• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Bururian

So I buy EO4 today, the shop I bought it at only got in one copy, my reserve copy. I then go over to a friend's afterwards, and he gives me a copy of Fire Emblem Awakening. I just double downed pretty hardcore.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I like this new golden foe idea. Just killed a golden dreameater and gained 2.5 levels for 1 foe fight.

KarmaCow

Does letting a golden enemy power up over each turn boost the exp rewarded? I'm assuming that golden FOEs don't run away.

Lucent

Sleep mode until after dinner, stay mad baboon

lol. If only I knew if I'd like this game or not. Maybe I can get my friend to download it so i can try it or something I dunno. I just know Atlus tends to do limited prints and it'd suck for it to be good and become rare. I don't have a 3DS atm so I can't try it.

slayn

Does letting a golden enemy power up over each turn boost the exp rewarded? I'm assuming that golden FOEs don't run away.
I don't think so? I think they just do more damage with each powerup but I don't actually know.

Bururian

If anyone missed, Here's a QR code for a Yggdrasil Baton

BEDj7YoCcAAqnQU.jpg:large

OceanBlue

Damn, I got wiped by that berserker bear or whatever. I got it down to a pixel of red life, but my healer ran out of MP in the middle of the fight and it cleared my team. ;_;

Eusis

What's funny is that it's specifically a DS health & safety booklet, and mine looked crinkled. As if they just found some forgotten one thrown out from a DS game (maybe one of the earlier EOs!) and just threw it in to take up space and pad out the case.

But yeah, having ATLUS not bother with a good physical manual is disappointing, even though the digital one's pretty solid. But Nintendo's formatting keeps them from being as interesting as a good physical manual like the Vita ones can be (though these ARE better for finding the information you need, so I guess it balances out.)

I just realized why we got a crappy "art book and comic" - it's not really a bonus, it's stuff that would have been in the regular instructions that they decided not to ship with the game. Just look at it, aside from the slightly thicker paper the stuff in that book is exactly the type of filler you'd find in a normal manual, with some nice pictures, some simple descriptions of various characters next to stylized portraits of them, and in some cases, a little comic.

Eusis

I just realized why we got a crappy "art book and comic" - it's not really a bonus, it's stuff that would have been in the regular instructions that they decided not to ship with the game. Just look at it, aside from the slightly thicker paper the stuff in that book is exactly the type of filler you'd find in a normal manual, with some nice pictures, some simple descriptions of various characters next to stylized portraits of them, and in some cases, a little comic.
That might make sense if Atlus didn't do similar with other games anyway, and you could probably have done way more with the artbook as compensation anyway (just look at how Xseed included a GUIDE with Ragnarok Odyssey's LE, presuming that's another Vita game with no manual). I think it's simply the effort of two large manuals, physical being redundant due to digital being on the cart, that made them back out. Or maybe someone got more restrictive, whether it was Nintendo or worse a retailer demanding they make the package lighter or they won't sell it.

The DS booklet is just hilarious though. 3DS games don't even come with that from what I quickly checked, I got Layton recently and it had nothing like that in the box AND a full manual (!?), I seem to recall Devil Survivor coming with nothing but a fat manual, and if it were something that's supposed to be in 3DS cases it'd be marked 3DS instead. Probably also implies something needed to be in there actually, though I hope in the future if Atlus isn't going to do manuals they do something more like that art/design booklet in future games, but thicker even if it uses cheaper paper. Skip instructions and leave that on the cart, make it like a mini-guide and/or artbook, or character/world information booklet. It's probably the way things SHOULD be going, rather than just being unimaginative and cutting out the manual.

Kevtones

New to EO:

What's a similar title? Played the demo a little - took awhile initially but the dungeon-ing seems ace.

I like the visuals/music.

Worth $40 content-wise right?

n64coder

I got the game yesterday for my oldest daughter who does not want to share it with her sister. I tried telling her that I thought it would be best to get a single copy so that we can get more different games rather than more copies of the same game. Nope, doesn't want to share, don't care about more different games.

Sigh. So I guess I'll be finding a Gamestop today to procure a second copy.

Anteo

I got the game yesterday for my oldest daughter who does not want to share it with her sister. I tried telling her that I thought it would be best to get a single copy so that we can get more different games rather than more copies of the same game. Nope, doesn't want to share, don't care about more different games.

Well since you can only have one save game, sharing the game is not something I'd do either.

spiritfox

Your daughter has excellent taste in games. But yeah, there's only one save file.

Your two daughters are awesome. I shall endeavour to ensure my daughter is similar when she gets older.

Also...just download the second copy from the Estore.

So my copy actually didn't come with anything at all. No health and safety booklet.

Could this whole thing be some kind of weird error? I would at least expect them to include a single sheet directing us to the digital manual.

Well there is that gaffer that said he's been binding FOEs and Bosses left and right

Yeah, everybody was complaining earlier about binds being useless...my sniper has 2 points in leg bind and on both fawns it bound their legs on the first try. Of course it's somewhat random but don't discount the sniper. Binds are always critical in this series.

n64coder

Sorry...I'm ignorant. I thought it was ONE game and TWO devices.

Yes, that's correct. I thought the save file is on the 3DS SD card and not the cartridge. Am I mistaken in this regard?

Another reason for buying a second copy is that there is co-op play. Not sure if it's online co-op play or local wifi or both.

Yeah, my youngest one was quite sad yesterday when I brought it home.

It was meant as a reward for the oldest one. They both had enjoyed the previous DS game a lot and were looking forward to the new release.

spiritfox

Yes, that's correct. I thought the save file is on the 3DS SD card and not the cartridge. Am I mistaken in this regard?

Another reason for buying a second copy is that there is co-op play. Not sure if it's online co-op play or local wifi or both.

Yeah, my youngest one was quite sad yesterday when I brought it home.

It was meant as a reward for the oldest one. They both had enjoyed the previous DS game a lot and were looking forward to the new release.

Like I said, I'm not too sure, but the game does create a save file on the SD card. Not sure if that will cause conflicts or not. Can anyone confirm?

I wonder if you could:

- download the game from the shop
- back it up to the computer
- create a save and play the game
- back up that game+save to the computer
- restore your previous backed up copy
- create another save and play the game
- keep alternating back and forth with PC backups to simulate having two saves

Is there? I didn't think there was. How would this work?

I think all you can do is streetpass.

EO is a really personal experience, and there's only one save file. I understand why your daughter would not share

Totakeke

I'm feeling that the game has too many sidequests making the main game much easier if you do spend time doing them. Also, so many equipment.

Alboreo

I swapped out my Runemaster for a Sniper yesterday and haven't started to miss it at all. My Land's link attacks are making up for the lack of elemental damage so far and the Sniper's binds are great against FOEs. I have no idea why I didn't try this sooner.

I love building unique parties in these games. So fun.

vall03

I just beat the boss of Lush Woodlands without taking a single damage and in just 3 turns. I fucking love my current set-up! Can't wait to unlock the Bushi and Imperial for more massive damage later in game.

I wish it was easier to know when I'm ready to fight something.

I've killed the deer FOEs and the baboon FOE. Haven't tried the bears or the
boss bear
yet. Can I?! Should I?!

scy

Made it to the 2nd Stratum last night. Now to sit here and wonder about playing tonight ;_;

Damn, I got wiped by that berserker bear or whatever. I got it down to a pixel of red life, but my healer ran out of MP in the middle of the fight and it cleared my team. ;_;

My first attempt was a sacrifice attempt to see what his skill rotation was.

And then everyone lived ;_;

I swapped out my Runemaster for a Sniper yesterday and haven't started to miss it at all. My Land's link attacks are making up for the lack of elemental damage so far and the Sniper's binds are great against FOEs. I have no idea why I didn't try this sooner.

In retrospect, I should've done this as well (for L/F/N | D/S) since the end of the 1st Stratum is around when the damages should equalize out a bit (my Runemaster is barely leading in damage at this point, for instance) and the utility of Binds outweighs the Runemaster damage anyway.

But my desire to keep everyone at the same level of EXP will make it impossible to swap my Sniper back in now ;_; Oh well, deal with it I guess.

I wish it was easier to know when I'm ready to fight something.

I've killed the deer FOEs and the baboon FOE. Haven't tried the bears or the
boss bear
yet. Can I?! Should I?!

The Cutters? I used them to grind in the demo so I'd say you should be fine with them now. There's an indicator on the map for the FoEs relative power to your group so just go off of that for the most part.

slayn

In retrospect, I should've done this as well (for L/F/N | D/S) since the end of the 1st Stratum is around when the damages should equalize out a bit (my Runemaster is barely leading in damage at this point, for instance) and the utility of Binds outweighs the Runemaster damage anyway.
This party has served me well so far and I just unlocked chase bind which rocketed my sniper into first place for damage. She has enough TP that I can usually throw out a level 8 arm snipe at the beginning of each combat, the bind usually lands (I gave my sniper an accessory with +5 luck), and then she chases herself for a second full damage attack. And both of these attacks can crit.

OceanBlue

How are you guys building your characters? I've just been throwing around skill points everywhere because I wish my characters could do everything, but I'm starting to wonder if it were better if I focused on a few skills in a path.

Koroviev

How are you guys building your characters? I've just been throwing around skill points everywhere because I wish my characters could do everything, but I'm starting to wonder if it were better if I focused on a few skills in a path.

Balanced team with each member focusing on a skill or two. Jack of all trades is master of none :p

scy

This party has served me well so far and I just unlocked chase bind which rocketed my sniper into first place for damage. She has enough TP that I can usually throw out a level 8 arm snipe at the beginning of each combat, the bind usually lands (I gave my sniper an accessory with +5 luck), and then she chases herself for a second full damage attack. And both of these attacks can crit.

I kept the Runemaster mostly out of being stubborn, I guess. I wanted to give them a fair chance since I normally don't run casters that often in the EO games (aka, I blame Alchemists) without a good reason to do so. It should get better at 20+ for the damage output so it's not really an issue I suppose.

Though, on that note, I didn't even realize Chase Bind was a Passive. Well ... alright ;_;

oh no, am I going to solo grind a Level 10 Sniper to 20 now

OceanBlue

Balanced team with each member focusing on a skill or two. Jack of all trades is master of none :p

It's so hard to pick though ;_;. Landstar does so much damage with elemental attacks but Power Break is so useful, and I can't decide whether I want to go with binds or AOE for my sniper. Not to mention having to pick between team status recovery and stronger healing for my medic.

I'm not too far in the game, but I think I'll reset my characters before level 18 or 20 and pick roles for each them.

ehhh spreading things around a bit is fine. There are so many good passives in the game, yet you need to have some good situational skills to use as well.

Right off the bat I gave my medic both Heal and Patch Up, my sniper has as many binds as he can get and also the skill to raise monsters' drop rates, my landsknecht is my elemental guy so he's splitting between those three skills and also getting the attack debuff and the attack up passive, etc.

I think it's fine.

It's so hard to pick though ;_;. Landstar does so much damage with elemental attacks but Power Break is so useful, and I can't decide whether I want to go with binds or AOE for my sniper. Not to mention having to pick between team status recovery and stronger healing for my medic.

I'm not too far in the game, but I think I'll reset my characters before level 18 or 20 and pick roles for each them.

Get the binds for sure. And really, don't worry about picking the wrong thing. You will want to reset much later on anyway, as long as you can get through the game it's good to try out skills and see how you like them.

scy

For what it's worth, most skills give less and less per point spent on the skill so you hit the "best return per point spent" at around halfway through the skill (e.g., 3/6, 4/8, 5/10).

OceanBlue

For what it's worth, most skills give less and less per point spent on the skill so you hit the "best return per point spent" at around halfway through the skill (e.g., 3/6, 4/8, 5/10).

Oh, I feel a lot better about what I've been doing now. I assumed skills grew at the same rate per point.

Yeah that's a good point.

And because secondary classes have half the points you can invest in them, there's usually a bigger boost at the halfway point of a skill to encourage maxing out secondaries.

When in doubt, put 5 points in a 10 pointer, 4 points in an 8 pointer, etc.

scy

Oh, I feel a lot better about what I've been doing now. I assumed skills grew at the same rate per point.

The most obvious one I can think of right now is Runemaster's Runic Gleam. It's:

Rank 1 - 128% (+28%, I guess?)
Rank 2 - 131% (+3%)
Rank 3 - 137% (+6%)
Rank 4 - 139% (+2%)
Rank 5 - 141% (+2%)
Rank 6 - 145% (+4%)

So if you leave it at 1/6, you're not missing out on that much (17% less). If you put in two more points, you get a little over half of that (9%). The last three points are only an 8% increase.

Then again, it's a shitty example if only for the fact that this is one of those skills you'll max out anyway :x The Elemental Runes are similar (115%, 120%, 128%, 130%, 132%, 135%). Basically, expect ~55-60% of the skill by the midway point and the other 45-40% on the back half.

slayn

I kept the Runemaster mostly out of being stubborn, I guess. I wanted to give them a fair chance since I normally don't run casters that often in the EO games (aka, I blame Alchemists) without a good reason to do so. It should get better at 20+ for the damage output so it's not really an issue I suppose.

Though, on that note, I didn't even realize Chase Bind was a Passive. Well ... alright ;_;

oh no, am I going to solo grind a Level 10 Sniper to 20 now
It's pretty awesome but now I have a dilemma in that I don't know who to ditch because I really want to add an Arcanist to my party whenever that unlocks. I was leaning sniper because that is where the biggest overlap is but now I don't want to give up my sniper.

Maybe nightseeker? It would suck to lose out on that damage but with Arcanist poison and swordsman links coming online maybe I won't miss it quite so much. And except for blind being a little helpful the nightseeker isn't currently bringing anything to the party other than damage (and unreliable damage at that if blind never lands)

edit: But then it becomes more cumbersome to get the fortress into the back and still maximize my use of dancers buffs, gah!

Althane

It's pretty awesome but now I have a dilemma in that I don't know who to ditch because I really want to add an Arcanist to my party whenever that unlocks. I was leaning sniper because that is where the biggest overlap is but now I don't want to give up my sniper.

Maybe nightseeker? It would suck to lose out on that damage but with Arcanist poison and swordsman links coming online maybe I won't miss it quite so much. And except for blind being a little helpful the nightseeker isn't currently bringing anything to the party other than damage (and unreliable damage at that if blind never lands)

edit: But then it becomes more cumbersome to get the fortress into the back and still maximize my use of dancers buffs, gah!

It seems that Arcanists (
End of 2nd Stratum, I believe
) can heal (every turn a zone is active) and bind. So a Sniper or a Medic would be a replacement.

My team of L/F/D N/R doesn't really have a replacement slot for that, though, although I could see either switching the Dancer or the Nightseeker.

scy

It seems that Arcanists (
End of 2nd Stratum, I believe
) can heal (every turn a zone is active) and bind. So a Sniper or a Medic would be a replacement.

Well, they can inflict status effects as well. It's AoE Binds, AoE Status Effects, and AoE Healing/Damage (though this last one is more an additional property of their first two).

Personally, I'm probably going to replace my Runemaster and just focus on the Nightseeker, Landsknect, and Dancer for my damage core. The RM is mostly there for the early parts of the game on FoE killing.

Hugstable

Banned
Already have most of my team set but I can't decide on that last member to bring along with me. So far I have L/F/D and Medic in the back, but I can't decide on whether I want a sniper or a runemaster. This is my first EO game, which would possibly be the best to go with for someone knew. Who has more usefulness overall?

slayn

Already have most of my team set but I can't decide on that last member to bring along with me. So far I have L/F/D and Medic in the back, but I can't decide on whether I want a sniper or a runemaster. This is my first EO game, which would possibly be the best to go with for someone knew. Who has more usefulness overall?
I feel like binds are a pretty unique and interesting aspect of these games that you don't see very often whereas runemaster is just a basic elemental nuker. So if you've never played an EO game before I feel like sniper would be a newer experience regardless of which one ends up being more powerful.

Ugh. Scorpions. Anyone have a good strategy for dealing with deathstalkers? They can pretty reliably knock out one or two of my party members

Anteo

Depends. Remember that there will be monsters weak to magic and resistant to phisical attacks, so if you don't want a rune master you can go for the sniper binds as long as you put a couple of points in elemental attacks of your other guys. In the end is a matter of preference.

Top Bottom