give it a 9 so far only because of the mentioned issues. Otherwise it's an absolute masterpiece.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This game is really really good and I love it but does anyone else have an issue with the enemy lock/targeting system? I don't know how many times I've been fighting one enemy only for it to lock on to some random background deer or just a farther away enemy. Any setting to fix that? I think I have an issue where I bump the right stick and it moves the target to the next enemy? It's been hard for me to not move the stick at all when fighting. So far I'm 30 hours in and it's my one big complaint with the game. Only other issue I can immediately think of is the inconsistent drop/fall damage. Sometimes you drop and just die and other times you can drop even further and take zero damage? Silly.

I think what they should do is add an option to ignore auto targeting of non enemies like the deer/any other non aggressive wildlife. That would at least half fix the issue.

Anyway other than that so far it's on par with Bloodborne for me (only other Souls like game I've played) which is to say it's one of my favorite games of all time. I'd give it a 9 so far only because of the mentioned issues. Otherwise it's an absolute masterpiece.
Yeah lock on is kinda wonky in this one.

My biggest problem is that moving the lock from target to target doesn't work like half the times so i need to unlock and lock again and it is pretty annoying when fighting groups, last time i played with such an unresponsive lock was godfall.

DelireMan7

Basically my issues with the game
The lock system is really weird when there is several target. I use the right stick to switch targets but it somehow doesn't want to lock the enemy just in front of me. Always toggle between those in the background.

Fall damage is kind of lottery... It's a bit weird

Majmun

Just finished Radahn. During his second form I only ran away and summoned those npc warriors. When his HP went very low I rock slinged his ass.

Can this boss even be beaten without torrent or summons? That shit was crazy. I think I got him on my 10th try

Aesius

Rainbow stones are great for determining fall damage. If they land intact, you're safe to fall. If they shatter, the drop will kill you. Sometimes even a slight difference in elevation on the same platform can go from death to survivable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You guys complaining about the falling damage or the lock on system, and all I want to say is fuck mosquitoes.

Like damn, do they have to spin around you so fucking fast? Locking into any of those is almost vomit inducing.

You guys complaining about the falling damage or the lock on system, and all I want to say is fuck mosquitoes.

Like damn, do they have to spin around you so fucking fast? Locking into any of those is almost vomit inducing.
Yeah those things will throw off the targeting too they're really annoying. I think if you just stand still they come in closer and you can get them pretty easily that way.

mxbison

Fuck you Margit, I'll be back. (When I have nowhere else to go....)

Some dude told me to do the finger snap emote when I hear a wolf howl in Mistwood. I tried it a few times but nothing seems to happen?

Majmun

The fall damage is indeed strange in this game. Torrent gets blasted almost one mile into the air by those wind platforms and lands without a scratch. But jumpin off a 50ft cliff is insta death.

oh wtf so I posted yesterday asking the difference between bloody finger and recusant fingers

they still seem to do the exact same thing for me, only that using 3 bloody fingers can trigger what appears to be a significant quest

FYI

Last edited:
Top Bottom