• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's a bit out of my price range! I haven't even broke million yet.

nah fuck the Courier. you're not hauling shit in that. Cobra is the right ship at the right price.

After that, you can decide if you want to go pure combat (Courier or straight to Vulture) or continue with multi-role ships with the Asp.

nah fuck the Courier. you're not hauling shit in that. Cobra is the right ship at the right price.

After that, you can decide if you want to go pure combat (Courier or straight to Vulture) or continue with multi-role ships with the Asp.

Yeah, I went with a Cobra. Also the docking computer is amazing, should have got one long ago.

3CCD70427F727D6D0D97E4C4726C64B3EE71E043

Echoplx

So is there some trick to finding other players? I can't seem to actually find anyone else. I'm in the Lave area which is meant to be pretty active.

Castef

Banned
Playing it now on Xbox One.

It seems an excellent porting.
Yet, very unfriendly game. It is the Dark Souls of space games.

ironcreed

Banned
LOL, I can't even figure out how to dock. Every time I enter the area it tells me that I am unauthorized. I think I'll pass. Way too much frustration.

brentech

LOL, I can't even figure out how to dock. Every time I enter the area it tells me that I am unauthorized. I think I'll pass. Way too much frustration.

You're probably in a beginning area, so it's probably an overcrowded station that just doesn't have room for you at the moment. Once you get out of there, it's not an issue at all.

komorebi

Haha, yeah I can't tell you how many simple things like this I had to Google. To dock you need to be within 7km of the station and then actually request to dock on the Contact menu (iirc). Then comes the fun part: landing!

I recommend you give it at least a few hours before writing the game off, but I can understand your frustration. It throws you to the wolves and laughs at you.

Docking request denied.

Happen to me a few times when I first started to play, didn't know what I was doing wrong. Figured out a little while later that stations can be full!

It can be. Not in solo but in open, but it's rare. Some beginning areas could be busy enough. You also get access denied if you are too far from the station when you request docking.

It can be. Not in solo but in open, but it's rare. Some beginning areas could be busy enough. You also get access denied if you are too far from the station when you request docking.

It actually happen to me last night. I guess I'm still in a beginning area, most of the ships were Sidewinders. I'm guessing players move on to the more profitable systems?

Patchy

Banned
Anyone having huge stuttering and lag all of a sudden?

I swapped my R9 290 for a 980 ti and it has appeared only in this game.

The 980 ti runs everything else flawlessly. Elite has basically become unplayable.

Shifty76

So smuggling imperial slaves into systems where they're banned can sure give some nice profits.

Got sick of the power constraints of the B8 plant in my anaconda so decided to run some trades for a while to earn cash for the A8.

Selling illicit imperial slaves one way, gold the other. Between the two it's 3792/t profit, and one round trip takes 10 mins. With 448t cargo space that's right around 10m/hr. Not too shabby - a week or so of running that should get me that power plant.

ironcreed

Banned
You're probably in a beginning area, so it's probably an overcrowded station that just doesn't have room for you at the moment. Once you get out of there, it's not an issue at all.

It was the training section and I did not know how to request docking. I'm sure I gave up too soon out of frustration and may give it more of a fair shake. But I can just tell that there is going to be a big hump to get over, so I am not sure if I want to bother.

Zalusithix

So smuggling imperial slaves into systems where they're banned can sure give some nice profits.

Got sick of the power constraints of the B8 plant in my anaconda so decided to run some trades for a while to earn cash for the A8.

Selling illicit imperial slaves one way, gold the other. Between the two it's 3792/t profit, and one round trip takes 10 mins. With 448t cargo space that's right around 10m/hr. Not too shabby - a week or so of running that should get me that power plant.
Just don't get caught. The fines will eat into your profit margins quite a bit.

Castef

Banned
The game basically treats you like you're a fully trained space pilot right out of academy
(very little is outright explained in-game) and is extremely unforgiving.

Exactly. Even the tutorial sessions cover just a part of what you need to know for starting playing.

Castef

Banned
Have to agree to some extent. I started this game a few days ago and I'm still easing* my way into it, but I love it so far. It is very noob-unfriendly but once you get the basics down its a lot of fun.

No, i disagree. This is not noob-unfriendly.

This is noob-enemy.

Shifty76

Just don't get caught. The fines will eat into your profit margins quite a bit.
It's in Archon Delaine territory so security seems to be less. Haven't been scanned yet. Well...not on the illegal leg of the run anyway. They scan me every time when I'm carrying gold. I am getting pretty good at boosting into the station though :)

Should probably sell the docking computer since I only switch it on once I'm through the letterbox.

Okay so. Made $52,000,000.00 trading yesterday.

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would and the mini-game of finding the best deals is kinda interesting. Perhaps it was more entertaining because I set a arbitrary target amount of money to make ahead of time and just pushed towards it. I also have to do that when driving across states so that I don't get bored and start falling asleep. It was also nice because I could watch some news, some twitch, some netflix while I "worked". Things that aren't real options when playing ED in a combat capacity. You always have to be paying attention, especially in RES sites where you might miss a big bounty target by not visually identifying laser fire in the distance or some such.

Trading also serves as a nice break for the wrist after too much fixed-hardpoint combat. But I can also say I didn't enjoy it that much either. It really is just a nice break/alternative path to keep playing the game and progressing without having to do the same things all the time. Had some fun doing some smuggling runs because of the rush that comes with trying to get into a dock as fast as possible, but the return for the risk was only about 10% more than I was getting elsewhere so I stopped doing that. They need to un-nerf smuggling or nerf regular trading. Smuggling should earn you clearly more money than regular trading. Cartels aren't in the drug game, taking on huge risk to their lives and livelihoods to make low money. Fix that shit, FD.

Lastly, I found anti-trading NPCs (interdictors) are like fucking gnats. Rarely a real threat (only a problem if you're in a slow ship AND they can mass lock you) and mostly just fuck up your smooth course of entry into a station. They're obnoxious when you're trying to simply be efficient and you get interdicted 3 times on the way to a station only 150Ls away from the nav beacon. Like, stop it already. Also, why am I getting interdicted by random PP faction supporter NPCs hundreds of LYs away from their faction space? I was in Arissa territory being interdicted by Li Yong-Rui lackees, one of which wasn't a lackee; it was a fucking Elite Anaconda. FD, please. Li Yong-Rui space is literally 200 LYs from where I was operating. Yet they're all like, "Carrying anything nice???" Fuck off.

The only thing keeping from re-fitting this ship for combat right now is the financial goal-setting. I want to be able to afford a Prismatic Shield for every one of my ships just for swagger purposes in addition to being able to buy some more core upgrades for my latest ship purchase. That's probably going to be like $300 mill, so I'll probably need another week or two of this to get there (not sure; haven't run the numbers yet so I may need less). I just feel like trading needs to have its own sort of end-game other than to simply get more money to make it enjoyable. Like, to be able to buy your own Starport or trading outpost. Or maybe the inclusion of a full-fledged Trading ship like we see in the works for Star Citizen: a literal traveling shop. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/merchantman/Merchantman. Or maybe a way to negotiate prices based on rank or some such. IDK. Just needs more variety than the grind of finding decent trade locations within a 2 or 3-jump range at a reasonable distance from their core stars.

Yea, get out of that starter space area. Try to find a place maybe 30LY-50LY away from starting space that is highly populated (use the star map's info tab). You should run into very few issues. That said, usually docking issues are only at outposts which only have 3 or 4 docks in the first place. I've never had an issue docking at a full starport.

Anyone having huge stuttering and lag all of a sudden?

I swapped my R9 290 for a 980 ti and it has appeared only in this game.

The 980 ti runs everything else flawlessly. Elite has basically become unplayable.

I get some stutter in supercruise when being interdicted or while interdicting. I also got some on a rare occasion while hunting in RES sites, usually when I click to fire my weapons. Very frustrating when it would happen, but it wasn't terribly often. Other than that, game is pretty clean. The problem has gotten more pronounced than in past patches, IMO. More shit to fix, but certainly not game-braking.

Yea I was doing this last night. Torval space to Delanie space. I wasn't especially happy with the number of jumps I needed to get from Torval space to Delanie space and the payout was like 3.3k which didn't impress me that much. I'll see if I can find a better starting location where the territories are closer together.

Also, what power constraints are you running into with that ship? It's just a trade 'Conda at the moment, right? What do you need that requires A-grade power?

Zalusithix

Should probably sell the docking computer since I only switch it on once I'm through the letterbox.

Frankly, it's the part after you're through the letterbox that's the most difficult. Getting into the letterbox is quite easy - especially after getting used to how tight the T9 was. Landing it on the pad, on the other hand, isn't fun at all. It's quite long which gives very little leeway on what is "on target" on the one axis. The ship also blocks nearly all downward visibility and doesn't have a great upwards visibility either. You pretty much end up docking via radar. Possible, but not fun at all. For the minor amount of extra cargo I'd get from having that slot with a cargo rack, I'd prefer to just let the computer do it for me.

Frankly, it's the part after you're through the letterbox that's the most difficult. Getting into the letterbox is quite easy - especially after getting used to how tight the T9 was. Landing it on the pad, on the other hand, isn't fun at all. It's quite long which gives very little leeway on what is "on target" on the one axis. The ship also blocks nearly all downward visibility and doesn't have a great upwards visibility either. You pretty much end up docking via radar. Possible, but not fun at all. For the minor amount of extra cargo I'd get from having that slot with a cargo rack, I'd prefer to just let the computer do it for me.

Interestingly, I enjoy the sticking the landing the most of all. I find the whole process to be easy for me, though I've never flown a T9 so I can't comment on that ship. I've flown some boats with 400T+ cargo though, so I can't imagine it feels that much different. But again, never tried it so I can't comment.

I tried the docking computer and was very entertained by the music. Then I took it off after I got comfortable with the weight and drift of the big boys. Now I land like a butterfly with sore feet.

brentech

Yea. I started getting stutter at RES sites. At first I thought it was because I was streaming while playing the other day, then it happened on non streaming occasions....usually when a I gained or lost contact with ships.

That's a really annoying glitch.

Yea. I started getting stutter at RES sites. At first I thought it was because I was streaming while playing the other day, then it happened on non streaming occasions....usually when a I gained or lost contact with ships.

That's a really annoying glitch.

At one point the game stuttered when I fired my Plasma Accelerators, and suddenly my PA's would autofire every time they loaded, all by themselves. This happened twice and I had to tab out and back into the game to stop it.

FD, pls

Fortunately the stuttering hasn't caused me to fly headlong into any asteroids, but I don't like the fact that it *could* happen.

Shifty76

Also, what power constraints are you running into with that ship? It's just a trade 'Conda at the moment, right? What do you need that requires A-grade power?

None with trade conda. Actually downsized to an A5 or A6 pp on it. When I was running combat conda with 7 x boosters and 3 x scb as well as A grade nearly everything else is when it got toght.

None with trade conda. Actually downsized to an A5 or A6 pp on it. When I was running combat conda with 7 x boosters and 3 x scb as well as A grade nearly everything else is when it got toght.

Word. So the long-range plan is to be able to convert it back to a combat Conda. Yea, I can see how that would add up quickly. Even moreso if you decided to give the A7 Prismatic shield a go. It's like...$70 mill and drinks power. You literally can't add that shield to a Conda without the A-grade PP, so that's like $150 mill or whatever just for those 2 items. (okay you can add the shield without that PP, but you'll be managing power like you're flying an FdL)

Zalusithix

Interestingly, I enjoy the sticking the landing the most of all. I find the whole process to be easy for me, though I've never flown a T9 so I can't comment on that ship. I've flown some boats with 400T+ cargo though, so I can't imagine it feels that much different. But again, never tried it so I can't comment.

I tried the docking computer and was very entertained by the music. Then I took it off after I got comfortable with the weight and drift of the big boys. Now I land like a butterfly with sore feet.
To each their own I suppose. The T9 and Lakon ships in general are great for the landing experience because the view is great. You see the pad the moment you arrive in the station and keep sight of it the entire way. You get to watch the pad and surrounding buildings continually increase in size. It really gives it all a sense of scale.

With the Anaconda it's more like a submarine. Use the sensors to set up a landing that you can't necessarily see. It's doable but I just find it boring. The computer can do it just as fast, if not faster, so why bother.

I'd go back to the T9 in a heartbeat if it wasn't so gimped compared to the 'Conda. With the T9 I looked forward to every landing. With the 'Conda I look forward to NPC interdiction just to watch them commit suicide. For a trader there's something very wrong with that.

The computer can do it just as fast, if not faster, so why bother.

True. I guess I'd say, "because it takes up a spot that could be used for more cargo or something else." Since you're only using it for AFTER you get in the mail slot, you're not even giving yourself an opportunity to say...walk away and get something to drink like you could if you started auto docking from outside. and as you said, it doesn't even save you time at that point. that's a compartment in a Conda being given up for basically no real benefit other than peace of mind (which is a legitimate reason).

I have a HOTAS so maybe that's making the difference? idk. In my mind, it's like hitting every shot in golf up to the green, but having a computer hit the 1 foot putt. I used the docking computer for a couple of hours, then got the feel for the big ship and never looked back. but ymmv, of course. whatever works for ya!

Zalusithix

True. I guess I'd say, "because it takes up a spot that could be used for more cargo or something else." Since you're only using it for AFTER you get in the mail slot, you're not even giving yourself an opportunity to say...walk away and get something to drink like you could if you started auto docking from outside. and as you said, it doesn't even save you time at that point. that's a compartment in a Conda being given up for basically no real benefit other than peace of mind (which is a legitimate reason).

I have a HOTAS so maybe that's making the difference? idk. In my mind, it's like hitting every shot in golf up to the green, but having a computer hit the 1 foot putt. I used the docking computer for a couple of hours, then got the feel for the big ship and never looked back. but ymmv, of course. whatever works for ya!
Slot wise, it's a size size 2 which means 4 cargo. 432 vs 436 is negligible. I literally make 99% as much profit, but I get to cut out the part I find the least enjoyable. Easy decision on my end.

I also use a HOTAS, so that's not a factor in the enjoyment. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the 'Conda. I use it for its practicality. FD made it an expensive ship that is pretty much one of the best ships at every single role. Cost aside, there's very little reason to not use it. Highly shielded with lots of hardpoints and plenty of power for combat. Lots of cargo space, next to impossible to mass lock, and high jump range for trading. That same jump range combined with the survivability also makes it a reliable explorer. I want to use something else, but FD hasn't given us a viable pure trader for the end game. Hopefully the Panther Clipper wont be range gimped like the T9. If it is range limited, then they better make that SOB carry a lot more. Like twice that of the 'Conda.

Shifty76

Ahahaha, was heading in to dock with my latest batch of imperial slaves, wife wanted something so I quit paying attention to what was going on in game. Next thing I know, scanned and fined for illegal cargo. 1.5m or something crazy like that.

Smuggling is good money! My last run I made +200k, yeah I know that's chump change for a lot of people here, but it's a lot for me at this stage. I do get interdicted a lot, however I just let them and then kill them for some more money. Last guy was in an Adder lol.

Ahahaha, was heading in to dock with my latest batch of imperial slaves, wife wanted something so I quit paying attention to what was going on in game. Next thing I know, scanned and fined for illegal cargo. 1.5m or something crazy like that.

yea I gave up on the smuggle runs.

I went to my spot in Archon space 3 times...and in all 3 times I got scanned going into the dock. All 3 times I had to boost in from just outside the mail slot. All 3 times I had to kiss the back of the station. It's not worth it for the extra few hundred thousand credits. Especially considering that's like 3 or 4 jumps just to get there. Maybe if scans were less frequent or if I was level 5 in his powerplay (such that I'd get 0 fines regardless), I'd feel differently. As it stands, I'm good on having a 100% scan rate. That's fuckin nonsense.

Burny

What distinguishes low- from high-intensity conflict zones? Got into a low one yesterday and there sure was ample supply of elite Anacondas and Pythons.

Also had a thought yesterday: what if CQC were to eventually become a Free 2 Play mode? They can still lock the "PU" behind the game's purchase, but a free to play CQC might lower the barrier of entry considerable for new players. Considering how successful some other vehicle based free 2 play games have become, such a business model might also provide frontier with a long term funding for the game.

Curious what Gamescom will bring.

DrBo42

What distinguishes low- from high-intensity conflict zones? Got into a low one yesterday and there sure was ample supply of elite Anacondas and Pythons.

Also had a thought yesterday: what if CQC were to eventually become a Free 2 Play mode? They can still lock the "PU" behind the game's purchase, but a free to play CQC might lower the barrier of entry considerable for new players. Considering how successful some other vehicle based free 2 play games have become, such a business model might also provide frontier with a long term funding for the game.

Curious what Gamescom will bring.

Pilot rank. Elite etc.

Shifty76

Thought I'd give open play a whirl again last night.

Trade anaconda only armed enough to deal with npcs.

Got interdicted by a player clipper in a wing with 2 vultures and a fdl. No comms or anything, they just opened fire.

Managed to jump out (thank goodness the anaconda is mostly mass lock proof) with 30% hull remaining.

I'm all for legit pvp piracy, and would have been happy to drop cargo for them had they asked, but random attacks like that remind me why I stick to mobius private group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom