• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just beat a catacomb boss fight agains two crucible knights. Holeee shit, that was tense, but the reward's worth it!.

Last edited:

Aesius

My Visage Shield makes all fights against humanoid bosses/NPC invaders so easy. It blocks basically everything and allows me to do a guard counter after every block. After a few of those, it opens the enemies up to a critical attack.

Bigfroth

66 hours in and I'm really enjoying this game, open-world +soulsborne gameplay is like Chocolate and Peanut butter.
peanut butter autonomy GIF by For Everest

Bartski

Gold Member
For anyone struggling with some late-game bosses - I actually wish I didn't know, but there is ash of war that quite literally breaks the game and can make some enemy AI switch off so they "crash" and stop attacking due to constant stun lock. Happened to me on the final boss, on the biggest secret two-headed dragon fight... They simply have to nerf it, I hope they will - double or triple the FP consumption so it's impossible to spam. My rule no. 1 is never to use Hoarfrost Stomp in NG+

Pejo

My Visage Shield makes all fights against humanoid bosses/NPC invaders so easy. It blocks basically everything and allows me to do a guard counter after every block. After a few of those, it opens the enemies up to a critical attack.
But that STR requirement though...

V4skunk

Banned
I beat the game today at 88 hours. I think I still had roughly 10-15% undiscovered stuff on the map. IMO it's a 10/10 and might be my favorite game of all time. I may need to let that opinion marinate for awhile, but right now it feels that way.

If there was only one major complaint I have about the game, is that late game difficulty for bosses gets ramped up to such an crazy degree, that the "Play whatever build you want" approach is no longer viable. You might feel forced into respecing and changing your build into something you never would've used, but you are now because it's giving you an actual fighting chance against the bosses, or allowing you to cheese them.
How are you doing most of the game in 88 hours? You 100% have to be reading guides. I'm 44 hours in and just fully {I think} explored Limgrave and about to do Caelid.

Cyberpunkd

If there was only one major complaint I have about the game, is that late game difficulty for bosses gets ramped up to such an crazy degree, that the "Play whatever build you want" approach is no longer viable. You might feel forced into respecing and changing your build into something you never would've used, but you are now because it's giving you an actual fighting chance against the bosses, or allowing you to cheese them.
Not a bad thing IMO. I find respeccing way better than starting from scratch and doing all the bosses again.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
What is the best/most fun way to play this game, for people who have come far or already finished it? I started out as the Samurai, going mainly into Dex, but so far I feel very outmatched against anything but a few easy enemies. Bosses are hopeless (mini bosses in caves etc have been fine though), and I have nothing for crowd control. Do you HAVE TO use magic for this game to really work?

Also haven't really found any weapons worth a damn, still using the Uchigatana.
Don't think in terms of "optimal." Every weapon is viable and, when upgraded, are more than capable of carrying you through the end game.

Instead try to decide what kind of play style you enjoy. For me, I enjoy two handing a small sword and going shieldless most of the time, hyper aggressive. But for you maybe you enjoy the stagger of a larger weapon or the delicate tap dance of creating space with a casting character. The first two areas are largely balanced to allow for experimentation. Try everything and only level your VIG and END for now along with enough points to allow you to wield any weapons you're curious about.

Once you decide what kind of play style you enjoy, then you can start to specialize in STR, DEX, both, or the various magics which is usually a combo of MND/INT or MND/FTH. As you specialize, you'll be on the lookout for rewards (namely talismans or weapons or spells) which fit your playstyle and which benefit your stat allocations.

The whole process of creating a build is very fluid and ultimately it comes down to tailoring your weapons and stats to your desired style of play. So long as you don't spread your points across too many categories there aren't really any "bad builds."

By the time you beat the second mainline boss you should have a grip on what youre shooting for and you also unlock the option to respec your character. This option is better suited for small refinements rather than sweeping changes (as you've probably started to make significant weapon upgrades) but it's definitely a tool you should use once you've settled on a general build archetype.

Last edited:

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Not yet, had irl responsibilities to get back to so progress has slowed. I’m over SL 100 after finishing the capital and exploring underground. Still have what looks like a good amount left.

Yeah I wasn’t able to play yesterday at all. First time in awhile I cared that I couldn’t play a game haha

Cyberpunkd

What is the best/most fun way to play this game, for people who have come far or already finished it? I started out as the Samurai, going mainly into Dex, but so far I feel very outmatched against anything but a few easy enemies. Bosses are hopeless (mini bosses in caves etc have been fine though), and I have nothing for crowd control. Do you HAVE TO use magic for this game to really work?

Also haven't really found any weapons worth a damn, still using the Uchigatana.
You will find plenty of STR or DEX builds being perfectly viable.

For anyone struggling with some late-game bosses - I actually wish I didn't know, but there is ash of war that quite literally breaks the game and can make some enemy AI switch off so they "crash" and stop attacking due to constant stun lock. Happened to me on the final boss, on the biggest secret two-headed dragon fight... They simply have to nerf it, I hope they will - double or triple the FP consumption so it's impossible to spam. My rule no. 1 is never to use Hoarfrost Stomp in NG+
I am going through Caelid at the moment and absolutely wrecking everything with this ash of war. I've got it on a flail that also does combined bleed and cold damage. Just carving dudes up.

SJRB

Gold Member
I swear to god Caelid is the worst area I've ever seen in any FROM game in terms of constant dread. Probably worse than even Blighttown.

I am extremely on edge literally every second. The music doesn't help either, holy crap.

Last edited:

Pejo

I swear to god Caelid is the worst area I've ever seen in any FROM game in terms of constant dread.

I am extremely on edge literally every second. The music doesn't help either, holy crap.
Yea it's got a very unsettling atmosphere and an alien feel. For as much as I enjoy just walking around in Limgrave/Liurnia, Caelid is a stressful time. Expertly designed to be able to make me feel that way though.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Ugh, fuck me, so i need to beat his ass...
That thing is actually a little easier than the version found in a dungeon. Just stay close and whack away. It's a classic case of the boss looking way worse than it actually is. The hardest part is closing the distance initially. Once you're close you're fairly safe but if you keep it at a distance it will one shot you or grab you.

Swift_Star

Banned
Managed to kill Radhan without cheesing him… the secret is to keep hugging and hiting him. And it’s mandatory to hide behind the swords while summoning the NPCs. Second try today.

R6Rider

Gold Member
For anyone starting a new character(s) and wanting to get a head start: You can get nearly 100k Runes in about half an hour or less which can level you to about 35.

Helps with the repetitive nature that normally accompanies starting areas in games.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
For anyone starting a new character(s) and wanting to get a head start: You can get nearly 100k Runes in about half an hour or less which can level you to about 35.

Helps with the repetitive nature that normally accompanies starting areas in games.
How? I’m at level 70 but 100k could get me a couple of levels I think.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
By using a bleed weapon (which unless you start with a bleed weapon, will be the Morningstar on the weeping peninsula), grabbing those gold claw things that raise runes gained for a short time, and then going to the half dead/rotted dragon in Caelid (using a portal to get there fast) and killing it.

You might have already killed it, but it nets just over 97k with the consumable mentioned above.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Yeah that seems like a broken amount of runes for a new character. Hell, I beat the Tree Sentinel at level 15 I think and was fucking elated to grab the 4900 runes for the win. That's big money for a little guy.

Hinedorf

Banned
Found out I have an art of war that lets shield parry/ block those annoying magic missiles in Raya Lucia. So much more easier now fighting that boss before the main boss.
Oh and i put my finger slings on the right. Shield block left, casting on the right, get in close and switch to melee.
Curious how many folks do this because I was the same exact way, before too long I switched my casting over to my right hand so I would only be toggling right direction for either sword/magic. Only thing it seems to screw up is casting the magic upgrade on weapon but I've yet to run into an encounter where it felt needed.

To me left hand casting felt way more dangerous as I prefer to keep my shield in my left hand on a permanent basis

Swift_Star

Banned
By using a bleed weapon (which unless you start with a bleed weapon, will be the Morningstar on the weeping peninsula), grabbing those gold claw things that raise runes gained for a short time, and then going to the half dead/rotted dragon in Caelid (using a portal to get there fast) and killing it.

You might have already killed it, but it nets just over 97k with the consumable mentioned above.
Oh shit, I killed it yeah, but didn’t use the item for the runes :(

R6Rider

Gold Member
Curious how many folks do this because I was the same exact way, before too long I switched my casting over to my right hand so I would only be toggling right direction for either sword/magic. Only thing it seems to screw up is casting the magic upgrade on weapon but I've yet to run into an encounter where it felt needed.

To me left hand casting felt way more dangerous as I prefer to keep my shield in my left hand on a permanent basis
I started my newer character with staff in left hand and sword in right, but since you can't cast while on the horse with that setup, I switched.

Now it's Sword and Torch (until I get the lantern) in left slot and staff in the right. I also put FP Flasks on the pouch so I don't constantly have to scroll to get to them.

Swift_Star

Banned
Where can we get this one? I’ll definitely use it if it annoys me. I’m not over cheesing. Not at all.

The_hunter

I swear to god Caelid is the worst area I've ever seen in any FROM game in terms of constant dread. Probably worse than even Blighttown.

I loved that area, bloodborne 2 levels of dread.

Hinedorf

Banned

What's crazy is that if From wanted to milk every penny out of their product the way you see EA and others do they absolutely could have and tons of people would've paid for it to simplify their experience.

Credit From making their game and not fucking it up for the purpose of pinching pennies from their fans. Single price with a mountain of content and no filler MTX bullshit.

How often do you see game companies doing the right thing for their product versus the right thing for their stock holders

Last edited:

drotahorror

Finally unlocked the Bell that allows me to buy the Smithing Stones finally, I have plenty of weapons to try out, however I still cannot use this Golden halberd at 30 str (only at 20, been levelling up all round like a bit of faith for a heal spell and some Magic)

I also just saw the full map.... This is gonna be a looooooong game, especially as I like to 100% souls games mostly

You can still 2 hand it. Plus you do more damage that way. You don’t need the strength requirements to 2 hand weapons. The game will give you a warning. If it says you can 2 hand it then you’re good to go. I’m nearing the end of game and I’ve never equipped a shield. In fact I’m dual wielding 2 colossal swords.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fire giant is kind of making me want to drop the game. Area around it wasn't exactly inspiring either.
Do you have a weapon that does blood damage? I had to go that route. Blood loss is your friend. So much so that it completely changed my play style.

Madflavor

Gold Member
How are you doing most of the game in 88 hours? You 100% have to be reading guides. I'm 44 hours in and just fully {I think} explored Limgrave and about to do Caelid.
Is there really 44 hours worth of stuff to do in Limgrave? I think I had that place turned over in around 10 hours, not counting Stormveil. I started my 2nd playthrough last night, with the intention of 100% the game, so I'm sure I'll discover lots of things I hadn't before.

Not a bad thing IMO. I find respeccing way better than starting from scratch and doing all the bosses again.

Well I agree that giving you the ability to respec is great, and the game is generous with how many times you can respec. I just think endgame difficulty isn't balanced at all for certain builds. I honestly can't imagine doing the optional superbosses and the final bosses as a pure strength build for example. I think almost all builds are pretty much viable in early and mid game though, but eventually you cross a threshold where window of opportunities to attack get smaller and smaller, and every boss as the ability to one shot you, unless you pumped a metric shitton of points into Vigor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom