• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol michael ballack on ESPN laying the smack down on Englands style. True Michael but we dont have your talented players. Shrug, waddaya want us to do, just play open and lose?

You guys are still more talented that Sweden and Ukraine but somehow I doubt you guys will play an open game against them.

Jburton

Banned
Germany, Spain, Italy or Russia would murder either any of these two teams.

I can see England And France going through but going out soon after.

Arnie

We knew England was gonna play like this against the elite. It's gonna be interesting how they come out against Ukraine and Sweden.

Very true.

Although I have a problem calling this French team 'Elite'. They had a lot of the ball but they were highly underwhelming going forward. And defensively they looked far shakier than us.

Kozak

Banned
You guys got a draw against an opponent who, before the match, you guys never expected to even get a point against. England played pretty solid as a team, playing ABC Football, grinding out a result and heck, if it weren't for that defensive slip up allowing Nasri space, you guys might have even won!

The pressures on for France, France don't want to come 2nd in the group. I wouldn't be surprised to see an implosion against Sweden.

kitch9

Banned
The next games are going to be harsh, this game was against the easiest team of the group :-(

Uhm 6th world ranking doesn't come from traditionally being easy to beat... We just normally have a poor tournament mentality.

I'm taking solace from the fact the team mostly held their shape and worked well as a unit. Hopefully as the tournament progresses hopefully we'll find an edge.

ShogunX

Take a point in arguably the toughest match in the group. Obviously my Liverpool bias showing through but I thought Glen Johnson was superb. In fact both right backs in the game had very good matches.

Ref was a bit of a cunt especially when Gerrard got blocked on the edge of the box when it was obvious to everyone in the stadium that it was a free kick. Also not sure how Cabaye never got booked.

Credo

Lalas v Ballack on ESPN is more entertaining than the game, lols

I was just about to post that. Every time Lalas keeps pressing Ballack, I can see the troll face on him. After watching them talk during post-game a few times, it wouldn't surprise me if Ballack tackled Lalas on live TV. I just get that kind of weird vibe from watching them.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
England is a phenomenally boring team to watch.

Great goal by Nasri.

nah according to kozak it was pure luck and england had amazing play throughout and france were lucky to get the draw against such a stellar side. truly a display for the ages and it's a shame they only got the draw but such is classical tragedy

Good point

Dull as fuck though

Refs performance being blown out of proportion I think, once you think the refs against you as a team and fans then every decision if scrutinised and you get more convinced he's out to get you

Wilbur

Banned
Okay considering I feared the worst... I was pretty impressed. What I like about this England is that we're buying into Hodgson's philosophy; we're forgetting about being mega stars and playing as a team. I don't think we're as shit as some people have made out to be (me being one of them). Some nice passages of play in there, but fully aware that France were a superior team.

Positives -

* The defence. Hart is a good keeper and despite a few hairy moments - most of them coming from Johnson who was still good, and Cole had a tough time up against Debuchy (who's class btw), they looked really solid. Terry and Lescott were great. We're not going to let many goals in this tournament, we restricted France to an awful lot of long shots.

* Oxlade-Chamberlain. His inexperience showed later on and he made a few silly mistakes, but he's such an exciting player. I'd rather have him over a one dimensional Walcott and Downing every time. The more he plays, I can see him growing into the side.

* Welbeck. Holds the ball up well, reads the game, passes, makes the right decisions. Can't wait to see him link up with Rooney and get in the box a little more, as I felt he had to drop back and do Young's job sometimes.

Negatives -

* Young was quiet. Didn't really do much but I think when Rooney comes back he'll be a little freer.

* The midfield. Parker just ran about not doing much but he passed the ball well at times. Tired massively in the second half and should have been taken off earlier. Gerrard is the type of player a free role was made for and he's so shackled in the centre it's unbelievable. He did almost nothing of note but he's a good enough player so that he isn't shit there, just unremarkable. Milner is shite for a first team player. It's okay for City when 25 of their league games are against inferior opposition but he's just so bland a player. He offers nothing in attack and was just there so Johnson could get forward

I was happy with the first half hour, we passed the ball well and created a few openings. The longer we got on, they got tired and succumbed a little to the heat as they always do, but they kept their shape. I'm happy. Fuck the haters including myself, I'll be content if we play like that from the quarters onwards. I'd like to see us take the game to Sweden and Ukraine.

The ref was pretty biased I thought, we should have had a few more free kicks and Cabaye should have been booked. Cabaye was great though, Nasri was very good as well.

Jubern

Very true.

Although I have a problem calling this French team 'Elite'. They had a lot of the ball but they were highly underwhelming going forward. And defensively they looked far shakier than us.

Definitely. Debuchy was boss, but for some reason Mexes-Rami duo doesn't seem as strong as a year ago. And don't get me started on Evra.

Also, as talented as out front guys are, I hate most of their guts and can't help but think their attitude is a huge part of why they can't fucking do anything with the ball once they come near the opposite goal.

Eric_S

Dull game, but it had it's moments.

England's got a very competent attacking side, when they decide to ... you know, actually attack. And the English defence is allso looking pretty good, makes me think old Blighty will actually go far this year.

I'm a bit undecided about France, they may still pull a France and choke or they may shape up a bit and god knows how far they'll go then.

===

And then there's the uppcoming game between Ukrain and Sweden. I've got no idea what so ever about the Ukrainian quality. Sweden however ... heh. Well, atleast we'll bring some laughs. :(

Afrikan

Lalas v Ballack on ESPN is more entertaining than the game, lols

I wish Ballack would just deck him. Lalas is annoying as fuck...and he tried to get Ballack and Rossi yesterday to bash Balitelli...but they didn't fall for the bait.

Fuck US ESPN and their sad attempt at bringing their BS "journalism" to Europe.

How is the UK ESPN?

Arnie

Definitely. Debuchy was boss, but for some reason Mexes-Rami duo doesn't seem as strong as a year ago. And don't get me started on Evra.

Also, as talented as out front guys are, I hate most of their guts and can't help but think their attitude is a huge part of why they can't fucking do anything with the ball once they come near the opposite goal.
Benzema was fairly disappointing in my opinion. You can see his sheer class but he's pretty ill disciplined, often dropping too deep, and when he does get the ball he was just looking to shoot. Nasri was excellent.

n!smo

Neo Member
what a dreadful game, especially the minute in the extra time -_-

sad performance by every big football nation as of now. Hopefully the euro 2012 will ignite soon.

bjaelke

Andreas Isaksson, Mikael Lustig, Olof Mellberg, Andreas Granqvist, Martin Olsson, Rasmus Elm, Kim Kallstrom, Sebastian Larsson, Zlatan Ibrahimovic (captain), Ola Toivonen, Markus Rosenberg.

And then there's the uppcoming game between Ukrain and Sweden. I've got no idea what so ever about the Ukrainian quality. Sweden however ... heh. Well, atleast we'll bring some laughs. :(

Sweden will do great - they have to. I got Larsson and Kallström on my fantasy team and would like to improve on my 11th place.

Mastadon

Banned

sad performance by every big football nation as of now. Hopefully the euro 2012 will ignite soon.

What? Spain v Italy was a fantastic game, and the tournament has been really entertaining thus far. Today aside of course.

Jburton

Banned

Nonsense, Italy played well, Spain played well as did Germany.

Russia where fantastic as well (not a big football nation I know).

Granqvist over Antonsson. BULLSHIT
LLShC.gif

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Did you not see Spain vs Italy?

yeah that was good. fuck these draws though, it's devastating for my gambling damnit.

I really hope Germany/Netherlands can deliver the fireworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom