• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Cyborg

I finally felled the final boss last night with the Guard and poke strategy. I think this was one of the most fun DLCs I have ever played. I think I have a things to go clean up, but the Boss fights inn this game are wonderful.

I will post my battle later.
Congrats.

I do think that the last boss is just unfair and bad. The boss has insane moves (so over the top) that a regular gamer just cant enjoy it.

Saber

Congrats.

I do think that the last boss is just unfair and bad. The boss has insane moves (so over the top) that a regular gamer just cant enjoy it.

My main gripe is that the boss has insane amount of hp(way more than the last boss of the main game) and the second phase its just an abusive spam of blinding lights that never seems to stop. The first part is fine as long you learn to dodge his weird follow ups or have a good shield. Someone really wanted to exalt his second part for some reason.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Congrats.

That’s why I turtled and tanked up myself. I couldn’t spend the time to learn him and use my actual build.

And I did finish Sekiro which gives you no other choice but learn and react appropriately.

I just didn’t have it in me to go for a “fair” fight. Well, everything’s fair if the tools are there for you.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Congrats.

It is certainly a challenge. I had to change my strategies and adjust. But it took me about 3 hours to finally get it done. I ended up using no summons and a Mimic.

Kurotri

I have heard of this shield and poke strategy. Does anyone know how a Blasphemous Blade build would fair up against him? I was looking to do that.

Antwix

I have heard of this shield and poke strategy. Does anyone know how a Blasphemous Blade build would fair up against him? I was looking to do that.
It's always been the best weapon in the game (aside from bugs/exploits). It's still the best weapon in the game. AND there's the new dlc talisman that boosts it's damage even further lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished the DLC again on NG+ with the Ancient Meteoric Ore Greatsword +25. Bosses were much more manageable this time around with max shadow blessing. AR was well over 2,000. Weird to go back to the base game and have a little over 1,000 AR, but still plowing through the main story bosses.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
With a shield? Sure fine.

On its own? My buddy said he did it with a mimic but solo there’s no chance. Keep in mind he’s a scrub.

A lot of phase 2 completion if it isn’t a shield is some form of massive bleed or making him stagger. You can still die easily if clipped…

Is it doable with BB? Yes. Do you have to play better than a shield poke ? Absolutely.

Kurotri

It's always been the best weapon in the game (aside from bugs/exploits). It's still the best weapon in the game. AND there's the new dlc talisman that boosts it's damage even further lol
With a shield? Sure fine.

On its own? My buddy said he did it with a mimic but solo there’s no chance. Keep in mind he’s a scrub.

A lot of phase 2 completion if it isn’t a shield is some form of massive bleed or making him stagger. You can still die easily if clipped…

Is it doable with BB? Yes. Do you have to play better than a shield poke ? Absolutely.
Thanks guys. I'll try it out. Push comes to shove I'll try again with the Fingerprint Shield that people have been talking about. That second phase really is no joke..

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I started using Milady, have it upgraded to Milady+25, and attached the wing stance ash of war, with cold affinity. Is that the best affinity for it, or is blood or a different one better?

The_hunter

I started using Milady, have it upgraded to Milady+25, and attached the wing stance ash of war, with cold affinity. Is that the best affinity for it, or is blood or a different one better?
Affinities give you different weapon scaling, so it depends what your stats are.

If you are INT build, frost. If you are ARC build, blood.

Both blood and cold both do % damage, I believe a frosted enemy takes extra damage from attacks for a short while, while blood does more upfront % damage.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll try it out. Push comes to shove I'll try again with the Fingerprint Shield that people have been talking about. That second phase really is no joke..

Either you need extreme reflexes to avoid his attacks and then land yours safely or you need a way to attack while blocking. I had some luck with Great Stars with Prayerful strike ashes as I was able to heal while attacking but could only get him to about 30% of his health and would eventually make a mistake and die.

Last edited:

Arsic

Either you need extreme reflexes to avoid his attacks and then land yours safely or you need a way to attack while blocking. I had some luck with Great Stars with Prayerful strike ashes as I was able to heal while attacking but could only get him to about 30% oh his health and would eventually make a mistake and die.
I’ve seen the usual suspects do YT videos of no hit successful runs, but you know that is a lucky run for even them.

There’s no “let me solo him” here where no hits take place 20 times in a row or something lol.

I’ve seen the usual suspects do YT videos of no hit successful runs, but you know that is a lucky run for even them.

There’s no “let me solo him” here where no hits take place 20 times in a row or something lol.

Usual suspect as in ONGBAL doing RL1 no hit runs? :messenger_winking_tongue:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Thinking of doing a respec of my current character (level 334) and building one based on using Milady and wing stance ash and i want to create a super strong character i can use to tear through regular enemies and give me a decent chance at most if not all of the bosses. Ive never respec'd before lol so a couple questions:

1) Once i do so, do i get all the points ive used up to now that got me to level 334 back again, and then i can reallocate them where i wish up to my level 334?
2) If anyone has done this for a Milady build, how would you recommend i allocate the points? Also which affinity would you say is the best one for pure damage?

The_hunter

Thinking of doing a respec of my current character (level 334) and building one based on using Milady and wing stance ash and i want to create a super strong character i can use to tear through regular enemies and give me a decent chance at most if not all of the bosses. Ive never respec'd before lol so a couple questions:

1) Once i do so, do i get all the points ive used up to now that got me to level 334 back again, and then i can reallocate them where i wish up to my level 334?
2) If anyone has done this for a Milady build, how would you recommend i allocate the points? Also which affinity would you say is the best one for pure damage?
1. yes you gain all your points up to 334

Kurotri

Well..uh..the Blasphemous Blade thing didn't work out. It's not the damage output per se, but I just cannot deal with his insane combos. Time to use the Fingerprint Shield.

ikbalCO

After 14 hours (literally) on that last fucking boss. I finally did it. Beat that fucker.

This was one of the most ridduculus and unfair gaming moments of all time for me. I usually feel immense triumph when i beat a fromsoft boss but this one only brought me some relief. Relief that i dont have to play this fight again. Shame on fromsoft part really.

For the lore reveal at the end

this ending makes miqella and melania the biggest villans in the er universe in my opinion. Manupulation, sabotage and they nuked an entire continent just to bring radahns soul to shadow land? Yeah, fuck them…

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I almost had him with danes footwork, theyre legit. Best attempt so far at 10 % health but I forgot to heal up.
No joke below is how i had him :D
kdS7jnz.jpeg
Bh22S0T.jpeg

With a focus on stamina, when you are guarding he can not hurt you. Blocking with light attacks. And a lot of patience

Last edited:

Antwix

Just finished the base game on yet another character (int caster). I feel cheated on Elden Beast cuz my last cast killed him and his killed me so I got his remembrance but not the runes haha. I might go with one of my other characters to do my 2nd dlc run though. But anyway, looking at the remembrances of the base game and dlc, they are absolutely trash for int lol. I feel bad for anyone who mains intelligence. There's like 2 things in base+dlc that are good.

The_hunter

Just finished the base game on yet another character (int caster). I feel cheated on Elden Beast cuz my last cast killed him and his killed me so I got his remembrance but not the runes haha. I might go with one of my other characters to do my 2nd dlc run though. But anyway, looking at the remembrances of the base game and dlc, they are absolutely trash for int lol. I feel bad for anyone who mains intelligence. There's like 2 things in base+dlc that are good.
I was a INT character:messenger_loudly_crying:

Most of the good stuff is not from the remembrances.

Last edited:

Kurotri

I finally beat him after switching to the shield poke strategy. Took 2 tries, only failed the first try because I got grabbed twice. It's insanely OP, there's nothing he can do about it.

I have to say, the DLC all in all was *excellent*. They did a fantastic job with it. If the base game is a 10, the DLC is a 9. It almost feels like a sequel as some have already mentioned due to the sheer size of it. To me, the biggest reasons as to why it's not on the same level quality-wise is simply because I took huge issue with the rewarding system. They designed this DLC in a way where I felt they push exploration much harder, yet while the exploration itself is amazing, the actual rewards for it were very lacklustre. Almost nothing that I picked up was of any use to me, though that might be just a subjective case of course. Oh, and what's with certain places that are just..empty? Like Charo's Hidden Grave. There's nothing there :messenger_grinning_sweat: That, and obviously the final boss himself. Even after beating him I feel like they went too far. I have beaten many notorious bosses be it Isshin, Malenia, Nameless King, Ornstein and Smough and what have you, but I always felt they were well designed and I just sucked ass. This is the first time I felt like it wasn't my fault at all, so I have no qualms about pushing his shit in with the poke strategy. I could write a whole wall of text but the issues, everyone already knows.

It's weird because these issues seem very easily fixable. I'm obviously not an expert nor some insane player like Ongbal but if you were to ask me all they need to do is give the player a little bit more breathing room. That's it. And maybe have the act of summoning be helpful to the player and not the boss lol. Why is it that summons make the fight *harder* not easier? It defeats the purpose of it. Oh and on PC specifically, goddamn. There's a specific AOE attack he does that completely tanks the FPS. Sad it hasn't been fixed yet.

I also gotta admit that I have come to actually like Messmer after sleeping a few nights over it, he's a great boss. I think I was just not ready to properly learn his moveset at the time. They managed to make some good ass bosses in this DLC. Just the specific case of that last boss sticks out like a sore thumb.

If anyone wants a good short video for the build I used, this guy has you covered:

But be warned, it REALLY destroys him quick and easy. If you want him to still be a challenge, I suggest you try something else!

thuGG_pl

Finally finished the DLC after 50 hours.
And I mostly love it, but I hate many of the bosses. I don't like that they wanted to outdo themselves in terms of difficulty. It's just too much.
The main bosses are oveagressive, spamming all the time, never ending combos, followed by some AOE bullshit, closing distance in one jump. You cannot make space to breethe and heal.
To me they lost the plot thinking that constantly raising the difficulty is the way to go. I found DS3 level of difficulty pretty spot on and the fights were fair.
Most of the bosses I defeated without summons and spirits, but with Bayle and the last boss I had enough and used help.

So defeating many of the bosses I didn't feel any gratification or that I "got gud", I just felt that I got lucky and was happy that it's over.

All in all a huge DLC with beautiful world, great map design and terrible bosses. But at the same time those boss fights are really beatiful.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I finally beat him after switching to the shield poke strategy. Took 2 tries, only failed the first try because I got grabbed twice. It's insanely OP, there's nothing he can do about it.

I have to say, the DLC all in all was *excellent*. They did a fantastic job with it. If the base game is a 10, the DLC is a 9. It almost feels like a sequel as some have already mentioned due to the sheer size of it. To me, the biggest reasons as to why it's not on the same level quality-wise is simply because I took huge issue with the rewarding system. They designed this DLC in a way where I felt they push exploration much harder, yet while the exploration itself is amazing, the actual rewards for it were very lacklustre. Almost nothing that I picked up was of any use to me, though that might be just a subjective case of course. Oh, and what's with certain places that are just..empty? Like Charo's Hidden Grave. There's nothing there :messenger_grinning_sweat: That, and obviously the final boss himself. Even after beating him I feel like they went too far. I have beaten many notorious bosses be it Isshin, Malenia, Nameless King, Ornstein and Smough and what have you, but I always felt they were well designed and I just sucked ass. This is the first time I felt like it wasn't my fault at all, so I have no qualms about pushing his shit in with the poke strategy. I could write a whole wall of text but the issues, everyone already knows.

It's weird because these issues seem very easily fixable. I'm obviously not an expert nor some insane player like Ongbal but if you were to ask me all they need to do is give the player a little bit more breathing room. That's it. And maybe have the act of summoning be helpful to the player and not the boss lol. Why is it that summons make the fight *harder* not easier? It defeats the purpose of it. Oh and on PC specifically, goddamn. There's a specific AOE attack he does that completely tanks the FPS. Sad it hasn't been fixed yet.

I also gotta admit that I have come to actually like Messmer after sleeping a few nights over it, he's a great boss. I think I was just not ready to properly learn his moveset at the time. They managed to make some good ass bosses in this DLC. Just the specific case of that last boss sticks out like a sore thumb.

If anyone wants a good short video for the build I used, this guy has you covered:

But be warned, it REALLY destroys him quick and easy. If you want him to still be a challenge, I suggest you try something else!

Well done either way. I came across Ongbals video yesterday and its great for learning where the windows to attack show up. Depending on the speed of your weapon, some might not apply. A couple of things I noticed: they are using the crucible feather ring, and during the T posing build-up you can jump on the spot to avoid damage instead of running away.

Yeah Messmer is a cool boss although the hornsent made it super easy. Personally Midra was a high point, and the whole mansion.

Soodanim

Will someone people tell me what the fuck I'm supposed to do against the infinite range vortex spam casting cunts in the last dungeon? Line of sight means fuck all to these annoying pieces of shit

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Man fuck that shield in the video lol......the hell i had to go through to get that thing. Took me a ton of tries to not keep jumping to my death but i got it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Soodanim

Run and melee them.
But running just means they spawn one on you. I can't wait to see someone try a no hit run against those pricks, watch so many get ended at that point.

In other news, it is with absolutely no regret whatsoever that I abused the fuck out of my mimic for the first time in this DLC, loading it up with all the OP items I could find. Marika's heal, Sunwarmth, super sleep... I stopped giving a shit. I also abused Blind Spot. The fight I used it on was all the NPCs playing fucking gank squad. What is this, the forest in Dark Souls 1?. It feels like the game wants you to do that with how it presents it.

Orbital2060

But running just means they spawn one on you. I can't wait to see someone try a no hit run against those pricks, watch so many get ended at that point.

In other news, it is with absolutely no regret whatsoever that I abused the fuck out of my mimic for the first time in this DLC, loading it up with all the OP items I could find. Marika's heal, Sunwarmth, super sleep... I stopped giving a shit. I also abused Blind Spot. The fight I used it on was all the NPCs playing fucking gank squad. What is this, the forest in Dark Souls 1?. It feels like the game wants you to do that with how it presents it.

jim carrey GIF

R6Rider

Gold Member

I liked the "gank" boss fight in the DLC. I summoned the characters that were available and it was an actual fun fight.

Last edited:

Fbh

Defeated Midra today, with that I think I've pretty much explored every major area and defeated all the bosses aside from the final one.
When I get back home tonight it's time to see if the final boss is really as insane as everyone is saying

Arsic

Defeated Midra today, with that I think I've pretty much explored every major area and defeated all the bosses aside from the final one.
When I get back home tonight it's time to see if the final boss is really as insane as everyone is saying
Prepare thy anus if you are just running a normal build without summons.

Boralf

I saw some guy throw a hefty rot pot on him, which brought him pretty much down to phase 2. Just a tip if you have a few of those pots laying around.

Last edited:

Saber

His tough but you guys over exaggerating. I had normal build I used for base game and I managed to beat him twice without any summons and I'm not exactly the "best" player around.

I usually agree with your posts, but please don't try bullshit me.

Antwix

His tough but you guys over exaggerating. I had normal build I used for base game and I managed to beat him twice without any summons and I'm not exactly the "best" player around.
Same. Beat him with my keen guardian swordspear. No summons or status effects or any crazy shit. Think I was at 14 or 15 blessing. Just dodging and getting in damage when there was an opening. I feel like it's the same situation as it was with Melania. Yeah the moveset is tough and seems crazy the first several times but once you start to learn it, it's of course doable.

Arsic

Same. Beat him with my keen guardian swordspear. No summons or status effects or any crazy shit. Think I was at 14 or 15 blessing. Just dodging and getting in damage when there was an opening. I feel like it's the same situation as it was with Melania. Yeah the moveset is tough and seems crazy the first several times but once you start to learn it, it's of course doable.
Come on. You’re among friends. You can tell us the truth.

You used a mimic or summoned a NPC didn’t you?

Top Bottom