• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

ikbalCO

i am amazed by how from soft games can be the scariest game with just envoirment and writings on the ground.

finally made it to the abyss and yo! had to turn off the game because of all the writings on the ground and the frenzy flames marks everywhere. Turn back now? It can even be touched? Dont let it see you? What the actuall fuck fromsoft. So creepy. The whole frenzy flame and three fingers side of the game is lowkey the creepiest arc in all of gaming.

SCB3

Man, this last boss is wrecking me at Scadu Level 13, so now consulting a map to go find some areas I've missed like the Abyssal Woods and the Avatar area, they really do hide these places well, I missed 2 fragments dropped by hippos annoyingly, so need to go back for them

SJRB

Gold Member
i am amazed by how from soft games can be the scariest game with just envoirment and writings on the ground.

finally made it to the abyss and yo! had to turn off the game because of all the writings on the ground and the frenzy flames marks everywhere. Turn back now? It can even be touched? Dont let it see you? What the actuall fuck fromsoft. So creepy. The whole frenzy flame and three fingers side of the game is lowkey the creepiest arc in all of gaming.

Yeah that place is intense. I snagged the map fragment and got out of there.

Cyborg

I just gave up on Messmer and summoned my mimic. I was super close (he had 1% health left) then he killed me. I just couldnt figure out his move set after 45 deaths. I just wanted to move on.

tommib

Gold Member
Last boss made me delete the game. I’ve had my share. Did basically everything but that second phase is just too much. I’m officially burned out on Elden Ring.

Can only say good things about it but I don’t have it in me to try to solve that second phase. Gg, From. You broke me.

Cyborg

You're saying it like there's some shame in summoning the mimic. Don't worry about it bro, spirit summons are a viable combat strategy.
Haha thanks! :) I just want to enjoy the game so no shame whatsoever :)! But this boss was just not clicking with me and after 45 deats, different weapons, builds I just used a mimic. I almost broke my TV after that 1% haha.

SJRB

Gold Member
Final boss second phase is such bullshit.

I don't even know how you're supposed to survive that first barrage of attacks, if you don't perfectly time your first dodge you're basically stunlocked.

The anime attack is ridiculous.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member

I don't even know how you're supposed to survive that first barrage of attacks, if you don't perfectly time your first dodge you're basically stunlocked.
You can run from the center and try not to get hit. And block. What comes after is much worse.

I don’t have it in me. Good luck!

Fake

Gold Member

First phase is OK, considering the reskin use the patern is fair good.

Adding pillars of light in the second phase is bs imo.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
tommib tommib SJRB SJRB go back there and beat that twink's ass, now.

That shit is fearsome and intimidating at first for sure, but once you realize it's basically the same combos from the 1st stage and that all you have to do to avoid the light is stay close to the boss, you'll have it under control. Roll through the laser discs, block or run away from the T-posing holy AOE explosion, equip the custom potion with the ability to take way less damage and heal when damage perks and use that to avoid the meteor strike (not the little purple meteors, he turns into a meteor when he has 1/4 health left).

There's a few bullshit moves, for those I recommend maxing out your holy damage resistance and block like a turtle.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

I wrote about it in the gitgud thread, but IMO the whole trick is to learn dodging under his right arm. Most of the light pillar follow ups happen towards his left (your right) so like in general his right (your left facing him) is way safer.

You can run from the center and try not to get hit. And block. What comes after is much worse.

I don’t have it in me. Good luck!
bro if you change your mind hit me up over the weekend I'm always happy to team up

tommib

Gold Member
tommib tommib SJRB SJRB go back there and beat that twink's ass, now.

That shit is fearsome and intimidating at first for sure, but once you realize it's basically the same combos from the 1st stage and that all you have to do to avoid the light is stay close to the boss, you'll have it under control. Roll through the laser discs, block or run away from the T-posing holy AOE explosion, equip the custom potion with the ability to take way less damage and heal when damage perks and use that to avoid the meteor strike (not the little purple meteors, he turns into a meteor when he has 1/4 health left).

There's a few bullshit moves, for those I recommend maxing out your holy damage resistance and block like a turtle.
I was reading the thread and thinking if I should reinstall it to try.

Ok, just because of you.

tommib

Gold Member
I wrote about it in the gitgud thread, but IMO the whole trick is to learn dodging under his right arm. Most of the light pillar follow ups happen towards his left (your right) so like in general his right (your left facing him) is way safer.

bro if you change your mind hit me up over the weekend I'm always happy to team up
I thought of you, to be honest. What time is best. :D

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sure thing. Tomorrow afternoon-ish CEST. In the meantime it's worth practicing his first phase if you plan playing today especially dodge to the left (under his right arm), which may feel counterintuitive but helps greatly in phase 2.
Really agree on this. 1st phase should be perfected to the point of not needing even a single crimson flask if you want a chance at the 2nd one.

1st phase is basically the warm up. :goog_relieved:

tommib

Gold Member
Sure thing. Tomorrow afternoon-ish CEST. In the meantime it's worth practicing his first phase if you plan playing today especially dodge to the left (under his right arm), which may feel counterintuitive but helps greatly in phase 2.
First phase is easy for me. I just walk back, dodge, block, and only attack when he’s focused on my mimic. Phase 2 is hell on earth.

Bartski

Gold Member
First phase is easy for me. I just walk back, dodge, block, and only attack when he’s focused on my mimic. Phase 2 is hell on earth.
ok, so playing with the mimic, this is rather common knowledge but keeping him alive long enough is the trick, so morgot's rune (enabled by rune fragment before the fight) for more health + if you hold some rarest buffing consumables in quick access slots (stuff like blessing of markia or sacred body flesh) he's gonna have them too and eat them. My first successful attempt was with a mimic and Ansbach and I used team heal

TintoConCasera

If I were you, I'd try to master the 1st phase without summons, and save the mimic bro for the 2nd one.

Good luck!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Make a tank build and poke him to death.

Its really that simple.

You get 9 larval tears in the DLC area for a reason.
This method is lame compared to just Thrust Shield.

Not only is it faster, but it's also much easier to do.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This method is lame compared to just Thrust Shield.

Not only is it faster, but it's also much easier to do.

How is it "lame" ?

Failing to invest in extra endurance is a really bad habit carried over from the older FROM titles where tank builds weren't viable.

Spend the points and look for other ways to improve DPS, because its good to actually have the option to use the heaviest gear, and outside of that scenario never needing to waste an accessory slot on Arsenal charm or similar.

In Elden Ring you also have the ability to evade damage by jumping, which is a pretty big hint that rolling through attacks isn't as valuable as it once was.

Stand and bang. Sure you can peek-a-boo it with thrusting weapons if you want to play it safe, but you can also block and wait for openings and punish.

I just gave up on Messmer and summoned my mimic. I was super close (he had 1% health left) then he killed me. I just couldnt figure out his move set after 45 deaths. I just wanted to move on.
This was my strategy to beat him without having to memorize all of his moves:

ebevan91

When I fight bosses I try a few times to beat them without the mimic. Eventually if I'm getting close to beating them but don't think I will then I'll summon the mimic for the final push.

R6Rider

Gold Member
How is it "lame" ?

Failing to invest in extra endurance is a really bad habit carried over from the older FROM titles where tank builds weren't viable.

Spend the points and look for other ways to improve DPS, because its good to actually have the option to use the heaviest gear, and outside of that scenario never needing to waste an accessory slot on Arsenal charm or similar.

In Elden Ring you also have the ability to evade damage by jumping, which is a pretty big hint that rolling through attacks isn't as valuable as it once was.

Stand and bang. Sure you can peek-a-boo it with thrusting weapons if you want to play it safe, but you can also block and wait for openings and punish.
Thrusting shield is the new weapon type.

You literally can attack while blocking with your shield at the same time with JUST the shield. All you need is your choice of one of two new shields and slap on a few talismans to negate not physical damage.

Done.

You can even block his meteor attack with these things. You can easily dish out thousands of damage in seconds by dimply spamming one button and then letting stamina recharge.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Thrusting shield is the new weapon type.

You literally can attack while blocking with your shield at the same time with JUST the shield. All you need is your choice of one of two new shields and slap on a few talismans to negate not physical damage.

Done.

You can even block his meteor attack with these things. You can easily dish out thousands of damage in seconds by dimply spamming one button and then letting stamina recharge.

I have both of the thrusting shields, but I prefer the option of wearing any sort of equipment in the game be they armour, shields, or powerstancing with heavy weapons. All of which high endurance gives me.

Its better because it gives more options. No one cares how you win in PvE, so why restrict your build possibilities?

Sorry, but its funny to me how a lot of people seem to fixate on making glass cannon builds and then complain about getting smashed!

ikbalCO

LoL, why are some of you guys so hang up on summons?

Whenever that silvery goodness of summon appear on the lower left, i be summoning.

How else are you suppose to heal when dlc bosses are attacking so relentlessly

Whenever that silvery goodness of summon appear on the lower left, i be summoning.

Yeah I don't understand. Fun for me is to summon my spirirts and all available npc cummons. I know it increases boss health but only then I get the feeling of "Visions of beating to a pulp".

TintoConCasera

I like the challenge of facing a boss 1 on 1.

When you summon, the boss attention will go to the summon and you are able to land many hits without any issue, which to me is super lame since for me the fun comes from mastering the boss moveset and be able to beat them on my own, which imo is what they are designed for.

Knowing when to heal or not is part of the challenge too.

Obviously anyone is free to play however the fuck they want, as long as they are having fun.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like the challenge of facing a boss 1 on 1.

When you summon, the boss attention will go to the summon and you are able to land many hits without any issue, which to me is super lame since for me the fun comes from mastering the boss moveset and be able to beat them on my own, which imo is what they are designed for.

Knowing when to heal or not is part of the challenge too.

Obviously anyone is free to play however the fuck they want, as long as they are having fun.
This, it’s basically same reason why I don’t play Monster Hunter with other people. The fun of the fight is dealing with boss’s attack patterns come up with the way to avoid them and counter it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I keep seeing the Impenetrable Thorns builds pop up. I take it it procs bleed with each row of thorns and can one shot many different things. My only gripe is you are stationary during the whole move.

I keep seeing the Impenetrable Thorns builds pop up. I take it it procs bleed with each row of thorns and can one shot many different things. My only gripe is you are stationary during the whole move.
It does so much damage the bleed is more of a bonus. It has insane range and only costs 15 FP. It's still good even if you don't build arcane. I beat final boss using this with 80 int and only 20 arc.

Trogdor1123

Thinking about an Elden ring 2, what do you think the canonical ending is? I’m thinking the chaos one isn’t it but I’m unsure of the rest. I’d lean towards the dung eater ending as being the accurate one.

It does so much damage the bleed is more of a bonus. It has insane range and only costs 15 FP. It's still good even if you don't build arcane. I beat final boss using this with 80 int and only 20 arc.
I've beaten radahn about 50 times with randoms with my shield and poker, only people I hate helping are the thorns spammers. People get caught in that animation so often and they're usually dead immediately.

I've beaten radahn about 50 times with randoms with my shield and poker, only people I hate helping are the thorns spammers. People get caught in that animation so often and they're usually dead immediately.
lol if they are spamming they are doing it wrong. Pretty much all the bosses will chase the spell caster if they get hit with the spell twice. With radahn its especially dangerous given how fast he can close distances.
I find that spamming the thorns from range is rather suboptimal. To maximize damage and bleed procs, you have to stay somewhat close to him to make sure all 3 sets of the thorns connect. And yeah the cast speed is rather slow, so you have to use radagon icon with azur staff off hand (safer than using that talisman from Ymir's quest).

lol if they are spamming they are doing it wrong. Pretty much all the bosses will chase the spell caster if they get hit with the spell twice. With radahn its especially dangerous given how fast he can close distances.
I find that spamming the thorns from range is rather suboptimal. To maximize damage and bleed procs, you have to stay somewhat close to him to make sure all 3 sets of the thorns connect. And yeah the cast speed is rather slow, so you have to use radagon icon with azur staff off hand (safer than using that talisman from Ymir's quest).
And all that is why you had success with it, so many people are just using it as a crutch. If there's 2 shield and pokers it's usually fine if there's a thorn spammer, we can keep the agro most of the time.

Thinking about an Elden ring 2, what do you think the canonical ending is? I’m thinking the chaos one isn’t it but I’m unsure of the rest. I’d lean towards the dung eater ending as being the accurate one.
F2s7AGZ.jpeg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I wouldn't be surprised if this get nerfed in the future because it seems like it could be a result of a similar bug to the thing that made the perfume bottles so insanely OP. Right now if used at point-blank range all 3 "beams" of thorns hit at the same time each proccing bleeds and magnifying the effect.

Orbital2060

Wow the dragon-hunter katana works great against Bayle. I made some tests with the dragon communion incantations but they didnt seem to do much damage. I think the dragon hunter katana is more effective than the bleed katanas. It doesnt have the hemorhage popping off but instead a consistently high damage. He didnt even have time to initiate second phase.

The sheath looks damn cool, too.

ELDEN-RING-2024-07-13-13-21-01.png

Ive been trying out some other weapons than the katana combo with bleed affinity. Upgraded marikas hammer and oh boy its amazing. Went back to Rakshasa and destroyed them with gold breaker. And I stuck the divine beast frost stomp on the great katana and that too is super nice. You can charge the stomp up to cover a wider area, thats awesome. The hoar stomp passed me by in the main game and I can see how it works really well in some situations. Its basically the same as the stomp the horned warriors do, but with a smaller range alas. Its still great. The frost build up is nice, and with cold affinity it has both the innate bleed build up plus the generous frost build up as well.

Another combo I came across is the divine beast talisman with the horned warrior curved greatsword. The skill on that is the wind AoW that they call on and its awesome. Can chain two more inputs after the first one.

There are a couple of places on the map where I cant figure out how to get to:

In Ruah, how do you get on the lower broken high road that runs across the place from ancient ruins west to ancient ruins east graces?

ELDEN-RING-2024-07-13-10-21-20.png

This is looking at the (1) marker from the bottom left corner on the map.

ELDEN-RING-2024-07-13-10-19-56.png

Because I dont think Ive explored that part on the eastern side yet, and there is a building jutting out some ways down the side you can see from temple town below, on the diamond mark.

And in Abyssal Woods, is there a way to go south of Midras Manse? Because there is a large area unexplored and I dont know how to get there, or the forest area up and to the west of it with a fire giant walking around. Maybe there is an entrance from the north that I missed?

ELDEN-RING-2024-07-13-10-22-09.png

Last edited:
1st one from Rauh ancient ruins, west you go inside up the steps and take the lift up. Then outside there is a drop on the left onto some arches. Just work your way around to another lift.

Top Bottom