• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Atomski

I think I found Planet Cheese..
cheese-planet_zpsinjm3obh.jpg

FutbolBat

Banned
Welp, in the last month or maybe a little less, I have successfully outfitted 3 ships to their maximum Engineers potential: Cutter, Corvette, and Python.

I am currently half way to completing my engineer-modded Anaconda. It only lacks weapons mods at the moment, and I'm not in a hurry to do those because rolling the beams I want would mean I have to farm up enough mats to get him back up to rank 5 for the power distributors again. I'll probably come back to any ships that I have with beams on them and mod those after I put the PD's i want on the remaining fleet. What were they thinking tying a weapons engineer to the level 5 PD? It basically means that anyone who wants beams has to burn their rank 5 PD, something that no other Engineer that does core internal mods has to do. Beams really should be on someone else, like Broo Tarquin.

While I'd like to have done my entire fleet, one thing is clear: it takes a lot of fucking time to farm these mats, even with the recent buff. Certain mats are just obnoxious to have to wait for. Anyone who's had to wait for Modular Terminals and Articulation Motors knows exactly what I'm talking about. As such, I don't suspect I'll ever get around to modding my Cobras, Imperial Eagle, Vulture, Clipper, FAS or FGS. I'm probably only going to do the FSD mod on the Asp.

I'm going to do 4 more ships. FdL and my 3 Couriers (1 missileboat, 1 multicannon boat, 1 mixed boat). They should all go faster than these bigass ships with a million boosters and hardpoints to have to farm mats for. Plus, I really just want to get back into a Courier. Engineers makes you feel trapped on the ship you're flying until you're completely done upgrading because you don't want to give up the mats when switching to a ship that has less or no storage. I also wish there was parts storage so I didn't have to own 3 couriers, rather being able to just swap out the engineered part at my leisure. Maybe in another patch or two FDev will have gotten it right.

Jesus. o7

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Basically, I have a basic HOTAS set-up that came with the Xbox 360 version of Ace Combat 6 which has been bugging out.

This one to be exact:
ace-combat-6-stick-gp.jpg

Holy Frack, that’s just a recolored version of my old Saitek X45 that I used for over ten years! I’ve never seen it in white and green before. This is my X45:

Mine broke many times but I kept on fixing it myself, until it broke so bad one day that I could not fix it. That’s when I bought my CH HOTAS and then proceeded to kick my own ass for not tossing that X45 to the curb many years previous. Mine regularly went out of calibration too, seems to be a “feature” of those HOTAS, lol.

So I decided to go on an extended exploration voyage, meandering my way to the core and eventually back. Every so often I'll find some planet/moon that might be interesting so I give a landing a go to scoot about on the surface and pick up the odd bit of resources, and to see the sights.

Well fuck me if this one isn't the most harsh looking one I've seen yet. Yes it's very dark/contrasty but you can thank the big ass white star for that.

The terrain generation in this game really blows my mind. This one had this weird two-tone dark red and grey thing going for it.

Haha

So I am enjoying exploring. Its hard for me to not want to land on every planet and look around. I keep thinking I will find some alien shit.. but i have no idea how rare that stuff is.. could be a total waste of time.

Some shots..

That's the hardest part of exploring, I'm finding. I COULD be jumpjumpjumping around but I stop so often to take in the sights... :)

Reckheim

That's the hardest part of exploring, I'm finding. I COULD be jumpjumpjumping around but I stop so often to take in the sights... :)

Its the best part of exploring, I usually decide to land on small moons that orbit really close to their planets, best sights and usually if the moon is small enough it looks like a beautiful potato.

Atomski

I wish I could land or get up close to all these planets. I found a system that was almost all water worlds. One had some tiny islands on it..

