• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

What character class am I though?

image.php

You just wanted that didn't you.

Weebos

Banned
Anybody know the recommended levels for Eldritch Hound (Tindalos) and Untold Treasures (7 EOU bosses) ?

I am interested in them but I am not sure I would play them if they're super post game.

omlet

Anybody know the recommended levels for Eldritch Hound (Tindalos) and Untold Treasures (7 EOU bosses) ?

I am interested in them but I am not sure I would play them if they're super post game.

In Untold? I'm not sure what you're asking about, tbh. :\ Are you referring to the 7 bosses that drop the king grimoires?

Weebos

Banned
Yeah, sorry for not being clear, they were the EOU2 DLC.

Thanks, level 99 seems like a no go, but maybe if I get there.

omlet

What's the easiest EO to get into right now? Was thinking about buying one as a gift.

And Happy Birthday, Mau!

Untold (EOU1) is definitely the easiest to get into IMO, because it babies you if you let it (easy mode, floor jump, story mode, story mode party).

Of course, letting it baby you is playing it wrong, but the option is there...

It really depends on who you're thinking of gifting a game to. EOIV is a good option, too, because it's probably the best balanced/designed game in the series, but it doesn't hand-hold as much as Untold can so its difficulty floor is not as low as EOU's. If you're introducing EO to an RPG vet, you can't go wrong with Untold
(expert classic mode)
or EOIV. If you're trying to get someone into the series who has a low tolerance/patience for difficulty, Untold is probably the way to go.

I didn't come here to wish you a happy birthday Mauricio!

I just so happened to check the thread and take the time out to make this post and hope you are having an awesome birthday.

DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY OR ANYTHING!

/tsundere

Hansel

Banned
Today's my birthday, so maybe Atlus will give me some EO news? right? right?

At least give me something before the year fucking ends, ffffff.

Oh snap, it's my birthday too and I literally just hopped in this thread to see if we've gotten any news on V lately. Oh well.
Happy B day.

Nachos

Happy birthday MM, you're always there when I wish I had room for a dancer in my EO4 party.

Funny. I've never once had that desire in my life.

Happy belated birthday, Mau. I'm actually using a dancer in my replay of IV right now.

It's male.

Thanks, kagamin. <3

Funny. I've never once had that desire in my life.

Happy belated birthday, Mau. I'm actually using a dancer in my replay of IV right now.

Thanks you!

And it's cool that you're using a dancer, the Dancer is a great class, can support, evade tons of attacks, and stun the shit out of everything in the game.

It's male.

#triggered

Got Record Breaker, so I'll be playing a lot less of EMD now, unfortunately~

I bought a PS4 a week ago, so I'll be busy with Bloodborne and the DLC that's coming out next month.

Also, YOU ALL better buy and play Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

spiritfox

That doesn't look like it is going to make it anyway.

Are the developers experienced or noteworthy?

Yeah. But he already has a working demo and looks to be able to finish the game anyway. There are no game names tagged to the guy, but he does say he has experience making games before.

It's just that this is exactly what I need (hopefully). Gah, people are willing to kickstart a potato salad but not this.

Edit: At least it's on Greenlight so when the Kickstarter fails he can still try there.

omlet

Man, I finally beat the floor 25 boss in EOU2 last night (story mode / expert). I got to that fight at level 60 and was getting curbstomped (Dance would kill my front row even with lv10 Sentinel Guard) so I spent some time hunting missing items and farming money and grimoire stones and was able to handle the fight much easier with a level 65 party that wasn't getting oneshotted by his attacks.

A little surprised to see they reused monsters from EO1's postgame dungeon as part of the extra dungeon in EOU2. Then again, we seem to be mixing in some EO3 influence here and treading in eldritch horror territory so even if the dungeon itself is not quite the same (thematically) as EO1's postgame, maybe this selection of enemies makes sense?

Really looking forward to a classic mode run in this game when I finish story mode... this story party drives me nuts with having such bad bind/ailment options!

kagamin

After much deliberation (not I just wasted time playing other games when I should've been playing EO), I finally figured out how I want to build my Highlander in EO2U (Head Pierce wasn't as good of as investment as I thought versus Long Thrust in terms of damage to TP ratio), hopefully it works out, I always have my backup save though. In other news, I can't keep Sovereign omlet from getting OHKO'd by certain bosses, maybe the front row was a bad idea...

After much deliberation (not I just wasted time playing other games when I should've been playing EO), I finally figured out how I want to build my Highlander in EO2U (Head Pierce wasn't as good of as investment as I thought versus Long Thrust in terms of damage to TP ratio), hopefully it works out, I always have my backup save though. In other news, I can't keep Sovereign omlet from getting OHKO'd by certain bosses, maybe the front row was a bad idea...

They gimped Sovereign's HP just enough to make them more back row than front row. Then they kept heavy armour to trick us into thinking front row was doable. With the way defence and hp work, it just isn't really effective to put them on the front row, since they will always die to strong attacks. Even when buffed they still take a pretty hard beating up front, thanks to the smaller hp pool. I miss my semi-tank EO3 princess...

All of this coming from a guy who continues to use a front row Sovereign anyway (front guard is really nice for this). Good think I don't do Etlockes.

spiritfox

I did Delayed/Cross Charge on my Highlander. It's great for taking down bosses, though it takes some time to set up. For normal battles I just use Legion Thrust/Burst and Long Thrust.

Also Etlocks sound like the worst thing ever since your party can just randomly die to an ambush.

omlet

I am stuck on the thunder dragon in EOU2 now (story mode party). Holy crap how do you deal with this guy throwing paralyze, fear, curse, and all 3 binds at you?

You can't use Prevent Order because he uses Howl so much which removes buffs. And he will do it regardless of how many buffs you have, unlike in previous games (IIRC) where Howl would only be used if your party had too many buffs. I have attempted the fight 6 times now and I get wiped out by turn 9 every time (if not sooner) and only deal about 1/4 of his life bar. Can't seem to have any luck landing ailments or binds on him and the insane volume of different debilitations he throws at you mean I'm typically getting wiped out by breath due to Bertrand being feared or paralyzed or bound, or my DDs suicide via curse because he's so fast he can apply it before any of them can attack.

Anyone got any tips? I'm kind of at a loss here... accessories and food can only block 2 of his 6 affliction options, if I'm lucky. I struggled with this dragon in EOU1 too but I don't remember him being this much of an ass. (I also did classic expert first in EOU1 so I had a hexer and dark hunter, a combo which eats dragons for lunch, when I was initially battling him at level cap 70).

&#12541;(&#65344;&#1044;´)&#65417; please don't put me on the front line without a protector

Like Limit said, yeah, if you're on Expert
as everyone should be
their HP pool just isn't good enough to really handle the front row, at least until later in the game when you can afford to invest in HP Up and stack an HP Up grimoire stone on top. Even then, though, since elemental enchantments and Radiance aren't a thing in this game, there's really no good reason to put them in the front row unless you really need 3 back row slots for people who are even squishier.

Tanky princesses in EO3 was fun but they don't really work the same way in Untold D:

Anyone got any tips? I'm kind of at a loss here... accessories and food can only block 2 of his 6 affliction options, if I'm lucky. I struggled with this dragon in EOU1 too but I don't remember him being this much of an ass. (I also did classic expert first in EOU1 so I had a hexer and dark hunter, a combo which eats dragons for lunch, when I was initially battling him at level cap 70).

If I remember right, on classic I just nuked him in the first 5 turns. I did abuse the gunner's Burst Shot in order to get the damage, but Fafnir should be able to pull it off too.

I'll just copy my strat from another post I made on gamefaqs. This is for Blizzard King, but I used the same strat on Storm Emperor and killed him just as easily. I imagine you should be able to get a similar strat going with the story party, since Fafnir is stupid strong, and this set up has you take very little damage before you go wild. Of course, if you don't kill it, you are basically screwed, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Well, after watching this I decided to try it out on my level 67-ish party (Expert, Hi/So/DH G/H). Beat the beast in 6 turns, doing similar. I didn't have access to Shock Fantasia, so I used head bind as a substitute.

Turn 1: H/So G/Hi/DH
H - Weakening Curse
So - Ice Wall Shock Wall
G - Fire Prelude > Hi
Hi - Bloody Offense
DH - Power Gel > G

Turn 2: Hi/So/DH G/H
Hi - Defend
So - Front Guard
DH - Power Gel > Hi
G - Fire Prelude > G
H - Stigmata (got all 3)

Turn 3: Hi/So/DH G/H
Hi - Limitless
So - Front Guard
DH - Snake Eyes (lv 15)
G - Point Blank
H - Therica A

Turn 4: Hi/G/DH So/H
Hi - Force Boost > Spear Assist
G - Force Boost > Burst Shot
DH - Force Boost > Ecstacy
So - Shock Circle - Fire Circle
H - Force Boost > Evil Eye (fear landed)

Core comes out and shines

Turn 5 Hi/G/DH So/H
Hi - Limitless
G - Point Blank
DH - Power Gel > Hi
So - Ice Wall (for core's after turn attack as head is still bound) - Shock Wall
H - Frailty Curse

Bind wear off except for head bind

Turn 6: Hi/G/DH So/H
Hi - Spear Assist
G - Ice Round (I really wanted the conditional) - Shock Round
DH - Force Break
So - Frost Circle - Shock Circle
H - Suicide Curse

You shouldn't need to go to round 6 honestly. Stormy died on turn 4, and that was only a few levels higher plsu my DH doing nothing useful. With Fafnir and WM, you should be able to recreate the Hi/G damage.

omlet

You shouldn't need to go to round 6 honestly. Stormy died on turn 4, and that was only a few levels higher plsu my DH doing nothing useful. With Fafnir and WM, you should be able to recreate the Hi/G damage.

On Expert? How? :v

My fafnir has lv10 elemental attack up and a rank 7 stone on top of that, rank 10 fire sword with a rank 9 stone on top of that, and he can do about 300x10 damage with fire wave. I have Ariana's Attack Order at 10 with a rank 9 stone on top. He can do that on turns 2 and 3 (if not paralyzed on turn 2 by judgement), then spends a turn to extend, or use meteor smash since its damage/tp is so good). By then he's usually paralyzed or feared or cursed and either kills himself or loses a turn or two. Fafnir's damage is good but he's not that good...

Flavio and Chloe are basically useless to me on this fight until Flavio can land Blind Arrow (takes 4 turns sometimes) so that Chloe can do high damage with Ailing Slash, and Ariana can only do so much with Corrupt Howl wiping all my buffs and slamming me with curse or fear by turn 5. I usually spend turn 1 throwing Air Slash to give me better odds of landing a Blind Arrow (which, even with lv17 Curb Atk Up, lv7 curse mastery, lv 8 Triple Charge, and lv10 Blind Arrow, still usually won't stick, even after Air Slash).

If I wasn't getting hit by 3 ailments and 3 binds I could probably win this easily but I don't know how I could ever kill him fast enough with this party to not have to worry about them.

On Expert? How? :v

My fafnir has lv10 elemental attack up and a rank 7 stone on top of that, rank 10 fire sword with a rank 9 stone on top of that, and he can do about 300x10 damage with fire wave. I have Ariana's Attack Order at 10 with a rank 9 stone on top. He can do that on turns 2 and 3 (if not paralyzed on turn 2 by judgement), then spends a turn to extend, or use meteor smash since its damage/tp is so good). By then he's usually paralyzed or feared or cursed and either kills himself or loses a turn or two. Fafnir's damage is good but he's not that good...

Flavio and Chloe are basically useless to me on this fight until Flavio can land Blind Arrow (takes 4 turns sometimes) so that Chloe can do high damage with Ailing Slash, and Ariana can only do so much with Corrupt Howl wiping all my buffs and slamming me with curse or fear by turn 5. I usually spend turn 1 throwing Air Slash to give me better odds of landing a Blind Arrow (which, even with lv17 Curb Atk Up, lv7 curse mastery, lv 8 Triple Charge, and lv10 Blind Arrow, still usually won't stick, even after Air Slash).

If I wasn't getting hit by 3 ailments and 3 binds I could probably win this easily but I don't know how I could ever kill him fast enough with this party to not have to worry about them.

Of course on expert. Storm Emperor only has 32000hp on expert, so you should kill him easily if you stack your buffs well.

Alright, I refreshed myself a bit on the fight. Gamefaqs has a super helpful community when it comes to boss strategies, so most of my advice actually comes from what I've learned from there.

So, the first trick is to leg bind him on turn 1 and head bind on turn 2. That stops judgement on turn 2, since the first 3 moves are constant and makes him weaker to elemental damage. For this, you'll want to set up the first 2 turns like i did, focus on getting leg bind the first turn, then head bind after. Since I had a hexer and dark hunter, getting leg/head bind were simple but it may be harder for you depending on how you built you WM and S.

If you can lock Stormy down in the first 2 turns with leg and head bind, he'll be extremely limited in his options, and won't be able to use Corrupt Howl. During that time you need to focus on set up, which is the second trick and what makes quick kills work. This is really up to you how to get it done, but you'll be looking for a burst damage set up. Use Fafnir and Princess to buff your 3 attackers, Protector will focus on limiting damage (Volt guard turn 1, if the leg bind lands then 2 turn he can help buff, turn 3 is front guard for the incoming basic attack). Survivalist and War magus should be able to land the binds between the two of them (Force boost WM if need be). You'll want to use a prelude on each along with attack order and if possible Flame Fantasia (or some other elemental debuff on the dragon). This should set you up for major damage for a few turns, so force boost, use a high level circle and go. Prelude + circle + attack order + enemy head bind + elemental debuff all fully stack with each other, so not much will live through it.

You should be safe until turn 4 with the strategy, so just make sure to unload on turns 3 and 4 and he should fall over. If it looks dangerous and you are close, remember to focus on damage, and use your protector's force boost to buy the turn. If it still looks iffy you may have to gamble, but in that case your damage set up may need some work.

As a side note, most buffs/debuffs don't stack fully, but have diminishing returns so they aren't useful together. Preludes multiply all damage as a separate calculation, similar to how circles work so they can be stacked with a regular buffs and circles. The idea buff situation is prelude + normal buff + circle on your side, and head bind + physical/elemental debuff on the enemy side.

omlet

So, the first trick is to leg bind him on turn 1 and head bind on turn 2. That stops judgement on turn 2, since the first 3 moves are constant and makes him weaker to elemental damage. For this, you'll want to set up the first 2 turns like i did, focus on getting leg bind the first turn, then head bind after. Since I had a hexer and dark hunter, getting leg/head bind were simple but it may be harder for you depending on how you built you WM and S.

Hm, well, that's definitely not happening without some resting. Flavio's bind passive is at level 1 and Chloe's bind cuts are all at level 1, too. And I don't have any points in elemental circles. Since it's the story mode party my grimiore selection is pretty limited to whatever RNG gives me for trading, and I haven't had any useful buff grimoires show up in dozens of hours of gameplay, like since I got that rank 5 Battle Instinct one... Maybe if I rest Chloe for binds that might help... I do have a lv10 defense down curse stone and Chloe's defense down cut at lv10 so I can debuff him at least that much.

Sölf

While still only on the fourth floor of the second labyrinth in Persona Q, I am not sure if I can ever really enjoy another Etrian Odyssey after playing this. The dungeon design is so much better and the battle system has so many nice additions from Persona. ;___;

Hm, well, that's definitely not happening without some resting. Flavio's bind passive is at level 1 and Chloe's bind cuts are all at level 1, too. And I don't have any points in elemental circles. Since it's the story mode party my grimiore selection is pretty limited to whatever RNG gives me for trading, and I haven't had any useful buff grimoires show up in dozens of hours of gameplay, like since I got that rank 5 Battle Instinct one... Maybe if I rest Chloe for binds that might help... I do have a lv10 defense down curse stone and Chloe's defense down cut at lv10 so I can debuff him at least that much.

As you jump into post game, binds and buffs make thing a lot more manageable. Its a bit odd to not have much show up, so maybe you should consider a grimoire grinding session. Grab the special grimoire tea (the flower spawns are kind of rare, but possible without the dlc), drop the difficulty to picnic and let your characters just run around in a circle overnight killing things. Make sure to organize grimoires by level ascending so that it only removes your lowest level ones. You should be able to max out your count that way, making grimoire trading easy enough and maybe grab a few nice grimoires as well. You can find all active combat skills here if you want. Again, GameFAQs is a really good place for EO games, especially with the fun that RNG grinoires bring.

Otherwise, like spiritfox says, barrier will give you some respite. I focused on burst damage because my team could only survive by killing things quickly (best defence was my Highlander, who ended up only slightly better than my Sovereign in defence). I would recommend the grimoire grind either way, since it helps simplify skill management and you can automate it without any fears.

Flunkie

Banned
So, what makes this game better than any other DRPG (for a person that is unfamiliar with the genre largely)? My main comparison would be something like Demon Gaze.

omlet

So, what makes this game better than any other DRPG (for a person that is unfamiliar with the genre largely)? My main comparison would be something like Demon Gaze.

Some thoughts on EO vs DG since you mentioned it specifically. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=164857968&postcount=2608

In addition to things mentioned in that post...

Mapping is a big part of the fun for a lot of EO fans. Exploring the labyrinths and drawing the maps yourself really gives a satisfying feeling of ownership--you conquered that dungeon and you took notes to prove it.

Also, every random encounter in EO is a K.O. (or a G.O.!) waiting to happen if you're not paying attention. In stark contrast to Demon Gaze, normal enemies in EO demand respect and you are constantly challenged to adapt to handling different encounters that will also expect you to pay attention to things the game doesn't point flashing red arrows at, like action and turn speed, damage types, ailments and their potency, and more. When things "click" for you in EO, it becomes so rewarding to steer your team through battles.

Great Dungeon Design, Amazing music, Really interesting battle mechanics with a focus on team synergy, great and really fun classes, mapping is fucking awesome, stunning background and character art, well written minimalistic stories.

It's just the fucking best.

Now get EO4

Top Bottom