• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Mossybrew

Ok so I've heard about Hoarfrost Stomp, but didn't pay it much mind. I finally came across it in the wild, and now I'm using it on my mage build and, wow? So I have this weird setup now where I have my staff in one hand on this little bleed axe in the other so, my left trigger one is staff spell and two is stomp, then right is just melee. What's the best way to increase the Ash Stomp's power, more Int? Just keep leveling up the weapon?

The_hunter

For any spellcaster sorts out there, where do you equip your spellcasting weapon? I’m torn between putting it behind my mainhand sword or putting it first in the off-hand slot to focus on two-handing while meleeing.
I put my staff on my offhand, sword in mainhand, and just dodge everything.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Found these fuckers tonight

6N9yF3D.png

Brought back Dark Souls memories.
Man do I hate those little shits.

One's no issue, but 3 or 4 can fuck me over.

Hinedorf

Banned
is holy actually good in this game? I have a weapon that scales with str, dex and fth. I’m not going to put points in dex, would the weapon be trash?
I used Faith Based Scythe and as an example I can put 1 point into Str which gets me one damage point or I can put a point into Faith which puts a point on my my Seal and on my Weapon Simultaneously. I've stopped putting points in STR because in going this route Faith gives me 2 for 1. As far as criteria, you only need your stats at the minimum.

Holy OBLITERATES Skeletons and the Miner people

Last edited:
The game is extremely addicting once u know what to do and where to go , spent like straight 4 5 hours in Mt gelmir trying to find it's map fragment and finally did after 4 5 hours .
Amazing game.
Learn ubisoft /guirella games and others
Learn from this , this is how u do an open world
If elden had an easy mode or a guided path mode everyone would use that and the game would loose it's glory

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Elden Ring is dense and such an open world game, that sometimes the best route can be difficult to find. After making it through Stormveil Castle and Godrick the Grafted, then tackling Liurnia of the Lakes and Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon - you might find yourself in a conundrum. Do you take on Caelid and Starscrouge Radahn? Do you head up into the Altus Plateau and attempt Leyndell, the Royal Capital? Or do you yolo your way into Mt. Gelmir? Dave Klein of DaveControl is here to help with a handy route guide to help you tackle the Elden Ring challenges ahead. Here is an Elden Ring guide on the best path to take after Liurnia of the Lakes.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
If you’re not a Faith user, don’t have rot curing items and is running a low vig character in Lake of Rot, you’re screwed.

Cyberpunkd

The game is extremely addicting once u know what to do and where to go , spent like straight 4 5 hours in Mt gelmir trying to find it's map fragment and finally did after 4 5 hours .
Don’t know if it’s related but you will sometimes see outline on the unexplored map part indicating the map tablet, it’s the only thing that is visible if you have not yet discovered the map.

Its hilarious you still haven't started man. I respect that but I'm also shaking my head. More power to you.
😅

I know it seems odd - but I want to experience the game in it's "ultimate" form; rather than be caught playing around 80% of the way through the game...only for that patch to release and see that it drastically changes the lighting, shadows and reflections to such a degree, that I wished I had started at that point.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Going to start a new wretch character and see where it goes. I don't want to respec my first character, who I made into a stereotypical knight type (I am hunting down all the dragons, only one left that I am aware of). Maybe I'll do a holy build. Or a bleed + poison dex monkey. Hmm.

I thought about doing the OP build going around based on the Night and Fire sword, but it honestly looks boring - just blowing everything up. Maybe I'll save that for when my friend and I do a coop run (he wants to finish it completely solo first).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally got a proper weapon for my Dex build...

Morgott's Cursed Sword

uaBtkbf.png

Seriously, most weapons I got after exploring so much were either heavy STR build or Magic, specific Dex build weapon are very rare in Elden Ring.

Last edited:
Don’t know if it’s related but you will sometimes see outline on the unexplored map part indicating the map tablet, it’s the only thing that is visible if you have not yet discovered the map.
I know but from where I entered my gelmir I had to clear like 90 percent of the region to reach that

okay been messing around with PVP all evening after spending a few hours working on Ranni's quest (talk about a long, confusing quest. some people areas through and some neat bosses so far)

curious to see what everyone else is rocking for PVP

don't read ahead if you're worried about talisman spoilers as some of these aren't the easiest to find. not sure if people care about item spoilers.

so I'm playing a pure dex build
my current setup:
Hand of Malenia +10
Keen Uchi +22 with Seppuku (don't think I'm far enough in the game to get more smithing stones 8 to level it any further unfortunately)
Ronin's set for style points, love how it looks but the stats aren't great.
Really curious what talismans people are using, there are so damn many. tons of possible combinations. currently testing:
Rotten Winged Sword - greatly raises attack power with successive attacks (great for Hand of Malenia's special attack
Millicent's Prosthesis - boosts dexterity, raises attack power with successive attacks (see above)
Radagon's Soreseal - I'm level 123, I'm thinking of ditching this soon as the +5 to the stats won't be as worth it at a higher level, given I'll be taking more damage as a result of the talisman
Spelldrake Talisman +2 - vastly boosts magical damage negation (to counter Moonveil users and magic users in general)

been using the same wonderous flask since I got it - opaline bubbletear + crimson crystal tear

q0vRO9j.jpg

Last edited:

MastAndo

Hand of Malenia +10
Keen Uchi +22 with Seppuku (don't think I'm far enough in the game to get more smithing stones 8 to level it any further unfortunately)
Ronin's set for style points, love how it looks but the stats aren't great.
Really curious what talismans people are using, there are so damn many. tons of possible combinations. currently testing:
For a bleed build, check out the Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman. It increases attack power when there is blood loss nearby. I just grabbed it so I'm still messing around with it, but it seems like it has potential. It's in the sewers on the capital city, Lyendell Catacombs I believe. It's a bit of a trek to get to, so a guide on YouTube may be your best bet, but the boss at the end drops it.

Other than that, I'm using Radagon's Soreseal, Erdtree's Favor +2 and Great Jar's Arsenal (big boost to max equip load).

For a bleed build, check out the Lord of Blood's Exultation talisman. It increases attack power when there is blood loss nearby. I just grabbed it so I'm still messing around with it, but it seems like it has potential. It's in the sewers on the capital city, Lyendell Catacombs I believe. It's a bit of a trek to get to, so a guide on YouTube may be your best bet, but the boss at the end drops it.

Other than that, I'm using Radagon's Soreseal, Erdtree's Favor +2 and Great Jar's Arsenal (big boost to max equip load).
Thanks I’ll check it out!

Had no idea there was an erdtree favor +2, did you have to wait until NG+ to get it?

slade

21 hours in and I just noticed that I need to explore Limgrave more. Never went towards the side where it touches Caelid. Always just thought that the border was right there but there is more Limgrave that way. Ended up in a giant underground area called Siofra.

The_hunter

I just found a secret option for a questline, ranni spoilers.

There's a sidequest where you have to give a potion to the barbarian woman, you have the option to give it to her, or to her father, but you can also give it to the dung eater instead.

The game had no indication I could do that last option, I just stumbled across it.

Last edited:

protonion

So, I went to a castle south of the map.
It was heavily guarded and it had a giant ogre with a flame sword. I said fuck it and went other ways to explore.
After hours I went back to the castle. It had a portal on the bridge that took me inside and to the Rahdan boss. What the hell triggered this?

If it's one thing I will not miss in From games are these obscure triggers and overlapping events.

21 hours in and I just noticed that I need to explore Limgrave more. Never went towards the side where it touches Caelid. Always just thought that the border was right there but there is more Limgrave that way. Ended up in a giant underground area called Siofra.
you should definitely explore all of that area but Caelid/Siofra are meant to be left until later.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Beat Malenia after way too many tries and changing up my strategy. Now I'm helping others try to beat her.

Easily most broken fight in any Souls game. Too much RNG, too fast, and too much health, combined with the ability to heal.

You essentially HAVE to have certain equipment and there are builds where you cannot win.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Beat Malenia after way too many tries and changing up my strategy. Now I'm helping others try to beat her.

Easily most broken fight in any Souls game. Too much RNG, too fast, and too much health, combined with the ability to heal.

You essentially HAVE to have certain equipment and there are builds where you cannot win.
The main tough part is the swoosh swoosh swoosh high speed three-part sequence where you need to distance yourself correctly and can't rely on dodging individual slashes. It has a big telegraphed startup animation so you can adapt and overcome. The crash down flower in phase 2 is huge damage but easy to dodge+dodge.

The heal means that you can't trivialize it that much by overleveling. Mastery required.

isn't she optional? i don't mind a fight like that if it's optional.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I beat Malenia using a shield setup with full block mitigation for that wild-ass attack she does. Took me like 8 tries though. Pain in the ass she is.

Edit: also it's the middle of the night and six Steam friends are playing this game. During the day there were twelve. Last time I saw numbers like this was Witcher 3. Think it's safe to say it's a hit.

Edit 2: Found him. I know I'm late but I missed the key dialog. Need to remind myself to look at all the options for NPC chats

EVLljMm.jpg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The main tough part is the swoosh swoosh swoosh high speed three-part sequence where you need to distance yourself correctly and can't rely on dodging individual slashes. It has a big telegraphed startup animation so you can adapt and overcome. The crash down flower in phase 2 is huge damage but easy to dodge+dodge.

The heal means that you can't trivialize it that much by overleveling. Mastery required.
Yeah the biggest problem with the fight is the 360 slice attack she does. It's more difficult in phase 2 as she has more attacks with similar start up.

RNG with the fight can be stupid too. Sometimes she only does that attack once, other times she spams it.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention I beat her while having Scarlet Rot and died from it right after getting the runes. Had it for about 2 minutes of the fight and had no bolluses to cure.

Last edited:

Arozay

Which build do you think can't beat her?

I was able to fully block 3 spams of it using the brass shield you get like 10 minutes into the game from the troops in the first area

I used it because I have 12 str without without soreseal but it does 100% physical block reduction

I did have 50 endurance, which I’m sure helped stamina wise

Edit: whoa my post got all jacked up, posting from phone. Not sure what happened. Think I fixed it

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Which build do you think can't beat her?
Most builds without a shield, most magic builds, builds that can't stagger well.

I've been using a Halberd (just Keen) and only with this fight did I have to respec to add a shield and stamina.

I've helped tons of people now and it's pretty easy to spot who is going to have a hard time right based on their weapons and gear.

Last edited:

Arozay

Most builds without a shield, most magic builds, builds that can't stagger well.

I've been using a Halberd and only with this fight did I have to respec to add a shield and stamina.

I've helped tons of people now and it's pretty easy to spot who is going to have a hard time right based on their weapons and gear.
I can't think of anything you'd need to block on her, parry and bleed kinda cheese her so I just used a heavy greatsword.

Waterfowl slash is easy to dodge from mid-range, it's dodge-able from point blank too though its always safer to bait it out to mid-range.

partime

Beating the game with that silver dust shit. Spray alittle sprinkle sprinkle and twirl them around.
Some items are just so overpowered, like I'm still using many of my original equipment for astrologer, and the stone mask I found in the first beginning cave still provides the most protection, and I'm 2 rings in.

Love it, but I find myself choosing the easy way out whatever chance I get.

The_hunter

Beating the game with that silver dust shit. Spray alittle sprinkle sprinkle and twirl them around.
Some items are just so overpowered, like I'm still using many of my original equipment for astrologer, and the stone mask I found in the first beginning cave still provides the most protection, and I'm 2 rings in.

Love it, but I find myself choosing the easy way out whatever chance I get.
Astrologer staff is so good, great scaling and great base damage for spells. Still using it after 70 hours.

SCB3

Has anyone got a decent list of the side quests that I can progress before going to the Altus Plateau? I'm just past the Raya Lunaria Academy and thats where I'm supposed to head next

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is there any use for the second academy key i found other than giving it to the wizard i met close to the academy who asked for it??

SCB3

I did Caelid after academy but before Altus. Easier area IMO.
Yea I've ventured into Caelid a few times, I'm considering exploring a bit of the Central area and a couple of the Forts, I should be a decent level for them, I need to find the better smithing stones anyway and apparently here is where they may be

Yea I've ventured into Caelid a few times, I'm considering exploring a bit of the Central area and a couple of the Forts, I should be a decent level for them, I need to find the better smithing stones anyway and apparently here is where they may be
Cave tunnels are great spots in general, no matter where you are. Just explore them thoroughly.

You can also try starting Ranni’s quest, although it might be a little hard at your level. Not sure what the recommended level is.

before going into stormveil castle i went back and done a couple things. i went back to the folks hero grave. i had only got as far as the point where you're meant to drop down the gap. the two scions i avoided but i did get the erdtree favour. killed the big wheely thing. the boss almost killed me but got it first try.

was back at the church of elleh selling stuff and noticed the merchant had new dialogue about
the howling in the mistwoods which i hadn't even noticed lol. he gave me a gesture (finger snap) to use when i heard it and i found the wolf dude. used him as a summon to defeat darriwil in one of the gaols.

headed into stormveil. first of all fuck those damn birds with blades! the castle is a welcome change of pace. i feel completely lost in it. the enemies seem to be easy to kill (i am lvl 44 now though lol). i went around the side of the castle because that's what the creepy dude suggested. i ended up getting to the area where the guards have flame throwers which is near the main gate so i am almost back to where i started lol. there was area i didn't explore so i'm going back to that and see where it goes.

SCB3

You cant as far as I am aware?
You can, well kinda, you need to find the quest for the Threader Boc, its slight improvements though, better to focus on the Stats tbh

Cave tunnels are great spots in general, no matter where you are. Just explore them thoroughly.

You can also try starting Ranni’s quest, although it might be a little hard at your level. Not sure what the recommended level is.
I've started Ranni's quest (at the Three Sisters) so could carry on, I think getting the next smithing upgrades for the Store is a good idea for me now

Fools idol

Banned
the multi-arm archer / swordsmen dudes that swarm you in the cave system enclosed space are a fucking pain in the ass. Theres like 6 of them in a tiny corridor doing serious AOE damage.

All I can think about when I see encounters like this:

Person-Portrait_Hidetaka-Miyazaki.jpg

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
😅

I know it seems odd - but I want to experience the game in it's "ultimate" form; rather than be caught playing around 80% of the way through the game...only for that patch to release and see that it drastically changes the lighting, shadows and reflections to such a degree, that I wished I had started at that point.

The fact you think any sort of tech upgrade will be good is cute. If anything the Ray Tracing patch will make the game run even worse and we will wonder why they bothered.

Top Bottom