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
So I've decided to take some of your suggestions to head to Sagittarius A*....it's so lonely out here lol :(

So far I've managed to fly around 6000lys from the bubble, but I really wish they'd let you plot out more than 1000lys at a time. I don't know if I'm getting lucky, but fuel hasn't been an issue at all so far. If a star says "unexplored" and the system map shows no player name having discovered it; will it be mine if I did the full detailed scan on it? On the system map it now shows the full detail of the star and the one planet orbiting it at 35,000ls (yeah I scanned the fucker), but it doesn't say that I discovered it like it does when I come across an already scanned system.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
So I've decided to take some of your suggestions to head to Sagittarius A*....it's so lonely out here lol :(

So far I've managed to fly around 6000lys from the bubble, but I really wish they'd let you plot out more than 1000lys at a time. I don't know if I'm getting lucky, but fuel hasn't been an issue at all so far. If a star says "unexplored" and the system map shows no player name having discovered it; will it be mine if I did the full detailed scan on it? On the system map it now shows the full detail of the star and the one planet orbiting it at 35,000ls (yeah I scanned the fucker), but it doesn't say that I discovered it like it does when I come across an already scanned system.

Your name will be on it if you are the first to sell the data to Universal Cartographics, so it could be that someone else already scanned it and is on their way back to the bubble. But, you know, 400 billion star systems... chances are good that you'll have your name out there.

Heshinsi

Your name will be on it if you are the first to sell the data to Universal Cartographics, so it could be that someone else already scanned it and is on their way back to the bubble. But, you know, 400 billion star systems... chances are good that you'll have your name out there.
Right, that would make sense. I was planning on getting to and coming back from Sagittarius some time today, so I could be ready for any juicy CG events. Didn't realise how much time this is going to take.

Burny

Pitiful.

Not that they're responding to the community, which is in itself excellent, but that they're actually even considering making the transfer anything but instant.

Game design isn't Frontier's forte where I'm concerned and I'm wondering when the poll for the rebuy screen to be delayed after ship destruction gets posted. After all, a tiny rescue capsule can't beam instantly across the galaxy after all. :p

kennah

Pitiful.

Not that they're responding to the community, which is in itself excellent, but that they're actually even considering making the transfer anything but instant.

Game design isn't Frontier's forte where I'm concerned and I'm wondering when the poll for the rebuy screen to be delayed after ship destruction gets posted. After all, a tiny rescue capsule can't beam instantly across the galaxy after all. :p

Clearly you go in to hypersleep and wake up when you reach a station. No time would pass from your perspective! ;)

Voted for instant transfers haha.

But I have a feeling that a delay option will win out. In the end, it's not really a big deal to me, as even a delay will be more appealing than flying over to switch ships and always having to leave a ship somewhere. I just want to have all of my ships in one location or at least a couple local systems without having to buy a beater ship to go make the change only to sell it haha.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

That's why I go exploring in Elite in the first place: the sightseeing. I've long since hit Elite in rank, so I don't do it for credits anymore, I do it for the scenery. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ive always thought the compromise to instant ship transfer would be that since im assuming you can only transfer ships between stations with a shipyard anyway they could just play an animation of your ship being broken down and rebuilt at the new station.

It isn't particularly immersion breaking and just makes for better gameplay.

Volimar

I saved a container of imperial slaves from dying in the cold depths of space after the ship they were in suddenly blew up from being shot too much, and I get fined! Who's the real criminal here?

Effect

For all my issues with Elite in getting anything done I'm torn on this. Instant is really nice but something like a ship being transferred from very long distances I think it should take some time. Meanwhile you can do other things until it arrives. While I think the game should be more respectful of your time as a player something like this being instant would really be immersion and game breaking. Can't believe it but I'm actually voting for there to be a delay. There are many things that should be changed to make gameplay better. I'm not sure this is one of them. That being said I'm certainly not going to complain if instant wins but I do think there should be a delay of some kind. Maybe the cap should be 40 or 60 minutes instead of 100 though.

Grief.exe

Ive always thought the compromise to instant ship transfer would be that since im assuming you can only transfer ships between stations with a shipyard anyway they could just play an animation of your ship being broken down and rebuilt at the new station.

I didn't think about it like this, that makes the most sense from an immersion perspective. You're essentially selling your ship in one location, then transferring those credits to the new station, where they assemble the ship under the same specifications.

Effect

I didn't think about it like this, that makes the most sense from an immersion perspective. You're essentially selling your ship in one location, then transferring those credits to the new station, where they assemble the ship under the same specifications.

That's a really good idea and one I hadn't considered.

Heshinsi

We're talking about a game where if your ship blows up, you are instantly transferred to your last station (regardless of distance and whether that station sells your particular ship). Also, waiting 100 minutes for a 200lys travel is ridiculous. On top of that, they probably want you to first travel to the station you want your ship to come to, and then wait for it to show up.

Reckheim

For all my issues with Elite in getting anything done I'm torn on this. Instant is really nice but something like a ship being transferred from very long distances I think it should take some time. Meanwhile you can do other things until it arrives. While I think the game should be more respectful of your time as a player something like this being instant would really be immersion and game breaking. Can't believe it but I'm actually voting for there to be a delay. There are many things that should be changed to make gameplay better. I'm not sure this is one of them. That being said I'm certainly not going to complain if instant wins but I do think there should be a delay of some kind. Maybe the cap should be 40 or 60 minutes instead of 100 though.

I'm with you, voted for Delay as well (it would break the immersion for me). Seems to be the more unpopular opinion around here tho.

I have a feeling instant transfer will win out which I would be perfectly fine with as well.

Effect

Anyone know of any stations nearish to Sothis and Ceos? None of them have mining lasers.

Took a look at https://eddb.io/station and it seems that the closest might be Sirius Reach in Almagest. It should be 110 LY away from Sothis. They have a 1D and 2D Fixed Mining Lasers according to the site.

Speaking of Sothis. I made it out there last night. Such a long and boring trip but liked seeing the stations still under construction. Running intel missions between the systems and might do that a little more tonight before leaving my power play faction and then making my way back with some of the delivery missions. Want to see how many I can grab while filling up 88t worth. I'm likely going to ditch my weapons and drop down some modules to lesser ranks to get the jump range of the asp up to see if I can shorten the trip some what before even attempting to make the trip again. Took me 32 jumps to get out here from the engineer Farseer. Took a trip out there first before deciding to go to Sothis. I want to that number down as much as possible to make additional trips out here bearable.

Augustiner

Neo Member
Man, I just got destroyed by an NPC pirate in my Cobra Mark III in seconds. I was interdicted, and was immediately under fire. I didn't catch the ship, but the pilot rank was novice, so I didn't think that should have happened.

I'm a little annoyed since that set me back just under 400,000 credits with cargo. Do I need a better shield generator or something? I'm running default equipment except for the FSD which is a 4B. I'm trying to work up to a Type 6 transport, but if it is that easy to get destroyed in a non-combat ship, I'm not sure how anyone would survive being interdicted. Suggestions?

Sibylus

Banned
It really isn't lore breaking. Station gets the move order and they commission you the exact same ship with the same modules at your current station. Old station keeps the old ship.

The Cowboy

Man, I just got destroyed by an NPC pirate in my Cobra Mark III in seconds. I was interdicted, and was immediately under fire. I didn't catch the ship, but the pilot rank was novice, so I didn't think that should have happened.

I'm a little annoyed since that set me back just under 400,000 credits with cargo. Do I need a better shield generator or something? I'm running default equipment except for the FSD which is a 4B. I'm trying to work up to a Type 6 transport, but if it is that easy to get destroyed in a non-combat ship, I'm not sure how anyone would survive being interdicted. Suggestions?
1st thing you do in a Cobra is submit to the interdiction (this way you get a shorter FSD cool down and you can easily place yourself strait towards your destination), this way the pursuer will drop out behind you and you'll already have a decent head start from them - then as soon as you drop out of supercruise hit max engines and boost, then jump to supercruise as soon as its available (very quickly).

The Cobra with half way decent thruster (even D class), max engines and boosting is near impossible for the NPC's keep up with, meaning if you do the above - you'll be jumping back into supercruise before they can even get a shot on you.

Grief.exe

Since you get 100% of your purchase price back when you sell modules it's always recommended to upgrade your modules as needed. The assets are completely liquid and you still hold 100% of their value.

Check my Asp Explorer build a few posts up, I strip out all the weapons, and keep the shield generator/FSD at A level. Add in some chaff and shield boosters in your optional slots to wait out the interdictions.

Augustiner

Neo Member
1st thing you do in a Cobra is submit to the interdiction, this way you get a shorter FSD cool down and you can easily place yourself strait towards your destination. Then as soon as you drop out of supercruise hit boost, then jump to supercruise strait away.

The Cobra with a half way decent thruster is near impossible to keep up with, meaning if you do the above - you'll be jumping back into supercruise before they can even get a shot on you.

I didn't realize you could submit to an interdiction. Is this a key function, or do you just drop out of supercruise manually?

Since you get 100% of your purchase price back when you sell modules it's always recommended to upgrade your modules as needed. The assets are completely liquid and you still hold 100% of their value.

Check my Asp Explorer build a few posts up, I strip out all the weapons, and keep the shield generator/FSD at A level. Add in some chaff and shield boosters in your optional slots to wait out the interdictions.

Ya, I know that you get full refunds for modules. I think I was just surprised how bad the ships starting shield generator was, or perhaps the enemy ships weapons were just really good at taking shields down? I think I was being shot at with both energy and kinetic weapons at the same time.

Perhaps I'll try your suggesting and work towards an Asp instead of a transport.

The Cowboy

I didn't realize you could submit to an interdiction. Is this a key function, or do you just drop out of supercruise manually?
As soon as the interdiction starts, drop to zero engines (X button is the default) - this will submit to it and give you the quicker cooldown and more control on your aiming towards your target destination.

Augustiner

Neo Member
As soon as the interdiction starts, drop to zero engines (X button is the default) - this will submit to it and give you the quicker cooldown and more control on your aiming towards your target destination.

Awesome, I'll give that a try next time. Also, it sounds like I would want to possibly upgrade my thrusters before my shield generator then?

Heshinsi

Awesome, I'll give that a try next time. Also, it sounds like I would want to possibly upgrade my thrusters before my shield generator then?

Nah, you should be fine. My ASP has D thrusters and I'm already in super cruise before dumb pirate realises what happened. Sometimes though when I'm in friendly systems, I'd fly around waiting for the police to show up and I'll have the idiot pirate to chase me to them. Then I sit back and watch him get lit up. I take so much pleasure out of doing this, plus there is the added benefit of this idiot not coming after you constantly.

The Cowboy

On my cargo fitted AspX (which is slower than even the base Cobra), and only D tier level 3 shield - nothing could catch me doing the above suggestion.

To be honest, with the Cobra having such a great default speed - even a D tier upgrade on them with basic shields should be enough to get away.

This is what you need to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woy8nmaVuVg

Grief.exe

It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to go full trading, then higher level thrusters are heavier and more power hungry, which requires a heavier powerplant. If you want to do more trading, it's best to reduce the weight for the power plant and trusters as much as possible.

Widge

It won't make any difference but I'm going to vote instant transfer. If we've learnt anything with game, more reality doesn't necessary translate to more enjoyment.

Volimar

Strangely enough I couldn't find the station at Almagest. There's a nav beacon and loads of traffic, even a wedding barge, but for the life of me I couldn't find a station.

Does failing a source and retrieve mission hurt your relationship with the quest giver?

It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to go full trading, then higher level thrusters are heavier and more power hungry, which requires a heavier powerplant. If you want to do more trading, it's best to reduce the weight for the power plant and trusters as much as possible.

What's a good weapon load out for an aspX?

Rutti

Wtf? My federal navy quest to petty officer is to smuggle imperial slaves. Is this a sting operation or does the Federation now trust me enough to let me know some of their dark secrets?

Top Bottom