• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

T-Barbs

I'm now a few days into fighting BBK and literally doing nothing else.....I've tried different weapons. I'm at the point I have this bastard memorized on every move and I can chip him down to around 25% but cannot complete the task.

I'm sure by leveling standards I'm OP for BBK or most anything at this point so I refuse to let anything stop me from finishing him before I proceed. I'm expecting to finally bring him down tonight and then begin proceeding back to Altus Plateau. Admittedly I'm enjoying every minute of it as I accept every failure on myself and nothing else. If I only ever do it once I will bring him down!
I understand your approach to the game and i respect your decision. To be honest, me too when i started i have tried to give an order to the way i explore, forcing myself to complete the challanges before i proceed any further.

Few hours later, seeing how the game is structured and looking at the amount of routes and choices you can take, i realized that often, is better to reconsider and come back later.

When you struggle, is not just a matter of the level you have not reached (brute force was always an option in any case) but very likely, equipment or magic you still miss.

And against my initial plan, i realized that also without spoil myself too much with a chaotic exploration,, a non linear approach is required in this game.

Good luck btw!

Freeman76

You're about halfway. Probably a little less actually. You are taking more time to do stuff than the average player, but don't let that stop you. Keep enjoying the hell out of it!

Yeah this is a once in 5 years experience I want ti savour every minute. Normally with their other games i'm not as meticulous because I know it will take 3+ NG cycles to get everything, but this is probably different, not sure if it even has NG+ as I'm playing blind as much as poss.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm not sure what the stone thing is, maybe I did that and forgot about it.

The snap though, you want to do it in Mistwood at some ruins where a giant grizzly wolf (lol) is sleeping. A dude is standing on top of the ruins peak and will come down.

He'll send you on a quest to kill a mini-boss and you can actually summon the guy into the fight. Makes it super easy. I hope to see that character again in the game, he's really cool looking.

I also don't know what he's on about with the stones ... I didn't find six of anything and the snap worked right away.

GymWolf GymWolf can you clarify?
If you do the snap after finding the 6 stones, half of the enemies on the map disappear.

whiskeyjack-YT

Neo Member

Dyingses part deux! (does that mean two?) (optimized for mobile phones)

Having an absolute blast. Managed to sell the game for more than few of my friends because this is simply much, much more accessible than BB or DS. Find something too hard? Take a 180 and do something else!

Do you know what is the mark of a good game? When you can't stop thinking about it when you're NOT playing :D

Work is such a pain right now.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWR After many hours Black Blade Kindred is defeated!!!!!
UewnSAY.jpg

I'm becoming more and more sure this is going to be on the top of my all time favorite games list. I haven't been this sucked into a game this badly since I was a kid. I am taking my sweet time and I'm going to do absolutely everything. I think I can see my interest in the game carrying through at least one maybe two runs through. At least one NG+ and then maybe a wretch run. It's the kind of thing I'm really keen to see how optimised and fast I can get up to speed and level when I know what and where everything is to get strong fast enough to really move through the game quickly.

Boy I love this game.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Just got the ruin greatsword to +10 with 50 strength. Seems like greatswords are underwhelming compared to other strength weapons. Could be just the weapon so I'll have to test.

Noob to the genre, but I like greatswords because their weak attacks are fast and stagger lots of tough-skinned trash mobs. Makes farming them so much faster and easier.

84 pages in huh....well I only bought the game a couple days ago but I beat Margit! Looks like I still have what it takes after all these years. Level 22 Samurai with the starter Uchigatana +2, I gather I was a bit underleveled for this but Rogier can tank a surprising amount of damage and then after he died I summoned the wolves to keep him busy as long as possible. Got a lucky crit strike at the end to chunk off most of his last bit of health and finished off the sliver while he was recovering from the flying hammer smash.

Phew....I ended up going at him for hours today but I got him down finally. Now I wanna go back with my horse and get revenge on Tree Sentinel. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:

april6e

A certain late game boss is making me question my life up to this point. Even cheese isn't working because the boss can deal 85% of my 45 vigor+defense charm healthbar getting touched by almost anything. If I don't have full health, I die to simple
stabs
. Mimic is
just feeding the boss free health.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Finally used a summon for the first time on a boss that was giving me trouble. Made it far, far easier. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess this is one way to offer new players (like me) an easier go of things.

Last edited:
Jesus i played this zone yesterday and i already forgot how to reach it.

It has to be one between the blue portal you find in limgrave or the secret elevator that goes down for like a minute (i think it is this one).

In this zone you have like these manlets soldiers that are not hard to beat (i did it with a +1 weapon after like 10 hours of gameplay) and gave you like 1000 souls each.

Sorry if i'm literally the worse at explaining things but between me playing the game with italians subs so all names are different and my shit memory for names and places this is the result.

Not sure how people remember every fucking detail of their adventures in such a gigantic game...

The portal is at limgrave east. D asks you to go there to give deathroot to a giant/troll. Theres a bonfire as you open the door. Its my fav grinding spot. Not even to level up, just getting some runes to buy shit and to test out new weapons.

SkylineRKR

The portal is at limgrave east. D asks you to go there to give deathroot to a giant/troll. Theres a bonfire as you open the door. Its my fav grinding spot. Not even to level up, just getting some runes to buy shit and to test out new weapons.

There is a single dwarf next to the greatbridge bonfire. You can farm it for 1000+ a pop. Its good for buying materials or spells.

Found out I have an art of war that lets shield parry/ block those annoying magic missiles in Raya Lucia. So much more easier now fighting that boss before the main boss.
Oh and i put my finger slings on the right. Shield block left, casting on the right, get in close and switch to melee.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So i founded the walking temple to duplicate boss souls, is the purpose to have one souls for the boss weapons (in case of godrick his axe and dragon arm) and one soul for the buff?

Also, fuck that magma dragon in the gael tunnel, i hate bosses that leaves shit on the ground.

And fuck that...shepeless monstruos thing in the bottom of godrick castle, i can't even understand from where his attack comes ffs, and the lock on\camera turn into shit against big enemies...

Needlecrash

I fought a lot on the horse previous that fight and i had a long range halberd, maybe you just need to get a grip on horse combat yet.

The added mobility is a huge plus, being less precise is the trade off.
Actually, it was easier without the horse. I killed 2 Deathbirds yesterday.

RafterXL

So i founded the walking temple to duplicate boss souls, is the purpose to have one souls for the boss weapons (in case of godrick his axe and dragon arm) and one soul for the buff?
No, it's so you can get both weapons. Instead of having to play through twice to get the Axe and Dragon arm you can duplicate the soul and get both. You'll probably want to wait and see each bosses items first, though, since there aren't enough mausoleums to duplicate them all.

Cyberpunkd

So I fought

Magma dragon

First try, the NPC tanking was a huge help but the boss was so easy. Made it to the plateau, I don't think I'm supposed to be here so I will probably explore Liurnia a bit more (21hrs total playtime), at least I got 12 Faith to wield Golden Halberd, let's see how it goes...

GymWolf

Gold Member
No, it's so you can get both weapons. Instead of having to play through twice to get the Axe and Dragon arm you can duplicate the soul and get both. You'll probably want to wait and see each bosses items first, though, since there aren't enough mausoleums to duplicate them all.
Lol i thought that one souls was enough to get both weapons.

Also too late, i used the chance to duplicate godrick souls already :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

You get a soul and a rune.

The soul you can transform into a weapon, and duplicate to get both weapons. Even after you've transformed it, you can still duplicate it.

The rune you can insert into a divine tower, and then equip it on yourself, and activate it with Rune Arcs that last until death. People probably forget it, but you get a hefty +5 boost on all stats. It helped me beating a boss that was slightly too difficult otherwise.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Summons are a gamechanger, no question about that.

Rennala’s second phase is a bitch, but the Knights of Raya Lucaria kept her busy and together with my lightning-buffed Uchigatana we kept her basically stunlocked till the end :messenger_sunglasses:
The little puppy before her was also very annoying and hit like a truck, but again, a little help kept him distracted long enough to make a difference.

The real problem I have with the the game is that basically anything that isn’t the most common mob of the area will kill me in three hits tops. And needing to upgrade your weapons to around +8 to stand a chance to reach and beat the second Lord is pretty steep compared to the Souls games.

Shields also feel completely broken compared to the past. If the enemy isn’t attacking front and center you’ll get hit almost every time

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is the best/most fun way to play this game, for people who have come far or already finished it? I started out as the Samurai, going mainly into Dex, but so far I feel very outmatched against anything but a few easy enemies. Bosses are hopeless (mini bosses in caves etc have been fine though), and I have nothing for crowd control. Do you HAVE TO use magic for this game to really work?

Also haven't really found any weapons worth a damn, still using the Uchigatana.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You get a soul and a rune.

The soul you can transform into a weapon, and duplicate to get both weapons. Even after you've transformed it, you can still duplicate it.

The rune you can insert into a divine tower, and then equip it on yourself, and activate it with Rune Arcs that last until death. People probably forget it, but you get a hefty +5 boost on all stats. It helped me beating a boss that was slightly too difficult otherwise.
I take a weapon over some timed buff every day of the week, thanks for the info.

Really enjoying my time with this game. The sense of adventure is amazing, I can't stop thinking of continuing my journey. Currently 42 hours in, clearing Liurnia as a vagabond dual wielding great swords. The damage with jump attacks is insane.
I can't help but wonder what an amazing feat it was to produce a game of this scale, with all it's details, mechanics and interconnectedness. It's like the 'dark souls' of planning & management. You can tell they really aimed for perfection.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What is the best/most fun way to play this game, for people who have come far or already finished it? I started out as the Samurai, going mainly into Dex, but so far I feel very outmatched against anything but a few easy enemies. Bosses are hopeless (mini bosses in caves etc have been fine though), and I have nothing for crowd control. Do you HAVE TO use magic for this game to really work?

Also haven't really found any weapons worth a damn, still using the Uchigatana.

Totally player dependent. Some people will use the most powerful magic and summons they can find, others will challenge themselves to do everything naked with a big club. It's up to you.

A lot of this game however is built around the ashes of war summons, if you're finding yourself struggling with bosses you should start utilizing those. They can at the very least provide a distraction to the boss while you whack away. But you can totally beat the whole game with no summons and the Uchigatana.

What do your stats look like?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Totally player dependent. Some people will use the most powerful magic and summons they can find, others will challenge themselves to do everything naked with a big club. It's up to you.

A lot of this game however is built around the ashes of war summons, if you're finding yourself struggling with bosses you should start utilizing those. They can at the very least provide a distraction to the boss while you whack away. But you can totally beat the whole game with no summons and the Uchigatana.

Yeah, men are always glad to take on that type of challenge.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So I finally finished my first playthough.

Got all the main lord souls and buffed them.

Melania is a cunt of a fight mostly because the game was outright ignoring my dodge input 75% of the time and I would have to rely on the shield backup.

Got the ending where
I literally turned into Sauron and bonfire wifu wants to hunt me down

DLC for this should be interesting.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve been constantly running away from what I thought was a real person invading my game - thinking, why am I being invaded in the same place all the time (near Patches)? I thought, balls to it, I’m going to stand and fight, then another character invaded, helping me to defeat the other. It then dawned on me that these were NPC’s invading my game 😂

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I have been trying to use those, and they're fine for groups of regular enemies, but for bosses they seem absolutely worthless. Sure, they do provide some momentary distraction, but they do nothing of use.

I'm at like 18 dex or something (can't check right now), with a few points into vitality and endurance. So maybe I'm just not ready to take on the first real boss yet (I can't even beat the big horse dude). Am I supposed to just grind? I feel like in the previous games you kinda naturally reached the levels you needed just by making your way to each boss, and there was generally a "correct" order to do things. Because this game is so much more open it feels more difficult to know when I'm actually ready for something.

I did run past the castle completely via the side path, but that kind of feels "wrong", because the game is telling me to go to the castle, so I assume I do need to complete it (don't know why though).

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I’ve been constantly running away from what I thought was a real person invading my game - thinking, why am I being invaded in the same place all the time (near Patches)? I thought, balls to it, I’m going to stand and fight, then another character invaded, helping me to defeat the other. It then dawned on me that these were NPC’s invading my game 😂

Yeah, you can only be invaded in ER if you're already in a co-op session. Kinda sucks honestly, being invaded at random times was always a big part of the experience and they ripped it out for us who don't co-op.

AV

I have been trying to use those, and they're fine for groups of regular enemies, but for bosses they seem absolutely worthless. Sure, they do provide some momentary distraction, but they do nothing of use.

I'm at like 18 dex or something (can't check right now), with a few points into vitality and endurance. So maybe I'm just not ready to take on the first real boss yet. Am I supposed to just grind?

I did run past the castle completely via the side path, but that kind of feels "wrong", because the game is telling me to go to the castle, so I assume I do need to complete it (don't know why though).

Focus on VIT/END. They're the key stats. END boosts your stamina bar (which you'll need a lot of as the game progresses) and lets you equip more armour.

Don't pump DEX, you will primarily upgrade your weapon damage through smithing stones. You can find a bunch in any mines you find. DEX is mostly there to set a requirement for weapons.

You don't need to grind at all but you should definitely just explore Limgrave. Anywhere you haven't been yet, there will be something to do and it all helps you level up. Definitely don't skip past the castle to the second big area yet. Do Limgrave and attempts on the first castle boss.

Some of the best things to go find are the flask upgrades, seeds and tears, which increase the amount healed by your flask and the amount of times you can use it. You generally find tears in churches and seeds under golden trees.

The game is honestly at its most difficult during those initial hours where you're weak, IMO. Once you get a few upgrades under your belt everything starts to come together more. Go get stronger, don't be afraid to use summons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Focus on VIT/END. They're the key stats. END boosts your stamina bar (which you'll need a lot of as the game progresses) and lets you equip more armour.

Don't pump DEX, you will primarily upgrade your weapon damage through smithing stones. You can find a bunch in any mines you find. DEX is mostly there to set a requirement for weapons.

You don't need to grind at all but you should definitely just explore Limgrave. Anywhere you haven't been yet, there will be something to do and it all helps you level up. Definitely don't skip past the castle to the second big area yet. Do Limgrave and attempts on the first castle boss.

Some of the best things to go find are the flask upgrades, seeds and tears, which increase the amount healed by your flask and the amount of times you can use it. You generally find tears in churches and seeds under golden trees.

The game is honestly at its most difficult during those initial hours where you're weak, IMO. Once you get a few upgrades under your belt everything starts to come together more. Go get stronger, don't be afraid to use summons.

Yeah, I would say that more accurately I'm putting about the same levels into DEX/VIT/END. That's how I usually play these games, and it usually works out. But yeah, maybe I need to put more into those.

Lux R7

finished my first run yesterday, 60+ hours and i'm sure i missed some stuff. This is a masterpiece of incredible proportions.

Trying to kill Radahn as a melee build is making me want to go insane. Ill bet hes killed me 150 times.

Im going to have to completely respec just to kill this motherfucker.
Get a bow and pump a gazillion arrows into him from a safe distance.
The map you find him in has tons of summoning spots to call in npcs that distract him. Just keep summoning those guys. They keep him occupied and give you enough time to wittle down his health.

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Get a bow and pump a gazillion arrows into him from a safe distance.
The map you find him in has tons of summoning spots to call in npcs that distract him. Just keep summoning those guys. They keep him occupied and give you enough time to wittle down his health.

How many of those NPCs can you have at once?

Last edited:

Hestar69

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWR After many hours Black Blade Kindred is defeated!!!!!
UewnSAY.jpg
finally beat him myself an hr ago! what a pain in the ass he was..

I'm kinda lost on where to go now.I killed Radahn went to that underground city,fought the mimic but dunno what to do next.

AV

How many of those NPCs can you have at once?

A lot. And I'm pretty sure the signs respawn. The fight is designed around you running around hitting those summons, more become available depending on actions you take outside of the fight.

It's probably the shittest boss in the game, honestly. Just spam the summons and attack when he's distracted.

Top Bottom