• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A suddenly low-level team with a bunch of higher level gear shouldn't have much of a problem, especially if you're able to farm golden sheep in the Scarlet Pillars area.

Not to spoil anything, but you'll be able to open those much later.

So they do keep their gear, right?

Santiako

I just unlocked subclasses, I only subclassed my Arcanist with Medic so I can have revive again. No idea what to do with the Landshjasd, Fortress, Nightseeker or Runemaster though.

Anteo

I just unlocked subclasses, I only subclassed my Arcanist with Medic so I can have revive again. No idea what to do with the Landshjasd, Fortress, Nightseeker or Runemaster though.

For Nightseeker sub him/her as Runemaster Arcanist, a 3rd tier runemaster Arcanist skill adds to the chance of landing ailments. Fortress could go Dancer or Night I guess for one of the evasion skills, but one of them is bugged and will set your evasion to 0 in certain conditions so be carefull. I cant remember which.

Edit: I mean Arcanist for Nightseeker.

spiritfox

Landshark, go Runemaster if you are using Links, or wait for Bushi if you are not. Dancer sub for Fortress for Fan Dance, Nightseekers can also benefit from Arcanist's Aliment Boost and Bushi also for Runemaster.

When in doubt, Bushi.

Santiako

Thanks for the answers, I've subclassed the fortress with dancer, to give him more evasion, the runemaster with a random subclass to use the extra 5 skill points in moar magic power, the night seeker with arcanist to help ailments and I'm waiting to unlock bushi for my nonlink landshark.

Btw, the activity in this thread makes me fear that we'll never get the millennium girl in europe. :(

Any advice on who to sub a medic as, I got a party of a L N F up front and a M R behind so I don't need him to start unloading damage, I guess I'm thinking of a class that could make him tankier, have more TP and/or have more utility skills like buffs and debuffs would be good.

Santiako

Any advice on who to sub a medic as, I got a party of a L N F up front and a M R behind so I don't need him to start unloading damage, I guess I'm thinking of a class that could make him tankier, have more TP and/or have more utility skills like buffs and debuffs would be good.
I have that same party and I benched the medic as soon as I unlocked the arcanist class. I'd say go Arcanist with sub medic to revive.

Roubjon

Okay, I've been trying to beat the 3rd Dungeon for probably 15 hours and omfg I'm so tired of walking from the first floor to the 3rd over and over again. So how should I go about blowing up all of the annoying Fire shield things in order to weaken the boss. Should I just blow one up and then teleport to the beginning of the floor each time so I can get to the next one without the boss running into me and then one hitting my entire party?

KarmaCow

Okay, I've been trying to beat the 3rd Dungeon for probably 15 hours and omfg I'm so tired of walking from the first floor to the 3rd over and over again. So how should I go about blowing up all of the annoying Fire shield things in order to weaken the boss. Should I just blow one up and then teleport to the beginning of the floor each time so I can get to the next one without the boss running into me and then one hitting my entire party?

You only need to take out the big fire shard behind the boss, but I think the safe route requires you take out the smaller ones.

You can do it one at a time, leaving the room each time so it loses aggro and goes back to its starting location. There are two exits too, use both and the room on the right has a shortcut in it. I recommend going back to town to save after taking out the big one that actually weakens the boss. However I think the shard will reset when the day turns over so don't take too long.

Roubjon

You only need to take out the big fire shard behind the boss, but I think the safe route requires you take out the smaller ones.

You can do it one at a time, leaving the room each time so it loses aggro and goes back to its starting location. There are two exits too, use both and the room on the right has a shortcut in it. I recommend going back to town to save after taking out the big one that actually weakens the boss. However I think the shard will reset when the day turns over so don't take too long.

Why did I never think to leave the area so he runs back to his original spot? That's so obvious!

EDIT:

I made this yo.

tumblr_msuflh7nay1r51s2ko1_r2_250.gif

Santiako

So I've unlocked imperials yesterday but they seem like a really weird class with those massive cooldowns and such. Are they super powerful or something?

ohlawd

So I've unlocked imperials yesterday but they seem like a really weird class with those massive cooldowns and such. Are they super powerful or something?
yes their Drives are their main source of damage and they HURT.

basically, you Drive to an element an enemy is weak against, use your cooldown techs and buff your next attack and Drive again for sexy damage, repeat.

trying to remember the general sequence is:
Drive -> Sharp Edge -> Cool Edge -> Charge Edge -> Drive -> Ignition -> Drive x3

Ignition at max prof lets you do multiple Drives in a row after two overheats.

bomblord

Banned
Probably been answered a million times but I don't feel like crawling through the thread to find it.

Is it true this game has basically no story or character development? Story and characters are the two most important things in JRPG's to me if they aren't being developed well or there is not a story worth sitting through I cannot motivate myself to grind through it.

Santiako

yes their Drives are their main source of damage and they HURT.

basically, you Drive to an element an enemy is weak against, use your cooldown techs and buff your next attack and Drive again for sexy damage, repeat.

Drive -> Sharp Edge -> Cool Edge -> Charge Edge -> Drive -> Ignition -> Drive x3

Ignition at max prof lets you do multiple Drives in a row after two overheats.

Sounds cool, I may replace my Fortress with one.

tuffy

Is it true this game has basically no story or character development? Story and characters are the two most important things in JRPG's to me if they aren't being developed well or there is not a story worth sitting through I cannot motivate myself to grind through it.
There's definitely a story which unfolds as the game progresses, but since the party is one you put together, the game's not going to make up personalities for your people. Their character growth mirrors the player's progression rather than some built-in narrative. So the game may not be for you.
I believe the most efficient way to go is:

Assault Drive -> Heat Sink -> Whatever (Bushi Charge is preferable) -> Big Drive -> Ignition -> Big Drive x 3

It gets to Ignition status faster and foregoes the need to put any points into the Edge line of skills.

Yeah, I like all four portraits, unlike the horrible Bushi ones.

The internet's ruined werefolk, too. Just a bad scene all around.

This is one of quality, not quantity. I find the EO series a nice cleanser after the constant, empty prose of alot of RPGs with more disc space to fill than talent and ideas to fill it with.

ohlawd

I believe the most efficient way to go is:

Assault Drive -> Heat Sink -> Whatever (Bushi Charge is preferable) -> Big Drive -> Ignition -> Big Drive x 3

It gets to Ignition status faster and foregoes the need to put any points into the Edge line of skills.

That's pretty sick heh I'll keep that in mind.

I wonder which setup does more damage after the Drive x3 step. Mine needs elemental weaknesses doe >_>

mrsmr2

I ended up getting this after all, and the EO addiction is back in full swing.

I've mapped all the caves and have just started on floor 3 of the first dungeon. I'm sticking with my party of:

L D N
S R

I'll see how far they can get me

Nohar

So... I just unlocked subclasses, which is a good thing. However, I'm currently disappointed by my Sniper, and I'm seriously thinking about replacing it. The question is: by what?
My team is currently:
  • Landsknecht (will sub Bushi)
  • Nightseeker (sub Arcanist)
  • Arcanist (sub Medic)
  • Runemaster (will sub [hidden class])
  • Sniper (meh)
So, since bindings and ailments will be taken of by my Nightseeker and Arcanist, and since my Sniper's damage output is pretty meh, I want to get rid of him for someone more interesting. I'm not really interested by the Fortress, so what about a Dancer? However, I'm not familiar at all with that class, I don't know which subclass to add to it, and I'm not sure this class would be more relevant to the team than my Sniper.

I ended up getting this after all, and the EO addiction is back in full swing.

I've mapped all the caves and have just started on floor 3 of the first dungeon. I'm sticking with my party of:

L D N
S R

I'll see how far they can get me

I'd replace the L or N with a F, but you'll probably do fine anyways.

Ferrio

Banned
Probably been answered a million times but I don't feel like crawling through the thread to find it.

Yes the game is bare bones when it comes to story. I didn't think I'd like the game as well since I usually play JRPGs for the story. But the battle system and class system is so great that I fell in love with it. Definitely a breath of fresh air from stuff like FFXIII.

Anteo

No character stories, the npc always interact with the party calling them by the name of the guild (even if you change the party members). There is a small barebone backstory that you follow but that's it.

Wait for Etrian Oddysey Untold, that one has actual characters and story.

bomblord

Banned
No character stories, the npc always interact with the party calling them by the name of the guild (even if you change the party members). There is a small barebone backstory that you follow but that's it.

Wait for Etrian Oddysey Untold, that one has actual characters and story.

Wait is untold it's own game or some kind of DLC?

Everyone thinks they need story and character to enjoy a JPRG, and then they play Etrian Odyssey.

Cerity

got my copy as well, had the only copy instore and the employee wanted it haha.

got to resist playing it though, have to finish this damnable c assignment

redcrayon

Everyone thinks they need story and character to enjoy a JPRG, and then they play Etrian Odyssey.

:D So true. I love the natural stories your own guild makes anyway, that one time you were cornered between two foes and fought your way out, or when you forgot an Ariadne thread and had to limp out of the dungeon, praying you didn't get ambushed by a particular set of monsters. Good times.

mrsmr2

I'd replace the L or N with a F, but you'll probably do fine anyways.

Thanks. I keep reading about how important a Fortress is and, back when I was playing the demo I was told (elsewhere) to replace my Dancer with one.

I certainly won't lose my Dancer but I'm wondering if I can keep my team long term. The Dancer gives me some healing and status effect eradication. Certainly helped me with the Furyhorns.

Nohar

I never used a Fortress, though I believe this class is invaluable during the first hours, when you have very skishy characters and didn't unlock yet useful abilities. I reached the 4th region, and, well, my team is pretty solid and definitly doesn't need a Fortress. In any case, you can still replace a character you don't like with others, thanks to the leveling books you get after ending region 2 and onward.

Current party: Land/Bushi (I don't want to use links...), Nightseeker/Arcanist, Dancer/Nightseeker, Runemaster/Imperial (when unlocked), Arcanist/Medic.

KarmaCow

...well, I sure wish I knew about the QR codes before wasting all that effort on getting new items.

The QR items are for the most not worth it. The healing wand is good in the beginning if you don't have a medic but the rest of the stuff gets outclassed fairly quickly.

mrsmr2

First land cleared with my L D N, S R party.

Now to see if this game has the same "oh my god" jump in difficulty of the first one.

Top Bottom