• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

vector824

Believe it or not the FAS both turns harder and is capable of higher top speeds (by a hair) than the FDL. The FDL accelerates faster, both straight line and directional thrusters, by about 30% tho.

Most of the PVP world is moving towards FAS too; the ship can fit an absolutely disgusting armor tank while still maintaining extremely good mobility, and with the military slots and the addition of MRPs armor tanking isn't useless anymore, so there's that.

Yeah, but no huge hardpoint... deal breaker for me. I had the FAS and liked it! Definitely not knocking its capability, it fills a roll for sure... but I tend to avoid PVP when possible.

Edit: Now I'm wondering if I should build a stealth FAS akin to Ghost's Diamondback... would be very interesting... https://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_...l7l0r0r00020m022d2d2b292727.Iw18cQ==.Aw18cQ==

Another time I love military bulkheads is on my diamondback scout, which is a shield less silent running set up, the bulkheads give me the hull integrity of a ship 3x my size and allows me to soak up extra hits, which is super important when fixed weapons start hitting me.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

vector824

Well the reason the DBS works well is high heat tolerance, I think the FAS gets spicy pretty fast while tlhe DBS can keep silent running for a good long while before things get hot, and when you do disable it you cool down super fast.

They should create an internal "radiator", like a heatsink, but lasts longer at the expense of your systems bar. Activate it, sys depletes, inactivate, heat builds with sys recharging, deploy heatsink, sys full again, activate "radiator", rinse, repeat. Get's too hot you turn off silent running in between shooting targets.

Sibylus

Banned
Interesting that the game specifically calls the secretions phloem (vascular fluid that moves sugars). These trees have to photosynthesize for their metabolism!

Assuming you've already putzed around with EVA in Star Citizen then?

I have not. I need to see game from SC before I even think about putting money on it.

Ok, need some help here. I've been working towards unlocking engineer Qwent. I have the Sirius permit. However, the system has been in lockdown and some folks on the Frontier forums say that ED griefers have been UA bombing Sirius to put the system in lockdown and block commanders from Qwent.

So I was excited to see that the system was out of lockdown today. Just logged in and there are still no missions. I believe it's because it's "recovering" from Lockdown. My question is this, does anyone know how long the recovery lasts and whether there's a window (even 1 day) that will not allow the griefers to put it back into to lockdown?

Interesting that the game specifically calls the secretions phloem (vascular fluid that moves sugars). These trees have to photosynthesize for their metabolism!

I have not. I need to see game from SC before I even think about putting money on it.

There was a point where it was $30 for a basic ship and Squadron 42. I felt like that was kind of the impulse buy time just to get to putz around in it. It's a bit too expensive now if you want everything. But jumping out of your airlock and EVA is always fun for a little while.

I WILL buy beta access for this: The Commanders/2.3 beta launches by 2/26

Greetings!

We've been receiving transmissions from Commanders all over the galaxy seeking more information on our next update. I'm pleased to be able to confirm that the beta of Elite Dangerous: The Commanders (2.3) will be landing the week ending February 26! This will be available to everyone with Horizons beta access.

multicrew-original.jpg

With the content now reaching a stage where it begins to fit together, we'll soon be able to start sharing more news and updates on exactly how the features will look and work. We'll be sharing more granular detail about how the core features will function in our upcoming dev spotlight as well as showcasing all of the content in our pre-beta stream!

Elite Dangerous: The Commanders (2.3) will come with features such as Multicrew and Commander Creator, as well as a number of other improvements and changes. Bring your friends or invite new crew mates to pack that extra punch you might need in key situations, and add more personality to your Commander with an all-new visual upgrade.

So ready your engines and tell your friends, the Elite Dangerous: The Commanders beta is just around the corner.

Beta starts at end of Feb--I'd guess full release by late March, at earliest.

Bah, they still haven't announced anything for 2.3 which interests me. So far the best feature of 2.3 is that it gets us closer to 2.4 which might have something I can use in game.

I wish they'd release more details.

Hopefully the newsletter will have real sneak peeks. I'm sure the dev livestreams will go over things in detail, though. You're right, though--we know next to nothing about 2.3 other than Multicrew and Commander Creator, gameplay-wise.

Volimar

I'm not a people person, but I would like AI crew members sitting in those empty chairs. Also betTER PLANETARY SCANNERS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS BEIGE!!!

Hype with multi crew. Wonder what the new stations will be

Here is a compilation of known info: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5hd9n5/what_we_know_about_23_multicrew_so_far/

Faces will be visible as the visors will be retracted with pressurised cockpit. Canopy breach will cause Visors to appear.

Multicrew uses the Wing system, and has 4 roles:

-Helm (piloting)
-Fire control (turrets/weapons + limpet control)
-Tactical (sensors, shields, countermeasures)
-Engineer (power distribution, repairs)

Roles are balanced so that a fully-crewed ship is on par with 4 CMDRs in a wing.
CMDRs can hotswap between roles, including in Solo. Uses an SRV-style UI interface.

No NPC Crew initially. (David Braben AMA from 1 year ago).

Concept art: http://i.imgur.com/e32uolq.jpg

Players working together to control the different functions of a ship. One player could fly the ship whilst others would handle the sub-systems and weapons. Or a multicrew ship landing on a planet's surface could have one player stay with the main vessel, another patrol in a ship-launched fighter, and another explore in their SRV.
The crew limit of 4 may be increased in a future Season. We don't know how high we would go. Current instancing issues likely make more than 4 unfeasible for the immediate future.

Enormous range of faces and features available using the Commander Creation "slider tool". This option will be selected via the game's interface. In combination with Multicrew players will at last be able to see each other, in game. Although dev-demo shows baldness, hair is confirmed.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm not a people person, but I would like AI crew members sitting in those empty chairs. Also betTER PLANETARY SCANNERS FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS BEIGE!!!

Frontier has already said there won’t be any npc crews in 2.3, multicrew is a multi player feature only.

JoeMartin

Also as an FYI - crafted ammo is bugged right now, if you make just one bit of the +15% or +30% stuff, the buff on that turret will remain indefinitely so long as you don't remove the turret.

Effect

Looking forward to finding out what else is coming with the update. Multi-crew is worthless to me to since I play solo in the game. The commander creator will be nice and I hope they let you add npcs to the co-pilot ships but grouping up with other players has not been something I've been looking forward to. So I hope there is more.

From the concept art (via the reddit thread):

Lgh5Ivo.png

Likely the Tactical view--a hologram of the ship and hostile target, indicating where the other ship is in relation to you. Looks like a hologram of a hardpoint, too?

tdjVSEW.jpg

Fire Control, of course.

DrBo42

Bah, they still haven't announced anything for 2.3 which interests me. So far the best feature of 2.3 is that it gets us closer to 2.4 which might have something I can use in game.

I wish they'd release more details.
Based on DJTruthSayer's reaction after seeing 2.4 when he went to the FD offices, I imagine it's substantial. He kept saying FD should keep it secret per concerns another game might steal it. I'd imagine it's something with player bases etc.

~Cross~

Based on DJTruthSayer's reaction after seeing 2.4 when he went to the FD offices, I imagine it's substantial. He kept saying FD should keep it secret per concerns another game might steal it. I'd imagine it's something with player bases etc.

Wait, 2.3 is still a month away from beta and Frontier already has enough about 2.4 done that they were willing to show it to a streamer? Something doesn't add up but hopefully it means that Frontier can shotgun 2.3 and 2.4 back to back within like 2 months or something.

GeoGonzo

Elite streamer they invited to the offices a while back. Obviously he's under NDA for what he saw. Personally can't imagine anything but player bases being enough to fit his "keep it secret" comments.

Well, that comment would make the most sense if he's talking about something rarely seen before BUT easily implemented. Player bases aren't a new concept nor are they easy to steal.

Elite streamer they invited to the offices a while back. Obviously he's under NDA for what he saw. Personally can't imagine anything but player bases being enough to fit his "keep it secret" comments.

Daaaamn, son. Now I'm hyped.

That would make sense, given the player faction/base initiatives in Colonia. Maybe they're setting the stage.

Volimar

BEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEDARKBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGEBEIGE

Sibylus

Banned
Wild speculation: Witch space trans dimensional travel to Thargoid worlds. Also Guardian space and cities found, they turn out to be hostile.

The galaxy is already too large as it is lol. Bring Thargoid and Guardian stations and settlements into the milky way instead. 3 bubbles, and two of them are alien! Have friendly outposts hiding in asteroid belts to allow for repair and restock.

Roles are balanced so that a fully-crewed ship is on par with 4 CMDRs in a wing.
CMDRs can hotswap between roles, including in Solo. Uses an SRV-style UI interface.
How is this supposed to work?

WOOOOT! Now I'm hyped and I hate you!

DrBo42

Well, that comment would make the most sense if he's talking about something rarely seen before BUT easily implemented. Player bases aren't a new concept nor are they easy to steal.
Yeah I get that. Maybe their implementation is particularly interesting. Like inflatables in orbit. Honestly I can't think of anything else that would be all that exciting.

~Cross~

I honestly dont know how they'd be able to work in player bases on a game as heavily instanced as this. Like I can see players having more control over the galaxy and forcing state changes without Frontier needing to physically do it for them, but smaller personalized bases seem out of the question.

I was wondering if you guys can help me decide. I just recently upgraded my pc so I can play games on pc again. Love the space sim stuff in this game. Should I get this game? It's been out so long so I am afraid i might be too late to the party. What have they added since they released this game? How much grinding can i expect?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd love it if power play got revamped as a PvP only mechanic or at least a group centric one where you were encouraged to wing up and go out on group missions, something that fosters a bit more community within the power but I'm sure people would bitch about that since there seems to be a very "if i can't do it in solo then fdev shouldn't do it" mentality among the player base.

~Cross~

I'd love it if power play got revamped as a PvP only mechanic or at least a group centric one where you were encouraged to wing up and go out on group missions, something that fosters a bit more community within the power but I'm sure people would bitch about that since there seems to be a very "if i can't do it in solo then fdev shouldn't do it" mentality among the player base.

Given the focus on aliens it would be sort of weird if things are going down in the bubble with them and people are "Fuck that I'm fighting against other people on this shithole of a region in the middle of nowhere for some rocks and a space station"

vector824

I'm more curious on how the logistics of this works. When you wing up do you select the other guys ship to manage weapons for? Does he invite you? If then what happens to your ship? Maybe you all have to be docked in a station in order to join as a crew.

Then how to payouts work? Do you all get an even percentage? What about the guy who's ship you're flying? Shouldn't he get a higher cut because he's fronting the risk?

All these questions... Guess time will tell. I'm very excited for this new update still! I want to make a space man me!

I was wondering if you guys can help me decide. I just recently upgraded my pc so I can play games on pc again. Love the space sim stuff in this game. Should I get this game? It's been out so long so I am afraid i might be too late to the party. What have they added since they released this game? How much grinding can i expect?

Nah you're not too late. If you like the idea of flying in space a lot, you'll like this game. Problem is that it takes a LONG time to get into the top tier of ships and ranks, I'm kind of in the middle at having put in 170+ hours. Definitely still enjoy playing regularly though. It can be VERY frustrating at times as well, it's kind of like gambling with your time. The biggest complaint I hear about it is that E:D doesn't respect a player's time. One little mistake can wipe 10+ hours of work away in a second. It lacks any real depth or a compelling story line, and has pointless features like CQC and Powerplay. But underneath it has the markings of a great game! You cannot beat it's atmosphere and flight mechanics. Bounty hunting is one of my favorite activities, then when I need a break I run a few missions or trade routes to relax.

Watch Obsidian Ant on youtube to get a feel for how the game works before you buy. I probably watched 15 hours of his channel before I dove in. And I've loved (almost) every second of it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Given the focus on aliens it would be sort of weird if things are going down in the bubble with them and people are "Fuck that I'm fighting against other people on this shithole of a region in the middle of nowhere for some rocks and a space station"

Yeah that's true, but that leads me to my other hope. That the "thargoid threat" becomes a thing and it's got huge focus on wing combat in order to take them down.

So the in-game explanation is, I believe, neural linkage, similar to how you aren't actually *in* your ship-launched fighter. It's just your brain (and an eerie human avatar, apparently).
nah, I mean, you can switch between normal solo flight and a quarter of solo flight (focusing on shooting i.e.) but with more punch then? Ah well the balancing

luulubuu

Hi, I want to buy this game but I'm not sure

I saw the first alien contact a few weeks ago and then a few more videos, I couldn't help it, I loved every sec of it but I want a player insight into the game

I like sim games and I want a new one that let me do stuff but also wondering around, like Euro Truck Sim, but I also like item managment and farming, like Stardew Valley for example

Is E:D something like that?

And if I want to buy the game, which version is the best or the one with more content?

Sibylus

Banned
This rescue CG is really trash. Not even the first tier yet, no indication of where to look for the stuff, and USS seem barren other than engineer materials.

Pomerlaw

I like sim games and I want a new one that let me do stuff but also wondering around, like Euro Truck Sim, but I also like item managment and farming, like Stardew Valley for example

Is E:D something like that?

And if I want to buy the game, which version is the best or the one with more content?

Do it. Horizons.

You saying you like wondering around... Elite is great for this... I spent lots of time just flying around in planet rings.

JoeMartin

So i learned something kind of interesting I didn't know about. Class 4 weapons always deal 100% damage to shields all the time.

All weapons always deal 100% damage to shields all the time.

The only time pierce is checked is against armor. Damage done to armor is a simple ratio (up to 1.0) of pierce/hardness. Hardness is a base value of the ship and cannot be altered (except by corrosive, which when hitting a target lowers its armor hardness by 25% for 5 seconds).

EDIT: For example, the armor hardness on an Anaconda is 65, the pierce value on a medium fixed multicannon is 37; where the listed value for damage of a single round from a fixed medium MC is 2.19 hp, the actual damage done against an Anaconda hull is (37/65)*2.19 = 1.25 hp. This is why corrosive is so strong, because with corrosive you are instead doing (37/(65*0.75))*2.19 = 1.66 hp per round.

EDIT2: All of this, keep in mind, is before resists. Keeping the above example in mind as well, actual damage done to shields is simply roundDmg*shieldKineticRes = damageTaken, where armor is [(roundPierce/armorHardness)*roundDmg]*armorKineticRes = damageTaken. Resist stacking is why plasma accelerators are enormously popular in PvP now (especially as the huge hardpoint on FDLs). Because everyone is running tanks with all resists at or above 50%, the ability to deal absolute damage is very attractive, and they too are not affected by armor hardness as their pierce value (100) is set well above the highest hardness value on any ship (70 - FDLs/Vettes/Cutters).

Top Bottom