• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The dream HOTAS, my stick is actually the exact same design just an older model.

I have heard interesting things about that stick. People seem to LOVE the action on the throttle, but apparently a lot of the internal components (like the micro switches) are made of plastic. While having an impressive all metal exterior, the plastic internals make me worried about its life span.

Unlike the CH fighter stick and throttle which has plastic exterior but full metal interior. A good CH set up is my dream.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
A good CH set up is my dream.

I have a full CH setup, pedals and all, and I can attest to the fact that it is nothing short of fucking amazing. I have owned several HOTAS setups over the years and this CH one is hands down the best. It is not the most flashy looking, but the build quality and precision and comfort are second to none that I've ever used before. Getting it literally transformed Elite for me, where as before I could not use fixed weapons at all, now I can with ease and effectiveness.

Before getting my CH I never realized how much my Saitek was holding me back.

derFeef

I have heard interesting things about that stick. People seem to LOVE the action on the throttle, but apparently a lot of the internal components (like the micro switches) are made of plastic. While having an impressive all metal exterior, the plastic internals make me worried about its life span.

Unlike the CH fighter stick and throttle which has plastic exterior but full metal interior. A good CH set up is my dream.

Doesn't that one also miss rotation on y axis?

Volimar

Who came up with the NPC names? Some noteworthy ones I've seen include Jimi Hendrix, Faye Valentine, and I kid you not, Spaghetti Monster.

"Hey we'd like our delivery sooner. There's a hefty reward if you can bring it within 0 minutes."

And where are pirates getting their hands on gunships?!!?!?

<grumble grumble grumble>

Who came up with the NPC names? Some noteworthy ones I've seen include Jimi Hendrix, Faye Valentine, and I kid you not, Spaghetti Monster.

"Hey we'd like our delivery sooner. There's a hefty reward if you can bring it within 0 minutes."

I think that Kickstarters were able to name NPC's as a reward

Lime

Have you moved or reassigned your "My Documents" folder somewhere else? For me, it's not under "Users" anymore, but the game is definitely saving them under "My Pictures\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\".

Try searching your hard drive for the files. It saves in BMP format, and the high res ones are called "HighResScreenShot" with a time stamp of when it was taken. The last one I took today is "HighResScreenShot_2016-09-05_15-28-47.bmp". Regular F10 screenshots are just called "ScreenShot" and are numbered sequentially, like "Screenshot_0041.bmp".

Thanks for your help, jedi2016, but they're just not there, even after searching the entire harddrive.

I'll probably just reinstall the game or something

EDIT: Searched all of my other harddrives and they were in another folder. Thanks for the *HighResScreenShot* search criterion, that helped immensely.

Grief.exe

I might outfit my Asp Explorer for long range trade and check out the Sothis and Ceos systems, which I've heard are very lucrative.

Pyrogeek

Are the Sothis and Ceos trades worth doing in a Cobra Mk III or should I grind more rare trades out and upgrade to something better before making the trip?

My goal is to earn enough credits to outfit an Asp Explorer for exploration.

Volimar

I might outfit my Asp Explorer for long range trade and check out the Sothis and Ceos systems, which I've heard are very lucrative.

Sothis gave me 2.5 million to make a 500 ly delivery. Made extra cash by filling my hold with the special sothis gold and selling it when I got to my destination.

Had to dodge a lot of pirates though. Interdiction attempts every third jump it felt like...

Grief.exe

Are the Sothis and Ceos trades worth doing in a Cobra Mk III or should I grind more rare trades out and upgrade to something better before making the trip?

The cargo and jump range aren't that great. Wait for a Python or Asp Explorer.

Sothis gave me 2.5 million to make a 500 ly delivery. Made extra cash by filling my hold with the special sothis gold and selling it when I got to my destination.

Had to dodge a lot of pirates though. Interdiction attempts every third jump it felt like...

From what I hear, go back and forth between the two systems and stack as many missions as possible. Then bank the cash on the deliveries.

I'll probably run some light shields and defensive optional mounts.

Mr. Bad Example

Neo Member

I've only done a couple of Sothis/Ceos runs, but they've been pretty lucrative so far. I generally bounce back and forth between the two systems delivering data (and building up faction reputation in the process) until I accumulate enough cargo delivery missions to fill up my hold and/or make the inevitable 400-plus light year trip worthwhile. My first run netted me around eight million credits, and the second just under eleven million. At this rate, I should be able to get myself a Python before too much longer.

Edited to add: I do get interdicted quite a bit, but the great thing so far is that the Asp Explorer is able to shrug off pretty much anything until the FSD recharges. I just submit, throttle up, boost three or four times, then jump away. I may paint a large upraised middle finger on the back of my ship.

StonedRider

Well, I made it to Beagle Point. The long way around was just over 90k ly. but there really wasn't anything to see (or do) except to watch the cool changes in the galactic skybox. Might just beeline it back to the bubble now and hope I have enough data for Elite rank.

Congrats, man!
Good luck on your way back to home.

I've never been so far from bubble (Sag A* furthest), I think you're feeling yourself so lonely now. And way back to the bubble was always the hardest part of my distant journeys.

zorbsie

I would wait a bit. I started doing Sothis/Ceos runs with a long range Type 6. Really loved that ship. Could carry a bunch and could travel fairly far as well. Only thing was I had not shields and no guns. Getting interdicted was always intense. :) But made a lot of money with that ship on those runs.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I was doing 50-70mil runs with my trade-conda depending on how stingy I was being with the missions offered. Obviously taking a mission of 15t for 8mil is better than a 65t for 10il when it comes to stacking. Sometimes, I just didn't care and took what as offered.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Log in and out until you fill up your cargo hold. Made $20 million in my Python delivering to 5 systems within two jumps of each other.

joecanada

Ya I've found the asp e can still survive interdiction with the 3a shield so I use my 6,5 slots for cargo. Makes the ship pretty solid for trading.

Saving up for a fdl .... Couple community goals this weekend should do it.

I have a full CH setup, pedals and all, and I can attest to the fact that it is nothing short of fucking amazing. I have owned several HOTAS setups over the years and this CH one is hands down the best. It is not the most flashy looking, but the build quality and precision and comfort are second to none that I've ever used before. Getting it literally transformed Elite for me, where as before I could not use fixed weapons at all, now I can with ease and effectiveness.

Before getting my CH I never realized how much my Saitek was holding me back.

I use almost every button on the X-55 throttle and feel like the CH Throttle doesn't have enough buttons.

Have you had any issues with it?

Grief.exe

I've only done a couple of Sothis/Ceos runs, but they've been pretty lucrative so far. I generally bounce back and forth between the two systems delivering data (and building up faction reputation in the process) until I accumulate enough cargo delivery missions to fill up my hold and/or make the inevitable 400-plus light year trip worthwhile. My first run netted me around eight million credits, and the second just under eleven million. At this rate, I should be able to get myself a Python before too much longer.

Edited to add: I do get interdicted quite a bit, but the great thing so far is that the Asp Explorer is able to shrug off pretty much anything until the FSD recharges. I just submit, throttle up, boost three or four times, then jump away. I may paint a large upraised middle finger on the back of my ship.

I was doing 50-70mil runs with my trade-conda depending on how stingy I was being with the missions offered. Obviously taking a mission of 15t for 8mil is better than a 65t for 10il when it comes to stacking. Sometimes, I just didn't care and took what as offered.

Log in and out until you fill up your cargo hold. Made $20 million in my Python delivering to 5 systems within two jumps of each other.

Now I'm definitely making a run.

:O Looks like I've found my next money maker!

Nivane

Came across Crazy Swede during the community goals.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What's a good place to rank up Fed missions, been trying to get ones near CZs for easy rep but it;s dried up near me.

Sothis and Ceos lol. Load up on Boom Delivery and the likes, and ferry between the two stations. You can stack up to 20 missions per run by simply logging out and switching between Solo/Private/Open, and logging back in.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What's a good place to rank up Fed missions, been trying to get ones near CZs for easy rep but it;s dried up near me.

I did fed ranks in Tun and the surrounding systems, you can get a nice loop going between a few of those since there are tons of federation controlled systems within 12ly of each other.

Grief.exe

Disregarding the two bookmarks, what are these other symbols?

zKfxR9Q.png

Welp, in the last month or maybe a little less, I have successfully outfitted 3 ships to their maximum Engineers potential: Cutter, Corvette, and Python.

I am currently half way to completing my engineer-modded Anaconda. It only lacks weapons mods at the moment, and I'm not in a hurry to do those because rolling the beams I want would mean I have to farm up enough mats to get him back up to rank 5 for the power distributors again. I'll probably come back to any ships that I have with beams on them and mod those after I put the PD's i want on the remaining fleet. What were they thinking tying a weapons engineer to the level 5 PD? It basically means that anyone who wants beams has to burn their rank 5 PD, something that no other Engineer that does core internal mods has to do. Beams really should be on someone else, like Broo Tarquin.

While I'd like to have done my entire fleet, one thing is clear: it takes a lot of fucking time to farm these mats, even with the recent buff. Certain mats are just obnoxious to have to wait for. Anyone who's had to wait for Modular Terminals and Articulation Motors knows exactly what I'm talking about. As such, I don't suspect I'll ever get around to modding my Cobras, Imperial Eagle, Vulture, Clipper, FAS or FGS. I'm probably only going to do the FSD mod on the Asp.

I'm going to do 4 more ships. FdL and my 3 Couriers (1 missileboat, 1 multicannon boat, 1 mixed boat). They should all go faster than these bigass ships with a million boosters and hardpoints to have to farm mats for. Plus, I really just want to get back into a Courier. Engineers makes you feel trapped on the ship you're flying until you're completely done upgrading because you don't want to give up the mats when switching to a ship that has less or no storage. I also wish there was parts storage so I didn't have to own 3 couriers, rather being able to just swap out the engineered part at my leisure. Maybe in another patch or two FDev will have gotten it right.

JambiBum

Welp, in the last month or maybe a little less, I have successfully outfitted 3 ships to their maximum Engineers potential: Cutter, Corvette, and Python.

I am currently half way to completing my engineer-modded Anaconda. It only lacks weapons mods at the moment, and I'm not in a hurry to do those because rolling the beams I want would mean I have to farm up enough mats to get him back up to rank 5 for the power distributors again. I'll probably come back to any ships that I have with beams on them and mod those after I put the PD's i want on the remaining fleet. What were they thinking tying a weapons engineer to the level 5 PD? It basically means that anyone who wants beams has to burn their rank 5 PD, something that no other Engineer that does core internal mods has to do. Beams really should be on someone else, like Broo Tarquin.

While I'd like to have done my entire fleet, one thing is clear: it takes a lot of fucking time to farm these mats, even with the recent buff. Certain mats are just obnoxious to have to wait for. Anyone who's had to wait for Modular Terminals and Articulation Motors knows exactly what I'm talking about. As such, I don't suspect I'll ever get around to modding my Cobras, Imperial Eagle, Vulture, Clipper, FAS or FGS. I'm probably only going to do the FSD mod on the Asp.

I'm going to do 4 more ships. FdL and my 3 Couriers (1 missileboat, 1 multicannon boat, 1 mixed boat). They should all go faster than these bigass ships with a million boosters and hardpoints to have to farm mats for. Plus, I really just want to get back into a Courier. Engineers makes you feel trapped on the ship you're flying until you're completely done upgrading because you don't want to give up the mats when switching to a ship that has less or no storage. I also wish there was parts storage so I didn't have to own 3 couriers, rather being able to just swap out the engineered part at my leisure. Maybe in another patch or two FDev will have gotten it right.

pls give me 13 modular terminals. k thx.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I use almost every button on the X-55 throttle and feel like the CH Throttle doesn't have enough buttons.

Have you had any issues with it?

Nope, I just use one of the buttons on the throttle as a "shift" button and I've got everything mapped with a few buttons left to spare even. I even have a "2nd shift' button mapped but I don't use it, lol.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Does Jaques Station have a Universal Cartographics terminal inside? I'm about 10k from there but about 25k from the bubble. And how piraty is it there?

joecanada

Here is my Sothis Build

EDIT: This fuel scoop is insane.
EDIT2: Added an additional shield booster, these pirates are coming in hot.

Okay, thanks.

Ya that's similar to my build. I think I put reinforced alloy and a hull reinforcement just in case but probably lowers jump range. Also is 6 multicannons too much extra too? Seems worth it for some protection.

Grief.exe

Just tallied it all up. 16.5 million for my first haul.

Ya that's similar to my build. I think I put reinforced alloy and a hull reinforcement just in case but probably lowers jump range. Also is 6 multicannons too much extra too? Seems worth it for some protection.

Ya it adds a ton of weight to your rig, so your jump speed goes way down. On top of that, you have to run a significantly heavier power plant.

joecanada

Just tallied it all up. 16.5 million for my first haul.

Ya it adds a ton of weight to your rig, so your jump speed goes way down. On top of that, you have to run a significantly heavier power plant.

Ah ya I was impressed with your 34 ly range. Now I know why lol.

Travel light

Finally played some CQC, why wasn’t I playing this before! It’s such a change of pace from the standard game and is so much fun. Turning on a dime, hiding behind asteroids, and flying through structures to lose people, it reminded me of Star Wars. I could play it for hours. However, I played for about two hours and got to rank 10 and only made 14k credits, so that kind of sucks, but the rest of it is great. I definitely want to play more of it.

Grief.exe

Ah ya I was impressed with your 34 ly range. Now I know why lol.

Travel light

Ya it's just a lean trading ship, every nonessential component is trimmed down to a lower weight class.

Will have to finally play around with The Engineer upgrades soon and get my jump systems upgraded.

Since everyone is talking about sticks again, I am wondering if anyone has any input on my issue that I mentioned before (probably close to a year ago!)

Basically, I have a basic HOTAS set-up that came with the Xbox 360 version of Ace Combat 6 which has been bugging out.

This one to be exact:
ace-combat-6-stick-gp.jpg

It worked fine on PC for years and I used it for a handful of sim games, but a couple of years ago it went all wonky on me. For some reason the moment I connect the thruster part to the flight stick, the calibration on the entire thing goes wonky. The buttons and such still respond but the calibration gets stuck in the top right. This happens like 95% of the time (it used to be a rarer occurrence) and rebooting the PC and such does not fix it. To reiterate, the stick works fine if it is plugged in by itself, but as soon as the thruster portion is connected it messes the entire thing up somehow.

Does this sound like something that may be fixable? I don't really have the spare cash for a new stick (possibly switching jobs soon + second kid on the way etc.) so I am thinking about opening up the thruster part and seeing if there is any frayed wiring or anything.

Kinda tired of playing on the 360 controller =/

Whew.

In my Fed grind, I found a fed system at war so I traveled there to do some CZs to rank up and the first stop gave me a kill order of 6, 12, 36(!!). I go out to the CZ and this one was a Cap CZ as well. So I'm out there murdering away and trying to make the trek up to 36 for the big one while doing some beam attacks on the cap ship while I wasn't targeted. Managed to rout the enemy cap ship after about 45 minutes, only gave a 150k combat bond though. Finally got to the magic 36 as I was on my last clip of multi turned it only to a kill mission with 64(!!!!!!) kills worth 6 million credits. I'd love to do that but good lord 36 was tiring as hell lol.

SmartBase

Congrats, man!
Good luck on your way back to home.

I've never been so far from bubble (Sag A* furthest), I think you're feeling yourself so lonely now. And way back to the bubble was always the hardest part of my distant journeys.

If there's such a thing as space madness, I have it.

oipic

As a committed long-term lurker, I love the fact that this thread is again relatively active at the moment.

E:D is (like Crusader Kings II) one of those games I really enjoy reading about, and for a game that is arguably shallow, and perhaps overly grindy to some (eventually?), Elite's community certainly finds much to discuss that proves to be very interesting read about. It's a compelling platform for community-based events, too, as recent happenings obviously attest. More of that, please.

Elite's community in general seems very helpful and especially encouraging of each other (and beginners), which I find very interesting in itself.

So yeah, please carry on doing as you're doing, commanders - this thread is a treasure-trove of impressions, stories, travel logs and helpful info. I look forward to joining you one day (and asking silly questions) when Frontier next plonk this on sale on Steam.

StonedRider

Does Jaques Station have a Universal Cartographics terminal inside? I'm about 10k from there but about 25k from the bubble. And how piraty is it there?

Yes it has. There was exploration CG week ago.
I was near Jaques and nobody tried to interdict or attack me. There is system security near station and NPCs are rare and peaceful.
Do not know about human players, I usually explore in solo mode.

StonedRider

They buffed quantity of materials received from scanning and collecting, but some materials like Specialized Legacy Firmware and others, which are rewards for missions are not buffed and you get only one for each mission completed, as before.
Anyway, I am done with Engineers for a while, until they implement crafting component commodities storage.

Wanted to ask you - what is your preferred power distributor upgrade? Charge enhanced?

Top Bottom