• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

I can't really think of anything other than just doing a modbot giveaway.

Yeah it's tough to balance. I'd like to give it away to people that are actually interested rather than this drive-by "Oh, free game? Okay." But I don't want to make it so people are upset they have to do something. lol

Phew, just had my first narrow escape. Jumped to light speed just as a group of three pirates brought me down to 4% health.

that adrenaline. I know that asschlench:

fJDBrhS.jpg

that was with about $50 million waiting to be redeemed.

Sarcasm

Yeah it's tough to balance. I'd like to give it away to people that are actually interested rather than this drive-by "Oh, free game? Okay." But I don't want to make it so people are upset they have to do something. lol

Trivia giveaway via modbot. Got to answer correctly.

You can also add rules to who can enter.

First it's the HOTAS then it's the TrackIR.
I just got some advice from Dreams-Visions on an affordable headtracking solution for under $45:

the track IR clips for $38 on amazon, and a PS3 eye camera for like $5 on amazon, i think you need these drivers for the cam. and just setup the PC drivers for the camera, and use Free-track and open track software for everything.

note that you have to install an IR filter in the webcam behind the lens (between the sensor and the lens) as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Wg7li8_qM

to avoid having to install the IR pass filter in the PS eye cam, you can buy an IR clip and the PSeye cam (already setup with the IR pass filter) that is independently made for about $50 found here.

I've only been transporting cargo. A bit wary to get into combat at the moment, still only have the default pulse lasers

4 hours in, no combat yet, and I'm loving it

Unicorn

So, super cruise fucks up sometimes and over shoots me or accelerates instead of decelerating accurately. So, I either over shoot or have to do multiple mini jumps to get to in system places. WTF is happening with that?

So, super cruise fucks up sometimes and over shoots me or accelerates instead of decelerating accurately. So, I either over shoot or have to do multiple mini jumps to get to in system places. WTF is happening with that?

Pro tip (800 hours in): Feel free to go at max speed UNTIL you're approximately 10-11 seconds out. As soon as the indicator says you're 10 seconds out, move your throttle to the center of the blue "optimal speed' indicator and keep it there. You'll never overshoot and you'll more or less maximize your efficiency.

Remember, rookie: 0:10 second mark.

Also, fun fact: if you supercruise towards a station and float in between the station and its orbiting planet, you'll always come out in front of the station. I've tried to explain this before, but forgot there was a handy video just for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqpvtLnYq8

You'll be using this technique forever once you get the hang of it. Thank me later.

edit: consider this an essential tip for smuggling. every second counts when trying to avoid being scanned and if you come in from behind a station, the odds you'll get seen and scanned increase dramatically.

Pro tip (800 hours in): Feel free to go at max speed UNTIL you're approximately 10-11 seconds out. As soon as the indicator says you're 10 seconds out, move your throttle to the center of the blue "optimal speed' indicator and keep it there. You'll never overshoot and you'll more or less maximize your efficiency.

Remember, rookie: 0:10 second mark.

Also, fun fact: if you supercruise towards a station and float in between the station and its orbiting planet, you'll always come out in front of the station. I've tried to explain this before, but forgot there was a handy video just for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqpvtLnYq8

You'll be using this technique forever once you get the hang of it. Thank me later.

edit: consider this an essential tip for smuggling. every second counts when trying to avoid being scanned and if you come in from behind a station, the odds you'll get seen and scanned increase dramatically.

So here's more of a lore question: why is it that you can only get scanned outside of a station? are all stations privately owned, and the space cops can't scan you inside of one?

What's the control scheme on Xbox One? Since I'm playing with a gamepad on PC and still have to use J/L for FSD and Landing Gear. What are the controls for those on consoles?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Even on my Asp, I turn the shields off once I'm out of the bubble. No NPCs, no other players = no combat, no shields. They go offline along with the other non-essential systems, and since the ship's only drawing about 20% power, it runs nice and cool, even when fuel scooping at maximum efficiency. Which saves me from having to carry heat sinks.

Yeah I turn systems off while exploring outside the bubble too. I always carry at least one heat sink though. I make mistakes and sometimes get a bit too close to a star or a black hole, and in those situations heat sinks can really save your bacon.

JambiBum

What's the control scheme on Xbox One? Since I'm playing with a gamepad on PC and still have to use J/L for FSD and Landing Gear. What are the controls for those on consoles?

You can set modifiers with the controller if you hold the first button. So like LB+A for example. Believe that's how it works on the xbox as well.

6 seconds is ideal. 5.8-ish is fine too, but you can't see decimals.

Nah. I've overshot many times testing below 10 seconds. The likelihood you will overshoot and waste time is not worth saving 2 or 3 seconds overall.

10 seconds. blue zone. ez. sub-8 seconds = ymmv and your time might be wasted.

So here's more of a lore question: why is it that you can only get scanned outside of a station? are all stations privately owned, and the space cops can't scan you inside of one?

As far as I can tell, they simply lose interest when you're across the border. That's enough for me.

HelloMeow

Nah. I've overshot many times testing below 10 seconds. The likelihood you will overshoot and waste time is not worth saving 2 or 3 seconds overall.

Once it says 5 seconds you might overshoot, but otherwise i've never had any issues. 6 seconds is solid. And while the time to arrival is 4-5 seconds shorter, you save more time than that.

Unicorn

I'm so done. Mining rocks in a ring around a gas giant. Out of nowhere I get gunned down by the federal security service or some shit. Why.

JambiBum

I've spent a lot of time mining and have never been killed while doing so. Then again I don't really do it in populated areas either. Also, if you really want to mine, don't go to the resource extraction sites. Go to the rings that they are in, but don't actually go to the site. Instead fly some distance away from them and drop out there. The drop sites have a lot higher population because pirates, feds, and players hang out there. Whereas if you go further away from the site you can mine in peace. Usually I would just go in the middle if the high and low intensity markers and be perfectly safe there. It's also pretty impossible for any players to find you if you aren't at the sites.

Hylian7

I'm so done. Mining rocks in a ring around a gas giant. Out of nowhere I get gunned down by the federal security service or some shit. Why.

Were you wanted for any reason? Did someone else get blown up near you and you stole their cargo?

If I had to guess I would say the latter is a possibility, but I don't know.

MayMay

Banned
I'm quite happy with myself. Just started the game and had around ~15.000CR after some delivery missions and found 2 fairly lucrative (for my poor beginner standards) smuggling missions. The destination was really far away though.. had to refuel 3 times until I got there after a ton of jumps. Evaded a couple of interdictions (by the police I guess, and one was by a guy that wanted to kill me but I got away!), but in the end i made it and now I'm at 105.000CR.

First minor success! lol That was certainly a faster (and more risky) way to earn some cash than the few delivery jobs I did before that always got me less than 2.000CR.

This game is fun.

So many new players. I'm CMDR Felix Lighter in game, I'm more than willing to help new players.

So glad to see so many new people picking up this and enjoying it.
charm_happytears.gif

If you need any help, you can add me on Steam or in-game with my CMDR name "HylianSeven".

For those that didn't know this, your Elite Dangerous name and friends list is separate from Steam. If you want to add someone in Elite that's on your Steam friends, you need to get their CMDR name in Elite and add them.

Ill make sure to add both of you before I head to bed, I'm CMDR MayMay ingame.

Burny

Found a T-Flight hotas in my country..equal to 128 USD.

But the X52 Pro is 128 USD here..humm. Though it MAY be a fake due to one line at the top (above title) says mad catz. Rest seems like its copy pasted.

http://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DGBJ8R-A90059ILP

(Yes its in Chinese)

Mh. That is a lot for the T-Flight. As for the Saitek stick, while I wouldn't recommend it, the company is owned by MadCatz. Still doesn't guarantee that it's not a fake...

Mengy

I've mined dozens of millions of dollars worth of ores in lots of systems and I've never once simply been gunned down by security ships just out of the blue. You must have had a fine on your head for some reason? Or maybe they weren't security ships, was it a pirate wing?

DrBo42

So what is a good ship for mining ?

You need decent cargo space and internal modules to support the refinery, collector controller and prospector controller modules. So typically you'd want something like an Asp, or Python. Ultimate being an Anaconda or Type 9 (more so Anaconda IMO) Not sure what's a good mining ship at low credit rank.

JambiBum

You need decent cargo space and internal modules to support the refinery, collector controller and prospector controller modules. So typically you'd want something like an Asp, or Python. Ultimate being an Anaconda or Type 9 (more so Anaconda IMO) Not sure what's a good mining ship at low credit rank.

I used a type 6 for a while and that worked just fine. You can probably also use a cobra or hauler for cheaper options.

Also when I get online today I'm going to make a gaf group to make it easier to find everyone. I haven't decided if I'm going to require people to request to join or not yet. I'll post later when it's up

Sarcasm

Mh. That is a lot for the T-Flight. As for the Saitek stick, while I wouldn't recommend it, the company is owned by MadCatz. Still doesn't guarantee that it's not a fake...

Think I am going to just buy the t-flight on amazon (in states) and ship it to my sister. Pick it up in a month when I go visit and stuff it in my luggage on the way back.

JambiBum

Alright so I made a new group for everyone to join if you want. I forgot that you can't change group names yet so the group is just my CMDR name which is Jambi. For you new people that would like to join, go into your friends and groups menu in the pause screen and then go to groups, search for group, and then search for Jambi. It'll send a request to join and I'll accept it. This will give you guys an easier way of asking questions and such in game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You will never overshoot at 7 seconds. 10 is way too early.

Sarcasm

Alright so I made a new group for everyone to join if you want. I forgot that you can't change group names yet so the group is just my CMDR name which is Jambi. For you new people that would like to join, go into your friends and groups menu in the pause screen and then go to groups, search for group, and then search for Jambi. It'll send a request to join and I'll accept it. This will give you guys an easier way of asking questions and such in game.

What happened with old group?

Unicorn

Were you wanted for any reason? Did someone else get blown up near you and you stole their cargo?

If I had to guess I would say the latter is a possibility, but I don't know.
Nope. Didn't even have my bots scooping cuz no ammo

New game or w/e and literally mined that ring once, then returned and was almost full again and randomly started getting shot mid-mining of a rock. Death screen just said killed by federal security service. Wish I had more information..

Even though I use it 99% of the time, I think 7 secs can be a bit tricky. I still occasionally overshoot. I've noticed it's when I properly drop it to the blue in time, but since the blue zone is a bit of a range, if you're in "high" blue, you can still go a little too fast and can overshoot.

Unicorn

Even though I use it 99% of the time, I think 7 secs can be a bit tricky. I still occasionally overshoot. I've noticed it's when I properly drop it to the blue in time, but since the blue zone is a bit of a range, if you're in "high" blue, you can still go a little too fast and can overshoot.
Maybe that's the wonkiness I'm seeing. It'll be low on the throttle, then when I get near it launches up to the top, but the numbers are decreasing then I just fly past my target and then I try to emergency drop right on it.

Jedi2016

I can usually get away with six seconds. That's when the computer starts to automatically slow you down. It doesn't always work, though, if it's a busy systems I'm coming in towards, the extra moons or planets can sometimes keep me from slowing down enough by the time it drops to five seconds, at which point it's usually too late.

kvk1

you can also top gun it

full throttle all the way in, overshoot, turn and divebomb toward the body the station is orbiting, buzz as close as you can along its surface to slow down and line yourself up with the station, disengage

i don't know if this is faster/slower in comparison, but it's fun, and it also has the added benefit of making it hard for anyone looking to interdict you to get into a stable position to do so

If you are coming in a little too hot, you can use the gravity from the planet a station is orbiting to burn off speed by skimming near it as you approach (don't get too close or you'll get ripped out of supercruise, doing some hull damage and forcing you to wait for a long frameshift drive cool down). It won't help if you are going way too fast but helpful when you're coming in just a little too fast. Also, for stations. approaching from the inside its orbit results in exiting supercruise more or less in front of the station so you don't have to work your way around the station to get to the mail slot.

Burny

you can also top gun it

full throttle all the way in, overshoot, turn and divebomb toward the body the station is orbiting, buzz as close as you can along its surface to slow down and line yourself up with the station, disengage

Alternatively, if you realize you're going too fast in the 6-7 second range, you can do a kind of half loop, which will deaccelerate you to more or less the perfect speed.

When directly heading for the target too fast, throttle down into the blue range, turn 90° away from the target. and then after a second or two back to the target.

supercruiseapproachyfa12.png

That's simply incorrect. You will occasionally overshoot. That's just a fact, not an opinion. If you want to be 100%, do it at ~10. For new pilot advice, they should be in the 10-11 range. You shouldn't give people "right on the edge" advice. They're fucking new. Don't make the game harder for them than it already is right now by putting them in positions to randomly fail. They'll do enough of that with basic mechanics learning; we don't need to add to their problems. Perhaps some of you have forgotten the audience for whom this advice is targeted to. I have not. If you have to post bizarre pictures to help clarify your point, you're doing too much. Save it for intermediate classes.

If they get comfortable with 10 seconds enough to want to push it down further to potentially save 3 seconds at the potential cost of wasting 30 seconds, let them make that call. Let them get it RIGHT before worrying about shaving off a few ticks.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess I'll start sending friend requests. Think my name is CMDR Lonestar Jones.

Broke 100k, bought a hauler, tried out some mining. A bit slow, but different. Is there ways to scan asteroid belts for what materials they hold? Seems like there are upgrades to make it easier to collect material besides cargo scoop (dammit, I've come in too fast again!)

JambiBum

Guess I'll start sending friend requests. Think my name is CMDR Lonestar Jones.

Broke 100k, bought a hauler, tried out some mining. A bit slow, but different. Is there ways to scan asteroid belts for what materials they hold? Seems like there are upgrades to make it easier to collect material besides cargo scoop (dammit, I've come in too fast again!)

You can buy a prospector limpit controller to figure out what is inside an asteroid before you mine it. It will also tell you when it is depleted as long as you keep it targetted. There are also collector limpet drones that will pick up the pieces for you and bring them to your cargo hold. If you have these modules, you will also need to buy limpets under the munition tab. They take up cargo space but when you use them they are removed so they make space. Asteroid belts are ok to mine in, but the better minerals are usually in planet rings. Don't go to the high intensity resource sites, just go near them and drop out of cruise. Then you don't have to worry about pirates as much.

Mengy

If anyone wants to add me in game I'm CMDR Mengy. Yeah I know, super original, LOL. I'm usually out exploring away from the bubble but occasionally I'm in civilized space either hunting criminals or drilling space rocks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That's simply incorrect. You will occasionally overshoot. That's just a fact, not an opinion. If you want to be 100%, do it at ~10. For new pilot advice, they should be in the 10-11 range. You shouldn't give people "right on the edge" advice. They're fucking new. Don't make the game harder for them than it already is right now by putting them in positions to randomly fail. They'll do enough of that with basic mechanics learning; we don't need to add to their problems. Perhaps some of you have forgotten the audience for whom this advice is targeted to. I have not. If you have to post bizarre pictures to help clarify your point, you're doing too much. Save it for intermediate classes.

If they get comfortable with 10 seconds enough to want to push it down further to potentially save 3 seconds at the potential cost of wasting 30 seconds, let them make that call. Let them get it RIGHT before worrying about shaving off a few ticks.

New players should leave it in the blue, then they don't have to worry about it, the game will managed acceleration, deceleration and approach for them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, what was the procedure for when you jump too far from a refilling station, and don't have a fuel scoop. I assume self destruct, right ;P

My months-long exploration trip to the opposite end of the galaxy, and back through the core, had a payout of 33 million credits. Now I'm gaining the trust of the people in those far-of stations to get access to more missions, and more money.

I can taste the corvette.

So, what was the procedure for when you jump too far from a refilling station, and don't have a fuel scoop. I assume self destruct, right ;P

Fuel rats!

Edit: if you theoretically wanted to make your fun by pirating goods from other CMDRs, is that easy to do? I mean more int he sense of finding other players than actually fighting them for their cargo. A friend is considering jumping on the sale, but it seems more like he wants to focus on PVP type stuff than the PvE that the game seems to mainly be.

Are there certain systems where players congregate?

JambiBum

Fuel rats!

Edit: if you theoretically wanted to make your fun by pirating goods from other CMDRs, is that easy to do? I mean more int he sense of finding other players than actually fighting them for their cargo. A friend is considering jumping on the sale, but it seems more like he wants to focus on PVP type stuff than the PvE that the game seems to mainly be.

Are there certain systems where players congregate?

If you want noobs, LHS 3447 is where most of them will be, but they also won't have much in the way of cargo to steal. Eravate is where a lot of players hangout, as well as Lave. You can also find players at any of the powerplay headquarter systems, and at the community goal areas. Mind you the players at the PP HQs and CGs will be a bit more seasoned than ones in Eravate and 3447.

If you want noobs, LHS 3447 is where most of them will be, but they also won't have much in the way of cargo to steal. Eravate is where a lot of players hangout, as well as Lave. You can also find players at any of the powerplay headquarter systems, and at the community goal areas. Mind you the players at the PP HQs and CGs will be a bit more seasoned than ones in Eravate and 3447.

I've basically only seen one other real player in my time with the game (6 hours or so), and he was very friendly. I was on reserve fuel and he helped me realize why I was getting my docking request denied at the outpost he was at.

I might make my way towards Eravate to see what's poppin' there and see what an actual populated system is like.

JambiBum

I've basically only seen one other real player in my time with the game (6 hours or so), and he was very friendly. I was on reserve fuel and he helped me realize why I was getting my docking request denied at the outpost he was at.

I might make my way towards Eravate to see what's poppin' there and see what an actual populated system is like.

One of the big reasons I like Elite so much is because when you find another player it actually feels special. The galaxy is a huge place and when you run across another player in some place you don't expect anyone else to be it can turn out to be a wonderful thing. It allows me to do things on my own while actually enjoying player interaction, whether they be good or bad.

With the launch of Horizons, they are going to change the new players spawn to start on planets instead of at LHS 3447 so that will probably help with the population spread some. Most new players don't leave the general area of 3447 because they are too afraid of the vastness of space.

One of the big reasons I like Elite so much is because when you find another player it actually feels special. The galaxy is a huge place and when you run across another player in some place you don't expect anyone else to be it can turn out to be a wonderful thing. It allows me to do things on my own while actually enjoying player interaction, whether they be good or bad.

With the launch of Horizons, they are going to change the new players spawn to start on planets instead of at LHS 3447 so that will probably help with the population spread some. Most new players don't leave the general area of 3447 because they are too afraid of the vastness of space.

Heh, first thing I bought was a fuel scoop so that I could actually journey places without having to find a station. I'm just worried that my friend won't enjoy the game much because he won't see other players often.

But I read stories of people taking months long trips across the galaxy and I'm floored. That's a crazy thing to do.

Staab

Tried to join up with a friend... good god is it buggy and unreliable !
We are friends in-game, in the same group and we still couldn't see each other.
Took like 40minutes of jumping around, going to open, back to private, back to solo, to open to finally meet up.
Why is it so hard?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom