• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Ar¢tos

The biggest flaw with the open world design is that, after killing only Margit (and I didn't need to kill him for this) , I now have nearly the whole map unlocked (except mountain top, nokstella and haligtree obviously), the means to get my gear up to +13 minimum (maybe +15 if I can farm more smithing stones (5), and 10 flasks at +6 strength, and all this at lvl 23.

SJRB

Gold Member
The biggest flaw with the open world design is that, after killing only Margit (and I didn't need to kill him for this) , I now have nearly the whole map unlocked (except mountain top, nokstella and haligtree obviously), the means to get my gear up to +13 minimum (maybe +15 if I can farm more smithing stones (5), and 10 flasks at +6 strength, and all this at lvl 23.

How is this a flaw? You did that by choice.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

That's not really a flaw considering you

A. spent hours doing it
B. don't have any VIT/END so you're still gonna get one-shot by most later enemies

Swift_Star

Banned
Yeah, you can only be invaded in ER if you're already in a co-op session. Kinda sucks honestly, being invaded at random times was always a big part of the experience and they ripped it out for us who don't co-op.
Theres an item you can use so you can be invaded randomly if you so want that. You get it by defeating the NPC at the roundtable area. I’m glad it’s opted in now. I hated being invaded randomly.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Not sure how I feel about it.
You feel good.

The game trys everything to make it hard. Awkward camera locking, small arenas, enemies/bosses spaming infinite magic, one hit kills, insane long fast attacks with great accuracy and those fucking delayed attacks. I defeated the makar magma wyrm last night at my first try, i summoned two npcs and the spirit of banished knight oleg +5 AND it was a 15 minute intense fight teeth to teeth, it was awesome nailed it.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
That’s on you though. You explored because you wanted to. The game should gatekeep you from exploring? That makes no sense.

Swift_Star

Banned
Finally used a summon for the first time on a boss that was giving me trouble. Made it far, far easier. Not sure how I feel about it. I guess this is one way to offer new players (like me) an easier go of things.
the game is tailored towards summons and coop. Why would you feel about this? It’s the way it meant to be played. Sure, you can be a masochist and solo the bosses but that’s not the objective here. It’s a game, it’s a mechanic intended to be used. So you should use it.
And believe me, we vets are using because the bosses are cunts. They’re beating out asses hard.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

How is this a flaw? You did that by choice.
That's not really a flaw considering you

A. spent hours doing it
B. don't have any VIT/END so you're still gonna get one-shot by most later enemies
That’s on you though. You explored because you wanted to. The game should gatekeep you from exploring? That makes no sense.

Not exactly a "flaw", I did it out of curiosity to see the max I could achieve without killing any boss (not really counting Margit, i killed him before starting this "project"), I didn't do it as a low level char attempt, but this does make ER low lvl chars easier to create than in DKS games.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not exactly a "flaw", I did it out of curiosity to see the max I could achieve without killing any boss (not really counting Margit, i killed him before starting this "project"), I didn't do it as a low level char attempt, but this does make ER low lvl chars easier to create than in DKS games.

For sure, but that's the mark of a good RPG.

Upgraded Godric Soldiers to +5, Golden Halberd to +5. We got it bois.
Lord Of The Rings Yolo GIF by Mashable

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Sick of dragging the map icon all the way to the bottom left of the map when trying to get to the Roundtable Hold, just to place a waypoint marker?

The process is as follows:

1: While in the map, press Y or triangle to load the Sites of Grace filter
2: Then, press X or Square and you'll be prompted to fast travel to the Roundtable Hold!

If you didn't know this, hopefully it saves you some time.

Cheers.

near

Gold Member
I'm finally at an impasse. I've been stuck on this boss for 2 days now.

Malenia. This fucker has a move which I can't block or avoid, my timing is always off and one mistake your dead.

GermanZepp

Not a huge fan of Stormveil Castle, I feel like a rat in a maze in there. I spent over an hour last night and thought I was making progress only to somehow wind up right where I began. I just nope'd out and went exploring up north.
There are a LOT of zones that you can miss there if you don't pay attention. Don't be shy trying jumps and falls

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not a huge fan of Stormveil Castle, I feel like a rat in a maze in there. I spent over an hour last night and thought I was making progress only to somehow wind up right where I began. I just nope'd out and went exploring up north.
LMAO. Wait until you get to the capital.

GymWolf

Gold Member
There are a LOT of zones that you can miss there if you don't pay attention. Don't be shy trying jumps and falls
Yeah about that, does that ulcerated cunt down there give good rewards for killing him?? It looked like a shit boss fight so if the rewards are shitty i'm gonna ignore the motherfucker.

You eventually unlock some shortcuts via elevator. You can also bypass a huge chunk of the castle by going a rooftop route but it's definitely trial and error, expect to keep dying until you get familiar with the layout.

There's probably 2-3 grace points in there so if you keep at it enough you'll find yourself in a good spot that makes the grind less tedious.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go at it in coop, you can summon me in and I'd be happy to help you tackle it. I'm Eastern time zone but could link up this weekend if you want.

Are flails any good?
They're especially great for hardened type enemies, namely the crystal cavern side quest. I don't use a flail but I use the morningstar and it's kinda the same concept. Granted, it's +8 but a jumping heavy attack with the talisman that increases jump attack damage pretty much one shots most enemies.

GermanZepp

Yeah about that, does that ulcerated cunt down there give good rewards for killing him?? It looked like a shit boss fight so if the rewards are shitty i'm gonna ignore the motherfucker.
I'dont remeber. :messenger_beaming: EDIT: a golden seed or a stone key.. something of that matter

Last edited:

Pejo

Ulcerated Tree Spirits always give golden seeds at the very least, so always worth it from that angle.

Keihart

the game is tailored towards summons and coop. Why would you feel about this? It’s the way it meant to be played. Sure, you can be a masochist and solo the bosses but that’s not the objective here. It’s a game, it’s a mechanic intended to be used. So you should use it.
And believe me, we vets are using because the bosses are cunts. They’re beating out asses hard.
This is the same shit as playing Monster Hunter with a palico.
Sometimes you just want the little shit to keep his agro away of the fight so the boss can be more predictable.

Magic users tho....yeah, it's probably pretty hard to do some enemies as a caster without summons or something.

G-Bus

Banned
Made a few more attempts at Margit last night and got a bit frustrated so I started wondering around. Somehow I hadn't seen east limgrave so explored that a ton.

Stumbled into Siofra River and did that for a bit. Got a fee levels.

Went back to Margit and took him down. That just felt great. I really didn't think I was going to beat that guy and now I feel like I'm ready for this game.

Can't wait to jump back in and explore that castle.

TitanNut88

Game is a gem. I have the feeling that every FromSoftware game is better than the previous one. I had a bit of fear about the open world but man, it is perfectly implemented.

Difficulty-wise, I feel it is much easier than Sekiro and probably also than Bloodborne but the sh*tty
Crucible Knight
is impossible to kill for me for now.

Last edited:

Pejo

So Elden-GAF, which spirit ashes are you guys using other than mimic tear?

I have leveled a bunch to mid-level and for my money there still isn't a better generic spirit than the Godrick Soldiers. 2 of them, one with a shield that takes hits and staggers with his hammer, the other that snipes and annoys enemies from a distance. They aren't doing anything for damage, but for 'divide and conquer' strategies, I still haven't found anything that beats them. I wanted to like the demi-humans but they just die so damn quick and despite there being more bodies, they seem less effective overall.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

I have leveled a bunch to mid-level and for my money there still isn't a better generic spirit than the Godrick Soldiers. 2 of them, one with a shield that takes hits and staggers with his hammer, the other that snipes and annoys enemies from a distance. They aren't doing anything for damage, but for 'divide and conquer' strategies, I still haven't found anything that beats them. I wanted to like the demi-humans but they just die so damn quick and despite there being more bodies, they seem less effective overall.
On my first character I didn't even use summons for the first 30 hour or so and mostly used the Giant Rats as they have no FP or HP cost.

On my second character (magic) I use a variety of them, but it's still early. They are great for allowing you to actually get spells out.

Cyberpunkd

I have leveled a bunch to mid-level and for my money there still isn't a better generic spirit than the Godrick Soldiers.
Same. The wolves are just too squishy and die quickly to AoE. Soldiers are really tough and the melee ones staggers nicely. They saved me a few times.

GermanZepp

We the chads use Banished Knight Oleg. In my experience is a tank, it help a lot. I got him +5 EDIT: Holy shit acording to the wiki there are at least
spirits

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I used the rabid dog against Margit. He will slowly poison the enemy and you kite back and cheese.

DanEON

I am using the Wolves so far. Lvl'd it to +2. They move and attack fast. I want to use Lhutel the Headless but I still dont have enough FP (104). I heard it is one of the best.

hollams

Gold Member
I've been playing in offline mode for most of my playthrough of around 50 hours and last night I decided to go online for a bit.

I was exploring a new area and it was filled with messages from other players which honestly took away from the thrill of exploration for me. When I am exploring a building/castle, I like to look around the corners and over ledges to find places that I can jump down to, but being online all of these places were lit up with 3 or 4 messages and I could tell without reading them there was something to be found there. There were a couple that pointed to a couple of false walls which was cool, but again it's not me finding them so it felt a bit like cheating, or better yet, I was cheating myself.

The_hunter

Giga-chad pumpkin head. His head armor absorbs all spells, and does bleed damage with his flail.

I use the ancestral follower summons. He has very strong and aggressive melee attacks and he has that big fuck off bow for ranged. He can really stay in the fight when leveled up a bit.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Level 25 Confessor and staying away from YT hints and tutorials and all that.

Just equipped Quick Step and oh boy am I more confident now.

At first it may sound like nothing but for me so far it's better than a Flaming 2 handed one shot sword .

Top Bottom