• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
All weapons always deal 100% damage to shields all the time.

Oh huh I thought smaller weapons had a damage penalty to shields on big ships, that's actually pretty interesting info you dropped there regarding piercing. I always figured it had to do with how damage was calculated against bigger / smaller ships but I didn't know the specifics. Thanks for that!

The current pvp meta is interesting, a lot of people seem to be favoring full on hull tanks and even ditching shields completely on the federal ships because it's totally possible to get an FAS with 3400 armor which is kind of insanity.

SmartBase

So they're still releasing multi-crew with no NPCs? They did the same thing with wings not having wing missions and they're still not in.

Elite streamer they invited to the offices a while back. Obviously he's under NDA for what he saw. Personally can't imagine anything but player bases being enough to fit his "keep it secret" comments.

All the early access trash on Steam has made me loathe the very idea of base building, I really hope that's not what it is.

Havoc2049

So Dangerous and Horizons are separate products? :eek:

Yes and no. Horizons is just the Season One expansion to Elite Dangerous and not a stand alone product. You can just buy Elite Dangerous for $30 and then buy the expansion, Horizons, for another $30.

The best way is to just buy the complete game, the Commander Deluxe Edition for $60 and it includes a bunch of free ship paint jobs for the first batch of ships you will be piloting.

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/g...elite-dangerous-commander-deluxe-edition.html

vector824

Since everyone was raving about the Python I decided to give it a go. Turned it into a cargo hauler and for $7.5mil/hr it's not bad. Even with downgraded components it's very easy to fly. I see why commanders love it now.

Cargo Python

Jedi2016

Are the Thargoid hyperdictions still happening? I might go zipping around the Pleiades later today, see what kind of trouble I can get into.

JoeMartin

Oh huh I thought smaller weapons had a damage penalty to shields on big ships, that's actually pretty interesting info you dropped there regarding piercing. I always figured it had to do with how damage was calculated against bigger / smaller ships but I didn't know the specifics. Thanks for that!

The current pvp meta is interesting, a lot of people seem to be favoring full on hull tanks and even ditching shields completely on the federal ships because it's totally possible to get an FAS with 3400 armor which is kind of insanity.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jw-0RRriYlVoUqpIL-OJNCr0RJbCcvVtPcTENRXlXNA/edit

A good tool for calculating real DPS against shields.

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone know where the top 10% threshold for the Bounty Hunting CG is? I'm still in top 25% at about 5.25 million credits earned.

Jedi2016

Anyone know where the top 10% threshold for the Bounty Hunting CG is? I'm still in top 25% at about 5.25 million credits earned.
Depends on how many people are participating and how much money is earned, so only some database table on the server knows for sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So yeah, a second alien ruins site was found in the system IC 2391 SECTOR GW-V B2-4, of course it was found by brute force searching with eyeballs, and it is an exact carbon copy of the first ruins, absolutely nothing is different. It even gives the exact same data as the original ruins for Ram Tah's mission, so it's no help there at all.

At this point, I'm not seeing a point to bothering much with the ruins anymore, they are nowhere near as interesting a thing as any of us imagined they could be. Sad, but eh, at least I can forget about them completely from now on, lol.

:(

So yeah, a second alien ruins site was found in the system IC 2391 SECTOR GW-V B2-4, of course it was found by brute force searching with eyeballs, and it is an exact carbon copy of the first ruins, absolutely nothing is different. It even gives the exact same data as the original ruins for Ram Tah's mission, so it's no help there at all.

At this point, I'm not seeing a point to bothering much with the ruins anymore, they are nowhere near as interesting a thing as any of us imagined they could be. Sad, but eh, at least I can forget about them completely from now on, lol.

Frontier gonna Frontier.

SmartBase

Thing is, (yes, the following is a real spoiler)
there are multiple ruin layouts according to the game file names
. They dun goofed, or so it looks like.

Volimar

Ugh. I gave up and went to go vent my frustrations in the bounty CG.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Trying to decide whether or not i want an even modified power distributor or a weapon charged one with my FdL's 4 rapid fire pulses.

It would keep them going longer if i went for full weapons but I like having speedy boosts available too.

Trying to decide whether or not i want an even modified power distributor or a weapon charged one with my FdL's 4 rapid fire pulses.

It would keep them going longer if i went for full weapons but I like having speedy boosts available too.

Pardon? Charge Enhanced is literally always the correct answer until Frontier makes one of the other options actually meaningful. lol @ the "weapon charged" mod.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Pardon? Charge Enhanced is literally always the correct answer until Frontier makes one of the other options actually meaningful. lol @ the "weapon charged" mod.

Lol yeah charged enhanced is actually just generally so good, but the weapons focused one gives me soo much cap and recharge, at the cost of so much on the other capacitors.

I went with charged enhanced grade 3, the only reason why I briefly considered doing weapon focused is because i have the mats to do grade 5 on that right away lol.

I'm doing a really stupid funny set up on my FdL right now where I did a rapid fire mod with incendiary rounds on the 4A MC which makes it fire like 50% faster and 4 pulse cannons also with rapid fire but i put scramble on them, I don't know if stacking scramble works well or not but it's hilarious watching the other person try to spool up their FSD 3 times in a row because it keeps malfunctioning.

Sibylus

Banned
Goy my first FDL a few days ago. Huge beam laser and four medium cannons is pretty fun, and for the first time I feel like I can hunt bigger prey than myself without help.

(Clippers are so soft and tasty)

vector824

I ran my FDL with a beam laser and four multicannons. They shred the hull on anything.

One huge beam and the rest multicannons is how my vette is outfitted too. Yep, everything is tissue paper.

Goy my first FDL a few days ago. Huge beam laser and four medium cannons is pretty fun, and for the first time I feel like I can hunt bigger prey than myself without help.

(Clippers are so soft and tasty)

Same here on my FDL. Having that huge beam melt shields and the 4 OC multi's shredding hulls is sooooo satisfying. Punches well above it's weight for sure.

Sibylus

Banned
Should note that in my case, single-shot fixed cannons are what I'm running and a fixed beam laser. The damage gain once I got used to my HOTAS is great.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Third Alien Ruins site found in IC 2391 Sector ZE-A D101 Planet C3 Lat: 29.42 Long: -59.54, it's different from the others according to Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5qzj4v/3rd_alien_ruins_site_found/
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5qzjh6/third_ruins_site_found_different_layout/
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange..._alien_ruins_found_and_its_not_a_copy_of_the/

o90OG4F.png

Dizzy-4U

I left the game a couple of months ago to take a break (worn out after all those Sothis runs) and oh man, now I'm getting pretty much locked 60fps inside the stations. Nice to see the developer still polishing the existing game and not just adding new content every week.

DrBo42

I left the game a couple of months ago to take a break (worn out after all those Sothis runs) and oh man, now I'm getting pretty much locked 60fps inside the stations. Nice to see the developer still polishing the existing game and not just adding new content every week.

Oh there's no worry about that with Frontier.

Moose84

Do people think the Thargoids update will be a paid one, similar to Horizons? Any ETA on it?

Quick question, is this far from inhabited space? If I wanted to interract with these ruins, what would I need to bring?

DrBo42

Do people think the Thargoids update will be a paid one, similar to Horizons? Any ETA on it?

Quick question, is this far from inhabited space? If I wanted to interract with these ruins, what would I need to bring?
Everything in Horizons is covered under its cost, like a season pass. 2.0 through 2.4. 2.3 goes into beta late February. We don't know if a Thargoid war is coming this season but we're assuming so.

For the ruins you just need an SRV equipped in a planetary hangar slot. Should be only a few hundred ly from the bubble.

Approx 535 ly from Sol.

Moose84

Everything in Horizons is covered under its cost, like a season pass. 2.0 through 2.4. 2.3 goes into beta late February. We don't know if a Thargoid war is coming this season but we're assuming so.

For the ruins you just need an SRV equipped in a planetary hangar slot. Should be only a few hundred ly from the bubble.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect they might make the Thargoid war 3.0 and make it a paid update like Horizons.

Is there anything to do at Ruins? Scanning them for credits etc?

DrBo42

Thanks for the reply. I suspect they might make the Thargoid war 3.0 and make it a paid update like Horizons.

You put a combination of two ancient items in your SRV cargo hold to decode obelisk data. Only certain combinations work with certain obelisks.

There's a mission you can pickup by landing at a specific port somewhere that gives 100 mil reward when you collect all the intel. I can't remember what system that is, you'd need to look it up. Just landing gives you the mission in the comms tab like a mission update. To complete the mission you'd need to go to all ruins sites and do the item combos again etc etc.

Moose84

You put a combination of two ancient items in your SRV cargo hold to decode obelisk data. Only certain combinations work with certain obelisks.

There's a mission you can pickup by landing at a specific port somewhere that gives 100 mil reward when you collect all the intel. I can't remember what system that is, you'd need to look it up. Just landing gives you the mission in the comms tab like a mission update. To complete the mission you'd need to go to all ruins sites and do the item combos again etc etc.

Many thanks, a couple of final questions sorry... Where do we get the ancient items to decode the data?

Sounds like it's pretty lucrative to go to all three ruin sites then? Is data from the first two still salvageable?

DrBo42

Many thanks, a couple of final questions sorry... Where do we get the ancient items to decode the data?

Sounds like it's pretty lucrative to go to all three ruin sites then? Is data from the first two still salvageable?
The items are scattered around the sites themselves. Don't worry about bringing them into the main ship and lugging them to the next site, doesn't work like that.

They're all still active. Not sure if this new site will even be enough to complete the mission.

OugElrv.png

Found on Reddit. Got a chuckle out of the "lizard" option.

I kinda expect Frontier to sell avatar stuff, I hope they include a good number of customization options for free though. How far do you think they will take it?

Their pricing also needs to be not shit if they do go this route. If it's $5 for one hairstyle people will riot. If it's $5 for a pack of 20 hairstyles, might be less of a riot.

No $60 monocles though.

Guestimates/clues as to what's in 2.3: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5r05wt/guestimates_at_whats_in_23/

Nailed on:
Multi-crew :)
Cmdr Creator now including head fur
New mission content [1][2]

Very Probable (From the PS4 Trailer):
Asteroid stations [1]
New giant ship [1]

Very Possible:
The 'future gameplay' planned for the CQC installations. [1]
Ship naming in some form [1]
Moar Engineer blueprints
General QoL massaging

Never Know...
Caves and associated planets featuring erosion? The Brabes hinted heavily that they're in the works, and they have made significant additions to the surfaces with each update.
More visuals to represent faction status and changes as hinted by Dav? [1]
The Dolphin?
New SRV? (We know more are planned)
Alliance content? (Brabes seems to suggest it would follow on after the alien encounter)
Tionisla Orbital Graveyard [1]

Moose84

The items are scattered around the sites themselves. Don't worry about bringing them into the main ship and lugging them to the next site, doesn't work like that.

They're all still active. Not sure if this new site will even be enough to complete the mission.

I've collected 11 million worth of data, do you think it's worth turning it in or should I be making my way to 100 million? I know I can start the mission again but waiting would save me having to collect those 11 again, or do I not have to?

DrBo42

I've collected 11 million worth of data, do you think it's worth turning it in or should I be making my way to 100 million? I know I can start the mission again but waiting would save me having to collect those 11 again, or do I not have to?
I'd imagine you can't pick it up again after turning it in...would be pretty unlike the rest of the game's mission functionality. Personally I'd wait for the max reward.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So anyone have any good CZ mission locations at the moment? I'm just filtering by civil war but most places have bad mission spawns, i wanna make some fun bucks by shooting down things in CZs.

Edit: Oh man 17 draconis should be back in full swing civil way by tomorrow. Looks like we're going to team up with jet bridge

HereticJ

I'd imagine you can't pick it up again after turning it in...would be pretty unlike the rest of the game's mission functionality. Personally I'd wait for the max reward.

Not true actually. A buddy and I have done the ruins missions multiple times. In fact, for a while we picked up the 13 or so obelisk data scans, flew to Meene, picked up 13 mil and redocked to receive the mission again, then repeat the process. You can do it as often as you would like as long as the mission timer is still counting down.

Pomerlaw

It is actually pretty boring. I didn't bother scanning them, but it was fun to see all the CMDRs on the site.

DrBo42

Not true actually. A buddy and I have done the ruins missions multiple times. In fact, for a while we picked up the 13 or so obelisk data scans, flew to Meene, picked up 13 mil and redocked to receive the mission again, then repeat the process. You can do it as often as you would like as long as the mission timer is still counting down.

LOL. Why would they allow that?

So anyone have any good CZ mission locations at the moment? I'm just filtering by civil war but most places have bad mission spawns, i wanna make some fun bucks by shooting down things in CZs.

Edit: Oh man 17 draconis should be back in full swing civil way by tomorrow. Looks like we're going to team up with jet bridge

Ohh I was stranded because of lockdown, exited to crack some more space skulls for sweet, sweet credit.

Top Bottom