• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

darkwing

Good lord there's too much RNG in Engineers. I'm trying to get some fucking Electrochemical Arrays, and according to this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...=drive_web&usp=sheets_home&ths=true&sle=true#

They are MORE common than the other thing I needed (which I got), Conductive Polymers. I have killed many transport ships and checked many shipwrecks and have yet to get one. I understand Frontier doesn't want everyone to go for the same Engineered modules, but can we at least get some consistency here?

I would honestly be okay with a consistent way to find the materials (even if said method involves something like having to beat a wing of Elite Anacondas), as long as it was consistent, and keep the random rolling. Either that, or drop the random rolling and keep finding the materials the way it is.

Everything else in the game before Engineers NEVER suffered from any of the problems Engineers has, and that's quite telling. Exploration, trade, bounty hunting, combat zone farming, powerplay, all had their own issues, but the thing all of them had in common was consistency. You could always do these things, and sure, some methods took longer than others, but you knew what to expect and weren't running on a wild goose chase for hours only to have it give you a giant middle finger when you get back to the station.

Frontier has clearly made some fixes to Engineers since it launched, but they ain't done, and if they think they are they shouldn't be. Changes like the materials only going in the "Materials" inventory and not cargo was good. At least adding a ship delivery system (even if is also riddled with issues), was good. The frustrating thing is that a lot of what they would need to do to fix it would not be incredibly hard to implement.

On another note, I really wish you could buy Collector Limpets without a cargo rack for collecting materials. Trying to scoop loot with the Fer-De-Lance can be quite a difficult task especially for these tiny materials.

Also I figure I'll ask a dumb question: Does a manifest scanner tell you what materials a ship will drop when it's destroyed?

Engineering is a hell hole, just another grind to the game

Hylian7

Engineering is a hell hole, just another grind to the game
That's the thing: all the other grinds have consistency to them. Engineers does not, and makes it frustrating and even more of a grind.

I kind of envy the explorers in a way, outside the bubble able to practically ignore this Engineer stuff unless they really need their FSD upgraded. I like the combat too much to go to full time exploration though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Aaand I actually completely agree with you. ;) In some sense you repeated my post in other words,no?

After giving your post a second read, yes, I suppose so!
I wasn't conscious of it, though. I do try to write my answers in my own words ;)

Silent Running is your best friend. Back on release, I madfe shitloads of credits shuttling slaves around, and I was powersliding into docking bays with silent running on to avoid attention. Good times.

Silent running is such a cool mechanic. Great risk/reward factor.

You just have to make sure you know what you're doing.

darkwing

That's the thing: all the other grinds have consistency to them. Engineers does not, and makes it frustrating and even more of a grind.

I kind of envy the explorers in a way, outside the bubble able to practically ignore this Engineer stuff unless they really need their FSD upgraded. I like the combat too much to go to full time exploration though.

yup, I don't get the Engineer RNG, this isn't a MMO strict game like Destiny or Eve Online

After giving your post a second read, yes, I suppose so!
I wasn't conscious of it, though. I do try to write my answers in my own words ;)

Silent running is such a cool mechanic. Great risk/reward factor.

You just have to make sure you know what you're doing.

That was funny. But the CMDR didn't need to be in that much difficulty.

You can switch off silent running as soon as you're through the mail slot. I've found you don't even need to dock as quick as that either. I line up as usual, enable silent running at 5K out and just glide in as usual. If I get a little hot I pop a heat sink. But either way I remove silent running as soon as I'm through the slot.

Vorheez

I'm doing a bounty type mission (massacre?) where I need to locate three ships from this specific gold federation thing, but I don't have a clue where to find them. I feel I am just aimlessly flying around the system with no real leads.

I have already been to the NAV beacon and it sent me a message that said something along the lines of "we don't have any targets tracked, go look for them" type thing. Does anybody have some tips for me? Thank you!

Exploring saved my Elite Dangerous soul. Whenever I return to humanity, I take a break by mining or canyon racing and then I'm back into the wilderness again. I used to be a day trader.

Moondrop

Banned
I've managed to put the game down until my HOTAS arrives, but now I've gone down the reading rabbit hole. Most mind-blowing: you can find the mail slot on the spinning polyhedron-shaped stations using the right-hand rule.

Burny

I've managed to put the game down until my HOTAS arrives, but now I've gone down the reading rabbit hole. Most mind-blowing: you can find the mail slot on the spinning polyhedron-shaped stations using the right-hand rule.

It also always faces the body orbited by the station and is marked on your HUD by arrows on the station's holo's sides, that point towards the side with the entrance.

Peroroncino

I love taking screenshots while playing this game.

19943063_1578219188906581_6531650831171051406_o.jpg

19956267_1578219182239915_8552455207184974924_o.jpg

19956128_1578219178906582_7138097982453374033_o.jpg

19800775_1578219138906586_2228645158206435212_o.jpg

19956276_1578219132239920_6575333692889436716_o.jpg

19942593_1578219125573254_6632863109994957180_o.jpg

Even though I've been playing the PC version for quite a while the current CG helped me tick off a couple of firsts.

First time I've seen an asteroid base, let alone docked in one.

And also nearby the CG system I came across an Imperial mega-ship which I also docked with.

Very cool.

Peroroncino

Even though I've been playing the PC version for quite a while the current CG helped me tick off a couple of firsts.

First time I've seen an asteroid base, let alone docked in one.

And also nearby the CG system I came across an Imperial mega-ship which I also docked with.

Very cool.

Remember the system with the Imperial ship?

I'm doing a bounty type mission (massacre?) where I need to locate three ships from this specific gold federation thing, but I don't have a clue where to find them. I feel I am just aimlessly flying around the system with no real leads.

I have already been to the NAV beacon and it sent me a message that said something along the lines of "we don't have any targets tracked, go look for them" type thing. Does anybody have some tips for me? Thank you!
The massacre missions take place in Conflict Zones. Usually they occur around planets, but only show up in your navigation tab within 1000 LS.

The zones involve 2 factions fighting, but may not include the faction you need to kill for the mission. In that case you'll have fly around the solar system looking for a conflict zone with the right factions.

glaurung

Okay super noob question incoming. Please don't hurt me.

When I consider accepting a mission that points me to a star system and the map says that I cannot plot a course to it, what's the solution? I cannot eyeball a trajectory to that place. My beginner ship cannot make that jump in one go either. Probably no ships can.

What's the correct way to tackle this problem?

When I consider accepting a mission that points me to a star system and the map says that I cannot plot a course to it, what's the solution? I cannot eyeball a trajectory to that place. My beginner ship cannot make that jump in one go either. Probably no ships can.

I was confused by the same thing when I started. Accepted a mission to a system which seemed nearby, but every time I tried to plot a course it failed.

I think that you'll need to increase your jump range. You could upgrade your FSD, or try to reduce your ship's mass by removing and storing modules.

glaurung

I was confused by the same thing when I started. Accepted a mission to a system which seemed nearby, but every time I tried to plot a course it failed.

I think that you'll need to increase your jump range. You could upgrade your FSD, or try to reduce your ship's mass by removing and storing modules.
Hmm, very interesting, thank you for the reply.

So what's the real reason behind a failed course? Your ship limitations?

darkwing

The massacre missions take place in Conflict Zones. Usually they occur around planets, but only show up in your navigation tab within 1000 LS.

The zones involve 2 factions fighting, but may not include the faction you need to kill for the mission. In that case you'll have fly around the solar system looking for a conflict zone with the right factions.

I noticed you can take missions from either of the warring factions, what happens if you take both?

It means that the closest system to your destination is longer than your ship's jump range. Therefore it's impossible to reach your destination without a longer jump range.

I noticed you can take missions from either of the warring factions, what happens if you take both?
You should be able to do them both, but not at the same time. When you jump into the instance you have an option to choose which side to fight for (it's hidden away within your ship's menus on the far right panel). After you finish the requirements for one mission you can supercruise out of the conflict zone, then back into it. You can then pick the option to fight for the other side.

To start with I was totally confused and thought that the plot course function in the galaxy map was useless.

I think that the reason you get the plot course failed is that one or more jumps on any possible course between your location and destination exceeds the limit of your current ship.

The range for a single jump depends on your FSD and the mass of your ship and cargo. I ended up putting my weapons, shield, planetary landing stuff, etc into storage to extend the range as much as possible.

Widge

5 million to spend.

Do I kit out my vanilla Cobra Mk3?
Do I buy and kit out a Viper (either) for combat fun?
Do I hold fire, do another CG and go for the defacto AspX/

I'm not sure I'm ripe for exploring or trading at the moment, so was thinking a bit of mission and CG shooty fun. Assuming that by the time I have had my fill and want to do something different, I can probably afford something new by that point.

I'm also thinking of some sort of personal aim for a ship and the Imperial Clipper seems pretty sexy. How difficult is it to achieve one of these?

5 million to spend.

I'm not sure I'm ripe for exploring or trading at the moment, so was thinking a bit of mission and CG shooty fun. Assuming that by the time I have had my fill and want to do something different, I can probably afford something new by that point.

I'm also thinking of some sort of personal aim for a ship and the Imperial Clipper seems pretty sexy. How difficult is it to achieve one of these?
Getting a Dolphin to do passenger missions might be worthwhile if your looking for a change of pace. It's a great little ship to fly.

I spent a few days using it before moving on to the Asp Ex.

5 million to spend.

Cobra+Viper is a good cheap idea. If you feel like going for something beefier, you could grind some more and get a Vulture (5M + some upgrades + rebuy, minus 15% if you buy from Li-Yong Rui, which you should); that will serve you in combat for a long time. AspX is great for exploring, passengers and general mission running.

Clipper requires rank 7 in the Empire, which means quite a bit of work. I'm not up on the hottest ways of grinding rep these days, but the best shortcuts are easily found by googling.

Widge

Getting a Dolphin to do passenger missions might be worthwhile if your looking for a change of pace. It's a great little ship to fly.

Didn't think about this. Could be fun just to pootle about as per the demands of customers.

Would fuel scooping be a mandatory skill to learn?

Well finally figured out docking and approaches over the weekend, (I had been busy with TSW on my plate as well), and the whole 'sweet spot' thing works perfectly now that I understand it. Did the combat training, which was cake, and went to start the game proper.

It dropped me in a location with no missions I could run, and the next closest system was 8LY (or whatever the units are) away, the ship can only go like 6.7? I dunno. Gonna reroll and watch some more tutorials.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, Very nice, i could see me in exact that position.

I like to imagine the scene playing out from the traffic controller's viewpoint.
waitwhat.gif

You can switch off silent running as soon as you're through the mail slot. I've found you don't even need to dock as quick as that either. I line up as usual, enable silent running at 5K out and just glide in as usual. If I get a little hot I pop a heat sink. But either way I remove silent running as soon as I'm through the slot.

Duly noted! I'll er...be sure to let him know.
*Cries self to sleep*

Hylian7

Just keep in mind at the outposts, they can still scan you while you're locked to the platform.

If I had a dollar for every smuggling mission where I couldn't get scanned that I lost...

I really hope they fixed that, because literally the only way to escape it was to log out. Especially if it's the case of you being down below, taking the missions, then hitting Launch and you get scanned as soon as you're taking off.

Acorn

How in the blue hell do you kill goaliaths?

I didn't even get a look at it properly before my buggy was toast. I assume a goaliath is one of those skimmers that killed me?

Edit and my ship was toast even quicker.

I like to imagine the scene playing out from the traffic controller's viewpoint.
waitwhat.gif

Duly noted! I'll er...be sure to let him know.
*Cries self to sleep*

:)

Just keep in mind at the outposts, they can still scan you while you're locked to the platform.

If I had a dollar for every smuggling mission where I couldn't get scanned that I lost...

I really hope they fixed that, because literally the only way to escape it was to log out. Especially if it's the case of you being down below, taking the missions, then hitting Launch and you get scanned as soon as you're taking off.

Didn't know that. I've only done silent running into mail slots, not to an outpost.

Also I did find for a while the docking computer is handy for smuggling. Use it to get lined up. At 5K adjust the throttle and go silent, that way the computer stays off. And just as you hit the slot throttle down and the docking computer takes over. Can take some of the stress out of the process.

Didn't think about this. Could be fun just to pootle about as per the demands of customers.

Would fuel scooping be a mandatory skill to learn?
Yeah, fuel scooping is really useful if you want to travel longer distances (without wasting time doing economical jumps). It's much faster than docking at a station to refuel as well.

As a skill there's not really too much to learn. You just need to fly around close to a star, without crashing into it, and keep an eye on your temperature to keep it below 100%. Usually I pull away to cool down at around 80%.

In the fitting department, a high letter rating power plant makes a big difference to help reduce heat build up when scooping. The fuel scoop itself should be in the largest slot that you're happy to spare. High rates scoops can be fairly expensive so your may have to start off with a low quality one and work you're way up to when you can afford it.

Oh and always remember the letters 'KGB FOAM' because these are the only stars that can be scooped. I usually check galaxy map to find the closest if my full tank starts to get low, but most of the time you won't have to if you scoop at every star on your route.

There are no Alliance ships yet. In Elite lore, Alliance are reverse-engineering Thargoid vessels, so I imagine they'd add pilotable Thargoid ships that need Alliance ranks at some point.

Yeah, none yet. There have been some hints or just teasing bits from Braben about them coming in the future. I'd imagine a Thargoid war is when the Alliance would show up with something. Or maybe they take the opportunity while the Federation and Empire and dealing with it to try and seize systems.

Oh, then it would be good to start ranking up with them as well. I don't want a nice ship to be behind a rank I have to grind for.

Is there any point in joining a faction when it just puts a target on my noob back?

Powerplay doesn't really cause any problems, except for the potential for players to kill/grief you in the name of whatever cockwomble rules their faction.
Players won't be treated as criminals if they kill opposing faction players on their home turf.
NPCs won't attack you unless you are carrying specific powerplay-related cargo. Otherwise, they just scan you and then go away (this is a recent change, they used to sometimes attack you).

Powerplay has the following advantages:

A salary: Which is very low compared to the work/time required.

Power-specific bonuses at Rank 2: These can be worth having, especially if your power is in the top 3 powers.
For example, Lavigny-Duval gives a bonus to bounty/combat-bonds rewards of 20-50%. And rank 2 is quite easy to maintain.
On the other hand, most bonuses are trash and not worth the hassle of reporting to control systems every week to maintain the rewards.

Power-specific items at Rank 3: This is the main reason people powerplay. Some items (prism shields, packhound missiles) are pretty cool. So you pledge to a power and do nothing for 3 weeks. Then you grind the 750 merits. Then you buy the items. Then you unpledge from the faction. Then next week you pledge to the next one and repeat the cycle. It's not exactly a great system.

Power-specific bonuses at Rank 5: These can be very big bonuses, but the grind required to maintain this rank means it's basically working a second job. By the time you've earned all those merits, you won't have time to enjoy the 100% bounty voucher bonus or whatever.

Oh, and some people like the roleplay aspect of powerplay. There are a few player groups that are centred on it.

Acorn

Powerplay doesn't really cause any problems, except for the potential for players to kill/grief you in the name of whatever cockwomble rules their faction.
Players won't be treated as criminals if they kill opposing faction players on their home turf.
NPCs won't attack you unless you are carrying specific powerplay-related cargo. Otherwise, they just scan you and then go away (this is a recent change, they used to sometimes attack you).

Power-specific bonuses at Rank 2: These can be worth having, especially if your power is in the top 3 powers.
For example, Lavigny-Duval gives a bonus to bounty/combat-bonds rewards of 20-50%. And rank 2 is quite easy to maintain.
On the other hand, most bonuses are trash and not worth the hassle of reporting to control systems every week to maintain the rewards.

Power-specific items at Rank 3: This is the main reason people powerplay. Some items (prism shields, packhound missiles) are pretty cool. So you pledge to a power and do nothing for 3 weeks. Then you grind the 750 merits. Then you buy the items. Then you unpledge from the faction. Then next week you pledge to the next one and repeat the cycle. It's not exactly a great system.

Power-specific bonuses at Rank 5: These can be very big bonuses, but the grind required to maintain this rank means it's basically working a second job. By the time you've earned all those merits, you won't have time to enjoy the 100% bounty voucher bonus or whatever.

Oh, and some people like the roleplay aspect of powerplay. There are a few player groups that are centred on it.
Hmm might aswell join someone then, I'm just doing tons of high paying delivery jobs at the moment. Probably try my hand at some bounty hunting.

Hylian7

About a year ago I used to spend the time hauling power cargo every week to get rank 5 (you start with half of the previous week's merits). It usually took me around two hours a week to haul all that with my Anaconda. And then I didn't even do the bounty hunting every week, so I eventually just stopped. I'll settle for my extra 20-50%.

Don't take the mission. You should always use the option to open the galaxy map from the mission page - see if it's something you can do.

Just do a little local work. It's less than an hour's work at the beginning of the game to go from your basic ship to either have it upgraded with a decent working jump range.

About a year ago I used to spend the time hauling power cargo every week to get rank 5 (you start with half of the previous week's merits). It usually took me around two hours a week to haul all that with my Anaconda. And then I didn't even do the bounty hunting every week, so I eventually just stopped. I'll settle for my extra 20-50%.

I used to get rank 4 by killing NPCs (interdictions or combat zones) for Duval.
That was when 5 million for 2-hour's play was a good profit (plus the 20-50% bounty bonus, since Duval was regularly #1 at the time)

Rank 5 was too much, and I don;t have a huge hauling ship. Plus, it's the only time I've really spent time being an interdictor instead of an interdictee, which was a lot more fun than travelling between 2 docks until I'd done 5000 tons of cargo.

By the way, why were you after that engineering item (electrochemical arrays?) I didn't think they were much use, though I don't think I've ever had many of them. I've usually had enough random crap to spam arbitrary upgrades until I'm rank 4 or 5, then I'm having to hunt for the specific materials for the upgrade I actually want..
The worst for me were the "very rare" transporter wake scanning item, or the "high grade emissions" items that you need for rank 5 stuff.

I'm currently doing the "firmware" grind for multicannons and thrusters, though at least there's some gameplay to that, and lots of variation between the base types (and planetary gravity).
I'm stunned that someone has actually wrote a program to plan a suitable route for the base-scanning materials.
https://github.com/neotron/EDPathFinder/releases/
Just... wow!

Hylian7

I used to get rank 4 by killing NPCs (interdictions or combat zones) for Duval.
That was when 5 million for 2-hour's play was a good profit (plus the 20-50% bounty bonus, since Duval was regularly #1 at the time)

Rank 5 was too much, and I don;t have a huge hauling ship. Plus, it's the only time I've really spent time being an interdictor instead of an interdictee, which was a lot more fun than travelling between 2 docks until I'd done 5000 tons of cargo.

By the way, why were you after that engineering item (electrochemical arrays?) I didn't think they were much use. I've usually had enough random crap to spam arbitrary upgrades until I'm rank 4 or 5, then I'm having to hunt for the specific materials for the upgrade I actually want..
The worst for me were the "very rare" transporter wake scanning item, or the "high grade emissions" items that you need for rank 5 stuff.

I'm currently doing the "firmware" grind for multicannons and thrusters, though at least there's some gameplay to that, and lots of variation between the base types (and planetary gravity).
I'm stunned that someone has actually wrote a program to plan a suitable route for the base-scanning materials.
https://github.com/neotron/EDPathFinder/releases/
Just... wow!

I can't remember which one it was exactly, but I was trying to get a grade 4 multicannon. Can I just spam 1 and 2 stuff to get to grade 5 and just get that instead?

coming in on the wrong side of a planet when the base you need to land on is on the other side is frustrating.

I still can't work out how to determine which side a base is on until it is already too late

I see a circle with solid lines so I go for it because that is my target as I get closer it becomes - - - - - - - - - broken lines circle meaning it is on the other side of this damn rock

such a time waster.

anyone know the best way to do this?

Hylian7

coming in on the wrong side of a planet when the base you need to land on is on the other side is frustrating.

I still can't work out how to determine which side a base is on until it is already too late

I see a circle with solid lines so I go for it because that is my target as I get closer it becomes - - - - - - - - - broken lines circle meaning it is on the other side of this damn rock

such a time waster.

anyone know the best way to do this?

You want to approach about a quarter away around the planet from the base, so when you glide you'll pretty much glide straight to the base. From a distance, angle yourself where the base is on the "top" of the planet for you, then go halfway down and come in flat that way.

Reckheim

Guys, I have a GTX970, I see that oculus is on sale. If I don't care about running the game on super max but do you think my comp can run it on medium settings in VR?

Edit: i'd pretty much only be getting oculus for Elite, not interested in mini games.

You want to approach about a quarter away around the planet from the base, so when you glide you'll pretty much glide straight to the base. From a distance, angle yourself where the base is on the "top" of the planet for you, then go halfway down and come in flat that way.

I don't understand. How do you know which side a base is on in the first place? I want to learn how not to enter the wrong side of the planet but it is hard to know what is the wrong side of the planet when the target keeps showing up as a solid Circle and then after all the work of gliding down is done and I get closer to land it shows up as a ------ broken dash circle meaning I am still far away from the base which is on the other side of the planet I just came in.

DEZRnRTUIAAfu8p.jpg

the above is a pic I just took, the target is the white dot on my radar and that is the planet I want to land at. So Are you saying that the best way to know I am on the right side is to have the white dot at the top of my radar. Because all the glide slope stuff is not really an issue.

my problem with this planet is this base is not normal at all I had to discover it by scanning the planet it is annoying because even after I had scanned it I am still having issues with it showing up as unexplored sometimes. The base does not show up using the Surface Map feature

here is my target, it looks good and solid
DEZT0R1VoAAqvLE.jpg

go in closer oops wrong side of the planet
DEZUIkRU0AA-E8s.jpg

Reckheim

I don't understand. How do you know which side a base is on in the first place? I want to learn how not to enter the wrong side of the planet but it is hard to know what is the wrong side of the planet when the target keeps showing up as a solid Circle and then after all the work of gliding down is done and I get closer to land it shows up as a ------ broken dash circle meaning I am still far away from the base which is on the other side of the planet I just came in.

DEZRnRTUIAAfu8p.jpg

the above is a pic I just took, the target is the white dot on my radar and that is the planet I want to land at. So Are you saying that the best way to know I am on the right side is to have the white dot at the top of my radar. Because all the glide slope stuff is not really an issue.

my problem with this planet is this base is not normal at all I had to discover it by scanning the planet it is annoying because even after I had scanned it I am still having issues with it showing up as unexplored sometimes. The base does not show up using the Surface Map feature

From what I can see you are only targeting the planet that's why the circle keeps moving. Its always going to be targeting the very center of the planet.

If the base isn't on the planet surface map you are kind of screwed as you will need to go by coordinates (as far as i know there isn't currently a way of marking a point on a landable planet).

Freeman76

This game is constantly pissing me off but i spent 40 quid on this and im determined to get my monies worth.

I have managed to earn about 40k doing boring data transfer quests but every fucking job i take is a few systems away and I cant read the galaxy map for shit. I can never plot a route because its too far or some shit. fucking game

DrBo42

Yeah it doesn't look like you're actually targeting a base. You can go into the System Map, and zoom into the planet until the bases show up in the 3d view of it. Lock your target there or simply in the Navigation panel there will be a list if you've got a scan of the system.

Hylian7

From what I can see you are only targeting the planet that's why the circle keeps moving. Its always going to be targeting the very center of the planet.

If the base isn't on the planet surface map you are kind of screwed as you will need to go by coordinates (as far as i know there isn't currently a way of marking a point on a landable planet).

If you're close enough to the planet, you should see the base just appear on the locations in the left panel. I didn't realize he had the planet targeted, I thought he had the base targeted and couldn't get to it for some reason.

Top Bottom