• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was dead too fast to tell but I assume player because of how fast it happened? I mean I literally got knocked out and was dead within 5 seconds.

Watch for the symbols on your radar. Square means a ship, triangle means a ship with deployed weapons, solid means npc, open means player. So a hostile player would be an open triangle.

I was dead too fast to tell but I assume player because of how fast it happened? I mean I literally got knocked out and was dead within 5 seconds.

For next time, at the death screen it will tell you. if it says "CMDR xxxxx" it was a human.

Any predictions for the Gamescom feature reveal? Really hoping for some direct trading/ship to ship docking.

Not being a pre-launch backer, I don't even know what they were promising to anticipate what may be coming. I kinda like it like that, as it means I have no expectations beyond what already is. And at somewhere around 400 hours, I can say I've already gotten more than my monies worth. Anything going forward is truly icing on the cake for me.

Great, thanks. I honestly was annoyed enough that I walked away after it happened and got lunch :p

What ship should I get after the hauler for a trading profession? Currently have 700K

Great, thanks. I honestly was annoyed enough that I walked away after it happened and got lunch :p

What ship should I get after the hauler for a trading profession? Currently have 700K

Cobra. Solid trading and you'll be able to defend yourself.

After that, a Type 6 (if you want a pure trading vessel) --> Asp (if you want a trader that can defend itself) --> Type 7 --> Clipper --> Python --> T9/Anaconda

Samus4145

What are you flying and what equipment do you have on it?

As for killing pirates, you can go to unidentified signal sources or RES sites. Anyone that scans as wanted is a pirate. You could also check Strong Signal Sources but those tend to be a fair bit tougher.

Started a new commander so the basic Viper, I believe.

I think my issue is there are so many waypoints in the system I need to go, I don't know which one to go to for the actual mission.

Zalusithix

Get a Cobra right now. Then trade to around 4 million. Then trade for a kitted out Type 6.

Edit: Actually, you might want a bit more cash flow before the Cobra. You have enough for the minimum, but not really enough to get enough range out of it and still have enough for cargo and insurance.

Soi-Fong

Expecting absolutely nothing. Only way to not be disappointed.

I thought I saw somewhere that Frontier was saving something big to reveal at Gamescom. Since they're focus at E3 was the reveal of the rollercoaster game and not Elite.

They even said PC and Mac players especially should be excited.

DrBo42

I thought I saw somewhere that Frontier was saving something big to reveal at Gamescom. Since they're focus at E3 was the reveal of the rollercoaster game and not Elite.

They even said PC and Mac players especially should be excited.

Yeah I read the same thing. Still expecting nothing that will interest me. Especially after powerplay and cqc. Very little faith in Frontier at this point.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah I read the same thing. Still expecting nothing that will interest me. Especially after powerplay and cqc. Very little faith in Frontier at this point.

I'm kinda feeling the same. I mean I love the game but the past few updates haven't added anything significant to the game that affects me at all, just some minor improvements for my style of play. They may have a big reveal but if it's just geared towards fostering more PvP and combat stuff then it won't interest me at all, and that seems to be what FDev is most interested in since release.

DrBo42

I'm kinda feeling the same. I mean I love the game but the past few updates haven't added anything significant to the game that affects me at all, just some minor improvements for my style of play. They may have a big reveal but if it's just geared towards fostering more PvP and combat stuff then it won't interest me at all, and that seems to be what FDev is most interested in since release.
I get that CQC is something geared to attract XB players but powerplay is the one that really hurt. Just a new layer of grinding without any real depth at all...in a game with an existing grinding base without much depth. It was a huge red flag for me, especially after they talked it up so much.

So, I finally figured out how to change the GUI colors. I wasn’t really a fan of the orange default scheme. I played around with it for a while, I like bluish colors, but I found it hard to read. I’ve eventually went with this “Ice”. So what color schemes does everyone else use?

F6917EF7CFA1CA6033C2F4B03511AF67DEA24DB7

9314180A8F127CC377FE8DA86BB7495A78D9FC21

097A450752DE4DF69A67D03E3485DB8BD0229674

akitaone

Banned

The game is still very young, and you have to think of it in more of a MMO development timeline. I think we have to give them one full year (December) before we can really judge where they are taking this game. And they still have alot planned when it comes to being able to do more things with stations and planet landings.

In other news, it is #1 on Steam right now!

owlbeak

So, I finally figured out how to change the GUI colors. I wasn’t really a fan of the orange default scheme. I played around with it for a while, I like bluish colors, but I found it hard to read. I’ve eventually went with this “Ice”. So what color schemes does everyone else use?
I really like this! Could you post the color values for the config? :)

Mengy

I've played around with different colors and ironically I prefer the default orange scheme, lol. Guess I'm just used to it.

DrBo42

The game is still very young, and you have to think of it in more of a MMO development timeline. I think we have to give them one full year (December) before we can really judge where they are taking this game. And they still have alot planned when it comes to being able to do more things with stations and planet landings.

In other news, it is #1 on Steam right now!

It's really the lack of communication or clear roadmap that makes me bitter. The whole "Trust us" mentality doesn't work when they put out shit like powerplay. You can't be completely stubborn about your vision of the game, especially coming from a 1984 game design.

Does anyone else do what I do when buying a new ship? Store your existing ship, buy a hauler and search the galaxy for the ship you want and then sell the hauler once you found it.

DrBo42

Does anyone else do what I do when buying a new ship? Store your existing ship, buy a hauler and search the galaxy for the ship you want and then sell the hauler once you found it.

Yeah plenty of people use Hauler taxis. Personally I always look up exactly where the ship I want is.

Just spent 17 mil on a fully kitted out Diamondback Explorer but not sure what to do with it. I guess I wanted a ship with a good jump range. Now I have an upgraded Vulture, Fer-De-Lance, Imperial Clipper and Diamondback Explorer all in SOL at Columbus Station.

The Vulture is redundant but it is just so fun to fly. I love it's maneuverability and I wish more ships flew like it.

Shifty76

http://arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/#theme_0.2_0.05_2_-0.15_2_-0.5_1.75_-1_-0.3

Make sure you change the settings in the graphics override file. else when the game patches it'll wipe out any changes you made.

I think there's a good chance that I sell the Clipper, Vulture and Diamondback and replace all of them with a Python, though I like the idea of owning a bunch of fully upgraded ships.

I think there's a good chance that I sell the Clipper, Vulture and Diamondback and replace all of them with a Python, though I like the idea of owning a bunch of fully upgraded ships.

A Python is shit until you have about $80 mill worth of upgrades on it. Then it sings. So start saving those pennies. Once your Python is ready, your Clipper becomes redundant. The Vulture will always have a place because of its low rebuy (easier to swallow losing it) and the FdL will always have a place because it's the best PvP shit in the game. Clipper is cool because of its speed, but the Python -- when upgraded -- is far and away the better ship, and maybe the best ship in the game period.

Anyway, hit $250 mill in the warchest today, trading heavily. Goal is $300 mill by the end of the weekend, I guess. Seems doable. After that, all ships will be maxed out (not including armor) and I'll be fairly satisfied. Then it's back to CZs and RES sites.

Soi-Fong

After we get clearer pictures of Pluto from the New Horizons fly-by I'm hoping FD updates the planet textures for Pluto in game.

I think I'll be pretty close with selling those ships since they are all heavily upgraded. I have 32 mil in cash. I'm guessing the Vulture is 30ish mil, the Clipper is 65ish and the Diamondback is 16-17 mil. I also have 15 mil wrapped up in a huge plasma accelerator on my Fer-De-Lance if I decide to be a little more practical. The Fer-De-Lance total is about 84 mil but I think I'll be keeping that always just for its speed. I feel safe in it when playing in open.

SmartBase

I finally found a combat zone with a capital ship that warps in. Now I've seen just about all there is in the game, including a few thousand systems on the way to and from Sagittarius A*. Now what?
Besides grinding credits and ranking

Shifty76

That's essentially what I did but with anaconda. Sold the FDL, python and clipper and bought the conda. Fights better than those other ships, trades better too. Really no down side other than the cost of upgrades.

DrBo42

I finally found a combat zone with a capital ship that warps in. Now I've seen just about all there is in the game, including a few thousand systems on the way to and from Sagittarius A*. Now what?
Besides grinding credits and ranking

What are the conditions for that? Government vs government? Like Empire vs Fed?

So, I’m doing one of those missions where you have to find a black box. I get interdicted; I just let them interdict me because I figured it was just going to be some pirate npc I can kill. It turns out to be a player! They don’t say anything and start to scan me; I don’t have any bounties or cargo so I just let them. Then they start to attack me. He was in an Eagle, so I killed him pretty fast, and went on with my business. I just found it funny; don’t know what he was thinking.

Soi-Fong

So, I’m doing one of those missions where you have to find a black box. I get interdicted; I just let them interdict me because I figured it was just going to be some pirate npc I can kill. It turns out to be a player! They don’t say anything and start to scan me; I don’t have any bounties or cargo so I just let them. Then they start to attack me. He was in an Eagle, so I killed him pretty fast, and went on with my business. I just found it funny; don’t know what he was thinking.

lol What ship were you in? If it's anything more than a Cobra, he's foolish to attack. lol

Burny

Apparently, there is some small Elite centered Con going on atm. (Lavecon). Someone on the Frontier Forums posted some notes (can't confirm them of course :p )

Vingtetun said:
Lots of little bits of news. Bit tired so a quick summary:

Sandro has the same hat....
Zac is as enthusiastic and helpful in person as he appears to be on the forums.
SJA is an evil genius and gave a number of small groups of us an insight into AI behaviour, how the npc rankings are being tweaked and improved and exactly how to beat reverse flight combat.
They are liking the idea of ship variants... especially when they help bridge gaps in their internal ship 'backbone'. More on that later.
There is a 10 year plan.
The UA thing isn't a wild goose chase, we are apparently 'close' and there is more awaiting us as and when we work it out.
Imperial Eagle concept artwork shown... may well change over time.
More support for player groups 'Soon'. Watch the gamescom news.
There is a plan to use the upgraded missions system to give us more depth. The upgrade was 'under the hood' to extend capability to do missions conditional upon statuses of all sorts.... Longer range and more complex missions were a 'yes' and got a 'very soon'.
The PC release of cqc from what we could tell will be hot on the heels of the proper xbone release.

And much more. Will tap notes up properly after today but essentially we are having a cracking time, the devs have all been superb, the community drank the bar out of ale and are all bonkers and we have 1 day left.

11745523_10153136326093458_5908942270982143247_n.jpg

I did ask about missions, particularly about how many of the missions are of the kill 10 rats, err pirates type and how very few people actually read the mission text. Sandro mentioned that the mission system isn't anywhere near done, and (with a glint in his eye) said that they were thinking of ways to make missions a lot more than just reading text, find pirate, kill pirate type.

Michael doesn't want to inject hand crafted missions for non 'main arc' activities. They are looking at procedural generation for your own small mission arcs and working out how to make it rich and engaging.... or so he said. The mechanisms for delivering the missions and context related to rank, standing etc are in place... all they need to add is the auto creation of the content in enough variety.

Got this the other day and played with my dad yesterday. Getting used to getting around (and not overshooting local targets in super cruise). I've had issues, but I've done troubleshooting and hopefully solved them, but I did get a flashing black and brown screen followed by the blue screen of death. I hope that doesn't happen too often. I'm also getting the Steam overlay sometimes when I press Shift, but not Shift+Tab.

Did a few jobs and got some credits, been to a couple of other systems. Home system is LHS 3447.

Got the game during this weekend's price cut. Put a good 10 hours into it, did a couple tutorials and then off my way I went (solo). I'm having so much fun that I'm seriously considering buying a proper HOTAS stick for it (I use an old Logitech stick).

komorebi

Got the game during this weekend's price cut. Put a good 10 hours into it, did a couple tutorials and then off my way I went (solo). I'm having so much fun that I'm seriously considering buying a proper HOTAS stick for it (I use an old Logitech stick).

Do it. I did the same thing (except I bought the game full price a week earlier mrgrgr...), then I bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X and it increased my enjoyment of the game ten-fold. Its awesome.

Zalusithix

I've had issues, but I've done troubleshooting and hopefully solved them, but I did get a flashing black and brown screen followed by the blue screen of death. I hope that doesn't happen too often.

Anything that results in a BSOD is indicative of system issues, not game issues. It sounds like something caused the display driver to crap out (flashing screen) and things snowballed into a complete system lock.

Mengy

Got this the other day and played with my dad yesterday. Getting used to getting around (and not overshooting local targets in super cruise). I've had issues, but I've done troubleshooting and hopefully solved them, but I did get a flashing black and brown screen followed by the blue screen of death. I hope that doesn't happen too often.

Wow, that's rare, this game is generally extremely stable. I don't think I've had it crash once since launch to be honest, other than a few network disconnects due to latency issues.

You might want to look at your system for probems, most likely vid card issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom