• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have an nvidia card myself and get amazing framerates with everything maxed. I had no idea it was that bad on AMD.

Yeah it's pretty ass. Dev is blaming AMD wholly, but it seems to be a problem with the engine more than anything, if you unlock the FPS on an Nvidia card/other drivers you'd notice a huge frame-drop in Hyper Cruise too, just that it manages to stay above 60 for the most part if the drivers aren't enhancing the problem.

JambiBum

And if I can't pay it back at the moment I die, is it possible to pay it later and retrieve it? Or is the ship including all its upgrades lost forever?

I haven't had to do this in a while, but I think you can take out a loan the first time it gets destroyed and you don't have the money.

I'm coming back from a trans-galactic trip that has taken me roughly three months to do. After I cash in the data, I want to kick back and start saving for a TradeConda.
What's the most lucrative credit gaining opportunity if I have a trading Clipper? People above mention smuggling missions. Are there finally high paying missions? I have been outside human space for... months.

I'm coming back from a trans-galactic trip that has taken me roughly three months to do. After I cash in the data, I want to kick back and start saving for a TradeConda.
What's the most lucrative credit gaining opportunity if I have a trading Clipper? People above mention smuggling missions. Are there finally high paying missions? I have been outside human space for... months.
Smuggling is only a think for medium sized ships.

Jedi2016

Smuggling is only a think for medium sized ships.
What kind of cargo capacity are we talking about here? I don't actually have any cargo ships at the moment, but I can always toss a few cargo racks into some of my other ships.

Bounty hunting is good, if you've got the ship to take on the high-dollar targets. Couple million an hour, easy.

So those of you who run cargo/mining ships without any form of self defense, how do you do it? I feel like i'd be terrified to be out there without any guns. Granted, I haven't been attacked for no reason yet, but I've never carried valuable cargo before.

JambiBum

So those of you who run cargo/mining ships without any form of self defense, how do you do it? I feel like i'd be terrified to be out there without any guns. Granted, I haven't been attacked for no reason yet, but I've never carried valuable cargo before.

I'm currently running a type 6 without any weapons so I can get larger jumps. I just use defensive measuers to get away from stuff. I have shield banks and chaff that I use when needed. If I get interdicted and can't win, I just set my throttle to 0 to submit so that my FSD recharges faster and I can get away. I've only died once and that was because I wasn't paying close attention to what I was doing. Luckily I didn't really lose much when I died.

Aditi, Fehu, Robigo, Sothis

s3CnCcE.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't kept up with the game at all, but I understand that there's a new version coming out?

If I did something silly and bought that 150 dollar version of the game from way back when, am I entitled to the new version or do I need to buy it?

aight peeps, I just watched Dreams Visions play for like 7 hours last night on Steam Broadcast and I decided to join yall since I love space, have been binging on StarTrek:TNG lately and the game looks pretty and is on sale.

If any of you would like to add me ingame my name is Cuban Legend. I'll be using a 360 controller at first but if i like this game enough after the first month I'll jump onto a decent HOTAS and maybe pedals on my next paycheck. I've been told the eyetoy camera and the Track-IR clip is a cheap head tracking method, anyone agree or have any other recommendations?

I used to play EVE for 2 years and was a highsec miner and null-sec explorer during that time, so the concepts of Elite aren't too foreign to me. since i've got a fulltime job now id like a pretty game that i can just pickup and play every once in awhile without it becoming my job. lol

The exploring aspect of E:D is what drew me. I can't wait to go out into space and be able to go out farther and for longer period of time before coming back, all the while I mark my name on unexplored systems and whatnot. Am hyped for planet landing and what else has been in the pipeline for this game, so i hope the devs deliver. :)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
while still getting the hang of things, I'm struggling to make 6k credits :lol

If I can get enough credits for this fuel scoop thing, guess I could just try moving away from this place.

I'm assuming we're all just plopped down randomly in the galaxy. Unsure of where I'm am, beyond being near the edge (Frigaha I think was my starting point)

Lime

All right, I'm running an Eagle with 4 cargo and dual F lasers and a B missile rack (32k resurrect). Usually I'm just doing bounty hunts, but I get tired of going in and out of Unidentified Signal Sources where only every third has a Wanted ship that I can blast and other times there are too many for me to win.

Any ways to earn quick money with the ship I have? I'm in the Wambala system currently. Would it make sense for me to go where all you 20mil trade runs?

Hylian7

while still getting the hang of things, I'm struggling to make 6k credits :lol

If I can get enough credits for this fuel scoop thing, guess I could just try moving away from this place.

I'm assuming we're all just plopped down randomly in the galaxy. Unsure of where I'm am, beyond being near the edge (Frigaha I think was my starting point)

There's nothing stopping you from going to other systems without the Fuel scoop. Just stop at a station to refuel when you need to.

There are a few possible starter systems, but they are all very close to each other. It is not completely random across the galaxy.

Basically there is a large "civilized" cluster of the galaxy, and then there is wayyyyy out there where there is little to no life.

All right, I'm running an Eagle with 4 cargo and dual F lasers and a B missile rack (32k resurrect). Usually I'm just doing bounty hunts, but I get tired of going in and out of Unidentified Signal Sources where only every third has a Wanted ship that I can blast and other times there are too many for me to win.

Any ways to earn quick money with the ship I have? I'm in the Wambala system currently. Would it make sense for me to go where all you 20mil trade runs?

If you really want to bounty hunt, there's a much better way to do it than just hunting down Unidentified Signal Sources. You want Resource Extraction Sites or Nav Beacons. If you look in the list of points of interest in the left panel, if a system has any RES, you will see something like this.

zCMu4dZ.png

With your Eagle, you probably want Low Intensity, normal (just "Resource Extraction Site") or High on the lower-end spawn table (Cobras, Sidewinders, Eagles, Adders, etc.). Just bring a Kill Warrant Scanner, scan the wanted ships before you fire at them. This allows you to collect additional bounties that were not known for the system you are in.

Finally picked this up and it's amazing. My first space sim too

There's something so awe-inspiring and satisfying about lining up with stations and docking

Scratches that Interstellar itch

Hylian7

So glad to see so many new people picking up this and enjoying it.
charm_happytears.gif

If you need any help, you can add me on Steam or in-game with my CMDR name "HylianSeven".

For those that didn't know this, your Elite Dangerous name and friends list is separate from Steam. If you want to add someone in Elite that's on your Steam friends, you need to get their CMDR name in Elite and add them.

So I just started my first transport cargo, made it to the station, and docked

What do I do to sell or drop off the cargo? Discard?

---

And do any stations/hangars have different interiors?

Hylian7

Thanks Hylian7 I'm on the low intensity RES site now

If you're ever trying to find a system with an RES, look at galaxy map and filter by Extraction and Refinery ecomony, then look at the system maps and look for gas giants (planets that look like Saturn and have the rings).

Hylian7

So I just started my first transport cargo, made it to the station, and docked

What do I do to sell or drop off the cargo? Discard?

---

And do any stations/hangars have different interiors?

They actually can, I've only ever seen it twice (and I have been playing Elite since January), but I've seen one that is all white on the inside, red indicators for landing pads, and there's palm trees and stuff everywhere. There are others that are slightly different colors. Other than that they are pretty much the same for now.

RedSwirl

Just got this game for the Steam sale, and I think I'm gonna start looking at prices for flight sticks. Here's the thing though: I want a flight stick that will be good modern games like this as well as really old flight games. I pretty much need something I can use for any space/flight game from the original Elite all the way to Dangerous, and everything in-between.

I'd also use it for games like Terminal Velocity, Freespace, and aircraft in ArmA 3.

Edit: Is there any chance in hell I could find one that would ALSO be usable with the PS2 Ace Combat games (the PS2 does allow for some USB controllers)?

JambiBum

Just got this game for the Steam sale, and I think I'm gonna start looking at prices for flight sticks. Here's the thing though: I want a flight stick that will be good modern games like this as well as really old flight games. I pretty much need something I can use for any space/flight game from the original Elite all the way to Dangerous, and everything in-between.

I'd also use it for games like Terminal Velocity, Freespace, and aircraft in ArmA 3.

Edit: Is there any chance in hell I could find one that would ALSO be usable with the PS2 Ace Combat games (the PS2 does allow for some USB controllers)?

Thrustmaster t flight hotas x. It's not crazy fancy like some of the other sticks out there and it should work with the ps2. I know that it works with the ps3 at least. It's what I use and since it has twist on the stick you don't need to worry about rudders for yaw.

Unicorn

First timer here and I was in a sidewinder with just mining lasers and no shield. Got a couple tons of silver ore to get some cash and accidently didn't brake heading for an asteroid (playing on controller) a fellow miner player took advantage and finished me off. 3 hours down the drain. I think I'm just gonna play solo now.

Hylian7

First timer here and I was in a sidewinder with just mining lasers and no shield. Got a couple tons of silver ore to get some cash and accidently didn't brake heading for an asteroid (playing on controller) a fellow miner player took advantage and finished me off. 3 hours down the drain. I think I'm just gonna play solo now.

Always have shields. Unless you are flying a throwaway ship or something, going without shields simply isn't worth the risk. Even if you never get into any combat situations, shields will cover you if you ever bump the entrance to the station, or the landing pad, or something like that.

The only time I ever go without shields is if I'm just buying a throwaway Hauler to outfit for jump range, and that's just to go retrieve my real ship somewhere else.

Unicorn

Always have shields. Unless you are flying a throwaway ship or something, going without shields simply isn't worth the risk. Even if you never get into any combat situations, shields will cover you if you ever bump the entrance to the station, or the landing pad, or something like that.

The only time I ever go without shields is if I'm just buying a throwaway Hauler to outfit for jump range, and that's just to go retrieve my real ship somewhere else.
But I needed refinery and the collector bots. The first 2 hours I was manually scooping, but fuck that. How can I have those things on a starting sidewinder and have shields?

Hylian7

But I needed refinery and the collector bots. The first 2 hours I was manually scooping, but fuck that. How can I have those things on a starting sidewinder and have shields?

On a Sidewinder you really don't have the luxury of having the Collector Limpets. I'd say drop those and have shields. Yeah, it's slower and more annoying, but it's better than dying. When you get a better ship you can put Collector Limpets on it.

Lime

Cool, I just earned 1.5 mil for doing low intensity RES bounty hunting. But I get money regardless of how much damage I do, right?

Hylian7

Cool, I just earned 1.5 mil for doing low intensity RES bounty hunting. But I get money regardless of how much damage I do, right?

Basically if only you and AIs shoot it, then yes, you get full bounty. If another player takes the last hit, they get it. If you're winged up with someone, you split the bounty.

Jedi2016

If you're crashing into the station when you're trying to land, then you need practice, not shields. Shields are for taking fire, that's it. No combat = no shields.

I have a Courier I use for "running" between systems that house my other ships, cost me about three million credits (which means it's not just a "throwaway" ship), and it has no shields. Does have a helluva jump range, though. And it's more than maneuverable enough to get out of interdictions. I've yet to scratch the paint on it.

Even on my Asp, I turn the shields off once I'm out of the bubble. No NPCs, no other players = no combat, no shields. They go offline along with the other non-essential systems, and since the ship's only drawing about 20% power, it runs nice and cool, even when fuel scooping at maximum efficiency. Which saves me from having to carry heat sinks.

For mining in a Sidewinder... yeah, probably not the best ship for it due to its size. But if you stay Solo or Private (i.e. away from asshole players), and stay in the low intensity RES sites, you'll probably be fine. Just watch your back and be ready to run if anyone starts some shit.

So many new players. I'm CMDR Felix Lighter in game, I'm more than willing to help new players.

So glad to see so many new people picking up this and enjoying it.
charm_happytears.gif

If you need any help, you can add me on Steam or in-game with my CMDR name "HylianSeven".

For those that didn't know this, your Elite Dangerous name and friends list is separate from Steam. If you want to add someone in Elite that's on your Steam friends, you need to get their CMDR name in Elite and add them.

added both of you "Cuban Legend" is my CMDR name

DrBo42

Thinking of buying a couple copies of Elite @ it's $15 price and doing a giveaway. Can anyone think of something fun for entries that isn't too obnoxious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom