• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

ys45

Don't worry about leveling characters right now. At 3 different points in the game you get the chance to level any character to the average level of a party at that point (though you can only do that twice per event) so if you want to try something different, just wait a bit longer.

If you want to know when this happens:

Average Level:
, When:
After the 2nd Maze is complete
Average Level:
, When:
After the 3rd Maze is complete
Average Level:
, When:
After the 4th Maze is complete

Oh that's good to know thanks

Ephidel

Looking at it via mobile app (which I can't fetch the image), I see a combat gong and a "wrestling birds" quest posted yesterday. And apparently Amazon had two Tuesday or something?

I threw these onto imgur, hopefully they're the ones you were looking for.

Amazon's item page has two:

Windy Finest Planes (http://i.imgur.com/WV1YY3a.jpg)
WV1YY3a.jpg

Scarlet Finest Planes (http://i.imgur.com/WdeCHi9.jpg)
WdeCHi9.jpg

And the Facebook ones were:

Combat Gong (16 hours ago) (http://i.imgur.com/nyoVUYH.jpg)
nyoVUYH.jpg

Wrestling Birds (19 hours ago) (http://i.imgur.com/nIMTYk9.jpg)
nIMTYk9.jpg

Ephidel

I assume so as the Amazon description says "this set of 2 QR codes will unlock special side quests", but my copy of the game hasn't actually arrived yet so I can't check myself.

scy

Since it was asked earlier, it would seem that the whole "Feed FoE their Favorite food to make them shiny!" isn't quite right. It's more that there's one Food of each type that turns FoEs Shiny. So:

Bird - Golden Goose (1st Land)
Plant - Gold Stinkhorn (2nd Land)
Beast - Happiness Hare (3rd Land)
Fish - Dragon Carp (4th Land)

If an FoE is attracted to, say, Birds, you can feed them a Golden Goose to turn them Shiny. Any other Rare Bird won't work. Now, I have not tried every single possible combination so there may be more to it. So far, this seems to be the case.

My Sniper became awesome fairly early in the game when he got a bow with massive arm-bind on it.

Just to note, Status Effect weapons do not apply to Skills. These Forges would've only been working with your regular attacks.

Now I'm having trouble with this quest. How did you solve it?

edit: Nvm Gamefaqs to the rescue lol.

Just for others that are curious about the Water Mark Quest:
There's more than the four points they mention (well, they tell you two + the two you know going into the quest). There's around 7. You basically just follow the path and make sure to check the edges before going forward to the end spot. The mark itself is then at A4 (5,1)

I'd maxed out the poison and arm binding circles, but they wouldn't hit for turns on end. And when they did land, they'd wear off quickly even with the black mist burst. So my Nightseeker wasn't able to do enough damage and I didn't have arm binds to disable his special moves. Perhaps my level 32-33 team was too low to take him, but the purple aura on the map implied otherwise.

"Purple" Aura has no bearing on intended difficulty. I believe it's a ~35 Encounter so you're around the correct level. I did it at 31 with LND/FA (granted, they had retired down from 40) and had no trouble landing Blind and Arm Bind and then finishing the fight off before things got too dangerous.

Really, the big difficulty of the fight is the midway point when the Healing Rollers spawn. If you're prepared for them (I swapped to Poison Circle for that and used my Bursts) then you should only have to deal with his solo damage output and that's not quite as bad.

Edit: And I want to say his Damage is primarily Bash based so you can always just plan around that if necessary.

A little while ago I found a dagger with death x2 slotted in, gave it to my Medic, and mother of god.

I'm going about my business, setting up buffs to link chase a FOE, and all of a sudden he just dies.

Thanks a lot I guess, but I just wasted all that buff TP!

That happened twice on the same type of FOE. Death slots are pretty dang nice.

Oh yeah, scy, what's up with the fairy quest in stratum 4?

I discovered that this flower didn't really have fairies, it was actually just pollen, so I took it to "disprove the existence of fairies" just for the heck of it, then went to the forge in town and the girl said something I forget and gave me a milk bottle, and I couldn't figure out what to do with it, and I turned in the quest and got a reward and she said something about "do I really have to grow up" and left it at that and now I have a random milk bottle in my key items.

Anteo

A little while ago I found a dagger with death x2 slotted in, gave it to my Medic, and mother of god.

I'm going about my business, setting up buffs to link chase a FOE, and all of a sudden he just dies.

Thanks a lot I guess, but I just wasted all that buff TP!

That happened twice on the same type of FOE. Death slots are pretty dang nice.

Instadeath is surprisingly good in this game, for both the enemy and you. My NS lands instadeath a lot, both with the burst and with his own skill.

Oh yeah, scy, what's up with the fairy quest in stratum 4?

I discovered that this flower didn't really have fairies, it was actually just pollen, so I took it to "disprove the existence of fairies" just for the heck of it, then went to the forge in town and the girl said something I forget and gave me a milk bottle, and I couldn't figure out what to do with it, and I turned in the quest and got a reward and she said something about "do I really have to grow up" and left it at that and now I have a random milk bottle in my key items.

Same here, I guess I should have talked to her earlier, before going for the quest. The lady at the bar said that putting milk near a flowerbed is a way to attract faries. Of course she said that after I got the flower =(

scy

I think the reward is still 5000 EXP/person and a Mirage Rod so it's really just not crushing the hopes and dreams of a little girl by doing it properly.

A shame I didn't do it the proper way either so I don't know exactly how it differs! ;__;

I think the reward is still 5000 EXP/person and a Mirage Rod so it's really just not crushing the hopes and dreams of a little girl by doing it properly.

A shame I didn't do it the proper way either so I don't know exactly how it differs! ;__;

Actually I looked up the Japanese wiki with Google Translate and it appears that you also get a reward called the Crown Hat, but it looks like you can craft it as well.

Also there is some headgear that Google translates as "Face of Evil Muslims."

tuffy

"Purple" Aura has no bearing on intended difficulty. I believe it's a ~35 Encounter so you're around the correct level. I did it at 31 with LND/FA (granted, they had retired down from 40) and had no trouble landing Blind and Arm Bind and then finishing the fight off before things got too dangerous.

Really, the big difficulty of the fight is the midway point when the Healing Rollers spawn. If you're prepared for them (I swapped to Poison Circle for that and used my Bursts) then you should only have to deal with his solo damage output and that's not quite as bad.

Edit: And I want to say his Damage is primarily Bash based so you can always just plan around that if necessary.
Maybe the RNG wasn't on my side. I had no trouble landing poison on the rollers which did enough damage to kill them in a couple of rounds, but the boss kept avoiding it. This hobbled the Nightseeker since she didn't have any status effect generators of her own. Since poison hits so well against random encounters, I got a bit complacent. And without a Dancer on my team, my damage output isn't sufficient without those status effects.

Perhaps swapping in a Dancer for Runemaster and reallocating my Nightseeker would be sufficient, but I have a feeling more reliable binds will be a must before tackling the 3rd maze boss.

scy

Actually I looked up the Japanese wiki with Google Translate and it appears that you also get a reward called the Crown Hat, but it looks like you can craft it as well.

Also there is some headgear that Google translates as "Face of Evil Muslims."

:lol

Well, I'll keep it in mind to do it properly on a repeat playthrough.

Maybe the RNG wasn't on my side. I had no trouble landing poison on the rollers which did enough damage to kill them in a couple of rounds, but the boss kept avoiding it. This hobbled the Nightseeker since she didn't have any status effect generators of her own. Since poison hits so well against random encounters, I got a bit complacent. And without a Dancer on my team, my damage output isn't sufficient without those status effects.

Which Nightseeker attack are you using? Shadow Bite has limited times where it's better than their multi-hit skill (basically just Sleep). If you need to generate more attacks for your Landsknecht, you might as well go that route. It's also better base damage for when you don't have a Status Effect in play anyway.

Edit: ...that's a Level 40 skill, isn't it. Ugh.

And my Nightseeker was primarily Status effects (since N/A was my plan for him) so that probably helped. The bonus LUC+TEC from retiring (and going out of my way for food for the fight) helped a bit as well.

Honestly, I don't remember much about the fight ;_; Sorry :(

Perhaps swapping in a Dancer for Runemaster and reallocating my Nightseeker would be sufficient, but I have a feeling more reliable binds will be a must before tackling the 3rd maze boss.

There's multiple ways to deal with that boss. He's not particularly resistant to Blind, if I recall, and you can just gear (+ Food!) to get around the Elemental damage portions of the fight rather than doing a Head bind.

Mugaaz

What do yo guys recommend for my 5th?

I'm in 4th area now, and really love my party except for 5th slot which i can't decide on
Fortress/Dancer (with chase/rush to trigger links)
Land/Runemaster (focused on links)
Arcanist/Medic (Poison zone + heals)
Ranger/Nightseeker (with max binds, nightseeker double attack, and multishot to us eafter binding legs)
??? I'm thinking either Runemaster/Imperial or Imperial/X, not sure which yet.

Ephidel

tuffy

Which Nightseeker attack are you using? Shadow Bite has limited times where it's better than their multi-hit skill (basically just Sleep). If you need to generate more attacks for your Landsknecht, you might as well go that route. It's also better base damage for when you don't have a Status Effect in play anyway.

And my Nightseeker was primarily Status effects (since N/A was my plan for him) so that probably helped. The bonus LUC+TEC from retiring (and going out of my way for food for the fight) helped a bit as well.
That might be my problem. I'd gone down the Assassination/Shadow Bite path. My glorious dream is that the Arcanist would land status effects and my Nightseeker would follow up with skills for massive damage (at the expense of Landsmackt link attacks), but that seems to be sub-optimal. So now I have all day to think of an alternative before getting back to the game to try something else.

scy

What do yo guys recommend for my 5th?

I'm in 4th area now, and really love my party except for 5th slot which i can't decide on
Fortress/Dancer (with chase/rush to trigger links)
Land/Runemaster (focused on links)
Arcanist/Medic (Poison zone + heals)
Ranger/Nightseeker (with max binds, nightseeker double attack, and multishot to us eafter binding legs)
??? I'm thinking either Runemaster/Imperial or Imperial/X, not sure which yet.

Imperial/Runemaster or Imperial/Bushi would be my choice and stick them in the front row. It gives you a less setup oriented character so you have someone doing massive damage while you're setting up Links and then they're on cooldown while your Links are setup.

Plus, better portraits anyway! :x

That might be my problem. I'd gone down the Assassination/Shadow Bite path. My glorious dream is that the Arcanist would land status effects and my Nightseeker would follow up with skills for massive damage (at the expense of Landsmackt link attacks), but that seems to be sub-optimal. So now I have all day to think of an alternative before getting back to the game to try something else.

Well, Swift Edge is in that line too, I just forgot it's a Level 40 skill so it doesn't really help you right now ;_;. I had the same setup plan originally with Nightseeker + Arcanist but I figured that Blind is Nightseeker unique and they have the better Poison so I wanted to get those up. On top of that, I wanted to reliably use Status Mastery's +100% Damage Dealt multiplier so my Nightseeker was a better choice for inflicting Status Effects which made me go Nightseeker/Arcanist for him over, say, Nightseeker/Bushi or something.

Plus, Auto Spread is seriously good for random encounters, especially with /Arcanist giving me a TP Restore on Status Effects. That plus what seems like every enemy in the game having at least one status effect they barely resist (~75% instead of something like 10-25%) really helps them a lot.

This let me just go crazy with Binds for my Arcanist as her go-to Circle of choice. I maxed Poison just for a reliable mid-fight all-target though, if I had to redo it all, I'd probably just go Bind Circles + Dismiss Blast to cover that need. It's something I have planned for my final party setup, anyway.

Mugaaz

Imperial seems worse for my party than RM the more thought I give it. I can trigger links with lightning better, the elemental debuff will do more damage due to links than anything from Imperial, and its a beter defensive buff than anything Imperial offers either.

Volcynika

Np :)

I think the coding in your OP has merged two of the QR quests together - the 'find my eldest son' quest seems to be inside the link of 'my missing fiance'

I also believe a couple of the QR codes from Atlus' Etrian blog post on tuesday are missing. They're listed there as:
To catch a fly quest (http://i.imgur.com/rypFlpj.jpg)
Instant Curry (http://i.imgur.com/is0PlEc.jpg)
(I'm assuming the second one is an item)

Ok, about to go to lunch but will fix those this evening.

scy

Imperial seems worse for my party than RM the more thought I give it. I can trigger links with lightning better, the elemental debuff will do more damage due to links than anything from Imperial, and its a beter defensive buff than anything Imperial offers either.

Well, my suggestion would actually be to make the Arcanist/Medic an Arcanist/Runemaster to cover the Elemental Runes in addition to the Imperial for the fifth slot. But, Runemaster/Imperial is fine as well.

Mugaaz

Well, my suggestion would actually be to make the Arcanist/Medic an Arcanist/Runemaster to cover the Elemental Runes in addition to the Imperial for the fifth slot. But, Runemaster/Imperial is fine as well.

Whats the point of two arcanists? You cant have multiple zones active. I would definitely use two if you could.

Sleepy

I cannot keep up with these codes...when I finally get the game today I have around 25 codes to scan. Awesome that they do this, though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
holy shit black dragon is easier? lol I only tried once but let's see he binded all my guys and he has enough power to 2HKO my party... yeah.
Well they probably do comparable damage and have comparable HP so it might just be a case that my party design counters one far more than the other.

Whats the point of two arcanists? You cant have multiple zones active. I would definitely use two if you could.

I have two Arcanist subs, one's on my Sniper strictly for bind effect increase and TP return when binds apply. And also the line elemental guard.

scy

Whos healing then?

The Arcanist still. Their passive Healing via Circles is fairly good for the occasional damage taken and you can rely on Dismisses as needed for burst Healing. Items are always an option as well. A lot of fight planning can be done to flat out deny the need for a dedicated Medic healer.

If you'd rather keep the Arcanist/Medic, then yes, I'd probably do Runemaster/Imperial. Arcanist/Runemaster + Imperial/X is just squeezing out a bit more efficiency from your character slots.

scy

Well, there's still the chance of death since 30% Revives aren't guaranteed, even at 4 chances (~76% chance for at least one to succeed). Multi-target skills that kill multiples at once would also really screw with things.

slayn

Not having a dedicated healer made the final post game boss much rougher than it would have been otherwise. But except for that one boss I had no problems taking on everything else with no medic and no fortress. Not even in subclasses.

Hey, has anybody played through Unchained Blades on 3DS? Just wondering if I should get it, or wait and get it on a PSP later.

It's pretty fun. I didn't finish it but it's enjoyable. The 3D effect is not very good at all and it doesn't take advantage of the 3DS's increase in power over PSP at all. Map on the bottom screen is nice. And the price is right.

scy

Is FOE just a fancy way to say monster? OR is there something special in this game I'm missing?

In the JP version, it just meant "Field on Enemy" and for the US versions it's just a latin phrase. So, basically, just a fancy term for them.

Ferrio

Banned
One more question, all this grasshopper legs and stuff I'm snagging... is it used in forging? Or just for selling and unlocking shop items?

scy

Both, actually. Forging requires the components used to purchase the item in the first place. You still just sell them all, though, rather than hoarding them in your inventory.

Anteo

Yeah the store keeps track of everything you have sold so far, and it treats that as their "inventory" for items and upgrades, so if you need, let's say, grasshopper legs to forge something, you sell that to the store and then go to forge.

That also means that the "inventory" of the store is shared by all the items, if you sell a grasshopper leg and that unlocks 3 different items, you will only be able to buy one of them until you sell more legs.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah the store keeps track of everything you have sold so far, and it treats that as their "inventory" for items and upgrades, so if you need, let's say, grasshopper legs to forge something, you sell that to the store and then go to forge.

That also means that the "inventory" of the store is shared by all the items, if you sell a grasshopper leg and that unlocks 3 different items, you will only be able to buy one of them until you sell more legs.

Oh gotcha, so hoarding materials is no-no?

Anteo

Oh gotcha, so hoarding materials is no-no?

Exactly. Sell everything unless you know there is a quest that ask you for a specific item. Even then, there has not been a time where I have regreted selling something, because items are easy to come by and the extra exp you get for going hunting again helps.

Edit: If for any reason, you come frome the dugeon with quest items and go to the store, the game reminds you that you should go to the bar first (but it won't stop you from selling the items anyways)

One more thing, when you select a item in the store, at the right side of the main screen, you see some information of what the store needs to build the item. Some equips need more than one item, and sometimes more of the same item. There is also a small rectangle above that, that tells you how many of that equip/item the store can sell you and how many you have (For example, Stored: 8 Have: 0)

tuffy

Exactly. Sell everything unless you know there is a quest that ask you for a specific item. Even then, there has not been a time where I have regreted selling something, because items are easy to come by and the extra exp you get for going hunting again helps.

The game will even warn you not to sell a quest item in your inventory when you arrive back in town, since unloading everything at the store right away is pretty much what you're expected to do.

scy

The game will even warn you not to sell a quest item in your inventory when you arrive back in town, since unloading everything at the store right away is pretty much what you're expected to do.

One of the greatest changes ever.

"By the way, Jimbo needs that twig so don't go and fucking sell it, alright?"

Proceed to sell it anyway

Anteo

Ha, caught me while editing. But yes that was a welcome change. Now if the game remind me to get that Thread before going to the maze... Because I have forgotten way too many times. But then again, this would not be EO if you didn't get lost with no thread and low hp/tp.

slayn

With every EO game I've played I just started carrying more and more threads. In EO1 I carried 1 (why would I ever need more than 1?) and regret it.
Then in 2 I was all, "I'm going to be smart and carry a backup." And then I would forget and regret it.
Then in 3 I was tired of my own forgetfulness and carried 3 or 4.
In this one I said fuck it and carried like 8.

When EO5 arrives my inventory will be nothing but threads.

ohlawd

that's a lot of threads.

I just made a habit of carrying two threads, and one each of the two warp items. But I do keep forgetting to buy Nectars >_<

Top Bottom