• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
oh wtf so I posted yesterday asking the difference between bloody finger and recusant fingers

they still seem to do the exact same thing for me, only that using 3 bloody fingers can trigger what appears to be a significant quest

FYI
Is that quest from the dude you met right after arriving at Limgrave? Someone with a mask?

I'm avoiding multiplayer so far, but wouldn't like to miss anything meaningfull because of that.

hollams

Gold Member
Rainbow stones are great for determining fall damage. If they land intact, you're safe to fall. If they shatter, the drop will kill you. Sometimes even a slight difference in elevation on the same platform can go from death to survivable.
It's the little hints like this that make the game special. I don't think I've ever used a rainbow stone.

How many items are people crafting and then actually using. I find that I'm mostly creating arrows, bolts, cotton, and the fire pots which I use frequently. It is irritating when I equip a firepot, use it, then forget to change the item back to the healing flask and when I need to heal I throw another fire bomb. I've crafted some damage negation potions. but I always forget to use them.

ssringo

Gold Member
The fall damage is indeed strange in this game. Torrent gets blasted almost one mile into the air by those wind platforms and lands without a scratch. But jumpin off a 50ft cliff is insta death.
If you target the wind launcher platform thing you can jump down safely from high up. You know you're okay when the wind swirls around Torrent while falling.

Last edited:
It's the little hints like this that make the game special. I don't think I've ever used a rainbow stone.

How many items are people crafting and then actually using. I find that I'm mostly creating arrows, bolts, cotton, and the fire pots which I use frequently. It is irritating when I equip a firepot, use it, then forget to change the item back to the healing flask and when I need to heal I throw another fire bomb. I've crafted some damage negation potions. but I always forget to use them.
I craft various arrows and blood grease for my blade pretty often

I also craft the gold and silver chicken feet for item discovery and rune boosting.

outside of that, it's situational. I'll craft stuff to deal with rot, poison, etc.

Ar¢tos

I get the impression that this game is a sequel to Dks3 and a prequel to Bloodborne, it kinda links them.
The fingers and the dead demi gods have that alien/nightmare vibe and the Age of Stars ending
is a shift from the Sun (a "souls" symbol) to the moon, that was a big symbol in Bloodborne.
Also, like Bloodborne, we have Arcane stat now and Patches is present linking all the games.

Cyberpunkd

I craft various arrows and blood grease for my blade pretty often

I also craft the gold and silver chicken feet for item discovery and rune boosting.

outside of that, it's situational. I'll craft stuff to deal with rot, poison, etc.
There should be a trophy for crafting 1 item, im sure there are a lot of people that missed the crafting kit with the first vendor.
Same as people do not understand you need cracked pots to make bombs and they are reusable after.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fuck you Margit, I'll be back. (When I have nowhere else to go....)

Some dude told me to do the finger snap emote when I hear a wolf howl in Mistwood. I tried it a few times but nothing seems to happen?
You need to collect 6 stones around the map before the snap thing.

Last edited:
There should be a trophy for crafting 1 item, im sure there are a lot of people that missed the crafting kit with the first vendor.
Same as people do not understand you need cracked pots to make bombs and they are reusable after.
I found perfume bottles too, which I'm guessing are extremely strong versions of cracked pots or something, but haven't found any recipes.

and ritual pots, not sure what that's for.

I do generally go out of my way to purchase every crafting book I can from NPCs and am super happy when I find them in the wild. some of the crafting stuff is super useful.

Cyberpunkd

Also what’s at the very top of super detour around the elevator (I assume it’s an elevator) in the north of Liurnia? I got almost owned by catapults so I went down the river, then navigated all the way up against the hillside. Was 30 minutes of super fun adventure but now I’m in front of HUGE mist.

Feel free to spoiler tag if you wish so.

jadefire66

Just finished the game! Got all endings. Used save backup to see them all.

I haven't died to any boss from the start of Crumbling Farum Azula till the end :messenger_weary: Had tons of health like 2100+, heaviest armor I could find (Veteran set) and a talisman that gives bonus physical protection. Getting one-shotted by bosses seems like a lifetime ago. Also had TONS of DPS - dual wielding Hand of Malenia & Nagakiba upgraded to the max, 90+ DEX, using Exalted Flesh for like +130 bonus damage and the Mimic Tear on top of that.

I would rate it like 8/10, maybe top 3 of the series. DS1 and BB are better imo. Not sure if I liked it more than DeS, they're on par I guess.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Also what’s at the very top of super detour around the elevator (I assume it’s an elevator) in the north of Liurnia? I got almost owned by catapults so I went down the river, then navigated all the way up against the hillside. Was 30 minutes of super fun adventure but now I’m in front of HUGE mist.

Feel free to spoiler tag if you wish so.
The detour was some kind of ruins on the hill side? If so, there's a cute magma drake waiting for you.

He's big, has a big sword and like to puke magma all over the place.

Pejo

Fuck, I’m level 42, hope that’s enough.
If you can survive a hit you're good but good luck targeting for the 2nd phase.. Depending on your quest progress, you could have up to 2 NPC helpers for summon outside the gate with gold signs. You'll know they're NPCs if you haven't used the multiplayer item but still see the signs.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Thats a dope outfit,sword and spell..whered you get all that if you don't mind me asking?..my spells are AWFUL..I did just level up to 60 int to get that comet spell because I got tired of using the same 3 spells
The sword was a part of a LOOOOOOONG quest line that you get at Renna’s rise. It takes you all over the place. The outfit I got at the ….. spoiler I’ll dm you

Aesius

I have to say...riding Torrent as far as I could go in the early hours of this game was easily a top 10 gaming experience for me. I was way underleveled and the jaunt through the map into areas that were far beyond my current level was awe-inspiring at times, exhilarating, and often terrifying. I caught glimpses of things that I still haven't been back to check out in 50 hours of playtime.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Blood loss is completely broken for PvP. Far too many people abusing it right now.

Also the Icerind Axe is completely broken as well. Especially its Ash of War/skill. Can get is super early in the game on top of that. Frost in general is different from the Souls games and is very underrated currently.

Invading right now almost always leads to a trap/setup due to how it works now. Being summoned as a blue is fun though.

Last edited:
Invading right now almost always leads to a trap/setup due to how it's setup now. Being summoned as a blue is fun though.
my experience as well. not sure what is going on, but 95% of the time I invade, I run into a group of players who were literally waiting for me, buffing themselves as I appear

turns into a 3vs1

I've managed to win a few times, but more often than not I die because I mean it's literally 3 against me.

I think I'm going to start using the taunters tongue to lure people into my game and PVP that way

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think I'm going to start using the taunters tongue to lure people into my game and PVP that way
This is the best way. I use it to get some 1v1 on invaders and actually managed to get one arena going for a bit. Usually as you are fighting, more players join in and it gets messy haha.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Blood loss is completely broken for PvP. Far too many people abusing it right now.

Also the Icerind Axe is completely broken as well. Especially its Ash of War/skill. Can get is super early in the game on top of that. Frost in general is different from the Souls games and is very underrated currently.

Invading right now almost always leads to a trap/setup due to how it works now. Being summoned as a blue is fun though.
WVV1Fc3.jpg
ZNK5G95.jpg

Frostbite is really really good.

This is the best way. I use it to get some 1v1 on invaders and actually managed to get one arena going for a bit. Usually as you are fighting, more players join in and it gets messy haha.
I did invade a game last night and it was 3vs1...except the other 2 sat down and watched as I fought the first guy

I beat the first person, then the 2nd person dueled me. lost to him, but there was some honor with everything and it was pretty awesome to see.

I still don't know how they have 3 people chilling waiting for me. are these co-op games that I'm invading? what item are they using that lets them have 3 guys just chilling, waiting to get invaded

R6Rider

Gold Member
I did invade a game last night and it was 3vs1...except the other 2 sat down and watched as I fought the first guy

I beat the first person, then the 2nd person dueled me. lost to him, but there was some honor with everything and it was pretty awesome to see.

I still don't know how they have 3 people chilling waiting for me. are these co-op games that I'm invading? what item are they using that lets them have 3 guys just chilling, waiting to get invaded
They're just playing in co-op and then probably waiting around specific areas or simply using the tongue. You can basically only invade hosts that are doing co-op unless they use the tongue which then just starts summoning invaders and allies to them.

You can also put your sign down and players can choose to summon you that way too. That's generally what's used for arenas.

Last edited:
They're just playing in co-op and then probably waiting around specific areas or simply using the tongue. You can basically only invade hosts that are doing co-op unless they use the tongue which then just starts summoning invaders and allies to them.

You can also put your sign down and players can choose to summon you that way too. That's generally what's used for arenas.
yeah I put down my sign sometimes too, and that's fun. I was using the recusant and bloody finger though to see if they offer specific rewards.

using the bloody fingers triggered a quest line. still haven't figured if using the recusant finger offers any sort of unique reward or starts a quest line.

Last edited:

Cracklox

Radahns no joke. After 5 or 6 attempts I was getting a little frustrated. Then I noticed

He's riding a mini horse...

Made my day it did. Still kicked my ass for another half hour or so, but a good laugh is good for stress levels, so it wasn't so bad all of a sudden

Saber

Radahns no joke. After 5 or 6 attempts I was getting a little frustrated. Then I noticed

He's riding a mini horse...

Made my day it did. Still kicked my ass for another half hour or so, but a good laugh is good for stress levels, so it wasn't so bad all of a sudden

Beat him today...only after gaining 10 levels and dozens of tries. Some of his attacks still one shots me lol
Lmao, he didn't make it easier spamming those fastass ranged fury attacks.

Fuck you Margit, I'll be back. (When I have nowhere else to go....)

Some dude told me to do the finger snap emote when I hear a wolf howl in Mistwood. I tried it a few times but nothing seems to happen?
You need to collect 6 stones around the map before the snap thing.
I'm not sure what the stone thing is, maybe I did that and forgot about it.

The snap though, you want to do it in Mistwood at some ruins where a giant grizzly wolf (lol) is sleeping. A dude is standing on top of the ruins peak and will come down.

He'll send you on a quest to kill a mini-boss and you can actually summon the guy into the fight. Makes it super easy. I hope to see that character again in the game, he's really cool looking.

Hinedorf

Banned
This is my favorite farming location at the moment. But i just focus on backstab the small minions, because the BBK is still to strong for me. Try maybe to stay inside the cathedral and long range attacks him.
I'm now a few days into fighting BBK and literally doing nothing else.....I've tried different weapons. I'm at the point I have this bastard memorized on every move and I can chip him down to around 25% but cannot complete the task.

I'm sure by leveling standards I'm OP for BBK or most anything at this point so I refuse to let anything stop me from finishing him before I proceed. I'm expecting to finally bring him down tonight and then begin proceeding back to Altus Plateau. Admittedly I'm enjoying every minute of it as I accept every failure on myself and nothing else. If I only ever do it once I will bring him down!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I'm not sure what the stone thing is, maybe I did that and forgot about it.

The snap though, you want to do it in Mistwood at some ruins where a giant grizzly wolf (lol) is sleeping. A dude is standing on top of the ruins peak and will come down.

He'll send you on a quest to kill a mini-boss and you can actually summon the guy into the fight. Makes it super easy. I hope to see that character again in the game, he's really cool looking.
I also don't know what he's on about with the stones ... I didn't find six of anything and the snap worked right away.

GymWolf GymWolf can you clarify?

Ogbert

Gold Member
Got to be honest, it's starting to drag now.

Everything is just too random and too obtuse. I've spent hours just running around in circles, hugging cliffs trying to find legacy dungeons. After about twenty hours, the 'magic' of discovery is just replaced with frustration.

As soon as the standard DS experience kicks in, it's absolutely incredible. The dungeons and bosses are fantastic.

I dunno. It's obviously an outstanding achievement. But it's too much for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This game sure is obtuse huh! I mean, that's to be expected, but not even giving the slightest hint how to get one of the most crucial items in the game?! I was wondering how the fuck to actually use the summons, so I did a quick google and found out how to get the bell. But did I miss something, or are you just supposed to magically figure this out with zero hints or randomly come across it?

Aesius

Everything is just too random and too obtuse. I've spent hours just running around in circles, hugging cliffs trying to find legacy dungeons. After about twenty hours, the 'magic' of discovery is just replaced with frustration.

As soon as the standard DS experience kicks in, it's absolutely incredible. The dungeons and bosses are fantastic.

You don't have to wander around aimlessly. You can just follow the main quest line. The points of grace point you in the right direction.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
This game sure is obtuse huh! I mean, that's to be expected, but not even giving the slightest hint how to get one of the most crucial items in the game?! I was wondering how the fuck to actually use the summons, so I did a quick google and found out how to get the bell. But did I miss something, or are you just supposed to magically figure this out with zero hints or randomly come across it?
Isn't it just a matter of time until you get the bell?

Not that crucial either. I don't really like the summoning mechanic so I've only used it a few times for fun. I guess some later bosses require you to use it though so idk.

Anyway I thought the bell was given to you at a certain point regardless.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
There's an easily missed NPC early on that gives you it or you can buy it from the merchant at the Roundtable.
Wow didn't know that was missable. At least you can buy it so it's not like you just have to do without if you get sidetracked and miss that NPC.

Hinedorf

Banned

Curious are you looking to find everything or just trying to progress with primary game focus? I'm completely mired in trying to find every nook and cranny before moving on and it is absolutely tedious in the ability to miss something so easily. This game may take me a couple months of dedicated adventuring but I'm still enjoying the experience enough to avoid playing anything else.

Top Bottom