• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Go to the target system in the description. Should be an orange icon in the galaxy map. Use your discovery scanner when in system to find what body it's near by (usually only if it's planet based IIRC) or enter the nav beacon instance, select the physical beacon in the contact menu and scan it. Then go to the target body and scan USS's and one with blue mission objective text should pop up I think. Been a while.

Hmm...so to scan the beacon i'm supposed to select it in contacts and not do the horn thing? I still don't know what that yellow/orange icon is in the navigation menu. Keeps moving around or is that where I am currently? So lost

The Cowboy

Bought back my AspX, I just can't get used to not having the glorious view - i can't wait to get a Rift and sit in it :D.

Seriously, they need that cockpit setup on a larger fighting ship (similar to an FDL or Python) ship - or they need to let me dock an AspX on the Anaconda :p.

Grief.exe

Bought back my AspX, I just can't get used to not having the glorious view - i can't wait to get a Rift and sit in it :D.

Seriously, they need that cockpit setup on a larger fighting ship (similar to an FDL or Python) ship - or they need to let me dock an AspX on the Anaconda :p.

From a military perspective, any kind of glass is a liability.

I went visiting the crashed alien ship in the Pleaides Sector.

ngGwePF.jpg

ZDRfHld.jpg

9ibvFSm.jpg

DrBo42

Hmm...so to scan the beacon i'm supposed to select it in contacts and not do the horn thing? I still don't know what that yellow/orange icon is in the navigation menu. Keeps moving around or is that where I am currently? So lost

Not the orange triangle, I think the mission system is an orange globe or something like that. If you have an advanced discovery scanner, use that when in the target system. If you don't, enter the navigation beacon signal source. Once inside, go into the contacts menu and select the actual physical navigation beacon. Point yourself at it and get close enough to scan it like you do ships etc.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
OH MY GOD I JUST USED THE ALT-F10 SCREEN SHOT MODE

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

I wish I could share these screenshots here but I have no idea where I can upload a 48mb screen shot that's 5464x3072.

Every single little detail is visible here, I can see the fiber's in the carbon fiber paneling in the cockpit.

Grief.exe

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

I wish I could share these screenshots here but I have no idea where I can upload a 48mb screen shot that's 5464x3072.

Every single little detail is visible here, I can see the fiber's in the carbon fiber paneling in the cockpit.

You have to use photoshop or gimp to downsample the image to 1080p, then upload it.

I'm going to have to try this out.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You have to use photoshop or gimp to downsample the image to 1080p, then upload it.

I'm going to have to try this out.

Imma have to get gimp or something then, but yeah you really do have to try this. It only seems to work in solo mode, but my god you can actually just see every little detail.

Not the orange triangle, I think the mission system is an orange globe or something like that. If you have an advanced discovery scanner, use that when in the target system. If you don't, enter the navigation beacon signal source. Once inside, go into the contacts menu and select the actual physical navigation beacon. Point yourself at it and get close enough to scan it like you do ships etc.

I gave up on that mission. The only beacon I could see was near this white star and whenever I would get close to the beacon, the star would start frying my ship. Still wish someone could explain what that yellow icon means in the navigation window. I was pretty sure it means my location when it's blue, but sometimes it's yellow and nowhere near my location(from what I remember)

NM, I think I figured out it means things I'm closest to. It's normally bright blue, but I had changed my colors that made it yellow

went around to visit all the Roed Odegaard stations and sites, as is my duty as a norwegian, the 10 I found through eddb anyway. took some pics because my asp explorer skin is so damn good looking.

small pics and a lot of jpeg compression there. oh well

SmartBase

Well, I made it to Beagle Point. The long way around was just over 90k ly. but there really wasn't anything to see (or do) except to watch the cool changes in the galactic skybox. Might just beeline it back to the bubble now and hope I have enough data for Elite rank.

Finally got a Cap class conflict zone. It is pretty amazing to see for the first time. And it makes the CZ a lot more fun, before it was just putting out fires and pressing numbers in small fights, now though it was actually centralized with larger objectives.

Widge

As I've got an evening to play this coming up, I've been reading the OP to get an understanding of what is out there.

From what I gather, right now, there isn't too much in Horizons for a fresh faced newbie to need to fork out for the expansion yet. I read about Engineers but I don't see that in the OP.

One thing that caught my eye was that Möbius was a recommended group to play in. Is that what most of you do? Or do you just hit up solo/open?

derFeef

I CAN SEE EVERYTHING.

Flickr is pretty good about that, it also provides downscaled versions of your original photo, which is a handy feature.

JambiBum

I'm guessing nobody plays CQC? I never tried it before and I've been sitting in matchmaking for about 10 minutes now.

It's 3 am on the east coast and like 7 am UK time. You can get CQC matches during peak hours usually but not at night. The population is pretty low.

Volimar

Finally got a Cap class conflict zone. It is pretty amazing to see for the first time. And it makes the CZ a lot more fun, before it was just putting out fires and pressing numbers in small fights, now though it was actually centralized with larger objectives.

That's what I saw. Blew my mind. Didn't get to see it play out though because I kept getting too close and I got a lethal response message and noped the hell out. Neither capital ship was wanted or lawless though.

Volimar

That alien artifact is such a good selling point for Horizons. They should organize a galactic scavenger hunt, looking for more alien doohickeys.

Ships don't have gravity do they? I mean, the stations wouldn't need to spin if they had mastered artificial gravity. Which would mean that the stations that don't spin are zero-g installations. Space toilets...

Also, if you haven't seen it, The Expanse is a really good Syfy series that fits thematically with Elite Dangerous.

Twinduct

Just finished my first two slave delivery missions. Kind of been some of the most fun I had with the game. I almost got scanned as I was entering the station. Boosted and almost hit the back of the station. ASP explorer treating me nicely.

Effect

Think I'm going to go out to Soothis finally. Been going back and forth between ships and back in an Asp Explorer. I figure doing the runs out there might be the only way I get the money in a reasonable amount of time to get past this tier of ships into something like a Python. That way I have something I can do better trading in while still keeping a Cobra III on the side which is the one ship I really do like flying. I can't get pass how the inside of the Asp looks or even it's general design. Maybe it's the view which is nice just leaves me to exposed and while it's not really me it does bother me a lot design wise and it just adds to the issues I have with flying the thing. I wish the Cobra Mk IV wasn't such a piece of junk and an actual decent upgrade to the Cobra Mk III. The extra cargo space isn't worth all the other negatives.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That alien artifact is such a good selling point for Horizons. They should organize a galactic scavenger hunt, looking for more alien doohickeys.

Ships don't have gravity do they? I mean, the stations wouldn't need to spin if they had mastered artificial gravity. Which would mean that the stations that don't spin are zero-g installations. Space toilets...

Also, if you haven't seen it, The Expanse is a really good Syfy series that fits thematically with Elite Dangerous.

Yup, I've been wanting to re watch season one. Great show.

Reckheim

I picked up a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4 to play Elite. However, I just found out this is apparently ready for immanent release.

Does anyone know much about it, is it worth double the price for the extra controls?

I'm actually patiently waiting for that one as well, I think the extra buttons are worth it for Elite seeing as there are so many different functions tied to actual buttons.

I have a feeling its delayed cause they haven't mentioned anything since it was announced.

fritzon

Neo Member
I picked up a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4 to play Elite. However, I just found out this is apparently ready for immanent release.

Does anyone know much about it, is it worth double the price for the extra controls?

I'm on the verge of purchasing a T.Flight HOTAS 4 myself — does it work well with the game? Does the button prompts in-game display the Playstation symbols?

It's a hard choice. Pick that one up today or wait for the new T16000...

Septimius

I'm on the verge of purchasing a T.Flight HOTAS 4 myself — does it work well with the game? Does the button prompts in-game display the Playstation symbols?

Why not X52? Isn't the game basically tailored for it?

Reckheim

Haven't gotten to the show yet but the books are damn good. My favorite sci-fi series. Definitely has a lot of parallels with ED.

Gonna give the show a chance as well, gonna go for an exploration trip soon (I've given up waiting for frontier to add some new mechanics to exploration).

Gonna try and go for the elite rank, so wont be back for a while.

Gonna give the show a chance as well, gonna go for an exploration trip soon (I've given up waiting for frontier to add some new mechanics to exploration).

Gonna try and go for the elite rank, so wont be back for a while.
New star assets and more stuff to discover on planets is coming in October.

joecanada

Why are assassination missions always like 45 minutes away? I need to remember to check these when I log in so I can mess around first

Reckheim

New star assets and more stuff to discover on planets is coming in October.

I was hoping for new modules made for exploration. Like collecting ground samples as an example but based on Games-con I don't think they are planning anything like that so far.

Carroway

The ships that we fly in Elite does not have Artificial Gravity. Gravity is somewhat of a luxury and apparently not easy to scale down to something that is economical for playerships.

I think the only exception would be the cruiseliner ships like the Beluga, Dolphin etc.

The only thing with the Expanse is it starts slow, give it 3 eps.

Why not X52? Isn't the game basically tailored for it?

As others mentioned build quality is highly suspect. Had one for about 3 months, then the twist stopped working. Conversely I got an X-55 and it's been great so far (about 16 months).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Driving on the surface is fun. I found a massive crater that I really want to jump into, would probably kill me though.

joecanada

Anyone know of a guide for engineers ? I find it a tad annoying finding out stuff piecemeal like what bounties Todd accepts? Best ways to rank up? Where to get these materials? Etc

Edit - also do you get the srv automatically when you buy the bay?

Augustiner

Neo Member

Yes, the buttons on the Joystick do have the playstation symbols on them if that bothers you. The game does detect the HOTAS 4 automatically and has a pre-configured profile for it. It seems to be more combat focused though, so I had to make some modifications since I mainly trade. It seems like there are just enough buttons to comfortably map important things, but I had to decide between a few functions which couldn't be mapped. A few more buttons and an extra hat would really have made it perfect. No problems with build quality and performance though.

Reckheim

Anyone know of a guide for engineers ? I find it a tad annoying finding out stuff piecemeal like what bounties Todd accepts? Best ways to rank up? Where to get these materials? Etc

Edit - also do you get the srv automatically when you buy the bay?

The below website is great for pretty much everything, on the main page it even gives you an uppdates status of all the active CG's.

http://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

You have to buy an SRV separately when you purchase the bay, they are not expensive tho which is nice.

Volimar

I'm an idiot. Went out on an illegal blueprints mission, thought I might as well scoop up everything while I'm there. Went back and turned in the mission no problem and then promptly left the dock with the rest of my illicit goods still in my hold. Turned around and requested docking again and THEN I get scanned and fined. Still made a profit on the sale though.

>.>

Widge

Been doing some TrackIR research. Does anyone use this without a headset, and also in a front room setting? Not sure it will work a few feet away from the TV.

The 16000 does look cool, but my T.Flight is perfectly fine. It's been a great HOTAS for the price, so I can't see myself upgrading for now.

I feel the same way about my Asp! The best ship I ever bought, I'm so fond of it.

Top Bottom