• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB rating leaks Horizon: Zero Dawn Remastered for PS5 and PC

saintjules

Gold Member
It's the opportunity cost and diversion of resources to produce an almost completely unnecessary remake when there are an infinite number of other ideas that could be published.

That's not really our decision to make. We also aren't given information as to what "resources" are being used there to update/make/release this.

How do we know if they're using a ton of "resources" to do this? What if said resources was already allocated to the project years prior?

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Are PC players getting a free upgrade?

Season 4 Troll GIF by Living Single

midnightAI

It isn't the selling of the game that is troublesome. It's the opportunity cost and diversion of resources to produce an almost completely unnecessary remake when there are an infinite number of other ideas that could be published.

This is purely capitalist fodder for the stock market, not for us, and that is why we are upset.
Do you know what resources were assigned? Cost involved compared to sales they'll make? Come on, these remasters take very little actual effort, they are done by small teams internally and cost peanuts compared to the cost of new games. I seriously doubt they took much resources away from development of new games (whether that's Horizon 3 or a new IP)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe they want a showcase title for PS5 Pro, so fans can make comparison video/image of the PS4 version and the new remaster on PS5 Pro and share on social media to market the PS5 Pro

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
At first I was thinking that this makes little to know sense, as the game is already playable on PS4/5 and PC. One explanation is that they are doing it to make it to take more advantage of the new hardware on PS5 and Pro, which would make sense, but I wonder if there could be more to it than that.

I wonder if Sony's love for doing some of these remasters, rather than updates to the existing code is because they are putting in the hooks to take advantage of not just what is available now, but what might also be happening in the future?

One thing could be that they know PSSR is going to be such a big part of the Playstation development toolkit for next generation, that building it in at the ground level to the games now will then allow these games to shine for longer in the future, as the tech and hardware improves.

Another theory I have, kind of related maybe, is that they are also catering for a PS handheld or Switch 2 versions of these games into their build pipeline, so if/when these devices come to the market all these remastered games can be released quickly with native support. HZD on Switch 2 may make a lot of sense given that the Lego game is coming to Switch and there will be an audience moving to Switch 2 that might be ready to then play the 'proper' game.

Obviously a side benefit of all these remastered is that they can keep 'milking' money out of a game for years to come, but I honestly think their thinking is beyond PS5 and PC.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
And if you took your blind hatred of Hulst off () you'd know why remasters are made, I'm a developer, I see it from the developer side of things as to why remasters are made.... it's money at the end of the day but there are other advantages as I have mentioned. No-one is forcing anyone to buy these remasters, and yet, they sell. But 'duurrrrr, braindead Sony Ponys', get the fuck out of here with that shit, if that was the case then Concord would have sold well.
1) We know why they are made. To make money. Same as every other product. People are not “braindead” they are frustrated.

2) The advantages to the company are irrelevant to the consumer. Nobody gets the game based off the “at least devs got some billables in making this, I’m going to buy it.” Hate to break it to you, I have a strong suspicion that when buying any products, nobody cares about any internal decisions.

Look of course it will probably make enough to justify the cost as there are people out there who will buy whatever as long as there is a new setting in the menu. Consider that Sony has nothing first party right now and the faucet is off. But let’s not pretend that the optics on this are pretty awful. I mean is this what it’s become, remasters and remasters of remasters? Apathy in consumers to a company’s products is not good. I think this is what it generates in the long term.

Elios83

I'm much more interested into experiencing Zero Dawn again through the new Lego Horizon game than this.
But if it's a 10$ upgrade it's basically the cost of a small DLC so depending on the visual/gameplay/qol upgrades I might consider it. If it's 40+$ absolutely not interested.

Last edited:

Bry0

GIF by Phantom Thread

Horizon is super mid. This feels unnecessary but of course it will sell alongside some cringe show or movie or whatever, and make a ton of money, and my favorite franchises will rot away on ps3.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
It isn't the selling of the game that is troublesome. It's the opportunity cost and diversion of resources to produce an almost completely unnecessary remake when there are an infinite number of other ideas that could be published.

This is purely capitalist fodder for the stock market, not for us, and that is why we are upset.

Exactly this. I don't get why it's so difficult to understand.

Sony going full Ubisoft is pathetic.

//DEVIL//

more horizon ports....

this and the last of us....

If anyone buy this then you are a monkey. nothing else I can add to be honest. you deserve to be robbed

Also i hope it sells Zero units.

remake of the game on PC ? what will they add ? ray tracing and look we have a remake ?

fuck off

Rayderism

Talk about a game that didn't need a remaster, yet so many games that are stuck on PS3 could be remastered and are just ignored. It really boggles the mind at how Sony is leaving so many IP's on PS3, yet complain they lack IP's to capitalize on. It's as if they don't even know what IP's they actually have anymore.

salva

One of the worse games I've played.
... And Sony would release a remaster of the fucking PS4 dashboard and sell if for $40.
Costume Party Sigh GIF by Halloween Party

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Anything that I don't want is an opportunity cost (from my POV), and those resources could have been better spent elsewhere to my liking.

But that's not how the world works.

Will this remaster sell some copies? Of course, it will. A lot of people will buy this remaster, which means Sony spent their resources in the perfect manner (from those customers' POV).

And that is why the original comment was fine: we don't have to buy it if we don't like it. We can ignore this product just like we ignore the hundreds of other games that release every year.

Skifi28

And that is why the original comment was fine: we don't have to buy it if we don't like it. We can ignore this product just like we ignore the hundreds of other games that release every year.

This. I will forever be puzzled by those trying to shame others for spending their money how they like. We don't all have to like the same things. Vote with your wallet like I will do and let the market decide If it was unnecessary or not.

NickFire

Downloaded the OG (free via + or collection) but never played it. Figured I’d finally get to it after I’m done with GoW and then Last of Us 2. A remaster would be the perfect time to try it if it’s like 10 to upgrade the free version.

Three

If this wasn't a game about an obnoxious, arrogant lesbian in a world where all the women are perfect and the men are bad, this might actually be good news.
The main antagonist is a woman (Tilda van der Meer) and Regalla is also a woman. There are more good men in that world than there are women. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Fucking waste of money.
It probably cost little to make. It's barely a waste. Like HZD running on the HFW engine for improvements.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
It probably cost little to make. It's barely a waste. Like HZD running on the HFW engine for improvements.

Dude every remaster cost little lmao. My 'waste of money' was about the game they choise to remaster, nothing to do with the cost.

They have a vast list of games that are old and could benifit for remastering, HZD is not a old game.

Top Bottom