• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Found these fuckers tonight

6N9yF3D.png

Brought back Dark Souls memories.

near

Gold Member
Bosses just get progressively worse as the game goes on, it really feels like they were designed by a totally different team than the rest of the content.

Bosses in Elden Ring range from mediocre to outright bad with unfair tactics or even bland overall design. It’s somewhat surprising after how they nailed bosses in Sekiro.

My guess is that allowing ash summons gave From liberties to go crazy on the bosses, but I think they really missed the mark here. Demons Souls, DS, BB and Sekiro had so many memorable bosses, but here I just roll mu eyes at every encounter, even the main quest ones.

I wouldn't say they get progressively worse because everyone will more than likely be tackling bosses in a varied order, but I kind of get what you mean at least with the main quest bosses. Well, to some extent I feel a few of the last bosses had telegraphed movesets that weren't nearly as advanced as those given to Godrick the Grafted. But by the same token, not everyone will be playing the same class or let alone same skill set, so everyone will approach bosses in different ways and every boss I encountered more or less was unique in there offence. So I really think they nailed it in terms of balancing the challenge. Mind you any boss you face after Malenia feels weak.

Mossybrew

Just beat Rennala, she was another trivial boss, I'm sure I'm overleveled for this area but IDGAF, Golden Halberd+5 made short work of everyone here. The Academy is a really cool place, have to say I enjoyed exploring this environment much more than Stormveil Castle. So this is where you can respec, very cool but also scary, how rare are those respec items?

Last edited:

kevm3

I was about to make another post about the bosses today. Beat one of the cheapest boss encounters I've played in a long time today, is Elemer of the Briar in the shaded castle... Can you say magic stab attacks that reach 3/4th across the screen, input reading, nonstop spamming of special movies, AOE effects and delayed swinging to throw your dodge rhythm off? The bosses really feel like a slog in this game unless you want to use summons and just wail on the boss while the summon has the boss's attention.

kevm3

Volcano Manor is one of the coolest areas in the game, especially if you go to it by one of the 'hidden methods', which is letting that abductor at the bottom of the water wheel at the magic academy take you out with it's grab move and you get transported to the volcano zone.

SkylineRKR

Just beat Rennala, she was another trivial boss, I'm sure I'm overleveled for this area but IDGAF, Golden Halberd+5 made short work of everyone here. The Academy is a really cool place, have to say I enjoyed exploring this environment much more than Stormveil Castle. So this is where you can respec, very cool but also scary, how rare are those respec items?

Not that rare it seems. I have about 5 and I didn't look for them. You will find them and some vendors might sell one.

I’m fucking shit up in PVP with dual whips and bloodhounds step

I don’t think most people know how to dodge the whips move set

Just playing very aggressive with bloodhounds step. For the unaware, it basically lets you teleport

Super fun pvp build

So I've yet to start the game [as I'm waiting for the Raytracing patch]; but for those of you playing - I want to play a sword-weilding Knight/Assassin type class, but I also want to be able to use all of the cool magical spells in the game.

What class should I choose and what attributes should I focus on?

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Doing any of the Volcano Manor quests before taking on Starscourge Radahn is completely ill-advised.

FROM, you diabolical bastards.

So I've yet to start the game [as I'm waiting for the Raytracing patch]; but for those of you playing - I want to play a sword-weilding Knight/Assassin type class, but I also want to be able to use all of the cool magical spells in the game.

Confessor, IMO. But you can build your character into anything, really.

Volcano Manor is one of the coolest areas in the game, especially if you go to it by one of the 'hidden methods', which is letting that abductor at the bottom of the water wheel at the magic academy take you out with it's grab move and you get transported to the volcano zone.

Completely agree.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Well folks, I'm out. I'll always love the Souls games but I think between this and Sekiro, I've reached my limit with FROM - it's pretty clear they've run out of any meaningful direction in which to take their formula (let's add open world and crafting!), but neither have they the courage to move beyond it. Anyhoo, GT awaits.

The_hunter

Incantations (faith) have a lot of utility type spells, I would recommend faith. Sorceries are mostly spells like magic missile.

Mossybrew

Ugh well I just heard about the Arsenal Charm which reduces your weight requirement, but it looks like unless you had Nepheli help you with Godrick, she won't give it to you at Roundtable. She's easily missable before the Godrick fight because you can come from another direction and never see her. Oh well I hear there's a +1 version to be found later in the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
Ugh well I just heard about the Arsenal Charm which reduces your weight requirement, but it looks like unless you had Nepheli help you with Godrick, she won't give it to you at Roundtable. She's easily missable before the Godrick fight because you can come from another direction and never see her. Oh well I hear there's a +1 version to be found later in the game.
there is a better one in Caelid, but requires you beat 3 invaders in a row that all are ultra hard the moment you usually get to that place the first time.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've heard using two of the same type of sword gives you a strength boost, but I don't notice it with colossal greatswords. My stats show the same. Does that just not work with them?

SkylineRKR

I use faith and you can throw lightning spears, (dark) pyromancy stuff, AoE spells etc. I think Dragon stuff also scaled with FTH but you need some Arcane for it.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Radahn fight was far easier than I anticipated, I died plenty but horseback/incatations made for a fairly easy experience once the timing/spacing was worked out.

Solarstrike

Anyone having any luck playing coop with friends? I cannot get it to work, trying to play along with my brother. The description(s) of the multiplayer items are redundant and don't make any sense. Is there a decent tutorial in how how get it to work? Thank you

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I want to use offensive spells.

Faith is kind of crazy honestly how much they put in it. Utility, beast, dragon, holy lightning, fire etc. It’s also super offensive.

I picked dex/int with sorcery, but what I see from faith is nuts. At the same time, I think sorcery focused builds are completely broken 🤷‍♂️

Hinedorf

Banned
Faith is kind of crazy honestly how much they put in it. Utility, beast, dragon, holy lightning, fire etc. It’s also super offensive.

I picked dex/int with sorcery, but what I see from faith is nuts. At the same time, I think sorcery focused builds are completely broken 🤷‍♂️
IMO having high Faith is pretty OP in itself but not on the level I've seen with Astrologist. When I started with my Confessor I wanted to be hybrid and be both competent in casting and combat. Overtime what I found is I was basically a swiss army knife and I could handle any fight with any level of versatility I needed but really had to compromise with what works versus what I wanted to be.

Combine Faith with a Faith-based weapon like Winged Scythe and even my combat changed from a Sword/Shield to ditching the shield altogether for 1-hand Scythe and dodging. Maybe this is the aspect of 'git-gud' but to me a shield became obsolete the more I learned the timing on bosses and their attacks.

Further learning what spells I like w/weapons ie Godslayer Seal w/Blackfire and then stacking my talismans with faith bonus, fire bonus, damage bonus on max health, defense bonus on max health and boom once you start learning to avoid hits as you should you start ripping through fights. At this point I'm ready for any challenge and know if I fail it's on me. Not sure I'd play this game any other way than having all these tools available to me.

The_hunter

Anyone having any luck playing coop with friends? I cannot get it to work, trying to play along with my brother. The description(s) of the multiplayer items are redundant and don't make any sense. Is there a decent tutorial in how how get it to work? Thank you
Put the same multiplayer password, and put a summon sign down. Worth noting, you can only summon co-op in an area where the boss is still alive. You also can't free-roam in co-op, the areas are restricted.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Thank you whoever recommended using a shield against melania!!!! Beat her second try with a shield, first time using a shield in elden ring

Made a HUGE difference, for me and mimic

Who knew you could simply block all her BS
I kept it it ready to go in case I needed to block her cheesy Waterfowl Dance move since there's no chance I was rolling out of all three strikes. Fortunately she dropped it on my tanky Mimic instead, and we ended up just overwhelming her with our dual bleed weapons.

Swift_Star

Banned
Explored shaded castle, then got to volcano manor. I’m finding the game easier right now apart from some bosses. I’m definitely over leveled.

SCB3

Someone earlier pointed out how much like DS2 this is and I can't agree more, so much of this feels like a DS2 remake in a lot of ways, so many subtle things are screaming DS2 to me, I wonder if it was the same team that did DS2 (it was developed alongside Sekiro after all)

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Someone earlier pointed out how much like DS2 this is and I can't agree more, so much of this feels like a DS2 remake in a lot of ways, so many subtle things are screaming DS2 to me, I wonder if it was the same team that did DS2 (it was developed alongside Sekiro after all)
That would have been me, happy that others agree 👌

Funny thing about that crazy butcher knife I posted about a few pages back, it was immediately replaced by the sword you can forge with Rykard's Soul lol. The sword scales with Faith too, has a powerful special and has built-in life steal on kill. The craziest part? If you're playing in co-op you get the life steal no matter who gets the kill! I've been helping a buddy who is more of a casual gamer and I couldn't believe it when it first happened, him killing things heals *me*! So good 😆

SkylineRKR

Faith is certainly OP, but I feel its less OP than sorcery.

I use Bloodflame blade, which is ofcourse powerful. Lightning spear and Black Flame are powerful. Crucible Tail is pretty good crowd control but you're vulnerable during charge.

