• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

duckroll

I think I need to seriously reconsider my party makeup. I'm rolling with a Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Media, Sniper, and Runemaster. It's a party carried over from the demo. I kinda like the portraits, and they're named after some friends too. But I'm not really sure how to maximize the synergy, or if it's even possible. The Nightseeker feels kinda useless because I'm not familiar with any of his skills. The Landsknecht is the normal major damage dealer, while the Medic kinda does nothing unless she needs to heal. I gave her a Lightning Ring so she can use an offensive spell sometimes, but otherwise she doesn't do much either. The Sniper seems extremely weak compared to what I remember from EO1.

Any advice? They should all have a few skill points saved up, since I haven't invested into anything for a while now. The party is about Lvl12. I'm still clearing out B2F in the first Maze.

My Guild Card:
NnLsLl8.jpg

gjNHrOB.png

Totakeke

I think I need to seriously reconsider my party makeup. I'm rolling with a Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Media, Sniper, and Runemaster. It's a party carried over from the demo. I kinda like the portraits, and they're named after some friends too. But I'm not really sure how to maximize the synergy, or if it's even possible. The Nightseeker feels kinda useless because I'm not familiar with any of his skills. The Landsknecht is the normal major damage dealer, while the Medic kinda does nothing unless she needs to heal. I gave her a Lightning Ring so she can use an offensive spell sometimes, but otherwise she doesn't do much either. The Sniper seems extremely weak compared to what I remember from EO1.

Any advice? They should all have a few skill points saved up, since I haven't invested into anything for a while now. The party is about Lvl12. I'm still clearing out B2F in the first Maze.

My Guild Card:
NnLsLl8.jpg

gjNHrOB.png

There's not much synergy at lower levels. For Nightseeker and Sniper, you'd want to build around their class passives (the Novice skill) aside from the utility that you need from them.

scy

I'm at work so excuse my inability to get the names of all the skills right ;_;

I think I need to seriously reconsider my party makeup. I'm rolling with a Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Media, Sniper, and Runemaster. It's a party carried over from the demo. I kinda like the portraits, and they're named after some friends too. But I'm not really sure how to maximize the synergy, or if it's even possible.

Lacking a Fortress will really hurt if you're unfamiliar with the game in general. I'd probably opt out of the Nightseeker for that but you can work with what you have. Either make the composition more of a crippling focus (Status Effects on the Nightseeker, Binds on the Sniper) or utilize Nightseeker's ability to redirect aggro (Decoy Sign) and things like Power Break on the Landsknecht with their later defensive abilities.

The Nightseeker feels kinda useless because I'm not familiar with any of his skills. The Landsknecht is the normal major damage dealer, while the Medic kinda does nothing unless she needs to heal. I gave her a Lightning Ring so she can use an offensive spell sometimes, but otherwise she doesn't do much either. The Sniper seems extremely weak compared to what I remember from EO1.

Nightseeker is essentially a combo-based class based on landing a Status effect and then following up on it for massive damage; likewise, one of the Sniper routes is the same but with Binds. Both will take until their 20s to truly take off since their Novice skills are so-so. Still, I'd max Sand Throw on the Nightseeker, pre-req points in their Weapon line (your goal is the double-damage to afflicted targets), and at least one point in their auto-Shadow for the survivability.

Edit: Alternatively, Nerve Throw (Paralyze), not sure which yet has less resistances for the early game though. That and Blind's Accuracy penalty should be harsher than Paralyze's Chance to not act.

Sniper would be a similar situation of maxing Arm Bind and getting the pre-reqs towards Squall Shot (I think? The multi-hit skill). Chase Bind and Squall Shot will essentially be the Sniper's go-to skills.

Medic ... can't help you here! I went Dancer to avoid a passive Medic :x

Landsknecht should probably invest in Power Break to help with the damage output of enemies. You're pretty reliant on Blind/Arm Bind for damage reduction so Power Break will help reduce incoming damage. The Elemental Links won't really be worth it until (much) later so I wouldn't focus on them right now. Vanguard isn't going to help this group most likely due to the +Damage Taken component to it.

Runemasters pew pew pew.

Anteo

For the nightseeker I went with Ice Knife in the early stages as to have some extra elemental damage. Meanwhile my Runemaster was maxing TP Boost and had one point in Fireball and nothing else.

You should go with binds in your Sniper, they'll come in handy later, or at least that spell that never misses. The medic as any medic should be a jack of all trades at first, as to be able to heal and dispel debuffs. For my Landsknecht I wetn for Sonic Raid for the extra damage and a point on Electric Link to have another element while the Runemaster maxes TP Boost.

Edit: My party setup is based around the fact that I have a tank, in your case you should go for damage reduction to help, as the NS is not really tanky and mine is been one-shot too many times.

Do the later nightseeker status effects have a lower success chance? I've been mostly relying on sand throw to take advantage of the increased damage. Obviously the later status effects seem more useful, but will they take effect less often and are more enemies resistant to them?

duckroll

Thanks. I'm not unfamiliar with the genre (played the shit out of EO1 and 7th Dragon after all) but rather the more technical changes in the classes since EO1, so I'm not really afraid of not having a tank right now. I went with Ice Knife for the Nightseeker early on too, it's just that right now it feels like a waste of a slot instead of having another Landsknecht instead. Since synergy isn't an issue early on though, I think I'll take the advice and experiment with what sort of route I want to invest in for the later levels.

I might make a few new characters in different classes and just run them through the first two Caves to see what else they have to offer though. It'll be nice to have some back up options anyway. Thanks.

And yeah, my Nightseeker pretty much always dies in the major fights. Poor firehawk missing out on all that experience... lol.

scy

For the nightseeker I went with Ice Knife in the early stages as to have some extra elemental damage.

Landing Ice Knife 1/10 on something with a status effect should mean more than an Ice Knife 10/10 without one :x

I'd just rather have ... whatever comes after Assassinate. It's ~400% Damage at Rank 1 with a status effect. But, I think I just like the idea of the combo setup. I'd have to sit down and work out what's really better overall damage.

Meanwhile my Runemaster was maxing TP Boost and had one point in Fireball and nothing else.

I did the same but with Volt (better Tier 1 Damage, better Tier 2 damage). Not much reason in raising the skills early on in my opinion. Just maxed Runic Gleam, TP Boost, etc. Passive things and Runic Gleam just being more TP efficient.

Do the later nightseeker status effects have a lower success chance? I've been mostly relying on sand throw to take advantage of the increased damage. Obviously the later status effects seem more useful, but will take effect less often and are more enemies resistant to them?

Honestly? I have no idea. Poison will most likely be the least resisted one so I skilled my Nightseeker to max Blind for the utility of that and picked up the pre-reqs up to Poison.

Thanks. I'm not unfamiliar with the genre (played the shit out of EO1 and 7th Dragon after all) but rather the more technical changes in the classes since EO1, so I'm not really afraid of not having a tank right now.

To be fair, we're all new to these classes (barring people who played the JP version) :x They're all new.

And yeah, my Nightseeker pretty much always dies in the major fights. Poor firehawk missing out on all that experience... lol.

I finally decided to get mine auto-invulnerability so she can stop getting randomly nearly killed off all the time when I'm not paying attention.

Anteo

Thanks. I'm not unfamiliar with the genre (played the shit out of EO1 and 7th Dragon after all) but rather the more technical changes in the classes since EO1, so I'm not really afraid of not having a tank right now. I went with Ice Knife for the Nightseeker early on too, it's just that right now it feels like a waste of a slot instead of having another Landsknecht instead. Since synergy isn't an issue early on though, I think I'll take the advice and experiment with what sort of route I want to invest in for the later levels.

I might make a few new characters in different classes and just run them through the first two Caves to see what else they have to offer though. It'll be nice to have some back up options anyway. Thanks.

Mine died in all the major boss battles so far =/. The worst part is that many times in Boss fights the boss does a AOE attack and it goes like this:

Landsknecht takes 80 damage.
Nightseeker takes 120 damage, goes down.
Fortress evades the attack.

That happens way too many times to be just a coincidence.

Edit:

Landing Ice Knife 1/10 on something with a status effect should mean more than an Ice Knife 10/10 without one :x

True, but I also have status effects now. Plus they are not relaible in a boss fight. (Except that time I landed a blind the first turn against the first boss)

scy

Fortress evades the attack.

That happens way too many times to be just a coincidence.

All that bulky Armor is really, really flexible.

True, but I also have status effects now. Plus they are not relaible in a boss fight. (Except that time I landed a blind the first turn against the first boss)

Right but I'd rather go 6/6 Sand Throw into maxing a weapon skill rather than maxing a weapon skill and then Sand Throw. Just means you're getting the utility of the status effect and the passive going more often. Either way works in the end so I suppose it's preference. I'd still opt for the status first since landing the Blind is a fairly big deal for a no tank team.

Also, as far as the first Boss is concerned, I don't think he has any Blind resistance (e.g., 100%). I just wish Blind would last longer when it did land ;_;

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Getting high damage hits with my nightseeker has been much more reliable with an arcanist in my party. Their poison zone seems to have absurdly high accuracy at least right now.

Before that, I still got a lot of utility out of sand toss but not for damage. I used it as a cheap attack to blind high damage regular monsters. Against foes/bosses I kind of gave up trying to blind them and instead used the 2hit slow knife move as a way to trigger 2 flame links.

I'm ok with a sniper using arm snipe over and over and never having it land because at least they are still making a 160% attack. The problem with the night seeker's abilities is if they never land you are just wasting damage you could have had by using one of their weapon moves instead.

scy

Getting high damage hits with my nightseeker has been much more reliable with an arcanist in my party. Their poison zone seems to have absurdly high accuracy at least right now.

Their +Status/Bind Chance Passive helps a lot for this as well. Especially since it's added after Resistances, I believe, not before.

Before that, I still got a lot of utility out of sand toss but not for damage. I used it as a cheap attack to blind high damage regular monsters. Against foes/bosses I kind of gave up trying to blind them and instead used the 2hit slow knife move as a way to trigger 2 flame links.

I just spammed Blind during my normal setup turns; I treated it like Vanguard, Runic Gleam, etc. buffs. Once my setup was done, I'd just keep going regardless of the Blind landing or not. That said, it'd usually land during these turns so it didn't matter.

The problem with the night seeker's abilities is if they never land you are just wasting damage you could have had by using one of their weapon moves instead.

80% Damage ;_;

I don't have the game yet and I'm already thinking of the sub classes

My land could subclass as a runemaster to maximize the damage of the links
Fortress subclass as dancer for evasion bonuses
Dancer with Nightseeker for crazy chases(not sure of this one yet)
Runemaster and Sniper, I'm still not sure but I could see them both benefiting from the Arcanist TP regen and other stuff.

change your medic for a dancer

I'd also get a Fortress, but that's up to you

Totakeke

The way I see it, if you use Fortress at low level, you want a Medic to go with it instead of a Dancer. Unless your Fortress doesn't taunt then that's kinda silly. Dancer healing is inefficient to go with a Fortress tank.

scy

The way I see it, if you use Fortress at low level, you want a Medic to go with it instead of a Dancer. Unless your Fortress doesn't taunt then that's kinda silly. Dancer healing is inefficient to go with a Fortress tank.

There's enough splash/AoE damage to warrant it. I also ran Holy Smite on my Fortress so they had an offensive way to heal up (since their TP is practically infinite) and you can get a few points in the +HP for Defending skill.

Edit: But, yeah, Regen Waltz is a lot better with random people taking damage rather than a single tank.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
eh, fortress + dancer has worked for me. I cranked up his passive defense skill and taunt. In tough encounters I have him taunt and defend from the back row and the damage he takes is so minimal that I barely need to heal. If a battle goes poorly for me, it's because the monsters ignored the fortress or used attacks that target my other characters, not because my healing couldn't keep pace with damage being done to the fortress.

Another EO game, another set of profiles. I love doing these.

*~*

The Paragon Guild

*~*

“Are we there yet?” came the sleepy mumble from the back of the carriage.

“Almost,” Manah said without bothering to look up. “You should be getting up anyway – sleeping in that position is hell on your back.”

“Stop acting like you’re mom,” Lucius said, but nevertheless he sat up, one hand reaching up to massage his back.

“Then stop acting like a kid.”

Any further reply that might have been forthcoming was cut short as the wagon ground to a halt and the driver called out, “We’ve arrived!”

Hurriedly, Manah jumped out of the back of the wagon, her boots tramping down on the firm soil. Craning her neck, she gazed up at the vast city towering above all of them. In the distance, what appearing to be a flying boat slowly floated into one of the buildings and another set out towards the vast plains.

“This is it,” the driver continued. “Tharsis.”

“The Outland,” Manah said, her voice little more than a whisper. To her right, the vast plains stretched out – and far in the distance, she could see the hazy form of Yggdrasil.

“The last stop before the Great Unknown,” Lucius voice was just as awed.

“Well then, I’ll be taking my leave. Good luck with your journey, young’uns. Don’t get yourselves killed.” And with a tip of the hat, the wagon driver pulled away.

Licking dry lips, Manah shot a glance at her younger brother, “You ready?”

He didn’t reply for a long moment, staring instead at the city above him. And then, a single nod.

“All right, then.”

Together, brother and sister made their way towards the city gates.

*~*

Manah K. Fende
Young Brightblade
Dark-Haired Female Landsknecht

Hit: Testing Herself
Miss: Dark Places

“Wait – who was in charge of getting the Ariadne Thread this time?”

Since young, Manah had never been one to turn down a challenge. Whether it was racing with the village boys or setting out on woodland hunts, she had always been first to step up to the plate. After coming of age and deciding to make a name for herself, she learnt the trade of a swordswoman and ventured into the wide world, seeking adventure. Soon she heard of the vast and unexplored Yggdrasil Labyrinth of Tharsis, and with a moment’s hesitation, she resolved that she would be the one to conquer it.

With a bright and cheery personality, Manah finds it easy to make friends with most. Her lack of patience for administrative duties often frustrate the other members of her Guild, but they take it in stride. After all, she more than makes up for it with her skill on the frontlines.

*~*

Lucius D. Fende
Silver Youth
Blonde Male Landsknecht

Hit: Valerie
Miss: Being mistaken for a girl.

“I… I think we’re lost. Yup, third time we passed that tree. Definitely lost.”

Younger brother of Manah, Lucius’ rather delicate features and quiet, unassuming personality had often had led to him being mistaken as a female. Unsurprisingly, it’s a rather touchy subject for him, and many, including his parents and sister, believe he became an adventurer as a way to compensate for that. When Manah announced her intention to conquer Yggdrasil, Lucius decided that he would follow her, partly because he knew she lacked the temperament to run a Guild, and partly because he wanted to look after his sister. Manah rolls her eyes whenever the latter issue is brought up, but she’s secretly happy that she has a younger brother that cares.

Skilled with cartography, he handles the maps for the Guild.

Has a crush on Valerie and was the one who convinced Manah to let her join Paragon.

*~*

Rogan
The Wild Child of Tharsis
Gray-haired Fortress

Hit: Red Meat
Miss: Stuffy Bedsheets

“Furyfawns. Their parents… nearby. Careful.”

A feral youth, found near the Valley Spring as a young child. Apparently one of the Bounding Beasts that inhabit the area had taken it in and raised it as its child. After being discovered, a retired adventurer decided to take Rogan in and to train him to fit in human society. In time Rogan became a man himself, and decided that he too would take up the mantle of a warrior.

His initial meeting with Manah and Lucius came when they ventured into the Old Mine and saw him bashing his way through several Rollers, apparently intent on getting the meat they were feeding on for himself. Although somewhat uncomfortable with his eating habits, they recognized his value as a warrior and asked him to join. He agreed, provided he gets first dibs on the food they pick up during their travels on the Skyship.

Familiar with the language of beasts, Rogan excels in provoking and enraging them until they focus their attacks on him alone, leaving the rest of the party free to attack.

*~*

Chester Halteese
Heal’s Legacy
Young Male Medic

Hit: Inventing New Potions, the Scientific Method
Miss: Randomness

“Look, I can’t reattach your arm for you if you don’t even know where it is.”

A prodigy Medic and the only ever apprentice of the legendary Master Heal, Chester ventured out to Tharsis with a dual goal. Firstly, to follow in the footsteps of his Master, who conquered a Labyrinth in his own time as well, and secondly, to save lives and provide support for any who need is, as is the creed of a Medic.

He does his work well and is polite with all the members of the Guild , but spends most of his offtime in the solitude of his room. In the rare occasions that any of the Guild enters, they find always working on creating better salves and potions. The mazes and caves of the region provide an inexhaustible supply of plants and herbs for him to try, and so his experiments are equally unceasing.

*~*

’Whisper’
The Dread of Night
Young Male Nightseeker

Hit: Angsty Poetry
Miss: Flowers

“… Maybe I should go for a red coat. And dye my hair white.”

A young man who insists only being called by his alias of ‘Whisper’. According to him that, along with his mysterious past and brooding personality, shows him to be a troubled soul with an air of quiet dignity. According to everyone else it shows him to be a world –class twat.

Joined the Guild because standing on street corners and spouting long poems about the turmoil in one’s soul doesn’t put food on the table. Has some skill with a sword, but in battle usually fights by throwing sand in the enemy’s face – a surprisingly effective tactic.

Manah has been trying to get him to come out of his shell, which he has naturally mistaken for her being attracted to him. At least he seems to be considering improving his appearance.

*~*

Tenshi Nagae
Lady of the Divine Wind
Black-Haired Female Sniper

Hit: Tea
Miss: Sweet Drinks

“So this is what they call ‘Beef Steak’? I must say it smells heavenly.”

Daughter of a noble house from a distant land, Tenshi lived on the lap of luxury until the day her father became the target of an assassination. He survived the attack, but was forced to flee the land. After a period of wandering, they ended up in country of V’Tole, to the south of Tharsis, living a life of obscurity.

Hearing about the Yggdrasil Labyrinth and its mysteries, Tenshi left her parents and journeyed to Tharsis in order to join in the quest for the labyrinth, with the goal of amassing wealth and fame. Though her family may never recover their lost prestige and title, Tenshi has sworn that she will bring her family to new heights here in this bright new land instead.

*~*

Ellen Yalres
The Slumbering Flame
Brown-Haired Female Runemaster

Hit: Clay Pottery
Miss: Rainy Days

“… zzz…. Hm? Wha? Oh, right. Fire… blast…zzz”

A talented Runemaster sadly held back by her unfortunate tendency to keep dozing off, even in the middle of pitched battle, Ellen was kicked out of every Guild she joined, up until she ended up in the Paragon Guild by virtue of Manah and Lucius being too nice to turn her away. That she saved their lives by torching an Angry Baboon that had been about to smash them also severely eroded their ability to say ‘no’.

Friendly and easygoing when awake, Ellen spend a lot of her time in the inn, enjoying the laid-back atmosphere and the fine meals. Her reasons for wanting to explore the labyrinth is currently a mystery, with her shrugging and saying ‘Because it’s there’ whenever questioned on the matter.

Specializes in Fire Runic magic.

*~*

Van’Fem Alcosa
The Flurry of Sound and Colour
Blonde Male Dancer

Hit: Cello Music, Fine Wines
Miss: Beer

Formerly a combination of performer and bouncer at the Dancing Peacock, Van’Fem had many opportunities to listen to the many tales from explorers as they tried to find their way to the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Over time he too, grew curious about this great unsolved mystery, and decided that he too would like to venture out to see what lay at the heart of Yggdrasil.

Familiar with many of the bar’s patrons, he serves as the Guild’s source of a steady stream of information from more experienced travelers on how to deal with the myriad dangers awaiting them. Often drags Lucius along with him when going drinking, despite the latter’s protests.

*~*

Valerie Wulfenbach
Proud and Stalwart Shield
Bowlcut Female Fortress

Hit: Fine Food
Miss: Heights

“You’re taking the Skyship again? It’s fine, I’ll just walk. …no?”

A young and proud knight from a foreign land. It is said that she boasted that she would surpass her father and mother – legendary explorers said to have saved the world once – and came to Tharsis to make good on her boast. Unfortunately, her headstrong attitude and apparent unfamiliarity with how much of society functions left her bereft of a guild.

One afternoon, after helping a strange boy track down a thief that had pickpocketed his purse, she found out that he was part of a Guild, and that in fact he knew the leader. After talking to him, she has managed to find her way into a Guild.

Manah and Valerie cannot stand each other. She is indifferent to most of the other members of the Guild, but she and Lucius have formed a rapport and spend much of their free time together. She appears wholly unaware that Lucius has a crush on her.

There are rumours that Valerie is in fact royalty in the land that she comes from, and that ‘Valerie’ itself is an assumed name that she may travel incognito. Valerie herself remains tight-lipped on this matter.

*~*

Grimsley Lockheart
Reluctant Darkside
Older Male Nightseeker

Hit: Stargazing
Miss: Sunny Days

“Well, I guess with a name like mine, your options in life are limited. Heh.”

A former assassin from a kingdom that had since been invaded and destroyed, Grimsley wandered the world, using his talents with a blade to earn his keep, and to keep one step of pursuers who demanded redress for his many crimes against them.

Grimsley eventually made his way to Tharsis, seeking to blend into the crowds of adventurers who had come to challenge Yggdrasil. Eventually, he decided that the best way to hide amongst the adventurers was to become one himself and joined up with the Paragon Guild, seeking to put his past behind him. He spends a lot of his time with Youmu, sensing her own darkness and trying to guide her away from it.

He fights with two swords in battle.

*~*

Youmu Hajirou
Heart and Eye of Ice
White-Haired Sniper

Hit: Archery Practice
Miss: Sloppiness

“… Target acquired.”

An assassin hailing from the same land that Tenshi had come from, she was assigned the task of keeping tabs on the Nagae family and ensuring that they would not seek to return to their homeland. After journeying to Tharsis and spending several days there, she determined that the easiest way to keep an eye on Tenshi was to join the same Guild herself.

For obvious reasons she has kept her identity as an assassin secret from everyone, although several people such as Grimsley and Bridges appear able to tell that she’s hiding more than she lets on. For her part, Tenshi appears to not care about Youmu one way or the other.

*~*

Malcolm Bridges
Weary, Wounded Warrior
Older Male Medic

Hit: His Hand-Carved Tobacco Pipe
Miss: Poor Hygiene

“That’s right. Go on charging ahead like a loon. After all I’ll be the one to put you back together once the monsters are done with you.”

It had been nearly ten years since Bridges’ former Guild had been annihilated, with the Medic being the sole survivor of the group. Embittered and shell-shocked, he swore off adventuring and lived alone in Tharsis for several years – isolated from society at large.

One day, while out shopping for groceries, he overheard Manah and Lucius discussing their next course of action while sitting at an outdoors café. The enthusiasm and excitement the two displayed tugged at his memory, and he recalled that he had been like them once, long ago. Several days later, he submitted his application to join the Paragon Guild, swearing to himself that this time, he would not fail to protect his Guild this time around.

As a veteran explorer, he often advises Manah and Lucius on the proper course of action. Otherwise, he spends a lot of time snarking at his younger Guildmates for what he sees as reckless and foolish behaviour.

*~*

Korrvel Gransky
Frozen, Eternally Melting Heart
Older Male Runemaster

Hit: Cold Drinks
Miss: Humid Climates

“Well, I could cast my ice lance, but we’d probably die no matter what, so I don’t really see the – ow!”

A pessimistic man who believes in the will of fate, Korrvel read in the stars that he would be fated to die in an attempt to reach and climb the Yggdrasil Labyrinth. Despite having no personal interest whatsoever in exploring the place, Korrvel took the sign as divine prophecy and figured he might as well make it easy for fate by joining up with a Guild and throwing himself headfirst into the danger.

As he believes he is doomed, he makes no secret that he doesn’t believe the rest of the Guild is going to succeed either. At best, the battle in which he will die (whichever one that happens to be) will claim the lives of several of his Guildmates as well. Not surprisingly, he is not very popular with the rest of the Guild. They keep him mostly due to his incredible mastery of Ice Runic magic.

Often insists on a spot on the frontline despite it making no practical sense. He figures it’ll be easier to get himself killed that way.

*~*

Nithrul Dassa
Epitome of Mafelso’s Way
Dark-Haired Male Dancer

Hit: Dancing
Miss: Not Dancing

“Joy and Light be upon you, my friend.”

The Mafel religion is one built upon the foundation of song and music. In the beginning, their texts claim, it was the formless divine spirits who sang existence into being. To outsiders, worship sessions more resemble a dance party than any sort of formalized ritual, for they believe that the harmony of the dance and music is the closest they can reach to the eternal plane while still on the earth.

Even amongst the Lifedancers, Nithrul revealed himself as exceptionally skilled, and on the day he received his Sash of Belonging, he declared that he would venture out into world, like so many Lifedancers before him, to spread the word of their religion and reveal to them the Joy in Harmony. The crowd cheered and applauded, and now Nithrul lives as one of the Paragon Guild, hoping to show through example the Truth of Mafelso’s Way.

*~*

Fiora Thain
World's Deadliest Florist
Bandana-Wearing Female Landsknecht

Hit: Flowers, Stabbing, her handmade bandana
Miss: Sweets

"Yggdrasil's a big tree, right? That means it's gotta have BIG FLOWERS!"

The mental stability of the florist Fiora had long been called into question. Chiefly because she insists on pruning her plants with giant swords instead of shearers or clippers, but also because she made constant, loud proclamations that she wanted to go right up to Yggdrasil and harvest flowers from the great tree for use. Of course the fact that the plants she grew were chief component in creating medicinal nectars for the shops allowed most to look past these odd quirks and continue giving her their business.

Upon hearing that some newbie team had successfully made their way into the Scarlet Pillars, Fiora rushed down the the Explorer's Guild and asked to be given a place in the guild. Friendly, if somewhat bloodthirsty, Fiora lives in anticipation of reaching Yggdrasil itself and being able to discover the giant tree's harvest for her own use.

Uses Rapiers in combat.

*~*

Senna of House Rammus
Cold Light Meister
White-Haired Female Runemaster

Hit: Sweets
Miss: Hot days

"I'll be charging my spell now, so hold them for like 5 minutes, ok?"

The noble House of Rammus had long prided itself on its mastery of rune magics, and Senna, third daughter of Lord Mars, was no exception. However, not content merely with studying the workings of magic, she sought to prove her mastery of it on the field.

Her parents strongly disapproved, but her obstinate determination eventually won out, and on her eighteenth birthday she was given leave to travel the world and to challenge herself, albeit with a bodyguard chosen by her parents.

Upon reaching Tharsis and joining the Guild, she became fast friends with Fiora. That said, the two of them can never agree on their opinion of sweet things.

Fights using Lightning rune magic,

*~*

Peggy Branduin
Unmoving Wanderer
Pigtailed Female Fortress

Hit: Polished armour
Miss: Bad hair days

"Ever get your hair tangled up on a tree branch? Lemme tell you: Not pleasant."

A wandering sellsword whose claim to fame was that she had never had a client die while under their employ, Peggy was hired by the Master of House Rammus to serve as a bodyguard to Senna while she travels the world. Considering Senna hopelessly naive and soft, she nevertheless enjoys the younger girl's friendliness and chatter.

Reacted with a fair amount of dismay upon learning that they would end up traveling through forests for a large portion of their exploration. She's not a fan of tree branches, as she explained to Manah.

On her days off she can be found at the Dancing Peacock or one of the many bars in the area getting completely smashed.

*~*

Joseph 'Glasseye' Stone
The Best Shot in Tharsis
Redhead Male Sniper

Hit: Lucky Goggles
Miss: Strong Winds

"Oi, down in front! I can't get a clear shot if you're gonna charge straight in!"

A former member of the Stormrangers Guild, Glasseye had recently decided to part ways with his old comrades, citing personal issues as the reason. Apparently a woman was involved. This was a sore blow to the old guild, as it was widely acknowledged that Glasseye's skill with a bow was second to none.

Upon becoming a free agent again, Glasseye was immediately courted by several of the veteran guilds, but his interest was piqued by the Paragon Guild's steady and unassuming progress through the Labyrinth. After looking up more information about their guild leaders, he decided to throw his lot in with them.

A cheerful, if rather coarse, fellow, he insists that the basics are all there is to marksmanship and prefers sticking to the tried and true instead of trying fancy arrow techniques. And given his results, no one's complaining.

*~*

Wufan

*~*

Quickbeam
Inquisitve Fae
Bushy-haired Male Arcanist

Hit: Exploring
Miss: Stewed prunes

"Hark! I do declare that is a rather magnificent beast! ... That appears to be coming straight at us."

Quickbeam had always been unusual amongst the Vessels; others were content to live their lives patrolling the gloom of the Misty Ravine, while Quickbeam would climb up the maroon cliffs that surrounded their home, craning his neck to see beyond - ever further beyond, towards the vastness of Yggdrasil in the distance.

When word came that they had made contacts with humans, and what's more, that they were looking into taking on Vessels as guildmates, Quickbeam nearly tripped over his own feet in his haste to sign up.

Instead of the staves used by other warriors of his race, he fights with Rapiers. He specializes in Circles that inflict ailments such as poison or confusion.

*~*

Akasha
Young Lady of Violets
Blue-haired female Arcanist

Hit: Flowers
Miss: Smelly things

"The breeze... this scent... the land is... decaying?"

A member of the Vessel race, young Akasha had long been withdrawn and reticent, preferring the quiet solitude of her private garden to any socializing or public events. So skilled was she with horticulture that many reckoned she had a sixth sense that allowed her to judge how best her plants were to be treated.

And perhaps she did, for as the Vessels' village opened to outsiders however, Akasha began to notice a change in the scent of the wind and in the feel of soil. She could not shake the feeling that unless someone did something soon, the land would rot and no longer bare life.

And so, clutching her staff given to her by her parents, she decided to join a guild, and to hopefully get to the root of the mystery surrounding the dying land.

In battle, Akasha specializes in binding circles. Furthermore, her caring nature makes her a natural healer, able to patch up her party wounds almost unconsciously even as they move along.

*~*

Rip Thorn
Iron Rose
Redhead female Nightseeker

Hit: Spit-roasted meat
Miss: Heavy clothing

A human fugitive found living amongst the Sentinels, Rip (almost assuredly an assumed name) is reluctant to share any details of her past with strangers. But what can be coaxed out of her is that she is a fugitive from the Empire to the north, and that she fled south through the ravine before being found starved and half-dead by a Sentinel patrol.

Upon meeting with the Paragon guild, Rip decided to join up with them, deciding that she had nothing to lose in any case. Armed with a bitter, acerbic tongue, she has few friends amongst the Guild - save Bridges, who sees her as mostly being lonely, and Shiro, who simply takes her jabs in stride. Her skills as a tracker and knowledge of Imperial territory is enough to keep her hired, albeit reluctantly.

Originally learned the ways of a Bushi, but upon the Empire's citizens being integrated into Tharsis, she has started to wield a Drive Blade once more as her weapon of choice.

*~*

Quick, puzzling question. Why does it take 14 days for the regular FOEs to respawn in the second maze? Shouldn't it be seven?

I wonder if some foes respawn in 7.

Totakeke

eh, fortress + dancer has worked for me. I cranked up his passive defense skill and taunt. In tough encounters I have him taunt and defend from the back row and the damage he takes is so minimal that I barely need to heal. If a battle goes poorly for me, it's because the monsters ignored the fortress or used attacks that target my other characters, not because my healing couldn't keep pace with damage being done to the fortress.

Sure, you can mitigate the downsides of having a dancer-only healing like moving your tank to the back, but if you go for a full-time tank like I did with taunt/cover/status protect and no offensive skills (which loosens up your other party members to go full offensive), my medic often can't keep up with the damage being done to him in 2nd strata. If anyone dies it's pretty much him that goes down first. My other classes were basically glass cannons. Nightseeker doing 700/turn to the 2nd strata boss while my fortress was dead was fun if not short lived.

scy

I'd just like to say that I really wish I had scy's super power of looking at video game numbers and knowing what the fuck to do

Haha, I enjoy the numbers :x

Sure, you can mitigate the downsides of having a dancer-only healing like moving your tank to the back, but if you go for a full-time tank like I did with taunt/cover/status protect and no offensive skills (which loosens up your other party members to go full offensive), my medic often can't keep up with the damage being done to him in 2nd strata. If anyone dies it's pretty much him that goes down first. My other classes were basically glass cannons. Nightseeker doing 700/turn to the 2nd strata boss while my fortress was dead was fun if not short lived.

I did the same with my Fortress and she has no trouble shrugging off all damage. Taunt / Rampart and Defending gives her enough mitigation + passive healing to not care from turn-to-turn and Line/Party Guard isn't necessary to be spammed every turn anyway. The 2nd Stratum Boss took her to around half health at worst.

...then again, I was pretty overleveled.

Totakeke

I did the same with my Fortress and she has no trouble shrugging off all damage. Taunt / Rampart and Defending gives her enough mitigation + passive healing to not care from turn-to-turn and Line/Party Guard isn't necessary to be spammed every turn anyway. The 2nd Stratum Boss took her to around half health at worst.

...then again, I was pretty overleveled.

My party was around Lvl22-24. I didn't have enough points to go full rampart and status defense was more important for me (since I don't use a dancer). My back line can maybe take a hit and that's when I use line guard, otherwise I'm always on ally guard whenever I don't have buffs to put up.

Even the random mobs could really pile on the tank. Taunt -> Lightning Attack + Bite + Another attack -> Tank down to 50-60% health.

Delmontee

Neo Member
Ok I have literately GOT to stop coming into this thread. I cant take it any more haha. Cant wait for the EU release, in the mean time I am going to work on E03. I think I am nearly at the end.

scy

My party was around Lvl22-24. I didn't have enough points to go full rampart and status defense was more important for me (since I don't use a dancer). My back line can maybe take a hit and that's when I use line guard, otherwise I'm always on ally guard whenever I don't have buffs to put up.

I only have 1 point in Rampart as well (79% Damage Taken; 70% at max). I maxed out Heal Wall since I wanted the free healing option, though that was also pretty much unnecessary.

But ... I had about 10 levels on you. I'm not even sitting around farming and grinding ;_; I really need to stop using Holy Gift, I guess.

OceanBlue

I might respec my dancer to more buff/chasing skills and leave healing only to my medic once I get farther in the game. The chase skills seem really fun.

Totakeke

I only have 1 point in Rampart as well (79% Damage Taken; 70% at max). I maxed out Heal Wall since I wanted the free healing option, though that was also pretty much unnecessary.

But ... I had about 10 levels on you. I'm not even sitting around farming and grinding ;_; I really need to stop using Holy Gift, I guess.

If I had your levels I'd rush through the main game to unlock subclassing first. :p

scy

If I had your levels I'd rush through the main game to unlock subclassing first. :p

I'm going to do that and then Retire my characters down and grind them to a more "appropriate" level.

And then outlevel everything again since I'll still abuse Holy Gift and +EXP Food

scy

Are there any FOEs you can't kill?

In the 2nd Stratum? Nope, can kill them all. Most of them aren't that bad though and I did them before they went blue. Omnihunter was the big "priority" one since I figured they'd have a sweet drop (and they do, 89 Damage Sword with 2x Stun Forges >>) and it ended up being fairly trivial with Taunt and Blind.

I must've overleveled in the first Stratum by doing all the QR Quests and killing those Cutters every respawn since, hey, free EXP. And then it just kept going with all the little things I did to get more and more EXP (+ lucky sets of spawns like the multiple shiny Big Moths ;_;).

ohlawd

I haven't finished the 2nd Stratum yet, my average party level is 30 and I don't even use that exp+ burst. I'm steamrolling most of the enemies too. I guess I'm lucky with seeing a lot of shiny FOEs.

My skills are all over the place though so good time to rest I guess :D

So anyone know how subclasses work ?

I unlocked subclasses last night. After you add a subclass to someone, you'll get 5 extra skill points to spend.

Once you assign a subclass to someone you can't change it unless you "Rest" or "Retire" the character.

I have my Landsknect subclassing as a Fortress. He has access to most of the Fortress' skills (except for proficency and mineralogy).

Also, all of the subclassing skills are halved. For example, a regular Fortress has the skill Power Boost which can go up to 8/8. If you choose Fortress as your subclass, then Power Boost can only go to 4/4.

btw, we are up to 59/81 treasure maps found:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SmdTNjlUbHA1VkpRTElZZ1JZUFE&usp=sharing#gid=0

Anyone have any tips for those big moths in the second stratum? I was pretty much steamrolling everything in the area but then this thing wanders in and does this slash attack that killed 2 of my guys in 1 attack.

Althane

"Yeah, my team is strong! I was farming the Cutters in the demo!"

*Walk into second cave*

*meet mama FOE*

OH DEER GOD!

Edit: My Nightseeker seems to be having trouble landing his blinds once I got into the second floor and dungeon. Should I get a TEC ring or something to boost chances?

lingiii

Banned
OH DEER GOD!

/slowclap

Oh baby just got all my bros to 22 and rested them. Incredible how even though they're two levels lower now, they're WAY BETTER. Just great they have that there to help you correct mistakes. I had a whole bunch of abilities with one point sitting in them because I just wanted to try it out.

plus! if you're level 20, you can pick tier two abilities without spending 20 points in tier one first (as along as you have the pre-reqs). super useful.

/slowclap

Oh baby just got all my bros to 22 and rested them. Incredible how even though they're two levels lower now, they're WAY BETTER. Just great they have that there to help you correct mistakes. I had a whole bunch of abilities with one point sitting in them because I just wanted to try it out.

plus! if you're level 20, you can pick tier two abilities without spending 20 points in tier one first (as along as you have the pre-reqs). super useful.

So wait... let me get this straight. Resting a character lowers them two experience levels, but refunds ALL skill points? If so, holy crap, that's excellent.

scy

So wait... let me get this straight. Resting a character lowers them two experience levels, but refunds ALL skill points? If so, holy crap, that's excellent.

Well, all but two. You lose them due to -2 Levels.

But, yeah, it's only a 2 level penalty instead of 5 (which used to be 10).

Top Bottom