• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

GymWolf

Gold Member
Godrick down on first try with the help of the jelly summon, yeah i think that kermit was harder overall.

Also found a turtle shield with a skill that basically make me untouchable against normal mobs, lmao (barricade or some shit)

Last edited:

jadefire66

Pretty shitty that to fight Radhan you have to do an obscure side quest. I started it without knowing and now did some research to understand how it goes. This is one thing I don’t like about this game.

Wait what? I thought you could just walk in and start the festival?

thuGG_pl

After 40 hours, my most hated enemies:
1. 'R' push button having two functions - lock on / turn camera around. You wanna lock some enemy? Let me just do a camera flip instead. Fuck this shit.
2. Bow sniper ghosts in Siofra River

SkylineRKR

Godrick down on first try with the help of the jelly summon, yeah i think that kermit was harder overall.

Also found a turtle shield with a skill that basically make me untouchable against normal mobs, lmao (barricade or some shit)

I found Godrick to be substantionally easier. I was exactly 10 levels higher there, 31 ish. Which should be the average. But he has much more room for error and gives you more time between his flurries in general. He's more fun to attempt with Greatswords as well. Though i'm aware of the jump attack strategies by now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Pretty shitty that to fight Radhan you have to do an obscure side quest. I started it without knowing and now did some research to understand how it goes. This is one thing I don’t like about this game.

You don't, you just walk right in. You can access more summons for his fight by doing various things in the game and once you beat him he opens up a zone, but everything related to him is optional.

Majukun

If i have to find something to criticize the game for, is AI.
i don't know what a souls game with smart enemies would look like and play, but it really takes you out of the world you are in when enemies don't even react to follen comrades.

what did you do on his second form?
his attacks cover the entire arena

FunkMiller

Well, hell, this game might be a masterpiece, but that
Starscourge Radhan
boss fight is some poorly done bullshit, and no mistake.

I get what they were trying to do, but the execution is terrible.
The idea of marshalling summons for a strong foe is a good one, but the fight just descends into a constant dull game of spot the summon point, while hoping the RNG doesn’t one-shot you from across the other side of the map.

I bounced off him about a dozen times before realising you just have to keep your distance, keep the summons coming, and keep your fingers crossed.

Skill entirely optional.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
i don't know what a souls game with smart enemies would look like and play, but it really takes you out of the world you are in when enemies don't even react to follen comrades.

He used that shit only 2 times, i just tanked the damage.

DelireMan7

This game is so massive. I am 65 hours in and still haven't met a second Demi god. I do a lot of exploration.

Is there any group password for Neogaf community ? I like this feature, we have one with friends and it's nice to see their messages and bloodstains highlighted.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
OK, I finally took out the leader of these little ruins near the start, and later a rock troll. Feeling confident now.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Yes, until then take off armour or swap it out for lighter pieces. Never fat roll.

One way to see how much more appeal this game has, and the amount of noobies, is the amount of fat rolling deaths I witness when watching ghosts die.

SkylineRKR

Run to him after the cutscene. His back is completely exposed and safe for a good time. His fire is really easy. Upward fire is easy to evade, and when he charges his forward flamethrower run behind him so never keep too much distance.

His only difficult move, sort of, are the wave projectiles.

Last edited:

Hestar69

4QPpOGV.jpg

Best spell so far Meteorite of Astel. Man if this doesn’t kill it, it won’t die.

Best no hud game I’ve ever experienced. Anyone else walking everywhere or is everyone else just fast traveling ?

Edited to emphasize…. EVER.
Thats a dope outfit,sword and spell..whered you get all that if you don't mind me asking?..my spells are AWFUL..I did just level up to 60 int to get that comet spell because I got tired of using the same 3 spells

SkylineRKR

My God, this is some peak From BS. Here I thought Anor Londo archers was some serious troll.

I absolutely fucking loathed that place. Even if you engage, they somehow spawn in your back and gank you anyway. Its best to just make a beeline for all the braziers you see, make suicide runs if needed. The bosses there are a pushover though. Glad i'm done with that place, afaik.

Now that i'm past the honeymoon phase I can confidently say I hope from drops the open world for the next game

There was some wonder with the optional content at the start but it's clear it's just padding. They aren't interesting. Lots of copy paste stuff. Not even any real lore to explore in most of these catacombs/dungeons

Last edited:

T-Barbs

After obsessing too hard for a week+ I took a few days away but I'm currently stuck trying to beat Black Blade Kindred and I'm not proceeding elsewhere until it's done!
This is my favorite farming location at the moment. But i just focus on backstab the small minions, because the BBK is still to strong for me. Try maybe to stay inside the cathedral and long range attacks him.

Last edited:

Boneless

killed Elemer of the Briar after 30 minutes of attempts and deleted the fuck out of the game. Done.
the guy did that stationary spiral thrust move and i swear for god: i rolled off it and then it just SKIP the GFX to where i landed to kill me. It was in point a, then teleported to point b just to aimbot me. I was laughing at how fucked up is the intended design for this to happen. slow ass character, 1-2 hit kills, terrible camera, fucked up hit detection, surprise ganking... not enough anymore. Release the input reading to give A.I. frame time counter moves against human beings and the aimbot to shot down these suckers who press a button when i don't want then to.

Guess im not ready to submit to the torture. Can't stand cheaters.

Have you tried?
gitting gut

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

The enemies don’t react if you stealth get hug them from behind. I tested this a few times. You can keep walking into them, touching them and keep touching them from behind and they simply don’t react. Previous games weren’t this lenient at all.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now that i'm past the honeymoon phase I can confidently say I hope from drops the open world for the next game

There was some wonder with the optional content at the start but it's clear it's just padding. They aren't interesting. Lots of copy paste stuff. Not even any real lore to explore in most of these catacombs/dungeons
Yeah I kinda agree. That's why I avoided all caves and graves after doing like 10 of them.
Then there are similar sorcerer towers and divine towers. Stuff to repeat periodically.

It's all still quite unique as far as open world go. There is no cookie cutter stuff here.
But I do plan to replay other souls games now after finishing this to see if it's not my mind

Cyberpunkd

Lore not really, but it’s pure Dark Souls - go and whack bosses, now without all the useless thrash in-between.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lore not really, but it’s pure Dark Souls - go and whack bosses, now without all the useless thrash in-between.
There is nothing Dark Souls about beating bosses.
Dark Souls is about exploring environment, opening shortcuts and making your way to the other side of the level through the wall of tough enemies. And collecting new gear on every corner

Last edited:

That's what i'm planning to do now. Done with the open world and just going to focus on the legacy dungeons now.

Can't say even the legacy dungeons have been up to snuff either though. Stormveil has been the highlight so far. Raya and Redmane castle were dissapointing in comparison. We'll see with the rest though

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Any word on further console patches? Or has From just collected its 10/10s and gone home?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah I kinda agree. That's why I avoided all caves and graves after doing like 10 of them.
Then there are similar sorcerer towers and divine towers. Stuff to repeat periodically.

It's all still quite unique as far as open world go. There is no cookie cutter stuff here.
But I do plan to replay other souls games now after finishing this to see if it's not my mind

Keep going, you might change your mind.

There's a bit more variety than you'd think in terms of how they are laid out, puzzles to be solved and number of bosses to be faced within. I also think especially once you get past the midway point and figuring out where to go next isn't as obvious as it was next, you start to appreciate the change of pace that doing one of these small dungeons offers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Keep going, you might change your mind.

There's a bit more variety than you'd think in terms of how they are laid out, puzzles to be solved and number of bosses to be faced within. I also think especially once you get past the midway point and figuring out where to go next isn't as obvious as it was next, you start to appreciate the change of pace that doing one of these small dungeons offers.
I finished the game.
Might return to some dungeons now.
But nothing comes close to reagular legacy souls dungeon. Stormveil and capital were excellent.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I can't think of a single open world game with more interesting open world content, honestly. I actually want to go into every catacomb/cave I see regardless of not needing the rewards inside just because each one feels slightly different enough from the last that it keeps it interesting.

I can't think of a single open world game with more interesting open world content, honestly. I actually want to go into every catacomb/cave I see regardless of not needing the rewards inside just because each one feels slightly different enough from the last that it keeps it interesting.

I thought so at first. Now that i've reached Alteus Plateu i've lost any interest to repeat the same content again. It's just a better implementation of Bloodbornes boring chalice dungeons but that's about it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm waiting for DSIII Deluxe to go on sale so I can dive in after ER.

DS3 is so low effort in comparison. Its enjoyable in the moment, but looking back it soured me on FROM's stuff quite badly because it felt so much like a "greatest hits" package. DS2 had its faults but it at least tried to build on what had gone before, whereas 3 just rehashes it.

Cyberpunkd

DS3 is so low effort in comparison. Its enjoyable in the moment, but looking back it soured me on FROM's stuff quite badly because it felt so much like a "greatest hits" package. DS2 had its faults but it at least tried to build on what had gone before, whereas 3 just rehashes it.
But DS2 is an ugly poo by comparison. Maybe I should get DS1 Remastered then?

Swift_Star

Banned
But DS2 is an ugly poo by comparison. Maybe I should get DS1 Remastered then?
Nah. Take DS3.
2 is a really bad game, with bad design decisions, bloated points distribution, terrible hitboxes, enemy design, dungeon, placement, you name it.
1 has an AMAZING first half but the second half is really bad and unfinished, plus the game is super slow and methodic compared to ER.
3 is the most complete feature and highest budget game, with the best gameplay of the 3.
Additionaly, you can always play Bloodborne.

Killed the Agheed Dragon last night, that was fun and exhilarating. Also finished up the quest at Morne Castle, I beat the boss the other day but then remembered that I never found that girls dad to deliver the letter. Nothing much came from it but maybe that guy will be available to be summoned later on?

Such a fun game, tried to take on the Crucible Knight but was getting wrecked. Doing good damage though, just gotta get my parry timing down.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
When you're just starting out, where men still reside, the dogs are tamed wolves and hounds. As the player travels farther away the wolves and hounds begin eating men. Farther out, they become larger and hunt the player. Finally, they can be seen as demonic versions of themselves feasting on the carrion of their old masters, endlessly, and yet still appearing to be withering away.

Japanese RPG writers are fucking bleak.

GermanZepp

Nah. Take DS3.
2 is a really bad game, with bad design decisions, bloated points distribution, terrible hitboxes, enemy design, dungeon, placement, you name it.
1 has an AMAZING first half but the second half is really bad and unfinished, plus the game is super slow and methodic compared to ER.
3 is the most complete feature and highest budget game, with the best gameplay of the 3.
Additionaly, you can always play Bloodborne.
You use the word bad too loosely.

Orbital2060

Bandit SL 50

ebacd46b-aea8-4823-816lkz3.png

Keen affinity on the katana since my dex > arcane, and not sure if the higher rate of blood loss application out damages the higher dex damage from keen. The bloody slash is amazing, incredible damage plus it works as a frontal aoe, like a cone spreading out with the movement of the blade.

Bought the Blue Crest Heater shield, I love it. Lightweight, has Parry although Ive put a NoSkill in it so I have access to the special on LT. And 100 % melee negation, thats all I need.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
You use the word bad too loosely.
It's my opinion. The second half of DS1 has terrible areas like the Crystal Cave and the final dungeon to the boss. Those are hi-de-ous. And I think miyazaki agrees and he hasnt attempted to do it again. Bottomless pits, narrow pathways and invisible pathways aren't fun.
Badly placement of enemies and ganking groups aren't fun.
Enemies that can hit you even if their animation doesn't connect to you isn't fun.

Top Bottom