I think Comet of Azur etc should be more overpowered than Faith spells.

Swift_Star

Banned
is holy actually good in this game? I have a weapon that scales with str, dex and fth. I’m not going to put points in dex, would the weapon be trash?

near

Gold Member
Faith only gets good late game, that's when the best offensive incantations become available. They also cost a fair amount of FP and require higher stats to cast.

SkylineRKR

I've used Golden Halberd up to Rennala. Its good but it does lose steam the further you progress. Ofcourse, if you can farm and buy Somber stones (from the manor and vendor close to there), you can get the Halberd up rather quickly. A +5 halberd should be the same as a +14 normal weapon. Golden Vow is also very good.

is holy actually good in this game? I have a weapon that scales with str, dex and fth. I’m not going to put points in dex, would the weapon be trash?

I don't know if Holy really adds something except for killing skeletons and undead without the need of a second kill.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does Hoarfrost Stomp wreck Malenia? It’s wrecked most bosses I’ve seen so far. I think I’m almost at that point in the game. I just finished
Malekith

Boss Man

For any spellcaster sorts out there, where do you equip your spellcasting weapon? I’m torn between putting it behind my mainhand sword or putting it first in the off-hand slot to focus on two-handing while meleeing.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I've used Golden Halberd up to Rennala. Its good but it does lose steam the further you progress. Ofcourse, if you can farm and buy Somber stones (from the manor and vendor close to there), you can get the Halberd up rather quickly. A +5 halberd should be the same as a +14 normal weapon. Golden Vow is also very good.

I don't know if Holy really adds something except for killing skeletons and undead without the need of a second kill.
The Golden Halberd? It's like the best weapon in the game....
The gargoyle sword or halberd actually.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Its hilarious you still haven't started man. I respect that but I'm also shaking my head. More power to you.

As for your build - check these:

Magic Knight

"Spell Blade"

Should form a decent base for what you actually want to build.

(spoilers in video form of the first area. Not massive spoilers at all but worth mentioning)

If you're opposed to any form of spoiler then I'll just say this - I'm using a hybrid sword/magic character but I'm focused on DEX/FTH because it seems like an unorthodox combo and is proving very effective. You could start building in any direction but for me, I'd begin by leveling END to about 12-14, VIG to 20, and then either STR/DEX to about 20. This should give you a foundation that can go toe-to-toe with the content as a melee character. By about level 30 you should consider upping VIG to 25 so you're not one-shot as often, raise STR/DEX to a point where you can use any weapons you've decided to use, and then make a big decision - FTH or INT. FTH has incorporated the pyromancies from Souls games so its kind of a double threat now with a lot of versatility (they call both miracles and pyromancies "Incantations" in this game). Intelligence is still the same sorcery you're familiar with. I highly recommend not trying to build a hybrid melee/caster that uses melee, sorceries and incantations if you're trying to stay within the meta level range. You'll be spread way too thin and all of your stats will suffer.

Start as a solid melee guy and then blend in some casting stats as the game/your EXP allows you to.

Edit: it bears mentioning that, just as certain weapons in Souls games deserved dedicated builds (and it seems that's still very much the case in Elden Ring), certain Ashes of War can also be so potent they can form a build in and of themselves. Barricade Shield, for example, is complete newbie mode but it's so broken (coupled with the new shield/riposte mechanics) that it could easily be the keystone to a build in and of itself. I'm sure there's a few other broken Ashes that are on that level as well. Stats aren't the whole picture is what I'm getting at.

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Well…kinda hard to say how/why I got it the way I did without spoiling something, how far are you?
Eh hold off on explaining I guess. I know from reading your posts you're way ahead of me. I'm 50 hours in, level 50, exploring Liurnia. Only two main bosses down.

I've had lot of stuff spoiled for me in this thread so I'm not really looking to ask those tough questions yet.

Your whip build looks ridiculous by the way. How's that working out? Wasn't that more of an afterthought? Seems like a lot of armor for a whipper.

Eh hold off on explaining I guess. I know from reading your posts you're way ahead of me. I'm 50 hours in, level 50, exploring Liurnia. Only two main bosses down.

I've had lot of stuff spoiled for me in this thread so I'm not really looking to ask those tough questions yet.

Your whip build looks ridiculous by the way. How's that working out? Wasn't that more of an afterthought? Seems like a lot of armor for a whipper.
When I pve in hard areas I wear the heaviest armor I can get away with. My endurance is so high I can literally wear the heaviest armor I’ve found so far and still be in medium encumbrance

The whips are great, especially fun in pvp, I’m testing a new build based around on the katana I unlocked tonight though

Top Bottom