• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it. I did the same thing (except I bought the game full price a week earlier mrgrgr...), then I bought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X and it increased my enjoyment of the game ten-fold. Its awesome.

I have no experience with either flight or space sims, this would be my very first HOTAS. I am comparing prices right now and I basically have it boiled down to the X-55 Rhino (slightly more expensive than the X-52), the regular X-52 (not the pro one) and the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X.

Of course the Rhino and the X-52 are much more expensive than the X, and on paper would look as better choices, but I am wary of buying something that is above my league, something that I will not use to its full potential, considering my lack of experience with the genre.

What would you more knowledgeable guys recommend?

get a reasonably priced one. if you like the genre and see yourself around playing ED for a long time and Star Citizen after that, buy a legit stick for $150+.

Anything that results in a BSOD is indicative of system issues, not game issues. It sounds like something caused the display driver to crap out (flashing screen) and things snowballed into a complete system lock.

Wow, that's rare, this game is generally extremely stable. I don't think I've had it crash once since launch to be honest, other than a few network disconnects due to latency issues.

You might want to look at your system for probems, most likely vid card issues.

I don't understand what's wrong with my card. It's an Nvdia GTX 970, just got it 4 months ago after my last card died. I clean my system out regularly too.

mitchman

Gold Member
I don't understand what's wrong with my card. It's an Nvdia GTX 970, just got it 4 months ago after my last card died. I clean my system out regularly too.

Too high temperature inside the case is my guess. Just getting new inside hardware without doing a proper thermal airflow re-engineering might eventually come back and bite you. See if you can read any of the temp sensors on the motherboard from the bios screen or from some software.

komorebi

I have no experience with either flight or space sims, this would be my very first HOTAS. I am comparing prices right now and I basically have it boiled down to the X-55 Rhino (slightly more expensive than the X-52), the regular X-52 (not the pro one) and the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X.

Of course the Rhino and the X-52 are much more expensive than the X, and on paper would look as better choices, but I am wary of buying something that is above my league, something that I will not use to its full potential, considering my lack of experience with the genre.

What would you more knowledgeable guys recommend?

FWIW, I was in the exact same boat so I went with the Thrustmaster. E:D is the only game I own that I can use a HOTAS with so I didn't want to spend more until I tried it for myself. I recommend doing the same and testing it out; order one on Amazon and if you love it and want to upgrade, return it and get one of the more expensive ones.

I highly recommend crabs setup from here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16140&page=13

I re-bound a couple of buttons (no need for jettison all, for example) but other than that it's very solid.

This is what I use as well!

Zalusithix

There very well be nothing wrong with the card itself. If the card is overclocked too much, however, it can become unstable which could result in the screen flashing as the display driver times out. Likewise if the system in general is overclocked too much, or if there's a problem with your memory, it can cause all sorts of issues that wouldn't show up until pushed just the right way.

Unlike mitchman, I don't believe it's temperature related. CPUs and GPUs will throttle themselves when they reach their thermal ceiling before they act up. This would result in slowdowns, not outright crashes. That and a single 970 doesn't produce that much heat to begin with.

get a reasonably priced one. if you like the genre and see yourself around playing ED for a long time and Star Citizen after that, buy a legit stick for $150+.

FWIW, I was in the exact same boat so I went with the Thrustmaster. E:D is the only game I own that I can use a HOTAS with so I didn't want to spend more until I tried it for myself. I recommend doing the same and testing it out; order one on Amazon and if you love it and want to upgrade, return it and get one of the more expensive ones.
Thanks a ton! Ended up ordering the Thrustmaster as well, should be here this week.

HelloMeow

There very well be nothing wrong with the card itself. If the card is overclocked too much, however, it can become unstable which could result in the screen flashing as the display driver times out. Likewise if the system in general is overclocked too much, or if there's a problem with your memory, it can cause all sorts of issues that wouldn't show up until pushed just the right way.

Unlike mitchman, I don't believe it's temperature related. CPUs and GPUs will throttle themselves when they reach their thermal ceiling before they act up. This would result in slowdowns, not outright crashes. That and a single 970 doesn't produce that much heat to begin with.

ED is one of the games that can cause GPUs with GPU Boost 2.0 to become unstable. Especially overclocked (and factory OC) cards that are otherwise stable.

A quick fix is to down clock the gpu core clock by a small ammount. 30-100 MHz should do it.

Qasiel

Thanks a ton! Ended up ordering the Thrustmaster as well, should be here this week.

I started the game using a PS4 controller and enjoying it. Took the plunge recently and bought myself a Thrustmaster and I'm not looking back. That thing is a dream to use and it makes me wonder why I've never bought any type of joystick (HOTAS or regular) before. You're gonna love it. I'd definitely echo that suggestion of using Crab's setup. It may feel strange to begin with, but after a couple of tweaks to your own needs, you'll find it incredibly intuitive.

Dezeer

I am trying to get into Elite after not playing for few months, is there some compressed list of most important changes in 1.3? I tried to read the changelog in the ED forum, but it is long.

Have they increased the fuel consumption rate in supercruise, or am I just remembering it wrong?

What is the point of plotting route in the system map, have they added some faster than supercruise method of travel in planetary systems?

DrBo42

I am trying to get into Elite after not playing for few months, is there some compressed list of most important changes in 1.3? I tried to read the changelog in the ED forum, but it is long.

Have they increased the fuel consumption rate in supercruise, or am I just remembering it wrong?

What is the point of plotting route in the system map, have they added some faster than supercruise method of travel in planetary systems?

Easier for explorers to pick out an interesting or valuable planetary body since they all show up as "Unexplored" until scanned.

Just posting to join the Thrustmaster HOTAS-X love-in.

I use a more modified version of Crab's setup. I use 2 of the the left thumb buttons as modifiers instead of the left-index-finger ones. I prefer to have those bound to thrust up/down, since it feels more cromulent to have those next to the left-right thrust rocker.

A better HOTAS would make the game even better, but the cost is a bit too high for me - since I'd only really use it for Elite and Star Citizen..

Shifty76

I could be wrong but I don't believe so. Should be able to recover your route via the next jump/destination keybind. If it does override than yeah, not so great.

Only if you pick waypoint rather than targeting the object. It used to override it regardless but they fixed it a patch or two back.

In other news, combat conda + combat zone = fun. Made around 3m in bonds in just over an hour yesterday. At one point I had two pythons, an anaconda and a viper all attacking me at once and still didn't lose shields. Really want that A8 pp though so I can run a huge PA in place of the large laser.

Soi-Fong

Only if you pick waypoint rather than targeting the object. It used to override it regardless but they fixed it a patch or two back.

In other news, combat conda + combat zone = fun. Made around 3m in bonds in just over an hour yesterday. At one point I had two pythons, an anaconda and a viper all attacking me at once and still didn't lose shields. Really want that A8 pp though so I can run a huge PA in place of the large laser.

How did you manage not losing shields having that much thrown at you?

Shifty76

How did you manage not losing shields having that much thrown at you?
I have 5 x A grade boosters and 3 banks of B6 SCBs. Had to use the SCBs twice. Chaff spam helped too. Anaconda shields are silly strong.

Only takes 20-30 secs to kill a python so it didn't take too long to reduce their numbers.

hit financial goal. maxed out all 5 ships including Anaconda (not including armor). So my fleet consists of:

- Imperial Courier (with prismatic shield)
- Db Explorer
- Fer de Lance
- Python (with prismatic shield)
- Anaconda (with prismatic shield)

All with a-rated parts where appropriate. Need to farm one more beam turrent for Anaconda. Otherwise, good 2 go.

went to CZ. Saw my first capital ship enter into the battle. took hella screen shots. will post later.

Shifty, what do you have on your anaconda hardpoints? I'm loving watching the laser show with 6 turrets, but I'm sure there's better setups.

Shifty76

Shifty, what do you have on your anaconda hardpoints? I'm loving watching the laser show with 6 turrets, but I'm sure there's better setups.

8 x gimballed pulse lasers, though once I can afford the A8 power plant the laser in the huge hardpoint slot is getting switched to the huge plasma accelerator.

I just don't like turrets - too boring for me.

8 x gimballed pulse lasers, though once I can afford the A8 power plant the laser in the huge hardpoint slot is getting switched to the huge plasma accelerator.

I just don't like turrets - too boring for me.

understood. I like the turrets for now because well..I've never bought any before. I may move on once i get bored.

I'm impressed by how the ship can handle several turreted lasers without any heat issues and minimal power issues. otherwise...fairly boring ship. After farming in the Conda for 1.5 weeks...jumping back into my Courier felt like going from a Bus to a Porsche 911 Turbo. I was literally like, "WTF!"

How is this for a Trade/Bounty Hunting Python?

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=705,5...,2-9Y9Y7_6uB6A08I,0AA0AA7UI08c08c4_w7fE05U9qI

Code:
[Python]
L: 3E/G Pulse Laser
L: 3C/F Beam Laser
M: 2B/F Rail Gun
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0I Chaff Launcher
U: 0D Kill Warrant Scanner

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 6A Power Plant
TM: 6A Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 7A Power Distributor
SS: 6D Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
6: 6A Shield Generator
5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
4: 4A Fuel Scoop
3: 3A Shield Cell Bank
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
2: 2A Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
---
Shield: 484.18 MJ
Power : 18.99 MW retracted (75%)
        26.29 MW deployed (104%)
        25.20 MW available
Cargo : 200 T
Fuel  : 32 T
Mass  : 616.9 T empty
        848.9 T full
Range : 18.98 LY unladen
        14.51 LY laden
Price : 128,218,642 CR
Re-Buy: 6,410,932 CR @ 95% insurance

How is this for a Trade/Bounty Hunting Python?

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=705,5...,2-9Y9Y7_6uB6A08I,0AA0AA7UI08c08c4_w7fE05U9qI

Code:
[Python]
L: 3C/F Beam Laser
U: 0A Shield Booster
U: 0D Kill Warrant Scanner

BH: 1I Lightweight Alloy
RB: 6A Power Plant
TM: 6A Thrusters
FH: 5A Frame Shift Drive
EC: 4D Life Support
PC: 7A Power Distributor
SS: 6D Sensors
FS: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

6: 6A Shield Generator
4: 4A Fuel Scoop
3: 3A Shield Cell Bank
3: 3E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 8)
2: 2A Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
---
Shield: 484.18 MJ
Power : 18.99 MW retracted (75%)
        26.29 MW deployed (104%)
        25.20 MW available
Cargo : 200 T
Fuel  : 32 T
Mass  : 616.9 T empty
        848.9 T full
Range : 18.98 LY unladen
        14.51 LY laden
Price : 128,218,642 CR
Re-Buy: 6,410,932 CR @ 95% insurance

After spending ages in my Python, I'd recommend on the hardpoints:

Setup 1
2x Large PA's
3x gimbaled Pulses

PA's to knock down shields and do damage when chaff is dropped; pulses multis do snipe PPs.

Setup 2
2x L fixed Beams
3x gimbaled pulses or 3x gimbaled multicannons

Beams to knock down shields fast; pulses cannon for sniping pp

Setup 3
2x L gimbaled Beams
3x fixed (or gimbaled) multicannons or pulses

Same as setup 2

Setup 4
2x L cannons (fixed or gimbaled)
1x L gimbaled Beam, 2x M gimbaled pulses

lasers to drop shields, cannons to murder hull

Now. You can mix in bursts if you like on the large hard points, but after extensive play I did not find them as effective as the above builds.

Notes:

• Do not mix cannons of different class sizes; they have different warhead travel speeds.
  • make the 2 Large hard points on top of the ship count. they are the best placed hard points on the ship.
  • I personally like a combination of reliable gimbal damage and unreliable fixed damage. Makes the combat less boring for me. But you can roll all gimbaled if you prefer. That is as efficient as you image in would be and I do that a lot.
  • IMPORTANT. PvE builds differ drastically from PvP builds. None of the above are recommended for PvP except maybe Setups 1 and 2. PvP is usually about fixed Beams, PA's and rail guns. You may want 3 rail guns on the mediums and L under the nose. idk. These builds are all great for PvE. I recommend you keep at least a pair of decent gimbaled lasers so that you don't have to leave a good RES site because you're out of ammo.

Lastly, have 4 sets of shield cell banks inside. A pair of 6A's and a pair of 5A's. run one of each at the same time and turn off the other 2. so at any given time you'll have a 6A + 5A on. Once the first pair is out of banks, turn them off and turn the other 2 off. Because the Python is slow, it's going to get hit a lot. Banks are a *must* if you're going to do extensive bounty hunting.

Sorry for being verbose; I think that's just a weakness of mine.

Thanks for the advice. The Python would be strictly PvE. If I decide to engage in any PvP intentionally, it will be in the FDL for that speed. Damn I wish you could store parts. Having the shield banks will kill its trading potential. It makes me want to stick with dedicated ships because traveling the Galaxy for high level components is such a pain. Maybe just use the Fer-De-Lance for bounty hunting/combat and keep the Python for trading, but I really want a combat ship that isn't a massive pain in the ass for long distance travel. I'm currently Dangerous rank (63% towards Deadly) so I'm still a long way from Elite and access to founders world.

Thanks for the advice. The Python would be strictly PvE. If I decide to engage in any PvP intentionally, it will be in the FDL for that speed. Damn I wish you could store parts. Having the shield banks will kill its trading potential. It makes me want to stick with dedicated ships because traveling the Galaxy for high level components is such a pain. Maybe just use the Fer-De-Lance for bounty hunting/combat and keep the Python for trading, but I really want a combat ship that isn't a massive pain in the ass for long distance travel. I'm currently Dangerous rank (63% towards Deadly) so I'm still a long way from Elite and access to founders world.

Hmm. Well...you can keep the cargo bays, but your ability to fight in CZs will be limited. Once you take on a wing of 2 or 3, you'll suddenly need to sit out awhile for your shields to recharge, which is far from optimal.

Best solution is just to add the banks when you're planning to spend a couple of hours in a CZ. Then dump them for cargo space when you plan to do some trading for a few hours/days.

As Shifty said, the Conda is the only one that can do both at the same time without much compromise. But the Python is more than good enough. Just a matter of going to a station and switching those 4 internal compartments from 4x SCBs to 4x storage.

void666

Banned
I'm in love with this game. Been playing non stop for 2 days.

It's not the space sim i've been dreaming with since i was a kid. But it's close enough.

So far i've been smuggling drugs and weapons for quick easy money.

I thought smuggling illegal stuffs was ok! D:

How is a newcomer supposed to scrape off enough credits for new ships?

First job I took was to smuggle some tobacco to a station where it was illegal. Everything went down swell. Then I got asked to smuggle something else: weapons. I said "well, I'm already tainted by crime what the hell". I got fined but ended up delivering (I thought I would get the weapons taken away). Then the jobs kept escalating, and I got asked to deliver fucking SLAVES. I took the job, but had to leave the house for a bit in the middle of it and didn't realize I would fail because of the time limit. When I got back and fired the game up again the job showed as failed. I got nervous because I thought I was still carrying SLAVES and opened up the cargo door, or whatever it is called. I dunno if the failed quest erased the slaves but if it didn't, I think I ejected a bunch of people to space.

Sorry.

void666

Banned
Dude, smuggling slaves is going too far. Only drugs and weapons for me.
And once i have a nice ship i'll quit this life of crime and be a decent man.

Shifty76

Dude, smuggling slaves is going too far. Only drugs and weapons for me.
And once i have a nice ship i'll quit this life of crime and be a decent man.

Imperial slaves are where it's at ;)

If you can be bothered making the trip you can earn up to 5k/ton

It's not slavery if they volunteered, right?

Imperial slaves are where it's at ;)

If you can be bothered making the trip you can earn up to 5k/ton

It's not slavery if they volunteered, right?

dasright
ZDsxCCG.gif

Shifty76

Those slaves had families. You should be ashamed of yourself!! Blood money is what those credits are!!!
They're selling themselves into slavery to pay off debts so they can support said families. Would you rather they turn to a life of crime and dishonour instead?

Bydobob

I'm in love with this game. Been playing non stop for 2 days.

It's not the space sim i've been dreaming with since i was a kid. But it's close enough.

So far i've been smuggling drugs and weapons for quick easy money.

This is my second day playing it too and apart from the training missions I haven't got around to doing much else than stare at those magical celestial bodies. For someone interested in astronomy this game really hits the spot. A couple of pics:

JaHYUVv.jpg

Like Icarus I nearly stayed too long and melted my wings!

LPWt1GN.jpg

Now if only I could get closer and actually fly through that sumptuous cloud. Doubt I'd last long but who cares.

That first pic looks sweet. Yesterday I exited a frameshift jump right in front of a sinister looking white star. Dunno what happened next, but the ship auto-shut down the hyper cruising and I was left in front of that white Ball of evil while my ship melted. I barely made it out of there.

Zalusithix

I wasn't, but I am now thanks.

Seeing yourself in the cockpit hurtling along in space really brings home that sense of vastness and isolation. Love it.
An Asp is most definitely in your future. Lakon ships have the best cockpits when it comes to visibility with little obstruction.

Welcome to all the new Commanders.

Also, screens from yesterday's exploits, which included a close encounter with a capitol ship, complete with the warning that it was jumping in. truly majestic shit.

aY8t98a.jpg

Sun rising on what will be a good day.

BHwWTws.jpg

Finally combat outfitted.

OJbCOUu.jpg

Mr. Badass himself after warping in

OBqD5Li.jpg

Ya boi after manning up on 50% hull to kill 10 more ships like a fucking boss. Tanking beams and punching it with engine boosts errywhere

Z0Soq1H.jpg

One last of The King and I, with the name in the pic. I wanted to take more, but the enemy needed tending to.

and a few low-res shots. he was not fucking around:

bad things were happening to the ships meeting the business end of those blue lasers. trust.

Patchy

Banned
Powerplay has completely sapped all fun out of the game for me.

I think I need to take a couple of weeks break to rediscover the love.

It's a great game, but Powerplay is just a mess.

I just cannot get a good RES spawn anymore. High Security, High Intensity, nothing but adders, eagles and sidewinders. It has become very very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom