• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

So I am just starting off and want to progress to the point where I have the ship and equipment to just pick a direction and start exploring. Assuming I will need to do some trading to get my bankroll started, but what ship should I be aiming for? The Adder? Or should I do some creative upgrades on something else while saving for an Asp.

Dougald

So I am just starting off and want to progress to the point where I have the ship and equipment to just pick a direction and start exploring. Assuming I will need to do some trading to get my bankroll started, but what ship should I be aiming for? The Adder? Or should I do some creative upgrades on something else while saving for an Asp.

The ASP is good but you'll need to aim for a type 6 to make a good amount of money for one. The Adder is actually a nice little ship and you could get by with one if hours of grinding doesn't appeal

My progression was Sidewinder > Adder > Cobra > Type 6 > ASP

RK9039

I went from:

Sidewinder (bulletin board missions) > Eagle (for bounty hunting, this is where I made a lot of easy money) > Hauler (I did trading runs for less than an hour and made enough money for the next ship) > Adder (more trading) > Cobra.

It was a bit hard at the beginning, I thought the Eagle was a waste of time. But then I upgraded the ship a bit by buying a better power generator and also a multi-cannon. I started bounty hunting after that and not only did I finally start making a lot credits very quickly it was also a lot fun. Just stay away from the Anaconda.

Wreav

Banned
Sidewinder (nav beacon bounties) > Adder (nav beacon and resource extraction point bounties + smuggling) > Cobra (BOUNTIES BOUNTIES BOUNTIES) > Type 6 (yawn space trucking) > Cobra (BOUNTIES!)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sidewinder -> Eagle -> Viper

I had enough trading in EVE to last me a life time. Never again.

So I've been away for the past few weeks. I remember hearing something about the newest Nvidia drivers breaking the Rift for Elite. Has a new update been put out to fix that or should I avoid downloading the newest Nvidia drivers?

Jackpot

Banned
What high-end weapons don't suck? Shotgun cannons had 8/10 DPS but I couldn't even take down a Sidewinder. Railguns seem iffy. Cannons were ok for me. So far pulse lasers and autocannons are causing the most damage despite what the stats say.

What high-end weapons don't suck? Shotgun cannons had 8/10 DPS but I couldn't even take down a Sidewinder. Railguns seem iffy. Cannons were ok for me. So far pulse lasers and autocannons are causing the most damage despite what the stats say.

Beam lasers own, and aren't too expensive.

Shifty76

Beam lasers for shields, multicannons for hull

Xanezz

Banned
I just added some systems around Leesti to Thrudd's database. I'm getting the highest and lowest prices in range from Slopey's BPC and making sure those sites are in Thrudd's for the convenient interface.
http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Late edit: working faction at Leesti>George Lucas is probably the best idea long-term since the missions there should be great, so try this instead:
Leesti (George Lucas) - Buy Progenitor Cells, 952 profit/ton
HIP 65636 (Rusch Orbital) - Buy Palladium, 1651 profit/ton
Rusch Orbital is a bit closer to the beacon and has a faction with higher influence which will be easier to get missions for than Macleod.

-snip-

Nice write up, that route is a good bit faster than my current one too.

Influences aren't changing, but that seems to be normal for war. The goal at this point is to finish up that war, then we should see some change.
http://www.reddit.com/r/HoHsi/

I've said it on the subreddit, I'll say it again: the fact that the Ho Hsi corp "fund the war effort" missions require you to pay up to 40 mil while Jet Comms gives the same for 40k might be a hint on how the war's going. Pure speculation based on anecdotal evidence, though.

So, I just kind of bought this on a whim last night and literally all I've done so far is like the first three tutorials. But I was just wondering, how does this stack up against the X series? I've played a ton of X3 and really loved the hell out of it, but X:Rebirth was a tremendous downer. I've gone back to it a couple times with their large updates but it still hasn't done anything for me.

Shifty76

At roosa gateway in LHS 3589 (I started in eravate) with my hauler one jump to LTT 39877 (or something) paid me 7K. Doesn't pop up all the time.

Trade gold and Advanced Catalysers between Hu Jona (Crichton City) and HR 8170 (Fiennes Vision)
4.7ly trip, 2.2k/t profit on the round trip. Took 20 secs to look that up on Thrudds :)

Wreav

Banned
Since I'm going in hard on bounty hunting, recently relocated to Empire space in 27 G. Caeli.

They have a large ringed planet with 3 extraction sites, and a space station that sits between the planet itself and the rings. Takes about 30 seconds to turn in a batch of bounties. I'm in heaven. It's a gorgeous planet/system, too.

Sun rising over the polar ice cap
YR6gv0v.jpg

I guess hurricane season is in full force out here.

bj00rn_

Banned
^^^ Nice!

Heh, I was about to go eat dinner and tried to do a delivery as the last part of a mission. Then, of course, it turned out that the station I was going to was a rather remote one.. It was something like ~300,000 ls away from the center of the system, and it literally took 7-8 minutes of supercruise to get there. I think I was just about to peak 1,000c speed when it started to go down again..

Anyway, talking about slowness; Slopey's BPC tool is a bitch to start up sometimes, I swear, it spent half an hour "parsing" today after an update..

Nymerio

So the war in Ho Hsi is done? I don't see any conflict zones any more and only Jet Comms seems to be in civil war state.

Skyzard

Banned
^ oh wow, maybe that's why my Ho Hsi bounty turned dormant where I go to pay it.

Since I'm going in hard on bounty hunting, recently relocated to Empire space in 27 G. Caeli.

They have a large ringed planet with 3 extraction sites, and a space station that sits between the planet itself and the rings. Takes about 30 seconds to turn in a batch of bounties. I'm in heaven. It's a gorgeous planet/system, too.

Looks decent! Added to my list of sites to visit.

My goal is to find the perfect resource extraction site (by then I hopefully won't still be fighting mostly sidewinders!).

Something with icy meteors and a bright planet or two nearby. I checked out Qa'wakana as Raticus mentioned, and it's a step up for sure, sun on one side (quite close too), nice big white planet on the other.

So I've been away for the past few weeks. I remember hearing something about the newest Nvidia drivers breaking the Rift for Elite. Has a new update been put out to fix that or should I avoid downloading the newest Nvidia drivers?

Nothing new yet.

Hmm you may have pushed me to finally relocate for a bit. I want to check out Empire space, as well as Alliance.

Mikeside

fuck this game.

I was hunting bounties, got up to 40k of bounty vouchers
killing the last wanted ship, I hit the feds
they shot me to shit before I could bail and had my thrusters at 0%
couldn't move, so had to self destruct
lose 40k of bounty vouchers

this fucking happens every time - I'm still in my starter ship with crap weapons & frankly I'm not having fun anymore.

Fuck.
This.
Game.

Kinthalis

Banned

I want to bounty hunt too!

They relaly shoudl have an interactive galaxy map on their website so we cna figure out locaitons without having to jump in game. Bonus points if you could plan out routes and they would be ready to navigate once in game.

fuck this game.

this fucking happens every time - I'm still in my starter ship with crap weapons & frankly I'm not having fun anymore.

Fuck.
This.
Game.

If I hit a fed ship:

Immediately boost away
Divert power to SYS and ENG
Start FSD (the farther from other ships, the better)

How did they manage to get your shields down and then bring your thrusters to 0%? Were your shields already down?

Nymerio

Well, the sidewinder is pretty fragile if it doesn't have at least the shield upgrade.

You just have to be careful when security is around, just don't shoot if there's a chance you could hit one of them. Though, I've just hit one myself and had to scram when I flew through my line of fire immediately in front of my ship.

Mikeside

If I hit a fed ship:

Immediately boost away
Divert power to SYS and ENG
Start FSD (the farther from other ships, the better)

How did they manage to get your shields down and then bring your thrusters to 0%? Were your shields already down?

No, my shield was up, I hit him, aimed away from the asteroid belt and started charging my jump drive but it was inhibited by mass (or whatever the blurb is) - in the time it took to charge my shields were down, my hull at 8% and my thrusters were fucked.

The frustration is more because something like this happens every time I'm starting to make money & I'm getting sick of having a shitty ship and not being able to get off the bottom rung.

I'll give it another go tonight I guess

Remember to divert all power to SYS/ENG and immediately boost away. Even in my Viper, if I'm not boosting away, yeah, they'll get some good hits on me.

Otherwise, yeah, I can see why that'd be frustrating :-\ I managed to luck out my first or second day of playing by finding Wanted ships with 40-60k bounties apiece. Bought a Viper immediately.

Actually, I forgot I also had an Eagle that I was using for a day, as a part of the preorder deal. You may want to try moving to an Eagle first (they're like 45k I think) and then using that to work towards a Viper or whatever.

Saganator

fuck this game.

Fuck.
This.
Game.

Sucks man, but don't give up. Next time you hit a fed, you gotta bail right away. Divert all power to SYS and ENG (I do full power to ENG and 2 blips into SYS, may change depending on situation). Full throttle and boost when available, roll left or right. The AI has a hard time hitting you if you thrust up or down (R and F keys) as you're rolling. Retract weapons and charge super cruise. Do all this as soon as you're in trouble, and it's pretty tough to die to the AI.

I suggest doing missions in your sidewinder until you can get some the cheapo upgrades to reduce your mass and increase your jump range. If you wanna go all out on bounties, shoot for replacing the sidewinder with an Eagle, and then later a Viper. Once you get an Eagle, don't be afraid to get some upgrades for it, just make sure you have enough credits to pay insurance before you go hunting.

Once you get a little better, you'll be able to make $40k in like 20 minutes and laugh how you raged over losing so little. You can find a post from me earlier in the thread from when I accidentally boosted into the wall of a station and lost like $80k of cargo. After rebuying my shitty Hauler, I had a whopping 4k credits. I was about to quit the game, but I decided to make a challenge out of it, and kept at it. Little over a week later, I have a decked out Type 6 Transport and Viper, about 2 mil in total assets. Don't give up, you'll get better!

The Cowboy

Does anyone think there will ever been a demo or free weekend?, i have zero money at the moment for games and really love the look of this game, but considering how i have to save up for it as i really need my birthday money for bills i would love to try it before buying it.

Has there ever been a word on a demo/free weekend???.

Kyoufu

Mikeside, you shouldn't be bounty hunting with a Sidewinder. Do some trading and get a much better ship.

100,000 Ls to reach Worlidge Terminal in LHS 3447 is the fucking worst.

owlbeak

Yeah, what is going on in Ho Hsi? Civil War is only listed for Jett Comm. If you go into the Ho Hsi Corp sub-menu, it says their Pending State is Civil War as well, but no conflict zones. I was fighting in some this morning, so this is relatively recent.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, what is going on in Ho Hsi? Civil War is only listed for Jett Comm. If you go into the Ho Hsi Corp sub-menu, it says their Pending State is Civil War as well, but no conflict zones. I was fighting in some this morning, so this is relatively recent.

it might be a server bug or maybe Ho Hsi won the civil war?

Skyzard

Banned
My package showed up from Fed-Ex

img_20150103_1114102xupp.jpg

Time to learn how to play this game all over again.

Sweet.

@Mikeside, yeah I kept coming back too :p There's a bit to learn and the initial part can be frustrating in a sidewinder. I bought a hauler after some bounty hunting and nav becaons, did some trade routes from others on gaf for a while...quite a few hours :p Then was set to buy what ship I want and make the rest off of bounty hunting.
Although atm it's slowed down a bit with low reward bounties. Hopefully will be better tonight.

Kyoufu

I now have a 40T Cobra. Time to make some monies.

Is there a list of the cost of ships in the game? I'm probably going to save up for a Viper, but I don't think I've seen it at a shipyard yet.

Jackpot

Banned
I'm sort of stuck for what to do next. I have a comfortably upgraded Viper and get 50000 -100000 credits per hunting spree but it'll take ages to get the Asp and I have no desire to start learning trade routes.

What capital ship combat zones are close the starting system of LHS 3447?

Jackpot

Banned
I now have a 40T Cobra. Time to make some monies.

Is there a list of the cost of ships in the game? I'm probably going to save up for a Viper, but I don't think I've seen it at a shipyard yet.

A system starting Chun something-or-other (Chanuga? Chunara?) has a single space station with a large shipyard (9 ships) right next to LHS 3447. It also has a black market.

Saganator

Thanks.

Viper is only 142k? I thought it'd be more than that for what is seemingly a popular ship for bounty hunting.

The Viper is pretty much a Cobra minus the cargo and some armor (I think?). I think the Viper has a slightly faster boost speed. Cobra costs more due to it's versatility. The Viper is a great ship for newer players, due to it's speed, you can get away from pretty much anything except another Viper.

Just bought a couple of plasma accelerators for my Asp. Now to go hunt some pirates.

What kind of weapon loadout do you use? I run 4 gimbaled beam and 2 gumballed multi cannon but I just started so not sure what to run with the Asp. I make more money just killing while trading than bounty hunting

onken

Bah sick of hitting bystanders by accident in combat then getting chased down by authority vessels over a 150cr bounty. And then of course the one place you can go to pay off your miniscule bounty is a station which has a very high chance of being patrolled by said authority vessels making it a crap shoot to whether you can even survive to pay it. All over 150cr.

They desperately need to come up with a way to do this better.

Yes, the wanted mechanic is dumb, but flying into a station without getting scanned isn't rocket science.

Sure but a system where bounty under 1k could be paid on the fly would be nice me think.

Edit : On this subject, have i missed something ? Because when i started the game there was a fine system where you have to paid in the 24h before it was converted in bounty. Is it still the case ?

2 x Plasma, 4 x multicannon. All fixed

Cool. Will be going fixed once I get a little better.

How do weapon grades work. Is there a 1A beam laser or do the grades only go up with type?

Also. When I get interdicted and win do I not get anything like a bounty or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom