• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING: Shadow Of The Erdtree |OT| ⋆☽ Delve Into The Land Of Shadowy Embrace ✰ The Age Of Stars Is Almost Upon Us! ☾⋆

Its not. This guy was renown for holding the fucking stars and he still needs Miquella to get some holy boost. Even lore wise, the fight was garbage. He's the son of Radagon which btw its queen Marika herself. A master of stars, and gravity and all he does is throw some rocks at you. The hype did not deliver but then again, nothing in the DLC did.

Messmer was in the same boat. Another overhyped boss who initially seems cool, but once you see his laughable buggish second phase and how weak the fight overall was, you just just kinda meh at the whole thing. The serpents missed me like 80% of the time sometimes without even moving and I've seen videos of them bugging completely. Half-assed bosses.

Do you even like ER? I see nothing but spiteful comments coming from you

Do you even like ER? I see nothing but spiteful comments coming from you

I liked it enough to do all its achievements and play it 3 times, but the DLC, no, I didnt like anything about it. Base game was like a 7.5 out of 10 for me, but the DLC? a 5. It soured my mood so much that I dont think Ill ever touch the game ever again.

I liked it enough to do all its achievements and play it 3 times, but the DLC, no, I didnt like anything about it. Base game was like a 7.5 out of 10 for me, but the DLC? a 5. It soured my mood so much that I dont think Ill ever touch the game ever again.

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if Shadow will really be the only DLC for this game. I really hope From will surprise us one way or another.

thuGG_pl

Fair enough.

Meanwhile, I am wondering if Shadow will really be the only DLC for this game. I really hope From will surprise us one way or another.

I hope they are working on some next project. The DLC felt like it was done by some B team TBH, it doesn't reach the quality of the base game. It's just shallow in many areas:
- many empty spaces
- too many recipes as loot
- many legendary items ends up being crafting materials
- NPC questlines mostly forgetable and not engaging
- many bosses didn't get proper animations/introductions
- dissapointing finale and the outro we got

At least the world design and the vistas were great. Still it's very good souls game, but a step down after base.

Fake

Gold Member
I do agree about this DLC wasn't made by the same team behind the base game. It is extremely apparent. We just need to the honeymoon phase is over for people being more critical about the DLC state.

Again, coming from someone who gave 10/10 for the base game, even with flaws.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I hope they are working on some next project. The DLC felt like it was done by some B team TBH, it doesn't reach the quality of the base game. It's just shallow in many areas:
- many empty spaces
- too many recipes as loot
- many legendary items ends up being crafting materials
- NPC questlines mostly forgetable and not engaging
- many bosses didn't get proper animations/introductions
- dissapointing finale and the outro we got

At least the world design and the vistas were great. Still it's very good souls game, but a step down after base.
Even the intro to the DLC location was bad.

You teleport and are plopped right in and your character is just standing there. Very odd choice.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I do agree about this DLC wasn't made by the same team behind the base game. It is extremely apparent. We just need to the honeymoon phase is over for people being more critical about the DLC state.

Again, coming from someone who gave 10/10 for the base game, even with flaws.
While I enjoy the dlc I too wouldn’t say it’s above a 8.5/10. The base game is definitely a 9.5.

There are things here that I feel elevates the formula here like a more condensed map with layers over the long sprawling nature of the base map.

I think a boss like Bayle is a top experience here thanks to Igons dialogue.

The visuals are nice, the dlc npcs, and some of the best music in the game is in the dlc.

If the final boss was better from a gameplay perspective, and better rewards when exploring, they would’ve nailed it.

Antwix

You teleport and are plopped right in and your character is just standing there. Very odd choice.
I was expecting you to touch the arm and a magical coffin appears out of nowhere and you float majestically off into the distance. From seems to like magical coffins.

I haven't heard this theory yet. Isn't it heavily implied that Melina is Messmer's brother ?
Malenia and Miquella are bro/sis to Messmer. Its a stupid lore and Im surprised the far right and a lot of gaffers here dont hate the game considering it has extremely heavy transgender influences: Marika being both a man and a woman, Miquella voice/body, of a woman but its a male and so many more.

MagnesD3

Yeah I had a bad feeling off the get go because of how unceramonious it was.

I was expecting you to touch the arm and a magical coffin appears out of nowhere and you float majestically off into the distance. From seems to like magical coffins.
Dude they gave a coffin cutscene over an hand cutscene in the dlc lol

Last edited:

Soodanim

Malenia and Miquella are bro/sis to Messmer. Its a stupid lore and Im surprised the far right and a lot of gaffers here dont hate the game considering it has extremely heavy transgender influences: Marika being both a man and a woman, Miquella voice/body, of a woman but its a male and so many more.
There would likely be a couple different reasons behind any individual's reasoning, but to focus on the lore itself it has a frequently repeating theme of twos. Whether that's pairs of twins or two entities that share a soul or body the game goes about it in various ways, one of which is a man/woman split.

I suppose from the player perspective it's hardly a front and centre thing that can be perceived as existing to appease a certain crowd, which is why that sort of thing is seen as forced.

You could also say that the lack of elaboration affords the game some leeway. It's not like someone came out and said some nonsense like "Marika's suppressed transgender identity manifested itself in the form of Radagon", and I don't think anyone actually thinks that. Radagon just appeared and we piece together what we can which is that Radagon is Marika but also not which is why they're able to fuck but only make cursed babies because they're the same person on some level but haven't merged yet (until they merged).

Miquella is even more obscure, and the DLC isn't particularly illuminating when it comes to his androgynous self other than him discarding St Trina which is some sort of deformed blossoming sleep creature.

The whole game is just a mad mix of multiple personalities manifested, and who knows what GRRM was smoking.

MagnesD3

What I take from it is Radagon was created the moment Marika became a god, Radagon was born of the traits she wanted to be discarded like her mortality, any masculinity and red hair. I think it was a similar process to how Miquella stripped himself of his entire flesh except instead of discarding pieces of herself she just had them enveloped into a whole person. In the conversation that Melina talks about Marika and Radagon discussing "you have yet to become me" in the bedchamber of lyndell I think that at some point they became one person again for some reason which is why we see what happens in the final boss area, I dont know why they became one again though.

Last edited:
There would likely be a couple different reasons behind any individual's reasoning, but to focus on the lore itself it has a frequently repeating theme of twos. Whether that's pairs of twins or two entities that share a soul or body the game goes about it in various ways, one of which is a man/woman split.

I suppose from the player perspective it's hardly a front and centre thing that can be perceived as existing to appease a certain crowd, which is why that sort of thing is seen as forced.

You could also say that the lack of elaboration affords the game some leeway. It's not like someone came out and said some nonsense like "Marika's suppressed transgender identity manifested itself in the form of Radagon", and I don't think anyone actually thinks that. Radagon just appeared and we piece together what we can which is that Radagon is Marika but also not which is why they're able to fuck but only make cursed babies because they're the same person on some level but haven't merged yet (until they merged).

Miquella is even more obscure, and the DLC isn't particularly illuminating when it comes to his androgynous self other than him discarding St Trina which is some sort of deformed blossoming sleep creature.

The whole game is just a mad mix of multiple personalities manifested, and who knows what GRRM was smoking.
What I take from it is Radagon was created the moment Marika became a god, Radagon was born of the traits she wanted to be discarded like her mortality, any masculinity and red hair. I think it was a similar process to how Miquella stripped himself of his entire flesh except instead of discarding pieces of herself she just had them enveloped into a whole person.

Theres a lot you can take from it if you dive deep into it, besides the androginy/trasngender aspects, it's also a disturbed incest type of story because kids born out of incest become ugly, hence Mohg and the others who were forced to live underground, but yeah, I didnt like it and I got quite invested in its lore.

MagnesD3

Theres a lot you can take from it if you dive deep into it, besides the androginy/trasngender aspects, it's also a disturbed incest type of story because kids born out of incest become ugly, hence Mohg and the others who were forced to live underground, but yeah, I didnt like it and I got quite invested in its lore.
I mean incest isnt good and it obviously takes from GRRM's other stuff and from old medieval king/queen stuff. It's an interesting twist though that the empyreans all come from the Godcest minus Ranni. Also Mohg isnt from incest, he just got screwed over by the Omen curse (or blessing according to the hornsent).

Last edited:

Soodanim

I know you're soured on it, but I think the DLC does add a quite interesting dimension to the story as a whole by making the horned ones a self-righteous "chosen" people that slaughtered her village with their torturous sacrificing ways. It adds motive behind the hate for the horned (for better or worse, depending on what you think it does for Marika.

BTW Mohg and Morgott are Godfrey's kids, so their "curse" isn't from semi-asexual god reproduction.

Speaking of incest, personally I don't quite buy the idea that Miquella wants to fuck Radahn. I get the impression that it's more of a boss & enforcer type situation. I was right about that with Mohg too, he wasn't trying to fuck despite what everyone said about the "Mohglester" for so long. It was about the goal he wanted to achieve, we just didn't know what that goal was until the DLC. And now we do, Miquella isn't trying to make incest god babies or he'd have chosen Malenia and fixed her Scarlet Rot through his ascention instead.

I know I'm saying this about a GRRM story, and that feels like pissing in the wind uphill.

Fake

Gold Member
Just got to Radahn,the first phase is easy enough,but the second is complete bullshit.I thought the DLC was amazing up to this point,but the Radahn fight has ruined it a bit

Me both. Radahn totally destroyed the DLC for me.

Bartski

Gold Member
LMAO yeah I was kinda waiting for someone to point it out, somehow this plot isn't woke at all among local woke-snipers despite the whole thing being about Miquella, an androgyne voiced by Naomi McDonald, arranging his ascension to godhood via incest with his resurrected brother, using Mogh's corpse whom he seduced into gay romance. Don't get me started with Marika and Radagon

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
LMAO yeah I was kinda waiting for someone to point it out, somehow this plot isn't woke at all among local woke-snipers despite the whole thing being about Miquella, an androgyne voiced by Naomi McDonald, arranging his ascension to godhood via incest with his resurrected brother, using Mogh's corpse whom he seduced into gay romance. Don't get me started with Marika and Radagon
If you think about it. Gods do that kind of stuff. They don’t have to abide by the norm. I have put 200 hours and obtained the Platinum and this is like the only time I really thought about this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This literally Shiva and his wife Pravati merging to one being...similar to Marika and Radegon
n2tMRtQ.png

This not uncommon with gods in mythology.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I think it's interesting to note how quickly this thread stopped being constant front page material. I suppose that says something about the DLC.

But now that the dust has settled we're now getting the optimisation of boss fights, where people are over the "It's so hard" phase. Doesn't stop the last boss being spammy, of course.

Personally I just decided to go back to my first DLC character and finish off the remaining bosses. I had a really good time using a deflect/guard counter play style against Godfrey & Radagon, then did my first Torrent enabled fight against Elden Beast (nearly hitless without even trying). Died a few times against Godfrey, but only died once or twice against Radagon. Both really fun fights with the new tear, and of course Light Greatswords are great to take back into the base game. So much fun.

I've decided to do my new NG+ run as a Messmer cosplay, but having fun with it trying to be stylish doing things like using Messmer's Orb to counter ground attacks etc.

I suppose that says something about the DLC.

Not just on gaf. I have a friend who can't even finish it, not because it's hard, but because he's severely bored by it and he finished the base game 4 times or so. We both joked that the DLC feels like it was made by the second team, the Dark Souls 2 one who know the engine but lacked the "feel" of the base game. What's even funnier after talking about that, more posts online showed up comparing a lot of the areas and movesets of ER are exactly the same from DS2. Anyway, maybe one day ill go back to playing the game again with some dumb shit build like bows only.

Soodanim

Not just on gaf. I have a friend who can't even finish it, not because it's hard, but because he's severely bored by it and he finished the base game 4 times or so. We both joked that the DLC feels like it was made by the second team, the Dark Souls 2 one who know the engine but lacked the "feel" of the base game. What's even funnier after talking about that, more posts online showed up comparing a lot of the areas and movesets of ER are exactly the same from DS2. Anyway, maybe one day I'll go back to playing the game again with some dumb shit build like bows only.
And you may well be right, I see where you're coming from. I still maintain that there's been some hyperbole from the internet, but there's no exaggeration when it comes to sheer indifference.

I don't regret paying my money as I have had a full game's worth of playtime from it and I have new toys to play with, but what I've noticed is that I've become less interested in actually playing the DLC. I just want new gear for the base game. My next DLC playthrough on NG+ (if I get that far) will primarily be getting what I didn't get from NPC quests as my first character is essentially my 100% collection save.

I think one reason for the DLC's lack of interest is the difficulty scaling. It's something that affected the bass game to a lesser extent and is a consequence of being open world, and having the DLC be end game placed and scaled has swapped out enjoyment for frustration. People don't want to be 2-shot by bosses, especially after a break from the game. The Souls gameplay loop has you die a lot, but as part of a progression. This doesn't feel natural.

Reflecting on this DLC should be interesting at From's offices.

They also didn't give us boss rush like Sekiro and that's a huge missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Shodai

I think it's interesting to note how quickly this thread stopped being constant front page material. I suppose that says something about the DLC.

