• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Driving the SRV is already one of my favorite things. Ruins will make it even better. But I totally get your meaning. I haven't had the game for that long and I'm already sick of the slow burn.

I mostly go exploring in Elite, but yeah I spend an awful lot of time landing on distant worlds and simply driving around scenic vistas, huge craters, tall mountain ranges, and deep canyons. Usually I’ll pick a spot with a great view of stars or ringed planets or nebulas. I’ve been in the bubble waiting for 2.2 to release and I’ve been spending a lot of my time driving around worlds in the SRV collecting materials and checking our random POI’s as I come across them. It’s been great fun, coming across buildings and outposts, surface mining operations, wrecked SRV’s and nav beacons, cargo drops guarded by skimmers, etc. I really do just love driving around in the damn SRV, lol.

Volimar

Wonder if I should try to squeeze in one last Sothis run for old time's sake.

You know I'd probably still recommend Sothis/Ceos for new players. The back and forth missions can give a good amount of money on their own and they can give you a good start for gaining Federation rank.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to do this planet mission where you go to a building search zone to get data. I activate something but nothing happens?

Edit: Figured it out. Had to use my turret to do a data scan

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I don't play in open session at all. I've read things about grievers and other assholes, so I tend to just like doing my play time in solo or private with friends. And last night, my reason for avoiding open play was reinforced to me within seconds of launching my ship and attempting to exist a space station.

So I'm at Sothis doing some runs, and I keep logging in and out of different instances to roll high paying long distance missions. I finally fill up my cargo hold, and as I start launching my ship, it suddenly downs on me that I hadn't switched from open to solo play. I think to myself, "well a lot of folks in this thread seem to not have any issues, how bad can it really be?" As I am going through the station entrance, the computer starts yelling at me that I am under attack. Huh? Why am I under attack? Who the hell has the balls to attack a ship with no bounties in a flagrant no fire zone?

I start panicking as my shields are being hammered, so I promptly manoeuvre around, resubmit a docking request, and then hurtle myself back into the station. The bastard follows me into the station and keeps firing. I land, send my ship into the holds, and log off. When I log back into solo, there are ship bits floating inside the station. So I assume his stupid ass was dealt with by system security, who by the way, took their sweet ass time responding to my distress. Never again.

Hehe. Playing in open isn't a problem most of the time. Sothis is definitely a hotspot for players like that, especially right now when it's just about to get nerfed. Same with CG stations.

I don't play in open session at all. I've read things about grievers and other assholes, so I tend to just like doing my play time in solo or private with friends. And last night, my reason for avoiding open play was reinforced to me within seconds of launching my ship and attempting to exist a space station.

So I'm at Sothis doing some runs, and I keep logging in and out of different instances to roll high paying long distance missions. I finally fill up my cargo hold, and as I start launching my ship, it suddenly downs on me that I hadn't switched from open to solo play. I think to myself, "well a lot of folks in this thread seem to not have any issues, how bad can it really be?" As I am going through the station entrance, the computer starts yelling at me that I am under attack. Huh? Why am I under attack? Who the hell has the balls to attack a ship with no bounties in a flagrant no fire zone?

I start panicking as my shields are being hammered, so I promptly manoeuvre around, resubmit a docking request, and then hurtle myself back into the station. The bastard follows me into the station and keeps firing. I land, send my ship into the holds, and log off. When I log back into solo, there are ship bits floating inside the station. So I assume his stupid ass was dealt with by system security, who by the way, took their sweet ass time responding to my distress. Never again.

No interest in the fact that that gave you a unique story to tell?

If going through the motions with little risk or randomness is your jam than so be it but I am often puzzled why people turn to a game like this if that's your thing.

Volimar

You might look into joining the Mobius PVE player group. Everyone is really friendly and there's no pvp. It's one of the largest player groups around, so it doesn't feel as empty as playing solo.

DrBo42

I remember when I used to be excited on Elite update days. Lol. Give me some fucking content, FD. I'm sure it's great for people that haven't spent thousands of hours in the game but for those of us that have...we really need some new engaging things to do. Passenger missions ain't it. Bring on the Thargoid war.

Burny

I'm sure it's great for people that haven't spent thousands of hours in the game but for those of us that have...we really need some new engaging things to do. Passenger missions ain't it. Bring on the Thargoid war.

Hehe, can see where that's coming from, but I'm mostly happy for all improvements. And 2.2 again has a whole lot of them. Maybe I'll take up my exploration trip again this evening, which I abandoned many moons ago. :3

Edit: Stupid delayed transfers etc.. Still sting(k)s. ;)

SmartBase

I remember when I used to be excited on Elite update days. Lol. Give me some fucking content, FD. I'm sure it's great for people that haven't spent thousands of hours in the game but for those of us that have...we really need some new engaging things to do. Passenger missions ain't it. Bring on the Thargoid war.

Flying fighters may delay death by boredom when using the big ships, so at least that's a plus.

derFeef

You know what would be a cool QOL feature for me. In actual mission selections, having you displayed how many jump you would have to make for the (shortest, fastest,...) route, and if you need to refuel inbetween etc. Like with a preset filter. Just came to my mind...

Does anyone know if the Taipan fighter is in CQC? I don't see anything in the notes about it. My Internet is slow and I still have like four hours before I can play.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like the new FSD effect. On Xbox seems to be a little bit of a performance hit..not much though.

Can an asp take on a passenger cabin?

The long distance smuggling missions have been nerfed hard.

There are times I really dislike FD. They take 2 steps forward and one step back and always make sure to increase the grind...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The long distance smuggling missions have been nerfed hard.

There are times I really dislike FD. They take 2 steps forward and one step back and always make sure to increase the grind...

I can understand why though, I don't think FDev wants people to feel roped into doing sothis runs to make money. But if that's the case then they should really make everything else more lucrative.

I think Bounty Hunting needs missions associated with it that have huge pay outs like Conflict Zones do.

I can understand why though, I don't think FDev wants people to feel roped into doing sothis runs to make money. But if that's the case then they should really make everything else more lucrative.

I think Bounty Hunting needs missions associated with it that have huge pay outs like Conflict Zones do.

Yup. I think MOST aspects of the gameplay need a buff.

Faster fuel scooping across the board.
More materials/ore per scoop.
Farther default and upgrade jump ranges.
Higher rewards for missions across the board.

While we're at it: fewer interdictions or easier to escape interdictions or an actual reason to stay and fight your interdictor vs submitting and running.

They should also REALLY start leveraging cosmetics and engineered modules as rewards. I'd be MUCH more willing to haul those fish or take out those 10 pirates or scour USS if it meant acquiring a rare module or hardpoint or ship kit or ship paint.

Rep grinds for any faction (whether Fed/Imp/All or even Engineers or local factions) would be so much more enticing if you got awarded something unique or collectible. Assign specific ship kits to specific factions (or even powers) and make it so you can eventually collect all pieces of the kit by getting your rep up, ranking up in the Navy, etc.

So what's up with Sothis runs? Please tell me I can still pocket 20+ mil a run.
Nope. Half that if you are very luck. It's not even worth the 400 LY trip out there anymore.

All mission payouts are shit now. The only high paying missions are Passenger missions and the ones that get anywhere close to Sothis money are so damn far away no one with an actual life will even bother with them.

If there was an actual player run economy in this game (like in EvE) then I could understand FD's point on not letting people make money very fast but there isn't. Having a quick (and dangerous) way to make easy money is not going to break the game.

~Cross~

There was less threat with sothis poop runs than there is with general high value commodities in the bubble. Poop didnt attract interdictions at all and the pay out WAS insane, rendering just about everything else meaningless.

Of course it was still something differen't, and the nerf makes it pointless to venture that far to do anymore.

Top Bottom