• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Yes, but that way he becomes much more expensive to keep going.
Unless you activate that mode only against bosses I guess?

Those on the backrow only take half damage too. Which is predictable. Even squishy A, R, and Ms are generally safe from KOs if you put anything into a line heal.

Anteo

In EO4 changing rows in mid battle is free (in EO3 it uses up the action for that turn) so you can always kill all but one enemy and taunt away to get some extra TP at the end of the fight.

The Fortress is tanky, but is really hard for the character to tank a 5+ hit attack on the whole party. So being in the backrow helps a lot.

Soulhouf

Those on the backrow only take half damage too. Which is predictable. Even squishy A, R, and Ms are generally safe from KOs if you put anything into a line heal.

In EO4 changing rows in mid battle is free (in EO3 it uses up the action for that turn) so you can always kill all but one enemy and taunt away to get some extra TP at the end of the fight.

The Fortress is tanky, but is really hard for the character to tank a 5+ hit attack on the whole party. So being in the backrow helps a lot.

Very neat.
I don't know why but I played the entire game (including post game) without doing that.

Nah.

Taunts are ridiculously cheap, and very effective at redirecting and mitigating damage. I never had much issue with keeping taunts up for pretty much every battle. He was absorbing something like 90% of attacks after taunting with max taunting anyway, so the most efficient thing for him to do most battles was just to defend to mitigate the damage even further. I never had to spend very many resources on healing after the first stratum or so.

ohlawd

Whenever I put my Fortress in the back row and with Taunt active, most of the enemies' attacks would focus on my front row. Coincidence, I think not.

This game may not love me but I love it so it all balances out <3

Roubjon

I FINALLY made it out of Labyrinth III and into the new land, man it feels so good. I'm like level 44 all around. Is that over leveled?

I FINALLY made it out of Labyrinth III and into the new land, man it feels so good. I'm like level 44 all around. Is that over leveled?

I've that level and I haven't even fought the Boiling Lizard once yet. I just keep getting trapped in his chamber and having to rope out.

LayLa

finally beat the end boss at the 3rd attempt, that was pretty intense! about 50 hours on the end clock. is there any post-game content? need something to tide me over until Soul Hackers comes out in 5 days and don't really want to start another game.

finally beat the end boss at the 3rd attempt, that was pretty intense! about 50 hours on the end clock. is there any post-game content? need something to tide me over until Soul Hackers comes out in 5 days and don't really want to start another game.

Postgame added like 30 more hours to my playtime.
There's an entire bonus dungeon. If you haven't already, you can take on the elemental dragons and the boss quests if you haven't beaten all those.

Anteo

Postgame content:

3 Elememtal dragons, the first time you kill one of them, the level cap of your guild is increased by 10 levels. The first level cap is 70, defeat all 3 to increase it to 99.
1 Final dragon, really really awfull enemy that can basically doom you to lose the fight from the first turn.
1 New Dugeon with new mechanics and FOEs that put the final boss to shame, this dugeon has it's own boss.

Roubjon

Are there any other JRPGs that demand you to use everything at your disposal to win fights like this game does? Maybe some earlier SMT games? I wouldn't know because the only SMT games I've played are Soul Hackers and a chunk of SMT IV. Winning fights in this is so consistently rewarding, it's awesome. I love how it's all about the set up and then when it is executed flawlessly it can end a seemingly impossible fight in only a couple of turns.

Ferrio

Banned
Are there any other JRPGs that demand you to use everything at your disposal to win fights like this game does? Maybe some earlier SMT games? I wouldn't know because the only SMT games I've played are Soul Hackers and a chunk of SMT IV. Winning fights in this is so consistently rewarding, it's awesome. I love how it's all about the set up and then when it is executed flawlessly it can end a seemingly impossible fight in only a couple of turns.

Why I adored the game. First RPG i played in a long time that every fight you need to think and can't just auto attack.

Anything done by Atlus/Falcom is pretty good and rewarding, I'd recommend you to check out Nocturne. But beware, there are just not many RPG's that reward you like EO does.

Roubjon

Anything done by Atlus/Falcom is pretty good and rewarding, I'd recommend you to check out Nocturne and SMT4. But beware, there are just not many JRPG's that reward you like EO does.... it's quite sad.

Yeah, I've heard fantastic things about Nocturne. And I have SMT 4! The game is seriously fantastic and I'm around 15 hours into it, but I'm putting it on hold until I finish EOIV.

So many JRPGs have fantastic worlds and characters, but I usually end up not finishing them because the gameplay just gets so goddamn boring. I feel like this is especially common in games from the PS1 days. Don't get me wrong, it's by far one of my favorite genres, but it's just so refreshing to play this. I've had the game since release, but I guess it's just now clicking with me like it hadn't before and I really appreciate it.

Not to mention I like the art a ton and the music is ridiculously good.

Yeah, I've heard fantastic things about Nocturne. And I have SMT 4! The game is seriously fantastic and I'm around 15 hours into it, but I'm putting it on hold until I finish EOIV.

So many JRPGs have fantastic worlds and characters, but I usually end up not finishing them because the gameplay just gets so goddamn boring. I feel like this is especially common in games from the PS1 days. Don't get me wrong, it's by far one of my favorite genres, but it's just so refreshing to play this. I've had the game since release, but I guess it's just now clicking with me like it hadn't before and I really appreciate it.

Not to mention I like the art a ton and the music is ridiculously good.

I agree, and that's why so many gamers don't try EO because "I need story and character development to enjoy a JRPG". They don't get that Etrian Odyssey never gets boring, unless you subclass everyone as a Bushi and destroy the game lol

I picked this up the other day and enjoying it so far. I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong because my Runemaster is the only character that does any significant damage. LS hits like a fly even with Vanguard up and my Fortress spends most of the time defending. Nightseeker is really good if I have a status effect up (usually blind) but getting it to stick is a crapshoot. If I come across a FOE most of my party tries not to die while the Runemaster does damage and Nightseeker prays for blind to stick. I can kill Cutters just fine but that means I'm out of TP after 1 or 2.

My arrangement now is LS/F/NS // M/RM. Should I just stick it out or switch someone out? I'm at level 10 on Lush Woodlands BF2

Anteo

I picked this up the other day and enjoying it so far. I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong because my Runemaster is the only character that does any significant damage. LS hits like a fly even with Vanguard up and my Fortress spends most of the time defending. Nightseeker is really good if I have a status effect up (usually blind) but getting it to stick is a crapshoot. If I come across a FOE most of my party tries not to die while the Runemaster does damage and Nightseeker prays for blind to stick. I can kill Cutters just fine but that means I'm out of TP after 1 or 2.

My arrangement now is LS/F/NS // M/RM. Should I just stick it out or switch someone out? I'm at level 10 on Lush Woodlands BF2

That's the setup I had for the whole game, postgame included, you must know that yeah, your runemaster and NS will be the main source of damage, use the other characters to control the damage output of the enemy (pick the Mind break and Power break for the LS)

This setup is the safest one imo, as the Fortress and the Medic are there to prevent the team wipe but burns mana a lot in big fights so boss batles need to go at a steady pace so the bosses dont outlive you. I like it and recomend it for new players, other setups like offensive dancer + link landscknecht are riskier but deal huge damage per turn.

The only thing a Defensive Dancer does better than a medic is in preventing a full row/party lockdown by ailments/binds, as the medic needs to act in the turn to clean up while the dancer will work automatically at the end of the turn. The importance of preventing ailments in the game varies from dungeon to dungeon so they never outclass eachother really, and
subclasing
balaces it out.

Soulhouf

If you didn't play the EO1 yet, do it. I don't know how faithful the classic mode in the remake is but the original was fucking fantastic.
There are a certain Square game called Vagrant Story which is very unique but still challenging and very rewarding as well.

Other than that, Atlus is the expert in making this type of RPGs where the gameplay is very well thought out and challenging.
SMT Nocturne Maniax is perfect in hard mode.

Nah.

Taunts are ridiculously cheap, and very effective at redirecting and mitigating damage. I never had much issue with keeping taunts up for pretty much every battle. He was absorbing something like 90% of attacks after taunting with max taunting anyway, so the most efficient thing for him to do most battles was just to defend to mitigate the damage even further. I never had to spend very many resources on healing after the first stratum or so.

Oh, that's right. I forgot about taunt because it becomes pretty useless in the second half of the game where the enemies start using AOE attacks.
But it's true, in the beginning it's so important.

Roubjon

That's the same team I'm using too and it has been working out pretty well. Once you get the ability to have subclasses, you can tweak the team a little more to your liking so they can do what they already are doing, but better.

Thanks for the info guys. Played a bit more and I hit what looks like the big boss of the first area. Is it possible to blind this thing? Nightseeker was useless the first time I fought it. Once my Runemaster ran out of TP (around 30% health) I couldn't do shit.

Roubjon

Guys.

There's another Etrian Odyssey game in 2 weeks.

What a year.

It's so absurd, but I love it.

Thanks for the info guys. Played a bit more and I hit what looks like the big boss of the first area. Is it possible to blind this thing? Nightseeker was useless the first time I fought it. Once my Runemaster ran out of TP (around 30% health) I couldn't do shit.

It's definitely possible to blind it, it's just hard to do. I'm pretty sure once you blind it the chances of it happening it again are decrease though.

Anteo

Yes is possible, but it depends on your luck really. The status effects are not reliable in the early game, it should get better as you level up. What enemy are you fighting anyways and in what floor?

Guys.

There's another Etrian Odyssey game in 2 weeks.

What a year.

So after EO:U, 2 years for the next EO? D=

Jawmuncher

I just bought Etrian Odyssey for the 3DS blindly.
What am I in for GAF. I knew there was a demo but said screw it. Main thing that pushed my blind purchase was the promise in difficulty for experts and newcomers alike. With me being the latter.

Anteo

I just bought Etrian Odyssey for the 3DS blindly.
What am I in for GAF. I knew there was a demo but said screw it. Main thing that pushed my blind purchase was the promise in difficulty for experts and newcomers alike. With me being the latter.

Start with the default difficulty, you can change it at any time on the main city by going to the options if you really find it too hard. Be ready to learn how to plan for the smallest battles and to undestand when you are outclassed and have to avoid enemies/abuse the encounter orb/pray the rng lets you run.

I'm hoping for EO2U so an EO noob like me can catch up. Ultimately, I'm down for anything EO related and I hope another one comes next year :)

Yeah I too want a new EO for next year, don't mind if it's EOU-II or EOV really. But EOIV had the "export your party for the next game" thing so I expect EOV to follow.

Jawmuncher

Start with the default difficulty, you can change it at any time on the main city by going to the options if you really find it too hard. Be ready to learn how to plan for the smallest battles and to undestand when you are outclassed and have to avoid enemies/abuse the encounter orb/pray the rng lets you run.

Sounds like fun then! Thanks for the heads up.

spiritfox

I'm hoping for EO2U so an EO noob like me can catch up. Ultimately, I'm down for anything EO related and I hope another one comes next year :)

Hopefully they alternate between EOU and the mainline EO for the next few years.

Unless they get bought by Capcom, then say goodbye to any localizations. :(

Yes is possible, but it depends on your luck really. The status effects are not reliable in the early game, it should get better as you level up. What enemy are you fighting anyways and in what floor?

I was referring to Berserker King in Lush Woodlands. I read that binding its arms works really well but my Sniper is only level 5 or something like that

Jawmuncher

Don't let the former advise overtake the latter. The sheer joy of outwitting, outgunning, outthinking the enemies and obstacles is hard to find elsewhere.

Definitely liking the sound of that. Since stuff like that is one of the reasons why I enjoyed Souls games. While obviously those aren't the same type of game i'd say the idea stands.

Berserker King down. It wasn't even fair lol

Had to get a couple levels and upgrade Sand Throw for it to work reliably. Once I got blind on him it was massacre.

Got a pretty strong sword that gives extra TP with his remains too. Onto the next zone!

Had to get a couple levels and upgrade Sand Throw for it to work reliably. Once I got blind on him it was massacre.

Good to hear Sand Throw is working out for you. My characters are in the 45-50 range and I still find Sand Throw to be a vital skill. Spread Throw > Sand Throw, especially Auto-Spread Throw > Sand Throw and you've got an entire group of enemies just completely crippled and ready to torn apart.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I still need to pick this game up.
Once finished Inazuma Eleven 3, I'll do it.
I've chosen it over Mario&Luigi (that I'll buy later)

Whens a good point to start investing into the late game runes? I've got a Runemaster at lvl 48 and primarily still using fire, ice and volt (with great effect). For a bit I've been wondering if I should respec her to balance her stats more towards the late game runes like Inferno and Galvanic but I'm just a little worried that I might not be causing that much more damage yet. Also the increase in TP use is crazy although with free energy and her insane TP pool that has never been an issue with her. Essentially, I'm asking if it's better to have low level Inferno rune or just stick it out with a lvl 10 flame rune.

Anteo

Whens a good point to start investing into the late game runes? I've got a Runemaster at lvl 48 and primarily still using fire, ice and volt (with great effect). For a bit I've been wondering if I should respec her to balance her stats more towards the late game runes like Inferno and Galvanic but I'm just a little worried that I might not be causing that much more damage yet. Also the increase in TP use is crazy although with free energy and her insane TP pool that has never been an issue with her. Essentially, I'm asking if it's better to have low level Inferno rune or just stick it out with a lvl 10 flame rune.

Well you could always try it yourself, check your damage on one enemy, reset the runemaster and check your damage again, then reset the game if you dont like the change.

The late game Fire and Thunder spells are much much better for Bosses, the Ice one not so much, so you may want to max the 2nd tier Ice for dragon hunting.

tuffy

Whens a good point to start investing into the late game runes?
I would prioritize maxing out Runic Flare, Runic Guidance and Runic Mastery and put the bare minimum points into the actual runes themselves until everything else is taken care of. The damage increase from maxing out those boosting skills is greater than the increase from maxing out any individual rune skill, and it applies to all the runes. Not to mention that keeps TP costs down at the same time.

Labyrinth 2 is kicking my ass. Status effects everywhere. Am I supposed to have gear that neutralizes it or should be trucking through with Medic? His TP can barely get me to the second floor

Also, is there any point using dual wield with Nightseeker early in the game? I'm getting barely anything out of the second hit and his defense is pitiful. I have Blade Fury mastered but I'm thinking of resting him and moving those points elsewhere until later.

Anteo

Labyrinth 2 is kicking my ass. Status effects everywhere. Am I supposed to have gear that neutralizes it or should be trucking through with Medic? His TP can barely get me to the second floor

Also, is there any point using dual wield with Nightseeker early in the game? I'm getting barely anything out of the second hit and his defense is pitiful. I have Blade Fury mastered but I'm thinking of resting him and moving those points elsewhere until later.

Yeah the second dugeon is really hard with that, you just need to hold on till you can finish battle faster than they can put status on you.

Also bladefury isn't worth early unless you need attacks for your dancer.

Boney

Banned
Man i came back to the game and the 3rd floor of the 3rd stratum killed me. I think I need to grind more, seeing the ronin was like 5 levels above me.

But still, my damage output is so ridiculously low, seeing the only way to deal good damage is via links

Sigh...

Roubjon

Guys I need help. I'm at the fourth land and I have no idea where I have to go. I found that magic flame and talked to the count afterwards and now my ship is supposed to be upgraded? I can't do anything new though so I'm stuck. Clearly I was skipping some dialogue I shouldn't have.

Anteo

Guys I need help. I'm at the fourth land and I have no idea where I have to go. I found that magic flame and talked to the count afterwards and now my ship is supposed to be upgraded? I can't do anything new though so I'm stuck. Clearly I was skipping some dialogue I shouldn't have.

Did you go to the airport on the city? iirc your ship should be upgraded to fly even higher

Roubjon

Did you go to the airport on the city? iirc your ship should be upgraded to fly even higher

Yeah I did, but he didn't say anything special to me. Guess my game is glitched.

#gameover #thisistheend #lifesucks #yolo

EDIT: Well I'm an idiot.
Jin-006.gif
I just needed to accept a new quest from the Count.

Ferrio

Banned
Man i came back to the game and the 3rd floor of the 3rd stratum killed me. I think I need to grind more, seeing the ronin was like 5 levels above me.

But still, my damage output is so ridiculously low, seeing the only way to deal good damage is via links

Sigh...

Don't have any assassins (aka whatever they're called nightwhatever)

Boney

Banned
Wait a second.. Does resting only reduces 2 levels and not the actual skill points? Or díd I just do the math wrong?

Don't have any assassins (aka whatever they're called nightwhatever)
I do actually. I think I needed some extra levels. Need to try fighting that boss now.

Top Bottom