But now that the dust has settled we're now getting the optimisation of boss fights, where people are over the "It's so hard" phase. Doesn't stop the last boss being spammy, of course.

Personally I just decided to go back to my first DLC character and finish off the remaining bosses. I had a really good time using a deflect/guard counter play style against Godfrey & Radagon, then did my first Torrent enabled fight against Elden Beast (nearly hitless without even trying). Died a few times against Godfrey, but only died once or twice against Radagon. Both really fun fights with the new tear, and of course Light Greatswords are great to take back into the base game. So much fun.

I've decided to do my new NG+ run as a Messmer cosplay, but having fun with it trying to be stylish doing things like using Messmer's Orb to counter ground attacks etc.
It was fine, but one of the weakest FROM expansions IMO. Before it came out I had the opinion ER was better than DS3. After Shadow of the Erdtree, DS3 is back on top.

Vyse

Gold Member
It was fine, but one of the weakest FROM expansions IMO. Before it came out I had the opinion ER was better than DS3. After Shadow of the Erdtree, DS3 is back on top.
So you would suggest D3 next for me? Played Demon Souls back in the day, but never really got into these types of games. Guess I got gud in my old age.

Soodanim

So you would suggest D3 next for me? Played Demon Souls back in the day, but never really got into these types of games. Guess I got gud in my old age.
Part of me wants to say 1 before 3 because 3 is full of callbacks to 1, but the lore in DS is secondary anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

I still love 1 though, so if you're planning to then do it before 3.

As you dabbled in DeS, I would advise that DS1 felt like a direct response to DeS in that it did away with some of the more obscure/annoying aspects so you could get on with playing

Soodanim

After completing DLC I decided to do NG+ to complete PS5 trophies (already had platinum on PS4 version). This reminded me that base game has better levels and overall quality.
It really does. I love the new equipment and spells (even if perfume bottles need an extreme buff), but I don't want to play through the DLC content. It wasn't even a conscious decision, I just found myself taking new gear into the base game where it's a lot more fun. It feels more like a challenge gauntlet where the scaling is high and the content amount is lower.

I've dropped the game for now, but if I pick it up again I'm using cheat engine to give a new character the gear I want.

Bojji

It really does. I love the new equipment and spells (even if perfume bottles need an extreme buff), but I don't want to play through the DLC content. It wasn't even a conscious decision, I just found myself taking new gear into the base game where it's a lot more fun. It feels more like a challenge gauntlet where the scaling is high and the content amount is lower.

I've dropped the game for now, but if I pick it up again I'm using cheat engine to give a new character the gear I want.

There are moments in dlc that are just terrible to play, for example Rauh ruins, everything looks the same and area is massive and empty. Same is true for many optional areas, lot of copy-paste stuff and nothing worth of exploration.

I think some areas were made with Ai or some other random generator.

Compared to that many base game levels are amazing, almost dark souls quality in many castles and other important areas.

There is not much good stuff like that in SotE sadly...

Bartski

Gold Member
awesome video showing DLC finall boss hitboxes - later half in slow motion. Pretty sure those who are still struggling can find it useful to understand the fight better, especially phase 2.

edit: also Messmer

Last edited:

Bojji

I was talking about great locations from base game before... Miquella's Haligtree, completely optional yet one of the best locations in entire series!

U8wutjl.jpg
SjAEEa9.jpg

I thought magic was a bit overpowered during my first playthrough in 2022 but fuck me, bleed is on another level. Most bosses are weak to it and it just eats their healthbars, Malenia didn't stand a chance.

Some love for Melina:

VMyLSBj.jpg
F9jb9Yi.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yall weren't kidding about the final boss being some total bullshit......especially phase 2, but it's done!

fiHkiLV.jpeg

Interesting to me that....

They troll you with that big staircase only to not let you get up there. Also, what was up with that totally non existent ending? You got that shitty little memory scene and that's it lol, not even the credits. It's like the devs were at the point and didn't know how to do an ending and just said fuck it, give them a little scene and then nothing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Yall weren't kidding about the final boss being some total bullshit......especially phase 2, but it's done!

fiHkiLV.jpeg

They troll you with that big staircase only to not let you get up there. Also, what was up with that totally non existent ending? You got that shitty little memory scene and that's it lol, not even the credits. It's like the devs were at the point and didn't know how to do an ending and just said fuck it, give them a little scene and then nothing.
I had the same thoughts. I had to check online to make sure my game wasn't bugged.

"That's it?"

Lame.

The_hunter

fiHkiLV.jpeg

I also would have liked some sort of conclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom