• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if I agree with this. I look at this game as a space sim akin to a racing sim. I get plenty of enjoyment out of just docking and I've traded enough to have a almost A class Asp.

People keep looking for direction but I like not "having to play X to get to Y . You have to do VERY little trading to get to a viper that is competent. The game is 3 weeks old and people expected Skyrim in space, it's not, It's Gran Turismo in space. There are no cut scenes, you do what you want with what is available. People are expecting GTA type of options.

I am new to Elite and after doing minimal research I knew what the game was. Did I hope for GTA-esque missions and crazy sidequests with 100 different varieties? Sure, but I knew it was not coming.

This is like any MMO really (sans the social interaction lol) with its grind to "the best". It takes time. I really do not get where people thought this was going to be an action RPG because those are the expectations.

I imagine this will all come in time.

Dougald

The game does need more at a higher-level, I'll agree on that. I expect it to come sooner or later, but I actually had a lot more fun in the game when I was bumming around Anarchy systems in an Adder, grabbing goods of dubious legality to trade on the black market and fending off pirates. I am considering trading back down from an ASP to a Cobra for now until the game gets a little more fleshed out

It would be real nice to have weapons with different stats too, rather than all gimballed class 1 multicannons being the same, for example.

Shifty76

All the time -.-

How do I sell parts of my ship? I upgraded my FSD..going to a better ship..want to sell it before ship.
If you already upgraded your fsd you likely already sold the old one.

If you want to sell essential components your only option is to buy cheaper versions to replace them with. For selling non-essential just click sell

well, lol, I just thought that was a hilarious line; the OP appears to be just as knee-deep as he thinks E:D is.

I like this thread here on gaf because we have plenty of room for both praising the good parts and criticising the bad parts - In mostly intelligent manners.

With that said, I'd also like more, lots more. Most of all I expect more..life. ..And planetary landings :)

Yea I agree completely; if there's one thing E:D needs it's more LIFE. It really feels empty. There's a great amount of good, but for the game to really have legs we need more and more. I'm looking forward to how it all unfolds.

Skyzard

Banned
About the reddit post, I see what they're saying, I felt it too. It's missing a lot of what you'd want to see because it gets your imagination going being in space and enjoying being immersed in the game. You want more. And that's fair, it's not like it's packed. Even wings isn't really going to fix this issue, just adding the missing, pretty basic, teamplay features.
I've remained hooked so far though, keep coming back for the flight and combat mechanics. But I have to be hopeful they are working hard on more stuff.

If you already upgraded your fsd you likely already sold the old one.

If you want to sell essential components your only option is to buy cheaper versions to replace them with. For selling non-essential just click sell

Ah thanks, I think you saved me countless lys of travel - I was going to look for high tech stations to see if I could sell my cobra parts elsewhere...then buy a sidewinder to travel to the place where I'd have to dock my viper and swap it out for that.

It really isn't worth having more than one ship you use a lot unless you don't mind being locked to areas.

Not sure if I agree with this. I look at this game as a space sim akin to a racing sim. I get plenty of enjoyment out of just docking and I've traded enough to have a almost A class Asp.

People keep looking for direction but I like not "having to play X to get to Y . You have to do VERY little trading to get to a viper that is competent. The game is 3 weeks old and people expected Skyrim in space, it's not, It's Gran Turismo in space. There are no cut scenes, you do what you want with what is available. People are expecting GTA type of options.

I am new to Elite and after doing minimal research I knew what the game was. Did I hope for GTA-esque missions and crazy sidequests with 100 different varieties? Sure, but I knew it was not coming.

This is like any MMO really (sans the social interaction lol) with its grind to "the best". It takes time. I really do not get where people thought this was going to be an action RPG because those are the expectations.

I imagine this will all come in time.

This is actually where I think the game really needs a lot more content. Right now the grind to become great or "the best" is only a goal unto itself. There's no end-game boss that requires Pythons and Anacondas, no need for huge amounts of credits to explore or claim territories, it's pure sandbox.

So what I see as the game's biggest flaw is its lack of ways to progress. The only way to make your money work for you is to buy bigger and bigger trading ships (and even these have a profit/hour cap). And then what? Buy a Python? An Anaconda?

The large combat ships are useless. Worse than useless, even. We've seen from people just getting into Asps that the cost to operate them makes them a moneysink in combat. Invest 20M credits into a ship that's not much more dangerous than a Viper but runs you the risk of hundreds of thousands of credits just in taking damage, let alone dying. What would a Python or Anaconda do better? Would it even be feasible to operate one with the game the way it is now? Are there secret bounties and missions available only to larger ships that justify the risk of taking them into combat?

This isn't me bashing on the gameplay--I love zipping around fighting in a Viper, Cobra or even Asp when I feel like wasting money--I'm just recognizing that there's no progression outside of trading, and further more no reason to progress outside of wanting to pilot all the ships. I've met every challenge the game can throw at me so now I just play to screw around and have fun, but I know that that won't last forever without new means to progress and new content.

Kyoufu

There should be a ship delivery service. You order the ship you have stored across the galaxy and after a certain amount of time it'll be delivered to you. :3

metalhead79

Neo Member
I bought the orange paint job for the Eagle off the Elite Dangerous website :D

Upgraded my guns to two gimballed pulse lasers, one gimballed multicannon. Added some other stuff.

I love it, feels like my own customized bounty hunting ship now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish you had more opportunity to see your own ship's paint jobs.

The paint jobs should also apply to the cockpit somehow.

Kyoufu

I'm so close to the Type 6. Any good trade routes recommended for it? I'm still in Eravate and definitely need to move elsewhere.

So I'm still trying to streamline my controls with my T-Flight...I really want Headlook, but I don't recall it working the way I want. I basically want to hold down the Headlook button and use the joystick to control my view. Is this possible?

Arulan

So I'm still trying to streamline my controls with my T-Flight...I really want Headlook, but I don't recall it working the way I want. I basically want to hold down the Headlook button and use the joystick to control my view. Is this possible?

I believe so. Either the game allows your X and Y axis (the two axis on your stick) to be set to the Headlook axis without deleting them for Roll and Pitch, or you'll probably have to use the software for your stick. This way instead of holding the Headlook button, you'll have to hold the key you assign as the Shift modifier (while keeping Headlook by default ON) to use the stick for Headlook. Keep in mind, in your software you'll have to assign two new axis to the stick for their Shift alternative functions. I believe that should work.

I believe so. Either the game allows your X and Y axis (the two axis on your stick) to be set to the Headlook axis without deleting them for Roll and Pitch, or you'll probably have to use the software for your stick. This way instead of holding the Headlook button, you'll have to hold the key you assign as the Shift modifier (while keeping Headlook by default ON) to use the stick for Headlook. Keep in mind, in your software you'll have to assign two new axis to the stick for their Shift alternative functions. I believe that should work.

Yup I don't know why I never bothered to try, just had to set the Axis. Had to change my cycle weapon button but that's okay, this will help me a lot more in combat. Thanks!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well, the civil war dropped to "pending", but the boom has started at Jet Comms at least.

Now to see what that means.

Skyzard

Banned
Last time I played I was getting cobras so the the sidewinder curse wasn't permanent at least. I didn't change extraction site, just the next day it was fine.

Streaming some more bounty hunting.

X-Kalibur

I've destroyed a wanted ship near MacArthur Terminal and a message appeared where it said that I was to get 48k but I've gone to MacArthur Terminal and nothing appears on the contacts tab. How do I get my credits? And how could I see which bounties I've been granted?

Also, when there are multiple ships attacking a single one, which one gets the prize?

Shifty76

I'm so close to the Type 6. Any good trade routes recommended for it? I'm still in Eravate and definitely need to move elsewhere.

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk

Click on "Find Trades"
Type in Erevate, set pad size to med and distance to 30 ly then hit search.
Couldn't be easier. There are several 2k/t profit round trips listed that are only 10 ly distance.

Seriously people , bookmark that link and use it - it makes trading SO much easier!

Kyoufu

Click on "Find Trades"
Couldn't be easier. There are several 2k/t profit round trips listed that are only 10 ly distance.

Seriously people , bookmark that link and use it - it makes trading SO much easier!

I honestly spent an hour trying to figure out a route today pre-Type 6 and couldn't find anything lucrative enough, but now that I can actually jump further than 9 Ly I can take advantage of multi jump routes using that site.

The question now is if Asp is the next ship I get. Hmm.

Jackpot

Banned
I've destroyed a wanted ship near MacArthur Terminal and a message appeared where it said that I was to get 48k but I've gone to MacArthur Terminal and nothing appears on the contacts tab. How do I get my credits? And how could I see which bounties I've been granted?

I think you have to go to a Fed owned base. Try Boswell.

X-Kalibur

Second time I kill a wanted ship. The message appears but I have no way to collect the credits. No voucher in the contacts tab at starport services.

Now, at my statistics tab, under combat it reads bounties claimed 1, profit from bounties 0 CR.

It seems like I put time into this game but the only thing I'm doing is losing credits :(

I think you have to go to a Fed owned base. Try Boswell.

Will try, thanks!

Second time I kill a wanted ship. The message appears but I have no way to collect the credits. No voucher in the contacts tab at starport services.

Now, at my statistics tab, under combat it reads bounties claimed 1, profit from bounties 0 CR.

It seems like I put time into this game but the only thing I'm doing is losing credits :(
Sometimes you have to make sure you're a the proper faction station to collect. There's multiple factions that can issue a bounty in a system. It will say in your transaction tab specifically who issued it. Check the stations in system map and go there.

You're doing it wrong. Go to your left-hand screen and check the transaction tabs, there should be items in there showing the value of claimable bounties and where they are valid. If they say a specific faction you need to go to that system and go to a station where the controlling faction is the one you want. If it's for Fed/All/Emp then you just need to go to a station controlled by a Federation faction.

I honestly spent an hour trying to figure out a route today pre-Type 6 and couldn't find anything lucrative enough, but now that I can actually jump further than 9 Ly I can take advantage of multi jump routes using that site.

The question now is if Asp is the next ship I get. Hmm.

Asp fully decked out is awesome to fly around. Change your FOV to 65-70, it's amazing. I will say it's spendy to run. Fuel for a 60 LY 'fastest route' is about 5k. But with 120 cargo, 16 more than the T6, that's like 4 extra cargo spots being 'negated' by fuel so the net gain is still 10-12.
just don't ding the sides of a station, that can be thousands. But I have everything A except for Power and that's B right now.

Insurance is about 900,000. But having 4 beam lasers and 2 canons it's faster to let the interdiction happen and destroy the ship than trying to run (probably not, but more fun).

Get it, don't screw up too much and you'll still net a lot. Trading is ridiculous easy with Thrudds so I never have problems finding a route. The one I ran today was 8 minutes one way, 1201c/t and about 5 minutes the other way with 1420cr/t. Was awesome.

Just keep a couple million banked and you'll be fine barring catastrophe.

You're doing it wrong. Go to your left-hand screen and check the transaction tabs, there should be items in there showing the value of claimable bounties and where they are valid. If they say a specific faction you need to go to that system and go to a station where the controlling faction is the one you want. If it's for Fed/All/Emp then you just need to go to a station controlled by a Federation faction.

To expand on this, you can sort the galaxy map by "faction" which makes it really easy to find where you need to go. A lot of other ways to sort also, use it!

Just got my first ship with medium hardpoints (a Viper), but it looks like all the same weapons mount on to medium hardpoints. What is the actual difference between hardpoint sizes? Is a pulse laser on a medium hardpoint inherently better than one on a small hardpoint?

I guess I'm having trouble grasping the difference between hardpoint size and weapon class.

Just got my first ship with medium hardpoints (a Viper), but it looks like all the same weapons mount on to medium hardpoints. What is the actual difference between hardpoint sizes? Is a pulse laser on a medium hardpoint inherently better than one on a small hardpoint?

I guess I'm having trouble grasping the difference between hardpoint size and weapon class.

More damage, more power drain. Make sure you're buying a class 2 hardpoint and not a class 1, the class 2 is a much bigger weapon physically.

MisterMac

So I am now hostile with the federation, as in the space stations themselves attack me. Can I grind my way out of it or am I just effed? I'm not sure how it happened, I guess hunting bounties in federation space wasn't a good plan?

More damage, more power drain. Make sure you're buying a class 2 hardpoint and not a class 1, the class 2 is a much bigger weapon physically.

okay that makes sense, but I've mounted plenty of class 2 components onto my Eagle and it doesn't have any medium hardpoints to speak of. is it supposed to be more of a loose guideline or am I missing something?

Jedi2016

Weapons don't really have a class, just a size. If you have a Class 2 hardpoint, you can fit a Class 1 weapon to it, but you're much better off putting the larger, and significantly more powerful, Class 2 weapon on it.

Size is a factor on internal compartments, too. A Class 3 fuel scoop can scoop a lot more fuel than a Class 2 one. And, while you can fit smaller parts in those slots if you like, it's not always for the best. I was looking at FSDs the other day, and saw that I can fit a teeny Class 1 FSD from a Sidewinder into my Type-6. Total laden jump range was less than two light years.

okay that makes sense, but I've mounted plenty of class 2 components onto my Eagle and it doesn't have any medium hardpoints to speak of. is it supposed to be more of a loose guideline or am I missing something?
Just match the numbers. Class 2 hardpoint = class 2 weapon. Don't worry about small, medium, large, etc.

Ceebs

I got my Adder tonight. I somehow made 120K trading in a Sidewinder. Now I need to build up a bit of bankroll before I head out exploring.

Wreav

Banned
Can't stress enough how beautiful the scenes are here in 27 G. Caeli. Look at that ringed giant peeking its head over!

q7WK5qf.jpg

So I am now hostile with the federation, as in the space stations themselves attack me. Can I grind my way out of it or am I just effed? I'm not sure how it happened, I guess hunting bounties in federation space wasn't a good plan?

Beyond sneaking into the station or using an outpost to do missions for federation factions I'm not sure how you'll fix that.

Bounty hunting in federation space should improve your rep with the feds as that's who is paying the bounty.

DrBo42

Click on "Find Trades"

I don't think I've ever found a run that's actually the profit they have listed. Maybe I'm just having bad luck but for something that says 2974 or similar it's actually 1300.

Edit: Yeah, they're adding the profit from each leg into that figure. You're only making around 1200-1400/ton per trip, which really isn't very good.

SLV

WTF, i just returned from a exploration expedition from BETELGEUSE, as i tried to sell my first data, it was loading for a helluva long time, and then all my balance went to 0, FFS.

Whew, luckily quickly closing the game process, prevented it from saving with 0 balance i guess, gonna try selling once more.

1000 ly round trip netted me 700k in the end, betelgeuse only gave me 17 k ;(

untitledn8sgd.png

GeoGonzo

WTF, i just returned from a exploration expedition from BETELGEUSE, as i tried to sell my first data, it was loading for a helluva long time, and then all my balance went to 0, FFS.

Whew, luckily quickly closing the game process, prevented it from saving with 0 balance i guess, gonna try selling once more.

untitledn8sgd.png
I'm a fan of your mining stats: "Tried it, wasn't for me"

mitchman

Gold Member
There should be a ship delivery service. You order the ship you have stored across the galaxy and after a certain amount of time it'll be delivered to you. :3

They could solve this easily by putting shuttles on the market. No slots except for the essentials, 25ly jump range and low weight so could do 250 ly without refueling, for 3000 cr. Pick up a shuttle, go to where your ship is stored, sell shuttle, pick up ship. It's not rocket science and it would save them having to implement to complex ship service.

GeoGonzo

Mining in its current form is for NO ONE. Horribly under-designed. That and exploration need some major love.
True, true. I'm just amused becase my mining stats looked exactly like that in gamma. In retail I have a nice 0 profit there, till I read some patch changes.

Also agreed on exploration needing some love, both in boring regular discoveries (they should be at least worth the time it takes to scan them and way too many things give basically nothing) and exceptional ones (which should feel like a jackpot). Also, a "sell all exploration data" button, please?

SLV

I'm a fan of your mining stats: "Tried it, wasn't for me"

Heh, such low payout for so much manual labor, when we get some mining drones or tractor beams, i might consider it more as a venture for some profit, for now hauling, traveling and combat are satisfying for me i guess.

When you're looking at weapons on a hardpoint they'll have a number and a letter. The number is the class, or size, of the weapon, the letter is the rating, or the quality.

Can't stress enough how beautiful the scenes are here in 27 G. Caeli. Look at that ringed giant peeking its head over!

Ooo... I think you're going to have a buddy soon.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

untitledn8sgd.png

Good job! I've just started my first true exploration trip, currently I'm just a Surveyor Rank pilot. I doubt I'll do much trading nor bounty hunting anymore, exploration is what I find fun in Elite. Once you get out far enough even the NPC pilots disappear. When I get back into civilized space I'll be selling my weapons and trading a bit to buy myself a Class A FSD, some repair units, and the Advanced Scanner. After that I'll be living in deep space, only returning to stations to sell off data and restock.

Moldiver

So been getting bounties and it says I've made 16k....I return to pick it up and I only get 1k :( is this a bug?

Also where is everyone hanging about now, Ho Hsi seems kinda quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom