• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

onken

Yes, the wanted mechanic is dumb, but flying into a station without getting scanned isn't rocket science.

Depends. If it's one of those dumb rotating ball-like stations you may well be blasted before you can even find the door (ask me how I know...)

contacting a security vessel nearby to transfer the payment would be ace.

Yeah a system like Oblivion would be fine. Pay your fine right now OR try and run and get blasted.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
it might be a server bug or maybe Ho Hsi won the civil war?

Maybe someone with a bunch of newfound cash donated a bunch to the other side just to mess it up?

They definitely didn't win - essentially the only thing that changed is Ho Hsi Corp dropped from civil war to "pending civil war" and Jet Comms is the only faction in Civil War state right now. Here's a thread about it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r8rq0/ho_hsi_war_is_over/
I think it's either bugged or not implemented. Bummer. Well, it had a good run - maybe I'll come back if they mention it in a patch, otherwise I think the system just isn't working.

---

So plasma accelerator is fun :D

Neat, I'll have to try that out. I had been running the same thing but with fixed beam lasers. The precision at long range is a big advantage. I went from cobra back to the battle-Asp because more dakka.

---

Great thread about shields here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2r813l/shield_classrating_testing_results/

One key point is that no, going to a higher shield class doesn't increase its effectiveness if the previous one already had sufficient "optimal mass".
"dropping an Asp sheild from class 6 to class 5 (50t over the optimum mass) only had around a 6% cost ...
dropping an Asp shield from class 5 to class 4 had about a 45% cost"

Base shield strength is indicated by a number on the ship buying screen, and then that strength is reduced if your shields don't have the mass covered.

Shifty76

Cool. Will be going fixed once I get a little better.

How do weapon grades work. Is there a 1A beam laser or do the grades only go up with type?

Also. When I get interdicted and win do I not get anything like a bounty or something?
Weapon grades are fixed - there are no better versions, just fixed, gimballed and turreted, in order from strongest to weakest.

Sarcasm

Trade gold and Advanced Catalysers between Hu Jona (Crichton City) and HR 8170 (Fiennes Vision)
4.7ly trip, 2.2k/t profit on the round trip. Took 20 secs to look that up on Thrudds :)

I also was using the same thing ffs.

Bah what am I doing wrong lol

bj00rn_

Banned
It amuses me every time I see a 45-50k "slave mission" at a station already selling slaves. Perhaps the easiest money in the game?

Effect

Tried out my Extreme 3D Pro again and seem to be making a decent amount of progress. Not at comfortable as the 360 controller but docking is significantly "easier" now with using the joystick and keyboard (for thruster control). Made some of the combat training missions easier as well. Just a matter of becoming comfortable with things I guess.

It amuses me every time I see a 45-50k "slave mission" at a station already selling slaves. Perhaps the easiest money in the game?
Yup I was exploiting this the other day. You can exit to menu and the missions will reload eventually. It's nice for some quick cash. Haha!

Kyoufu

Which specific flight stick do you guys recommend? I see various "HOTAS" sticks on Amazon varying from cheap to expensive.

Atomski

I hate how someone just randomly flies into your crossfire and gets you a measly 200cr wanted and next thing you know the cops and and or that pilot is on you.

I know its my own fail and I should be watching out for players who do it but ugh..

200cr just seems like such a small amount to be attacked for.

Edit: seems like this complaint isn't just me.

Weapon grades are fixed - there are no better versions, just fixed, gimballed and turreted, in order from strongest to weakest.

Ah,so if I have a 1E Beam laser, the only version better is either a +1 to the class or to go with fixed because gimballed is slightly less powered? Obviously can't increase a small hard point to medium or something. And the letter rating increase is because of the weapon type being more powerful (shotgun, pistol, etc.. For comparison)?

Just want to make sure there isn't a 1A beam laser out there or something.

Edit: how effective are turrets, how do they work?

Sarcasm

Trade gold and Advanced Catalysers between Hu Jona (Crichton City) and HR 8170 (Fiennes Vision)
4.7ly trip, 2.2k/t profit on the round trip. Took 20 secs to look that up on Thrudds :)

Okay..help me. I tried to find this on http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/

I can't find your trade at all....can anybody help?

I entered in LHS 3589 and had to lower profit down to 600 to find ANYTHING.

Also upgrades and using the outfitting is still freakin confusing and archaic (like the galaxy map lol).

How can I tell how far a FSD drive can jump? Or even my ship currently.

Shifty76

Okay..help me. I tried to find this on http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/

I can't find your trade at all....can anybody help?

I entered in LHS 3589 and had to lower profit down to 600 to find ANYTHING.

Also upgrades and using the outfitting is still freakin confusing and archaic (like the galaxy map lol).

How can I tell how far a FSD drive can jump? Or even my ship currently.

Set pad size to med and distance to 30 ly. I just checked it again now and its still there

Shifty76

Ah,so if I have a 1E Beam laser, the only version better is either a +1 to the class or to go with fixed because gimballed is slightly less powered? Obviously can't increase a small hard point to medium or something. And the letter rating increase is because of the weapon type being more powerful (shotgun, pistol, etc.. For comparison)?

Just want to make sure there isn't a 1A beam laser out there or something.

Edit: how effective are turrets, how do they work?

Correct. Never used turrets.

Just tried to kill a pirate lord in my asp. Bad idea! First go I warped in and was instantly hammered before I could even target it. Second attempt I at least got a few shots off but even with all class A gear I got shredded while barely even denting his shield. Shrugged off my dual plasma blasts like they were nothing.

Anyone recommend any vids showing tactics vs pirate lords? I can take down regular anacondas no problem, but the elite pirate lords wreck me before I can even get set up.

*edit* Found one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vepkcm9IRY Guy makes it look so easy!

Shifty76

Holy shit I just had the most intense fight ever. After watching some vids I figured I'd try another pirate lord.

Discovered that chaff was super important so bound that and shield cells to a hotkey (HIGHLY recommended to do this as previously I had to fart around with firegroups)

So under a screen of chaff I managed to get in close and give him full volleys of lasers and missiles.
I ran out of missiles with him at 20% hull and me at 50%

Danced around with chaff and hit with the the lasers and multicannons and got him down to 5% but I was at 15% and my canopy had given out.

Screw it, it's do or die now. Pop chaff to disrupt his guns but he's head on so his fixed guns can still hit me. He's at 2% I'm at 8%

Full power to weapons...1% yes I'm gonna do it! System malfunction, multicannons down...no.....wait, I still have beam lasers, hit him with those.

My canopy shatters, sparks and smoke everywhere. Life support kicks on, 2% hull. Frantically hitting him with the beam lasers...0% Yes! OK just blow up already, if any one of his last dying shots hits me I'm a goner.

Finally...BOOM! Missions accomplished. 3:45 of life support time remaining. If I survive this I'm upgrading that unit! Never even considered it.

OK, scan for nearest station...1300 ls...oh no, you're killing me. Full power to engines, FSD engaged.

Distance is closing rapidly...1000, 900...800...2:30 left on the life support, I can do this.

Interdiction. Oh God, not now. With no canopy I can't even SEE the escape vector. I don't have time for this! Throttle to zero to submit. Valuable seconds ticking away. OK, submitted. I don't know what your name is, and I'm not sticking around to find out. Thrusters activated, FSD engaged but I only have 1:30 of life support left. Cabin starting to freeze up.

OK, back in supercruise, 600 ls to go...500...400....clock at 1:10.
Oh crap, I'm headed in the wrong direction, pay attention dumbass, navigating isn't so easy with no canopy...OK, back on target. Can NOT afford to overshoot this, which is easier said than done with no canopy to show the timer. Don't want to slow down but I have to. 6 mm, 5, 4, 3, 2...1 that's it, disengage FSD.

Drop to regular speed, 45 secs left in my life. Boost toward station, At least I can see where I'm going now. Request docking. Coming in hot. Docking this asp is a pain in the ass at the best of times. Hope the landing pad lights up or I'm screwed.

20 secs, lined up with entrance to station. Still going 200 but I can't afford to slow down. Sneak through the entrance, just grazing the side...where's my pad...15 secs left...there it is. Landing gear down, get down there...oh no, overshooting it...thrusters in reverse...no, not that much dammit! Reversed too far. OK, got this, back in line, drop down now...5 secs life support left...docking successful.

Sweet Jesus the life support reset to 5 mins...Repair all. 180k. I don't care if the pirate bounty was only 160k, I killed him and I lived to tell about it!

Hands are shaking with adrenaline...that was the most exciting video game moment I've had in years!

TL/DR: Screw you, read the whole thing dammit.

Excuse me while I go pop a victory beer.

owlbeak

Holy shit I just had the most intense fight ever. After watching some vids I figured I'd try another pirate lord.

Discovered that chaff was super important so bound that and shield cells to a hotkey (HIGHLY recommended to do this as previously I had to fart around with firegroups)

So under a screen of chaff I managed to get in close and give him full volleys of lasers and missiles.
I ran out of missiles with him at 20% hull and me at 50%

Danced around with chaff and hit with the the lasers and multicannons and got him down to 5% but I was at 15% and my canopy had given out.

Screw it, it's do or die now. Pop chaff to disrupt his guns but he's head on so his fixed guns can still hit me. He's at 2% I'm at 8%

Full power to weapons...1% yes I'm gonna do it! System malfunction, multicannons down...no.....wait, I still have beam lasers, hit him with those.

My canopy shatters, sparks and smoke everywhere. Life support kicks on, 2% hull. Frantically hitting him with the beam lasers...0% Yes! OK just blow up already, if any one of his last dying shots hits me I'm a goner.

Finally...BOOM! Missions accomplished. 3:45 of life support time remaining. If I survive this I'm upgrading that unit! Never even considered it.

OK, scan for nearest station...1300 ls...oh no, you're killing me. Full power to engines, FSD engaged.

Distance is closing rapidly...1000, 900...800...2:30 left on the life support, I can do this.

Interdiction. Oh God, not now. With no canopy I can't even SEE the escape vector. I don't have time for this! Throttle to zero to submit. Valuable seconds ticking away. OK, submitted. I don't know what your name is, and I'm not sticking around to find out. Thrusters activated, FSD engaged but I only have 1:30 of life support left. Cabin starting to freeze up.

OK, back in supercruise, 600 ls to go...500...400....clock at 1:10.
Oh crap, I'm headed in the wrong direction, pay attention dumbass, navigating isn't so easy with no canopy...OK, back on target. Can NOT afford to overshoot this, which is easier said than done with no canopy to show the timer. Don't want to slow down but I have to. 6 mm, 5, 4, 3, 2...1 that's it, disengage FSD.

Drop to regular speed, 45 secs left in my life. Boost toward station, At least I can see where I'm going now. Request docking. Coming in hot. Docking this asp is a pain in the ass at the best of times. Hope the landing pad lights up or I'm screwed.

20 secs, lined up with entrance to station. Still going 200 but I can't afford to slow down. Sneak through the entrance, just grazing the side...where's my pad...15 secs left...there it is. Landing gear down, get down there...oh no, overshooting it...thrusters in reverse...no, not that much dammit! Reversed too far. OK, got this, back in line, drop down now...5 secs life support left...docking successful.

Sweet Jesus the life support reset to 5 mins...Repair all. 180k. I don't care if the pirate bounty was only 160k, I killed him and I lived to tell about it!

Hands are shaking with adrenaline...that was the most exciting video game moment I've had in years!

TL/DR: Screw you, read the whole thing dammit.

Excuse me while I go pop a victory beer.
Love it! Congrats on narrowly escaping death! Love the little moments like that in this game! :D

Jedi2016

Hm.. station interiors are pressurized, I would have expected life support to switch back as soon as you were through the entrance. You're breathing the station's air at that point.

CSJ

Correct. Never used turrets.

Just tried to kill a pirate lord in my asp. Bad idea! First go I warped in and was instantly hammered before I could even target it. Second attempt I at least got a few shots off but even with all class A gear I got shredded while barely even denting his shield. Shrugged off my dual plasma blasts like they were nothing.

Anyone recommend any vids showing tactics vs pirate lords? I can take down regular anacondas no problem, but the elite pirate lords wreck me before I can even get set up.

*edit* Found one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vepkcm9IRY Guy makes it look so easy!

All you need is chaff and shields cells.
In a Cobra I put no pips on engines (Put them to shields if you're taking fire as 4 pips = 150% damage absorbtion and then weapons if he's missing), use flight assists off and strafe sideways around him using gimbaled burst lasers and multi cannons.

31 Chaff by default, never use them all and I use two shield cells giving me a total of like 18 recharges which is also overkill but whatever, nothing else goes in that slot.

That's it, without the chaff and cells it's a pain, chaff will confuse his turreted weapons.

I had to delete everyone off my friends list as it was causing an issue where I would never see other players in open play.

It's not because I don't love you.

That plus changing some network settings and validating my files seems to have fixed it as I'm seeing people quite often now so I might go back and add everyone to confirm if that was effecting it or not. It came as a suggestion on the official forums.

Sarcasm

Set pad size to med and distance to 30 ly. I just checked it again now and its still there

Don't see the trade you mentioned but I do see some 2484 profit ones.

godt0u81.png

So how do I tell how far I can jump with current ship.

Compsiox

Banned
Bought this on Thursday hoping to play it on Friday which on that day I learned that I would be gone all weekend. So much for enjoying myself before break is up.

Are there any good tutorials for what to actually do in the game? I flew off to a star system and got lost, found a station but have no idea how to dock in it. Wtf am I supposed to be doing?

I was in a similar position to start with. Took a couple of attempts but made my first trip last night. Docking was hairy, first one I hit the wrong control and ended up wedged in the station girders unable to get loose. Second attempt was better, but came in at the wrong angle. By the time I lined up again and made the attempt I was down to 5 seconds on the clock!

What I found helped was running the game windowed and following a 'from the start' on youtube. If you do a search for 'Elite Dangerous - Getting Started Step-by-Step | Let's Play #1 | Launch Day Tutorial' by Adoredtv user, that was the one I used and found more helpful (if a little longwinded, it's 40 minutes)than the official tutorials.

Oh and for those with joystick set ups seen this :-

http://imgur.com/G3uc2PU

Full thread with links here

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12745

(links found on other forums, just thought people here might like).

Reese-015

I'm still an extremely novice player. Most of the times docking is not an issue for me somehow but sometimes... I just don't manage to make it work. I really don't understand why. I line it up perfectly and touch down right in the middle but it just doesn't lock. Any tips?

I'm still an extremely novice player. Most of the times docking is not an issue for me somehow but sometimes... I just don't manage to make it work. I really don't understand why. I line it up perfectly and touch down right in the middle but it just doesn't lock. Any tips?

Turn your ship of 180 degree, you are facing at the wrong direction

There's a "thing" which is never explained. You can't dock in any way you want, only in a predetermined way. When you come in sight of the landing pad make sure to dock with your back against the structure that appears at one of the edges of the pad. If you align yourself with it at the bow of your ship, you won't be able to dock.

HelloMeow

There's a "thing" which is never explained. You can't dock in any way you want, only in a predetermined way. When you come in sight of the landing pad make sure to dock with your back against the structure that appears at one of the edges of the pad. If you align yourself with it at the bow of your ship, you won't be able to dock.

Yes. You have to face the number.

Reese-015

Turn your ship of 180 degree, you are facing at the wrong direction

Yes. You have to face the number.

Oooooh! Thanks guys.

Jackpot

Banned
I'm sort of stuck for what to do next. I have a comfortably upgraded Viper and get 50000 -100000 credits per hunting spree but it'll take ages to get the Asp and I have no desire to start learning trade routes.

What capital ship combat zones are close the starting system of LHS 3447?

anyone?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So what is the next step in Ho Hsi ?

Now that it's reverted to a non-war state, wait for a patch I'd say. Other people are working on similar systems and no one's been able to get the dominant faction to change. I'm not convinced the code for that is ready.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I've been doing trading runs here and there plus the occasional kill pirates mission when I come across them, slowly upgrading the modules in my Asp. Last night I tried mining again in a system which had pristine reserves. I still find it an extremely slow way to make credits, I think the only slower way to earn credits is by exploration. But I enjoy exploration more, in fact exploring is what I think I love to do best in this game.

So, I've decided to start heading out a bit into deep space. Not too far yet, I don't have any auto repair modules yet but after perusing the galactic map some last night I've picked my first deep space destination. It's the Pleiades Nebula, sitting just above Moorcock Depot in this picture I took:

And yeah, the station is truly called Moorcock Depot. I've wandered to the point now where inhabited systems are starting to thin out, and looking at the map tells me that I'm on the border of where humanity fades away and leaves just empty systems for me to jump to.

All my life I've stared at the Pleiades Cluster, both with my eyes, binoculars, and my 10" Dobsinion telescope. It's one of my favorite things to look at in the night sky. Well now I'm off to see it up close and personal as my trial run into deep space exploration!

Credit grinding can wait!

Anyone experiencing a bug/glitch where the docking pad number doesnt appear when you enter into a space station?

Happening every 2nd time I dock. Usually, I have to go to the end of the interior of the station, turn around, and the number will appear. But not always. Can be frustrating.

All my life I've stared at the Pleiades Cluster, both with my eyes, binoculars, and my 10" Dobsinion telescope. It's one of my favorite things to look at in the night sky. Well now I'm off to see it up close and personal as my trial run into deep space exploration!

Good luck! Take lots of pictures to share!

Anyone experiencing a bug/glitch where the docking pad number doesnt appear when you enter into a space station?

Happening every 2nd time I dock. Usually, I have to go to the end of the interior of the station, turn around, and the number will appear. But not always. Can be frustrating.

This has happened to me before but it's very uncommon. You can still locate it with your compass. What's even crazier is when the docking UI doesn't show up when you're above the pad. Docking blind is a whole new challenge.

You and me both man, Pleiades has always been an entrancing thing to look at. I considered making that trip myself too, so definitely share your pictures here, I look forward to seeing them.

Sarcasm

All the time -.-

How do I sell parts of my ship? I upgraded my FSD..going to a better ship..want to sell it before ship.

Mikeside

OK, I'm getting somewhere.

I've got an Eagle (which I didn't realize...but I always had docked for me) and I've upgraded to 3 gimballed weapons with better power distribution and various other upgrades.

I'm a lot more equipped to fight now and I guess I'm better experienced at knowing when to get the fuck outta there.

Got interdicted by a wanted player in another Eagle trying to take me out earlier & I very quickly turned him into spacedust for 6k bounty.

What's the best 'next step' for me if I want to go down the combat route? I'm pretty happy chasing bounties for now, but would like to find some bigger fish to go after.

Jackpot

Banned
Was there an update? New fed fighters buzzing around and friendly radar contacts showing as green.

What's the best 'next step' for me if I want to go down the combat route? I'm pretty happy chasing bounties for now, but would like to find some bigger fish to go after.

Once your Eagle tops out (though so far it's been my favourite ship) you can move on to the Viper and start messing around with heavy weapons.

Took on an NPC Anaconda in my Viper and won (deadly rank). I had another Anaconda NPC fighting with me until he went up and blew up when the target was still 80% hull. I was on my own the rest of the way.

I spotted two more wanted Anacondas after that, but wasn't so lucky. The second one was killed by NPCs while I was trying to find its power plant (remind me to never cycle through sub targets with Y ever again). The third one I engaged and was doing fine, but he had alot of friends in the area. My radar was a sea of red and other NPCs were ganging up on me so I just bailed.

Just made 172K from bounty hunting in about 30-45 minutes. Damn fun I tell ya.

Starting to creep in on me lately. At least I find myself not playing as long as I was in one sitting. While trading was great for making money I stopped because it became a chore. I've got my Type 6 stored and ready for more when I need some money, but I really hope Frontier kicks it into overdrive and starts adding features.

Lettuce

I have been given a rebel transmission mission, from the Oleskiw station to intercept rebel 2 transmission but as soon as i accepted the mission i noticed the mission was in my completed missions (maybe i intercepted the transmission previously and not noticed?), so i clicked on the mission and it said congratulations blar blar but when i click on the give cargo button nothing happens, any ideas?

bj00rn_

Banned

"I loved it, and it made me feel stupid, and I loved it more... And then I got the hang of it, I read a little about what to do, and suddenly everything was boring."

well, lol, I just thought that was a hilarious line; the OP appears to be just as knee-deep as he thinks E:D is.

I like this thread here on gaf because we have plenty of room for both praising the good parts and criticising the bad parts - In mostly intelligent manners.

With that said, I'd also like more, lots more. Most of all I expect more..life. ..And planetary landings :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom