• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

komorebi

Seeing yourself in the cockpit hurtling along in space really brings home that sense of vastness and isolation. Love it.

That's why I love this game. I know its not perfect and I'm bound to get burned out at some point, but there's nothing else like it at the moment. Not at this level of quality anyway. I hope it keeps improving for the better.

HelloMeow

Is the Incursion training level supposed to be really hard/undoable for new players? Is it the kind of thing I should come back to later?

All combat training missions are hard. You're in a small ship, fighting other small ships with fixed weapons. They said they're going to make them easier in the future.

Somewhere during my umpteenth try on the tutorial where you have to kill another Sidewinder I just said "fuck it" and started my playthrough.

Goodbye Cobra and hello Asp! Still haven’t decided what I want to do with it. I know the Asp has insane jump ranges, so I might look into doing exploration, haven’t really did any so it could be interesting.

E5FCD0EC702261DEE11D456497AD812BD9A35FFD

komorebi

I wanted to ask something. Am I better off upgrading the starting Sidewinder or just saving credits to get a new ship ASAP?

I did nothing but smuggle for about 10+ hours to save up for a Cobra. I was surprised how quickly I was able to amass 500k~. Once I got the Cobra, I outfitted it a bit and then...smuggled even more.
No mercy for slaves.
The added cargo space in the Cobra allows you to make that back very quickly if you take smuggling jobs. I'm up to 1.4mil only a few hours after buying it.

I got to the stage in Incursion training mission where 3 fighters show up and it was exhilarating! I had never gotten past the 3rd one before with just the one sidewinder and this was I think the 7th. Even as they tore me to shreds I was satisfied with making it that far.

nicer progress!

winged up with a new buddy and was disappointed that he couldn't get a split of the bounties in CZs. or maybe we were doing it wrong. idk. I'll just take him to a RES site to get paid at tomorrow.

also, absolutely loving my 3x C3 turret beam lasers on this Conda. it's just the coolest thing ever watching them track and fire from all positions. only thing I'm not sure of is if I like the 4x multicannons I have complimenting them. not sure if anything else makes sense, though. I could go with 2 more medium beam lasers. but then my small hardpoints would need to be...well idunno what they'd become.

Anyone else have a Conda other than Shifty? If so, what do you have on the small hardpoints to make them relevant? their placements are pretty ass for gimbals or turrets really.

Pomerlaw

That's why I love this game. I know its not perfect and I'm bound to get burned out at some point, but there's nothing else like it at the moment. Not at this level of quality anyway. I hope it keeps improving for the better.

Yep, no other game has captured the vastness of space like Elite.

I know NMS is supposed to have trillions of planets, but the space between those planets, at least in the videos I saw, don't seem to capture the size of things.

BINARY EARTH :

CmvFEM1.jpg

We will land there... Someday.

So I played around with my Asp for a bit, I only had a little over a million to outfit it, so it's still a work in progress. I will say one thing, the acceleration and deceleration is terrible! I'm definitely going to upgrade the thrusters first once I get some more money. Other than that, I like it so far, I especially like the cockpit since it's very opened and lets you get better views.

I decided just to do combat/trade ship. Interdictor/cargo/kill scanner with two burst lasers and four multi-cannons. I like to keep trading just because it's really good money. Maybe once I have a substantial amount of money I'll switch out and try exploration.

Shifty76

Sick of reading posts on reddit about people killing new pilots in the starting areas so figured I'd buy another FDL and go try some pvp for a change to try to run them off.

So nimble compared to the conda!

Got interdicted by a player python while I was shopping for a PA and chaff launchers so had to bail on that fight. Think I'll play around vs npcs for a bit while I get used to the build then it's off to hunt I go.

@Cimarron: I facilitate their deals, nothing more ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Of that you can be certain, ED one or two years from now will be a much better, deeper, and engaging game. What we have now is an excellent framework, but once we get planetary landings, walking around, and the Thargoids added into the game a lot more of the game will "open up". Good things are coming for us. This is a game I'll be playing off and on for many years to come, just like the older Elite games!

Hell, there are nights where I just fly around space and sight see in game, the flight mechanics are just enjoyable to me. It's part of why I love exploration in Elite.

komorebi

Of that you can be certain, ED one or two years from now will be a much better, deeper, and engaging game. What we have now is an excellent framework, but once we get planetary landings, walking around, and the Thargoids added into the game a lot more of the game will "open up". Good things are coming for us. This is a game I'll be playing off and on for many years to come, just like the older Elite games!

Hell, there are nights where I just fly around space and sight see in game, the flight mechanics are just enjoyable to me. It's part of why I love exploration in Elite.

Awesome. I wonder how intricate the planetary landings will be? I'm assuming spaceports will have that feature too of course. At this point I would be happy with Freelancer-style scenes of ships descending, taking off, bars/lounges, and so on. It would really add to the immersion and atmosphere. I always loved seeing the exotic cities in that game even if they did get reused from time to time (iirc).

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Somewhere during my umpteenth try on the tutorial where you have to kill another Sidewinder I just said "fuck it" and started my playthrough.

This is really good to hear. I had convinced myself that I am not ready to start the game due to how poorly I was doing in the tutorials. Gonna dive into the main game after work. :)

Yep, no other game has captured the vastness of space like Elite.

I know NMS is supposed to have trillions of planets, but the space between those planets, at least in the videos I saw, don't seem to capture the size of things.

BINARY EARTH :

CmvFEM1.jpg

We will land there... Someday.

omfg. where is dis

Like you are by smuggling human flesh?
don't u talk down to Shifty, scum

Sick of reading posts on reddit about people killing new pilots in the starting areas so figured I'd buy another FDL and go try some pvp for a change to try to run them off.

So nimble compared to the conda!

Got interdicted by a player python while I was shopping for a PA and chaff launchers so had to bail on that fight. Think I'll play around vs npcs for a bit while I get used to the build then it's off to hunt I go.

@Cimarron: I facilitate their deals, nothing more ;)
yea man. that feel when you get into a small ship after driving a boat for awhile...it's like a brand new game again. and yea, assholes were killing my newbie friends left and right over the weekend. I was getting mad. I wanted to go help do something about it, but because I'm pledged, I'd be marked as "Hostile" in newbie space (Hudson territory), so I couldn't do anything about it.

Frontier, pls.

Well I haven't had a BSOD again. Got a fuel scoop and began exploring. Haven't sold any data, don't think I was far enough away for that.

That's the main reason I haven't pledged allegience yet - stupid interdictions constantly.

Which systems were your buddies in? LHS 3447 / Eravate etc? Still tooling around with loadouts. This is what I have currently but I'm sure I can do better: http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...h00004a5d5d6b2j.Iw1-gDJJA===.EwBhwRhKN23KBxhA

they were around Eravate. I told them to move out as soon as they were able and they did.

the number of interdictions they were getting almost made me sign up for a FD forum account just to complain. They were in sidewinders getting interdicted 2x-3x every time they jumped into supercruise. like, come the fuck on.

I'm tempted but I'm so broke after buying that Python yesterday. I still have the FDL but I only have 10 mil in cash at the moment. I think my rebuy on the FDL is something like 4 mil.

PSA: The Imperial Courier and Clipper are available to virtually everyone for a short time thanks to the Emperor waking up.

All you need is the minimum Imperial rank to buy them (Serf, I believe) and you can buy either ship. If you have any Imperial rank at all and want either ship, get it now so you don't have to grind rank. Especially those who want a Clipper.

We really need to coordinate our efforts and all go into PvP in a Wing.

I'm down.

I just need to try out my Rhino now. It's so much more complex than my Thrustmaster, it's a little intimidating, TBH.

You'll be used to it in no time. I got used to the 110 buttons or so on my HOTAS setup in about a week. I thoroughly enjoy it and can't imagine the game without this particular HOTAS.

Reckheim

Hey Guys,

Bought the game about a week ago during the sale and i'm really enjoying it. Would you guys be able to recommend a good leader to join in powerplay? ... also which galaxy do you guys usually hang out in?

Pomerlaw

Hey Guys,

Bought the game about a week ago during the sale and i'm really enjoying it. Would you guys be able to recommend a good leader to join in powerplay? ... also which galaxy do you guys usually hang out in?

I don't PowerPlay... But check this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcL8qEGg7Q

There is only one galaxy. You probably mean which solar system we hang in... I'm mostly in Sol, unless I'm on an exploration trip. You run a small chance to meet me in High Intensity Resource Extraction Site around Jupiter killing pirates.

The imperial courier looks so great but I hear it handles similarly to the FDL. Is that the case? I'd buy one if it handled like a Eagle or Vulture or even a Viper.

void666

Banned
I don't know what do to and i'm kind of bored.

I'm not part of any faction.Well, actually i've no idea how to join one.

Bought a cobra mkIII. Equiped it with some gimbaled pulse lasers and a laser turret.
Did some bounties, some smuggling. But the docking in and out of stations is getting old.

Something that bothers me is how super cruise space and regular space seems like different stances. You're aproaching an object at super cruise speed. Than you disengage. Object vanishes and then reappears. It's not seamless.

It will never be seamless for a couple reason, 1) you're transitioning from one instance to another 2) you can approach a destination from different distances and angles when you disengage from supercruise, dropping you where you should be could be hundreds of km from the destination, so they place you closer to where you are trying to go. You wouldn't want to travel 900km at thruster velocity. What they should do is come up with a more convincing effect to obscure your vision when you make that transition so it's more believable.

Reckheim

I don't PowerPlay... But check this out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcL8qEGg7Q

There is only one galaxy. You probably mean which solar system we hang in... I'm mostly in Sol, unless I'm on an exploration trip. You run a small chance to meet me in High Intensity Resource Extraction Site around Jupiter killing pirates.

Thanks for the help, been meaning to head over to Sol to see a teraformed mars.

Just out of curiosity, how come you don't participate in powerplay? I heard there were issues with it but is it that bad?

Powerplay isn't bad but there are valid complaints and reasons why people don't want to join it yet. Reddit is a lot more involved in PP than GAF is, they regularly post about systems that need fortifying/preparing/etc. and try to coordinate.

Hey Dreams-Visions, are there any guides available for recommendations on a Rhino set up? Spent last night getting used to it and was gonna start binding, but don't wanna reinvent the wheel if it's not needed.

EDIT: CQC first look on Twitch at 7 PM British Time (1 PM Central Time US) today

DrBo42

Powerplay isn't bad but there are valid complaints and reasons why people don't want to join it yet. Reddit is a lot more involved in PP than GAF is, they regularly post about systems that need fortifying/preparing/etc. and try to coordinate.

Hey Dreams-Visions, are there any guides available for recommendations on a Rhino set up? Spent last night getting used to it and was gonna start binding, but don't wanna reinvent the wheel if it's not needed.

EDIT: CQC first look on Twitch at 7 PM British Time (1 PM Central Time US) today

Problem being that ultimately none of it really matters. There's nothing gained by having your faction do well, other than establishing a bonus in that area. It's like console wars in space with the main satisfaction being the horse you backed being on top. Haha. So half baked.

OMAIGOD my stick is scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Can't wait. :D

I haven't got much time to play because of work, sadly. But this weekend will be all space smuggling.

Shifty76

My single biggest reason for not getting involved in pp is those goddamn interdictions.

I was pledged to ALD for about an hour, but after being interdicted by opposing faction ships 4-5 times every single trip to a station I had enough and quit her faction.

I know FD said that lower combat ranked pilots in smaller ships were more likely to be interdicted, but I was in an anaconda and am dangerous (nearly deadly) combat rank, so wtf!

Also, switched out the wake scanner in that FDL build last page for another A grade shield booster. That build rocks vs large targets, but with fixed PA and multicannons it struggled against eagles etc.

What happens when you get interdicted? I couldn't follow the escape vector once but I didn't notice anything different, other than my frameshift drive shutting down.

What happens when you get interdicted? I couldn't follow the escape vector once but I didn't notice anything different, other than my frameshift drive shutting down.

That's what it does. Someone ripped you out of supercruise to scan, pirate or destroy you. I can't seem to evade interdiction. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I used to be able to early on when I first started playing with a controller and keyboard and mouse but when I switched to the HOTAS, I just can't pitch hard enough to catch the escape vector no matter how hard I pull back. It just goes off my screen and I can't catch it.

That's what it does. Someone ripped you out of supercruise to scan, pirate or destroy you. I can't seem to evade interdiction. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I used to be able to early on when I first started playing with a controller and keyboard and mouse but when I switched to the HOTAS, I just can't pitch hard enough to catch the escape vector no matter how hard I pull back. It just goes off my screen and I can't catch it.
Do you keep the speed meter in the blue thing? I can't keep the vector locked at all times but more often than not I always manage to get away. Of course I am being interdicted by NPCs because I play solo, so that's probably a reason why I can escape.

DrBo42

Yep. HOTAS players get fucked in interdiction compared to M+KB. My favorite is when you're perfectly aligned with the escape vector and the god damn thing starts bugging out and flipping to the other side and back, then you just lose inexplicably.

Do you keep the speed meter in the blue thing? I can't keep the vector locked at all times but more often than not I always manage to get away. Of course I am being interdicted by NPCs because I play solo, so that's probably a reason why I can escape.

Yeah, I do and I'm getting hit by NPCs as well. I just suck though I feel I'm typically a pretty decent pilot in most other situations.

Yep. HOTAS players get fucked in interdiction compared to M+KB. My favorite is when you're perfectly aligned with the escape vector and the god damn thing starts bugging out and flipping to the other side and back, then you just lose inexplicably.

HOTAS player here. It's extremely rare for me to lose an Interdiction battle in any of my ships including the Conda. Maybe there's a calibration issue goin on?

HOTAS player here. It's extremely rare for me to lose an Interdiction battle in any of my ships including the Conda. Maybe there's a calibration issue goin on?

I've always wondered if that is the case but I don't want to make an excuse for failing. I use a X55 rhino and I love it but I don't feel like I can pitch hard enough to escape interdiction. When it's on screen it's not a problem to keep it centered but then it pulls hard right off the screen and it pulls away at a rate I can't match no matter how hard I pull back.

One question on the Rhino: is there any way to set it to that the vertical/"neutral" position for the Throttle is at the center of the ROM, and not at the back/bottom?

With my Thrustmaster, the middle of the throttle was "zero". So I just pulled back to reverse, and pushed forward to accelerate.

The Rhino instead has a "reverse" toggle button.

Is there a way to change this? The Rhino throttle already has a ton of drag compared to the Thrustmaster, I don't really need that entire ROM, and I feel like pulling back to reverse is more intuitive.

One question on the Rhino: is there any way to set it to that the vertical/"neutral" position for the Throttle is at the center of the ROM, and not at the back/bottom?

With my Thrustmaster, the middle of the throttle was "zero". So I just pulled back to reverse, and pushed forward to accelerate.

The Rhino instead has a "reverse" toggle button.

Is there a way to change this? The Rhino throttle already has a ton of drag compared to the Thrustmaster, I don't really need that entire ROM, and I feel like pulling back to reverse is more intuitive.

I'm actually not sure. I don't have a Rhino. I'll ask around and see about the X55 and see what I can find out. Hylian has an X52 I believe and may be able to shed some light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom