• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Soulhouf

So good to see people jump on some great RPGs that graduate them up lately. This is how the genre makes its comeback!

Exactly.

I was always Nintendo gamer till the PS2, I pretty much never played any PSX game aside of like 5-10. :p

No problem. It's nice to see people appreciate RPGs with challenging gameplay.
I always say that I prefer that because it's always more interesting to think and elaborate strategies than press attack button to win.

KarmaCow

Finally "finished" the game. Not going to level to 99 because that's mindless and will take too long. I was hoping to get all the guild card achievements but I'm missing some chests and as far as I can tell, it's a chest I marked off on my map that I picked up but died before saving so the only way to make sure I have all chest marked off is to check every chest again. So unless there is a complete set of maps for the mini-caves and it shows that I've missed a chest, I think I'm done with EOIV for now. I might try to beat the final final boss without injections later but I'm going back to Soul Hackers now.

Overall, EOIV was kinda disappointing, in so far as a game that I devoted 80+ hours into could be disappointing. The UI/UX changes/additions were pretty much universally great, having the codex in battle and the general amount easily surfaced information is appreciated. The only thing I can think of the moment that seemed to be missing is a way to see character status without going into a separate screen.

Everything else seemed like a step down though. Splitting the giant dungeon across lands just made the mazes feel small. The floors themselves felt simpler and the main mazes only having 3 floors makes it even worse. Harvest food on the overworld was a neat way to get around the "problem" of farming teams harvest nodes for money/resources though. The game felt easier as well and the classes seemed tamer but that might be hazy memories about specifics about previous games clouding my judgment. I did run into a few roadblocks but when I did beat those bosses, it was usually weirdly one sided on my favour.

I'm definitely in for EOV or whatever, but I hope they go back one giant maze and even cut back on the explicit story bits. Having to skip through that dialog before the Golem fight every time was annoying.

yami4ct

Man, Maze 2 has been sort of kicking my ass. I've finally fought my way to the boss and unlocked all the shortcuts on the way there, but I need some work before I can actually take her out.

My major question right now, does anyone have some general character builds I can look at? I've not been all that careful in how I built my characters and I really feel that's cutting their effectiveness down. The problem is, even if I rebuild, I'm not really sure where I should be going toward.

53 hours later, and I've finally completed the game.

This was my first dungeon crawler, and man did I enjoy it. With finals and it being my last year of college and everything, I could only play it a few hours a week, but I loved all of them.

I had to play on casual though. Normal mode seemed to require too much grinding (Or maybe I just suck, that's entirely possible).

And man oh man that music! My favorite song is probably the
Scarlet Pillar Overworld Theme.
I could listen to that for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkBlBtIEjs

Soulhouf

Man, Maze 2 has been sort of kicking my ass. I've finally fought my way to the boss and unlocked all the shortcuts on the way there, but I need some work before I can actually take her out.

My major question right now, does anyone have some general character builds I can look at? I've not been all that careful in how I built my characters and I really feel that's cutting their effectiveness down. The problem is, even if I rebuild, I'm not really sure where I should be going toward.

Which classes are you using?
Regarding that fight, Wufan's binds are the key to victory.

Anteo

53 hours later, and I've finally completed the game.

This was my first dungeon crawler, and man did I enjoy it. With finals and it being my last year of college and everything, I could only play it a few hours a week, but I loved all of them.

I had to play on casual though. Normal mode seemed to require too much grinding (Or maybe I just suck, that's entirely possible).

And man oh man that music! My favorite song is probably the
Scarlet Pillar Overworld Theme.
I could listen to that for hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkBlBtIEjs

Nah, in my exerience not much grinding was necesary in normal. The first few levels are rough though. And you need to plan your builds ahead a litle bit.

yami4ct

Which classes are you using?
Regarding that fight, Wufan's binds are the key to victory.

I've got a Dancer, Sniper, Fortress, Nightseeker and Runemaster. I feel pretty confident with my Fortress's build. Everyone else, Dancer in particular, I feel like I could do way better on.

EDIT:

Woooo! I beat the Hollow Queen. A tough fight, but I got lucky and was able to keep her locked up with binds. Also, it unlocked the Archanists. I love how Wufan meshed with my party, so I really think I want one in my party. Not sure who to replace, though. Any suggestions? Perhaps an Archanist would be better as a subclass when I unlock those. I mostly feel I want them for how well they play off my Nightseeker.

I finally finished Fire Emblem so now I'm starting EOIV. I'm playing on normal and just finished the tutorial dungeon.

One quick question regarding the map system. Do the map icons you can place have any specific meaning or is it just whatever you want them to be?

For instance, there's no icon that looks like a chest. Also, I'd like to log where I found an HP replenishing spring but I'm not sure if one of the icons represent that already.

Anteo

I finally finished Fire Emblem so now I'm starting EOIV. I'm playing on normal and just finished the tutorial dungeon.

One quick question regarding the map system. Do the map icons you can place have any specific meaning or is it just whatever you want them to be?

For instance, there's no icon that looks like a chest. Also, I'd like to log where I found an HP replenishing spring but I'm not sure if one of the icons represent that already.

Whatever you want them to be. However there are some that are used the same by many, like the Hand (Take spot), scissors (Chop spot) and Pikeaxe (Minespot)

Soulhouf

I've got a Dancer, Sniper, Fortress, Nightseeker and Runemaster. I feel pretty confident with my Fortress's build. Everyone else, Dancer in particular, I feel like I could do way better on.

EDIT:

Woooo! I beat the Hollow Queen. A tough fight, but I got lucky and was able to keep her locked up with binds. Also, it unlocked the Archanists. I love how Wufan meshed with my party, so I really think I want one in my party. Not sure who to replace, though. Any suggestions? Perhaps an Archanist would be better as a subclass when I unlock those. I mostly feel I want them for how well they play off my Nightseeker.

Remove the Sniper and replace it with an Archanist who you'll sub class as a medic later and you'll have an excellent healer in addition to status effects/bind master.

InertiaXr

I just got a 3ds and am borrowing this game from a friend without any real previous knowledge...I basically only made my group/guild so far and I have a Fortress and Dancer up front, with a Runemaster, Sniper, and Medic back line. Will that work ok? Seems to cover all the basic RPG class types you need...

Anteo

I just got a 3ds and am borrowing this game from a friend without any real previous knowledge...I basically only made my group/guild so far and I have a Fortress and Dancer up front, with a Runemaster, Sniper, and Medic back line. Will that work ok? Seems to cover all the basic RPG class types you need...

The game is designed so you always are missing something from a setup. With that setup you have a lot of options, except one real physical heavy hitter. But is a great setup, the front row gets targeted pretty often, compared to the backrow, so your dancer will take a lot of hits unless you invest on Taunt for the fortress. Dancers are not tanky at all.

vareon

I'd remove the Sniper and put Fortress if I were you. Fortress is a good class for newcomers, they are pretty straightforward to use especially when you realize monsters can hit really hard. Other than that, with those classes you have a pretty good all around party that is flexible enough in many situations.

InertiaXr

The game is designed so you always are missing something from a setup. With that setup you have a lot of options, except one real physical heavy hitter. But is a great setup, the front row gets targeted pretty often, compared to the backrow, so your dancer will take a lot of hits unless you invest on Taunt for the fortress. Dancers are not tanky at all.

Yeah I already put my first 3 skill points in and got Taunt and some 'defense up on the line' skill for my Fortress already. I figured Sniper and Dancer would be able to do quite a bit of physical damage together, instead of using a Landsknecht?

I'd remove the Sniper and put Fortress if I were you. Fortress is a good class for newcomers, they are pretty straightforward to use especially when you realize monsters can hit really hard. Other than that, with those classes you have a pretty good all around party that is flexible enough in many situations.

What do you mean? Have 2 Fortresses, with 1 in the backrow?

Anteo

Yeah I already put my first 3 skill points in and got Taunt and some 'defense up on the line' skill for my Fortress already. I figured Sniper and Dancer would be able to do quite a bit of physical damage together, instead of using a Landsknecht?

Well yeah, they will do enough damage, I don't think it will be big nunbers, but enough to go through the game. My setup for example was lacking of Binds, which made some fights hard. But I had status effects (in this series status effects are actually worth, insteadeath is suprisingly effective for you and the enemy) and after a point of the game, amazing damage per turn. I had okayish magical damage and great defensive/recovery options and ways to control the enemy damage output.

vareon

What do you mean? Have 2 Fortresses, with 1 in the backrow?

My bad! I didn't see a fortress lol. I need sleep now.

Just finished land 2's boss, a question:
Wufan seemed pretty good. Are there any drawbacks of using her?

Ferrio

Banned
My bad! I didn't see a fortress lol. I need sleep now.

Just finished land 2's boss, a question:
Wufan seemed pretty good. Are there any drawbacks of using her?

Not really, only things I could think of

-Not using your own created character.
-Her art is unique, so if you retire her you won't be able to create another character that looks like her.

So ya, no drawbacks really.

InertiaXr

So how hard is this game suppose to be? I'm playing on normal and halfway through the 1st level of the first real labyrinth (Lush Woodlands IIRC) I suddenly am faced with a single baboon (not a FoE one) that 1 shots my dancer before I even use Taunt or 'defense up on everybody' skills from my Fortress. Am I just suppose to grind the first half of the first level of the first labyrinth for a while before progressing??

vareon

So how hard is this game suppose to be? I'm playing on normal and halfway through the 1st level of the first real labyrinth (Lush Woodlands IIRC) I suddenly am faced with a single baboon (not a FoE one) that 1 shots my dancer before I even use Taunt or 'defense up on everybody' skills from my Fortress. Am I just suppose to grind the first half of the first level of the first labyrinth for a while before progressing??

In each dungeon there's that kind of enemy which is not FOE but stronger than the usual enemies you encounter in the same area. Either be very prepared, run, or learn from the townspeople to see if you can avoid encountering one (some monsters may only appear at night, for example).

yami4ct

Stratum 3 really made me step back and reconsider how I was playing the game. Turns out, I had learned a crap ton of bad habits in the first 2. I needed to rest my Runemaster, Dancer and Fortress and reallocate to make the most use of those classes.

To give you a taste of some of the insanity I was playing with, I was using a Dancer as a healer first and not an emergency heal. I'm not sure how I started doing that, but it was really hampering my party. I was about to give up on using a Dancer altogether until I restarted her. Now I run a Dancer/Nightseeker with a focus on buffing and Trick Samba and she's really killer. Really good for fast and consistent damage while supporting my Nightseeker and Fortress front row. After I reworked my party, the Boiling Lizard gave me zero trouble and the stuff I've gone through with Stratum 4 has only been reasonably challenging.

So right now, my party is this.

Front Row:Dancer/Nightseeker, Fortress/Dancer, Nightseeker
Back Row:Runemaster, Archanist/Medic

It's working well so far. As you can see, though, I don't have my Runemaster and Nightseeker subclassed yet. My plan was to give them both an Imperial subclass once I get access to that. Good idea? If so, anyone got any builds I should be using. I know that the Runemaster/Imperial mix is for the elemental boost, but how should I play the Nightseeker?

Soulhouf

Bushi is always good as a sub class given the free TP regen it offers and how the character can survive a KO once per battle. Not to mention the damage bonus.

Ferrio

Banned
Stratum 3 really made me step back and reconsider how I was playing the game. Turns out, I had learned a crap ton of bad habits in the first 2. I needed to rest my Runemaster, Dancer and Fortress and reallocate to make the most use of those classes.

To give you a taste of some of the insanity I was playing with, I was using a Dancer as a healer first and not an emergency heal. I'm not sure how I started doing that, but it was really hampering my party. I was about to give up on using a Dancer altogether until I restarted her. Now I run a Dancer/Nightseeker with a focus on buffing and Trick Samba and she's really killer. Really good for fast and consistent damage while supporting my Nightseeker and Fortress front row. After I reworked my party, the Boiling Lizard gave me zero trouble and the stuff I've gone through with Stratum 4 has only been reasonably challenging.

So right now, my party is this.

Front Row:Dancer/Nightseeker, Fortress/Dancer, Nightseeker
Back Row:Runemaster, Archanist/Medic

It's working well so far. As you can see, though, I don't have my Runemaster and Nightseeker subclassed yet. My plan was to give them both an Imperial subclass once I get access to that. Good idea? If so, anyone got any builds I should be using. I know that the Runemaster/Imperial mix is for the elemental boost, but how should I play the Nightseeker?

Nightseeker/Arcanist works well too. Just pick up the arcanist passives (ailment boost etc) and ignore anything that involves circles.

My runemaster had medic subclass, for the TP boost and the emergency revive.

vareon

I'm stumped with what to do with my Medic. She's indispensible as an emergency healer, but not much more than that. She lacks any offensive capabilities (because I was reserving her TP) and also lack buffs/debuffs since I don't have any subclass options yet. Any suggestions?

Ferrio

Banned
I'm stumped with what to do with my Medic. She's indispensible as an emergency healer, but not much more than that. She lacks any offensive capabilities (because I was reserving her TP) and also lack buffs/debuffs since I don't have any subclass options yet. Any suggestions?

Mine was pretty much a straight up healer until subclasses unlocked. 0 damage contributed.

Ferrio

Banned
What did you subclass to? I'm thinking Runemaster.

Arcanist. Circles don't require much upkeep, so she could lay them down while still keeping up with healing and what not. I think runemaster you might blow through your tp really quickly. Though with TP boost and free energy it might work. Won't be casting much origin spells though.

pwack

Once you get far enough, you can reclass to an arcanist with a medic sub. The heal over time causes by circles (in combat) or walking (out of combat), combined with burst healing from dispelling a circle or medic skills has kept my more than healthy enough through the fifth labyrinth.

You can also spec skills to recover TP when an ailment lands or a circles disburses, which has been sufficient to keep my TP up.

InertiaXr

Does anybody know if being around lvl 21-22 when I just opened up the 2nd level of the Misty Ravine in land 2 seem about right? I think my 5 classes setup or the way I have specced them or am using them in battle must be wrong in some way, I have an extremely hard time even just fighting random encounter trash mobs on level 1 of the Misty Ravine. If my Medic gets put to sleep then I'm going to probably have at least 1 guy die. Then if the fire bulb things swell up and explode (because I can't focus fire them down fast enough in a turn), it will more than likely kill my entire back row. My class setup is Fortress/Landsharkguy, then Runemaster/Sniper/Medic.

pwack

Does anybody know if being around lvl 21-22 when I just opened up the 2nd level of the Misty Ravine in land 2 seem about right? I think my 5 classes setup or the way I have specced them or am using them in battle must be wrong in some way, I have an extremely hard time even just fighting random encounter trash mobs on level 1 of the Misty Ravine. If my Medic gets put to sleep then I'm going to probably have at least 1 guy die. Then if the fire bulb things swell up and explode (because I can't focus fire them down fast enough in a turn), it will more than likely kill my entire back row. My class setup is Fortress/Landsharkguy, then Runemaster/Sniper/Medic.

That level sounds about right; if you are underleveled, a few successful battles will bring you up. What are you specced?

That said, I didn't use a Lands at low levls, and have never used a Runesmaster.

Ferrio

Banned

What spells you running with runemaster?

InertiaXr

That level sounds about right; if you are underleveled, a few successful battles will bring you up. What are you specced?

That said, I didn't use a Lands at low levls, and have never used a Runesmaster.

What spells you running with runemaster?

My friend linked me this so I figured I'd just post my entire builds: http://www.crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html

Code:
Main Class: Fortress
    Proficiency:     1/1
    Expertise:       1/1
    Mineralogy:      1/1
    Iron Wall:       7/10
    Taunt:           4/4
    Strike Guard:    2/6
    Ally Shield:     1/6
    Bolt Strike:     5/10
    Holy Smite:      2/10

Main Class: Landsknecht
    Proficiency:    1/1
    Expertise:      1/1
    Sonic Raid:     3/10
    Blazing Link:   5/10
    Freezing Link:  1/10
    Power Break:    4/6
    Mind Break:     1/6
    Power Boost:    4/8
    Vanguard:       1/6
    Bandage:        1/6
    Improved Link:  2/8

Main Class: RuneMaster
    Herbology:       1/1
    Fire Rune:       1/6
    Ice Rune:        1/6
    Volt Rune:       1/6
    Fireball Rune:   1/10
    Ice Lance Rune:  5/10
    Lightning Rune:  2/10
    Runic Gleam:     3/6
    TP Boost:        5/8
    Storm Rune:      1/8
    Runic Flare:     1/10

Main Class: Sniper
    Scavenger:       1/6
    Long Shot:       6/10
    Leg Snipe:       2/8
    Flank Shot:      5/10
    Steel Arrow:     3/10
    Arm Snipe:       3/8
    Silver Arrow:    1/8
    Head Snipe:      1/8

Main Class: Medic
    Proficiency:    1/1
    Expertise:      1/1
    Herbology:      1/1
    Toxin Study:    1/1
    Patch Up:       7/8
    Refresh:        3/6
    Healing:        6/10
    Heavy Strike:   1/8
    Treat:          1/6
    Line Heal:      2/10

I guess it doesn't necessarily have a ton of synergy, but I wanted to make sure I could cover for instance all 3 ele types with my runemaster, all 3 binds with sniper etc. I would understand having troubles with some orange FoEs or bosses in that case, but I have tons of trouble with even just trash mobs now, especially when they can put me to sleep. Even if I head bind first turn with my sniper it's not 100% effective, and so then probably 3 or 4 of my guys will be put to sleep. I've played videogames and RPGs before so I'm a little confused as to why I'm having so much trouble.

Ferrio

Banned
Well you got lightning rune, so that's good. I really didn't use anything else besides origin rune until end game. As for your troubles... what bursts are you running?

Flame wall burst + lightning rune pretty much carried my ass through encounters in the early game. Everytime I saw one of those exploding bulbs... out comes the flame wall + lightning rune. If you do use flame wall, make sure your runemaster casts it.

Also I think your Land's links might be wasted on your party. Links take a long time to setup... and really benefit from having a dancer on hand. I mean you have a runemaster... so elemental damage isn't an issue. Might wanna stick to non link attacks with him.

InertiaXr

Well you got lightning rune, so that's good. I really didn't use anything else until end game. As for your troubles... what bursts are you running?

Flame wall burst + lightning rune pretty much carried my ass through encounters in the early game. Everytime I saw one of those exploding bulbs... out comes the flame wall + lightning rune.

Also I think your Land's links might be wasted on your party. Links take a long time to setup... and really benefit from having a dancer on hand. I mean you have a runemaster... so elemental damage isn't an issue.

I have full retreat and double slash bursts equipped right now, but I barely use them because double slash does less damage than most of my guys normal skills, and I want to keep burst saved up in case I have to run. I hate using it though, because then I have to run through the entire floor again...

I probably need to reset all my dudes skills and drop my Lands then? Replace with a nightseeker or dancer is the only other classes I have unlocked right now though.

Ferrio

Banned
I have full retreat and double slash bursts equipped right now, but I barely use them because double slash does less damage than most of my guys normal skills, and I want to keep burst saved up in case I have to run. I hate using it though, because then I have to run through the entire floor again...

I probably need to reset all my dudes skills and drop my Lands then? Replace with a nightseeker or dancer is the only other classes I have unlocked right now though.

I think your land is fine, if you just use his other skillls. I really didn't use a land in my party (my fortress had it as a subclass though)... so I'm not an expert. But I'm guessing you could run him with his double strike skill tree. I just found links to be a lot of setup with not so great payoff. I mean it's pretty much useless in random battles since you don't have the time to go through the buffing.

Double slash is good, but mainly for bosses. I found it works best on a nightseeker though... everyone else it was pitiful damage. I'd run with flame wall instead if I were you.

And full retreat is awesome.. it never left my equipped bursts.

InertiaXr

I think your land is fine, if you just use his other skillls. I really didn't use a land in my party (my fortress had it as a subclass though)... so I'm not an expert. But I'm guessing you could run him with his double strike skill tree. I just found links to be a lot of setup with not so great payoff. I mean it's pretty much useless in random battles since you don't have the time to go through the buffing.

Double slash is good, but mainly for bosses. I found it works best on a nightseeker though... everyone else it was pitiful damage. I'd run with flame wall instead if I were you.

And full retreat is awesome.. it never left my equipped bursts.

Thanks for the help, even with the 2 level drop from resetting my guys skills I'm having a 10x easier time with trash mobs in land 2 than before.

pwack

Thanks for the help, even with the 2 level drop from resetting my guys skills I'm having a 10x easier time with trash mobs in land 2 than before.

If you go link lands, then you should build yor sniper towards their Squall Shot skill. You can also consider replacing someone (runesmaster?) with another multihit class like dancer or night seeker.

I have lands/fort/night seeker/sniper/arcanist as my main classes. With max improved link in the lands, the NS's multihit skill maxed, the NS's "repeat" skill maxed, and squall shot maxed, I can land a crap load of links. Granted this takes two rounds to set up, so it's really only ideal for bosses.

Also, I never used any of the "break"/debuff skills outside of what my arcanist has; seems like a waste on a damage class like the lands.

Before you leave town at the dock, there's an option to c hange equipment.

Thanks, hey I've got some other questions, could you guys help me out?

• What level can I subclass?
  • Is there any reason to make more than 5 characters?
  • Do new characters always start at Lv.1 and must be leveled up in your party or so they gain EXP automatically from the guild?
  • How can I scan which Elemental weakness a monster has?
  • Are any of the secret classes missable or given upon beating the game (I really want Bushi)?

tuffy

• What level can I subclass?
This opens up about midway through the 3rd maze after beating a sub-boss of sorts.
  • Is there any reason to make more than 5 characters?
  • Do new characters always start at Lv.1 and must be leveled up in your party or so they gain EXP automatically from the guild?
New characters always start at level 1 and don't gain experience sitting on the bench, so you're better off sticking with a core team of 5. However, when new classes open up you'll get trainers who can automatically raise any character to a certain level for a limited number of times. That way you don't have to do a lot of grinding to bring in someone with the new class.
  • How can I scan which Elemental weakness a monster has?
After you've beaten the monster once, using the R trigger in a fight will show its resistances/weaknesses to elements and different types of physical attacks.
  • Are any of the secret classes missable or given upon beating the game (I really want Bushi)?
Nothing in the game is missable.

Ferrio

Banned

Since he didn't touch up on it... there's also retiring which will retire one of your characters permentantly BUT let you create a new character 1/2 of it's level + stat/skill point bonuses mattering on what level it was retired on. So it's not a bad option if you're looking to create a whole new class.

Thanks a bunch tuffy & Ferrio!

Since he didn't touch up on it... there's also retiring which will retire one of your characters permentantly BUT let you create a new character 1/2 of it's level + stat/skill point bonuses mattering on what level it was retired on. So it's not a bad option if you're looking to create a whole new class.

Only one character may retire or can I retire all 5? Also, may they retire into the same class as they were before? I'd like to keep my Dancer as a Dancer but on level parity with the others if possible.

tuffy

Only one character may retire or can I retire all 5? Also, may they retire into the same class as they were before? I'd like to keep my Dancer as a Dancer but on level parity with the others if possible.
You can retire any character who's at least level 30, as I recall, and can pick the old class for the improved recruit if you like. But the improved recruit's stat/skill point boost only counts the most recent level of the retired character; you can't retire someone at level 99, level back to 99 and retire again for more bonuses for instance.

You can retire any character who's at least level 30, as I recall, and can pick the old class for the improved recruit if you like. But the improved recruit's stat/skill point boost only counts the most recent level of the retired character; you can't retire someone at level 99, level back to 99 and retire again for more bonuses for instance.

Ok, I just unlocked Land 2 - I'm thinking about retiring all characters soon in order to get a small but helpful stat point boost - this will put my guild at Lv15, what is the best way to grind them back up? I've made an autoloop in one of the dungeons, that seems pretty good to me I guess.

spiritfox

You shouldn't retire this early. The points are not signficant enough to make a difference and the grind back up takes the fun out of the game. Just rest if you want to reskill.

You shouldn't retire this early. The points are not signficant enough to make a difference and the grind back up takes the fun out of the game. Just rest if you want to reskill.

My prob is that I want to switch two of the classes :/ I figure I can do everybody at the same time for level parity. I don't mind the grind, I can just set it to auto while I finish up another game.

esoterika

Neo Member
I'm getting a 3DS XL soon and I was looking at games to buy before SMTIV came out. Was listening to the music for this game and holy crap what an amazing soundtrack.

Game looks fun, I'll probably pick it up after I try the demo.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm getting a 3DS XL soon and I was looking at games to buy before SMTIV came out. Was listening to the music for this game and holy crap what an amazing soundtrack.

Game looks fun, I'll probably pick it up after I try the demo.

Ya the soundtrack is amazing. Been listening to it a lot recently. Glad I decided to go outside my comfort zone and buy this game.

turnbuckle

Finally started playing this game last weekend. Is there any benefit to the streetpass stuff that I'm missing out on? I can get all the QR codes from gamefaqs but wasn't sure if there was something else (like how you would miss out on developing that inn in DQIX if you didn't encounter a bunch of people).

I didn't realize the food you picked up could be eaten for boosts that affect your team indefinitely (until you go to town, I think). Would have been nice knowing this right away so I could get the golden goose to boost XP.

I just got the first altitude enhancement for the airship and I'm really loving this game overall. I've read that some of the stats aren't really "honest" but I'm kinda afraid of reading FAQs on why out of fear that I'll get into the same habit as old EOs where I get swallowed into maximizing every desirable aspect of my party and succumb to cookie cutter arrangements.

The party I'm using is Landsnecht, medic, dual wield guy, bow guy, and runemaster. So far I'm a bit disappointed in the Medic and Dual Wield guy. Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, some skills don't make sense like the chase bind ability. I mean, it'd make sense if I had multiple party members that had binds, but seeing as my party only has bow guy doing the binding it's hard for him to trigger his chase bind ability. I haven't unlocked it yet though, perhaps it works differently than that.

Anywho, just wanted to chime in real quick and give me semi-early impressions. Love the game, miss the FM soundtrack but find the music to be quite good still so long as playing through headphones (no surprise there). Definitely looking forward to the reimagining/remake of the first one. This is one of my favorite series, but it's so hard going back to that one with all the quality of life improvements the sequels offer.

Ferrio

Banned
The party I'm using is Landsnecht, medic, dual wield guy, bow guy, and runemaster. So far I'm a bit disappointed in the Medic and Dual Wield guy. Also, unless I'm reading it wrong, some skills don't make sense like the chase bind ability. I mean, it'd make sense if I had multiple party members that had binds, but seeing as my party only has bow guy doing the binding it's hard for him to trigger his chase bind ability. I haven't unlocked it yet though, perhaps it works differently than that.

Nightseeker? Best class in the game, easily.

Top Bottom